Your thoughts on Limbaugh and the NFL? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Your thoughts on Limbaugh and the NFL?

Roger Goodell basically put his foot down yesterday at the NFL owners meeting in Boston saying Limbaugh has pretty much no chance of owning any team in the NFL.

PFT had a pretty funny article regarding the situation Limbaugh's reaction.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...about-exiting/

Quote:

After NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell dropped a very strong hint regarding the league's ultimate position on whether radio host Rush Limbaugh will be welcomed into the ownership club, we thought that Limbaugh might decide to simply declare victory and retreat.

He didn't. And he says he won't.

On Wednesday, in the first segment of his daily show, Limbaugh said that he's "not even thinking of exiting" the process of attempting to purchase the controlling interest in the Rams along with Dave Checketts, owner of the St. Louis Blues.

And Limbaugh focused his frustration with the opposition to his ownership on the notion that liberals don't want to see successful conservatives occupy mainstream positions, ignoring this quote that Goodell offered on Tuesday: "We're all held to a high standard here and divisive comments are not what the NFL's all about. I would not want to see those kind of comments from people who are in a responsible position in the NFL, no. Absolutely not."

Limbaugh specifically targeted Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, and those in the media who rely on Sharpton and Jackson as authorities in matters of this nature.

Regardless of whether Limbaugh is right or wrong in this regard, the point is that the guy who runs the NFL has made it fairly clear that Rush isn't welcome.

The challenge for Limbaugh moving forward will be to use the opposition to his efforts as a sword against the likes of Sharpton, Jackson, and the media without framing the issue as a question of whether it makes good business sense for the NFL to embrace a prominent and polarizing political figure into the ranks of ownership. While he might persuade many on the former point (included plenty of those not in his usual base), any suggestion from Limbaugh that the NFL doesn't have the right to make decisions based on the potential alienation of a large chunk of the fan base contradicts Limbaugh's core views regarding the manner in which American businesses should be permitted to do their business.

And that's what this ultimately is about. The league must decide whether it wants to do business with Limbaugh, just like it would have to decide whether to do business with Sharpton, if he wanted to buy a piece of a team.

But Limbaugh surely will never directly characterize the issue in that fashion.

That won't keep him from periodically throwing darts at the NFL, as he did when pointing out that Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas now owns part of the Dolphins -- and then playing a portion of the lyrics she sings in the song My Humps.

Still, the NFL has the right to embrace Fergie and reject Limbaugh, if the NFL so chooses. And any effort by Limbaugh to challenge the disparate treatment arising from the application of business judgment is not the product of conservative thought.

It's a concept that typically is pushed by liberals.
Hypocrisy is hilarious. So is trying to put the blame on liberals, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson as if they have anything to do with this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Lifer

This should not even be on the news, but they need us all to focus on limbaugh and John and Kate right now while they pass some more shit we don't want or need.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 PM
reppin tha westside

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TINFOIL HAT View Post
This should not even be on the news, but they need us all to focus on limbaugh and John and Kate right now while they pass some more shit we don't want or need.
exactly.

However as i watched that shit unfold, i wondered what kind rioting we'd see if The rev's sharpton & jackson were treated in the same way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
El Duderino.......of the Crown Royal Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Jester, your posts do the same thing as going to a county fair, you really make people think "Hey, I'm not so fucked up after looking at that guy!"

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:47 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Roger Goodell basically put his foot down yesterday at the NFL owners meeting in Boston saying Limbaugh has pretty much no chance of owning any team in the NFL.

PFT had a pretty funny article regarding the situation Limbaugh's reaction.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...about-exiting/

Hypocrisy is hilarious. So is trying to put the blame on liberals, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson as if they have anything to do with this.
Uh...Sharpton started the attacks. There will be lawsuits from this, watch.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Indeed.

Jackson was horribly misquoting Limbaugh yesterday as saying he was looking at the upside of slavery as there was no crime on the streets at night and the dude that shot Rev Martin Luther King Jr should receive a medal.

Quote:
Hypocrisy is hilarious.
And illustrated ignorance is just plain sad.

post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:52 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
I'll be curious to see if there are any. I'm not sure on what grounds you can file a lawsuit, but Jerry Jones is much shadier cocksucker than Rush and he's the NFL's angel, so I guess that has to account for something.

post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Lifer

Slander and Defamation of Character for starters

post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:07 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTKLR View Post
Slander and Defamation of Character for starters
Oh fuck those do-good "stupid motherfuckers." It will be a cold day in hell when they get convicted of something like that -- they've been doing it for 20+ years now and haven't gotten in trouble for it yet; why start now? I'm talking about Roger Goddell being hit with a lawsuit.

post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Lifer

Oh, I gotcha. Good point, too.

Goddell is in charge of a business that evidently has the right to approve Fergie owning a team but denies Rush Limbaugh the same privilege.

Sign of the times of another big business being stuck in the times of Hope and Change.

post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Resident Epicurean

I do have to wonder why someone as polarizing as Rush would want to buy an NFL team to begin with. You've gotta think he's immediately eliminating a decent amount of the teams fans. What team does he want to buy? I haven't been following this closely.

No comment on the rest.
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:13 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I do have to wonder why someone as polarizing as Rush would want to buy an NFL team to begin with. You've gotta think he's immediately eliminating a decent amount of the teams fans. What team does he want to buy? I haven't been following this closely.

No comment on the rest.
St. Louis -- Not a traditionally blue state.

post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Lifer

He wants to buy into the Rams as a partner, not as sole owner

post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Lifer

the way the NFL is structured as a private organization, that gives them the right to decide who is in and who is out.

post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Oh, I gotcha. Good point, too.

Goddell is in charge of a business that evidently has the right to approve Fergie owning a team but denies Rush Limbaugh the same privilege.

Sign of the times of another big business being stuck in the times of Hope and Change.
Big difference between a music artist and a racist radio jockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Oh fuck those do-good "stupid motherfuckers." It will be a cold day in hell when they get convicted of something like that -- they've been doing it for 20+ years now and haven't gotten in trouble for it yet; why start now? I'm talking about Roger Goddell being hit with a lawsuit.
Hahaha what? And what is he going to get sued for?

post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:21 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:

Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor!
I'm not sure on what grounds you can file a lawsuit,
Obviously, you are lacking in the reading comprehension department. I would explain to you what "reading comprehension" means, but I'm sure you wouldn't comprehend what you're reading. I've already lost you, haven't I?

post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Exactly.

Obviously, you are lacking in the reading comprehension department. I would explain to you what "reading comprehension" means, but I'm sure you wouldn't comprehend what you're reading. I've already lost you, haven't I?
I meant to quote the fellow above you.

post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:29 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Civil. Plus all the media outlets that are regurgitating a story that has been chased down to an angry blogger, never to actual real events.

Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:

How is one's money any different from the other? Are you now against capitalism?

post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
How is one's money any different from the other? Are you now against capitalism?
Money has nothing to do with it you fool. Rush Limbaugh is trying to take ownership of a team in a league where 70% of the athletes are black. He's made it pretty fucking obvious over the years that he's racist, and if he were to become owner or even part owner, the league would lose a lot of fans. And there are even players on the Rams that have come out and said they refuse to play for the Rams if he has any involvement with the team.

It's a business decision. It doesn't have shit to do with money. It would be terrible for the NFL's PR.

PS: The owner of the Colts (a WHITE guy) said he would vote Limbaugh down if it comes to that.

Last edited by Taylor; 10-14-2009 at 02:45 PM.
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Token Troll

Its BS. Since when its is that someone can afford to buy a legal enterprise, can they be turned down?

Can't wait until we're told what we can buy...

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:

Show the racism. Just because one individual doesn't believe in deep throating blacks because of something that happened 2 centuries ago doesn't qualify them as a racist.

Brent,

He's a minority partner in a group that wants to buy the Rams (home state team), plus the dude is a huge sports fan, used to work for the Royals and has been an avid Steelers fan since the 70's.

post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
Its BS. Since when its is that someone can afford to buy a legal enterprise, can they be turned down?

Can't wait until we're told what we can buy...
Since that enterprise is in agreement with the league that they have to maintain a personal conduct policy, and that Rush has voided himself of that entirely. The teams may be controlled by an owner, but they have standards to meet in order to remain in the NFL.

post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Show the racism. Just because one individual doesn't believe in deep throating blacks because of something that happened 2 centuries ago doesn't qualify them as a racist.

Here's a couple about the NFL itself:

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL,'' Limbaugh said. "The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well ... McNabb got a lot of the credit for the performance of the team that he really didn't deserve.''

Says he gets credit because he's black. That's racist.

"Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it."

Racist.

"They’re 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?"

Racist.

"Barack the Magic Negro"

Racist.

post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Since that enterprise is in agreement with the league that they have to maintain a personal conduct policy, and that Rush has voided himself of that entirely. The teams may be controlled by an owner, but they have standards to meet in order to remain in the NFL.
Ya...like all the other owners are choir boys...

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Money has nothing to do with it you fool. Rush Limbaugh is trying to take ownership of a team in a league where 70% of the athletes are black. He's made it pretty fucking obvious over the years that he's racist, and if he were to become owner or even part owner, the league would lose a lot of fans. And there are even players on the Rams that have come out and said they refuse to play for the Rams if he has any involvement with the team.

It's a business decision. It doesn't have shit to do with money. It would be terrible for the NFL's PR.
For starters, you should really try to keep the name calling to a minimum when you're statements are so erroneous. The Duke Lacrosse team and hundreds of others haven't had the money or brass tacks to deal with Jackson and Sharpton, but I believe they've just bit off more than they can chew. If you know the NFL's players are 70% black, then surely Limbaugh has that information as well. If he was indeed racist, why in the fuck would he want to invest in a bunch of black folk?!?

Quote:

Brent,

He's a minority partner in a group that wants to buy the Rams (home state team), plus the dude is a huge sports fan, used to work for the Royals and has been an avid Steelers fan since the 70's.
Don't show any common sense or state any facts. This moron is just tryin to hate, based on falsehoods. What a waste of a good college education...or is it?

post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
Ya...like all the other owners are choir boys...
Well then feel free to post up some examples of why some owners don't deserve ownership or are too polarizing to own a team. I'll be waiting.

post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:47 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL,'' Limbaugh said. "The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well ... McNabb got a lot of the credit for the performance of the team that he really didn't deserve.''

"Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it."

Racist.

Racist.

"Barack the Magic Negro"

Racist.
2nd-4th statements=lolage

post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:51 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:

Racist.

Racist.

"Barack the Magic Negro"

Racist.
Bullshit!
The first point is social commentary. And pretty damn accurate, even Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin agreed until they were told to shut up. Mcnabb was over (and can still be considered 'is') overrated. The point is, he was accurate in the way he pointed out and discussed race. He wasn't being racist by making an observation.

Had he said "Mcnabb will never be a good quarterback because he's a nigger and niggers cause crime" THAT would have been racist.

Point 2. Racially accurate. It may be a little sensitive and penetrate that soft, guilty, white skin of yours, but I present to you Pacman Jones.

12% of the population is a statement based on numbers, where is it racist?

Barack the magic negro, again, may tap your thin skin, but it's not racist and you're portraying it out of context.

And seriously, the way Obama is treated as a savior and redeemer he walks around like a magic negro.

On a side note, I bet you'd shit your pants if you saw true racism.

post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
For starters, you should really try to keep the name calling to a minimum when you're statements are so erroneous. The Duke Lacrosse team and hundreds of others haven't had the money or brass tacks to deal with Jackson and Sharpton, but I believe they've just bit off more than they can chew. If you know the NFL's players are 70% black, then surely Limbaugh has that information as well. If he was indeed racist, why in the fuck would he want to invest in a bunch of black folk?!?

Don't show any common sense or state any facts. This moron is just tryin to hate, based on falsehoods. What a waste of a good college education...or is it?
Liberals college ideology is to rid the world of free thinkers and throw create sheeples to populate the masses.

post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Lifer

you get 10 bonus points if you correctly guess the ethnicity of the singer/songwriter of Barack The Magic Negro

post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Liberals college ideology is to rid the world of free thinkers and throw create sheeples to populate the masses.
Have you been to college to experience that for yourself or are you talking out of your ass?

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:59 PM
T-MINUS

Paul Shanklin is white (I'm assuming Jewish).
Unless you're talking about Snerdley, who is in fact black.

post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:00 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Have you been to college to experience that for yourself or are you talking out of your ass?
Yes, you bag of stupid motherfucker.

I attended years ago and am currently going back to school in pursuit of my JD.

post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Yes, you bag of stupid motherfucker.

I attended years ago and am currently going back to school in pursuit of my JD.
Hahah so angsty.

Maybe you should choose a better college then. I'm about to finish my degree and I haven't seen any of this "liberal ideology" you speak of so much.

post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:

That's not racist at all, he is point out that the media is pushing a black achievement in the NFL. Turns out they do that for the president too. It is factually accurate, no matter how anybody likes it.

Quote:

Racist.
So where is the racist part of that quote. Does it say he is singling out a specific race? I think not.

Quote:

Racist.

"Barack the Magic Negro"

Racist.
Would love to hear the context on these two, but I can't make much of an argument here.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:07 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Hahah so angsty.

Maybe you should choose a better college then. I'm about to finish my degree and I haven't seen any of this "liberal ideology" you speak of so much.
Liberals tend not to see it. Just sayin'.

post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:09 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Hahah so angsty.

Really? Because you spew it just like they taught you to.

post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Racist.

Racist.

"Barack the Magic Negro"

Racist.
It's so funny watching you find talking points , but not actually understanding what racism really is. Hilarious...... let's see some more illustrations of racism from you. I'm begging you , spell it out for us how Rush is racist.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:11 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
So where is the racist part of that quote. Does it say he is singling out a specific race? I think not.
That is the dangerous and racist part of liberals. They automatically (without thought) assume the race based on word.

They categorize people into races and groups far more than conservatives do.

post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Hahah so angsty.

That is because you think it is normal. It is rampant.

If you can ever find it, take a look at a movie called "Indoctrinate U". It is about the liberal bias in colleges, as experienced by the students and the teachers themselves, from all sides of the "isle". I can't vouch for who made it or anything like that, but it is interesting to say the least.

I'm sure not "every" college is like that, but I would be willing to bet a significant number of them are.

Where do you go to school btw?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Token Union Member

I think what pisses people off the most is that Rush is good at what he does and makes millions doing it. Hell the man makes over 30 million a year so he must be doing something right. I personally think Al Sharpton and the leftist media have gone to far this time and have finally pissed Rush off. He's going to make this battle personal and is going to fight fire with fire. Al Sharpton is only around because people are affraid of him labeling them or their organization as being racist. Rush is the only one that has the balls to finally call a spade a spade and called Al Sharpton's bluff.

TRAIN TRASH it's like WHITE TRASH but with money.

My other vehicle is a Locomotive.

Don't cupple up without protection.
post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreightTrain View Post
...call a spade a spade...
RACIST!!!

post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Pro-Israel; Pro-War

Quote:

"Barack the Magic Negro"

Racist.
You are an idiot :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_the_Magic_Negro

Do you just swallow everything they tell you to, or just 90%?
post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:03 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
I think what pisses people off the most is that Rush is good at what he does and makes millions doing it. Hell the man makes over 30 million a year so he must be doing something right. I personally think Al Sharpton and the leftist media have gone to far this time and have finally pissed Rush off. He's going to make this battle personal and is going to fight fire with fire. Al Sharpton is only around because people are affraid of him labeling them or their organization as being racist. Rush is the only one that has the balls to finally call a spade a spade and called Al Sharpton's bluff.
Some estimates say he's worth right around a billion ($985M or so). Of course he's going to have haters.

And here is the outrageous view of a black man on the situation...

post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Dan Rooney (Steelers) is our amabassador to Ireland and publicly supported Obama during the election. If he can own a team then Rush should also be able to own one.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Token Union Member

Sean,

That was a great video and that got nailed it. Bunch of damn liars!!!

TRAIN TRASH it's like WHITE TRASH but with money.

My other vehicle is a Locomotive.

Don't cupple up without protection.
post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red93coupe View Post
You are an idiot :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_the_Magic_Negro

Do you just swallow everything they tell you to, or just 90%?
Maybe I am missing something, but I don’t see how that clears Limbaugh of anything…

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:00 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Sean,

That was a great video and that got nailed it. Bunch of damn liars!!!
It just shows that their temporary moral stand ends on payday.

post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Hahah so angsty.

Maybe you should have chosen a better college that could have taught you how to state an opinion using a more effective word than "Hahah" as your opener. All your statement above indicates is that mentally you are still but a boy.
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Pro-Israel; Pro-War

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
Maybe I am missing something, but I don’t see how that clears Limbaugh of anything…
Rush had no part in the creation of the of the idiom or its origin/intent.

The man's an egomaniac and a narcissist, but not a racist.

The left loves to try to paint him as such but there's no truth to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement