John Stossel jumps to Fox - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

John Stossel jumps to Fox

I love some of the stuff he does. I always wondered why he hung around with the lefty idiots at ABC.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32790058/?gt1=43001

ABC newsman John Stossel jumps to Fox
He’s trading a much bigger platform for the promise of more time on the air

Charles Dharapak / AP
ABC anchor John Stossel, a libertarian whose work earned him fiercely loyal fans at the same time he caused headaches for the network, is jumping to Fox.

updated 8:12 p.m. CT, Thurs., Sept . 10, 2009
NEW YORK - ABC anchor John Stossel, a libertarian whose work earned him fiercely loyal fans at the same time he caused headaches for the network, is jumping to Fox.

He’s trading a much bigger platform for the promise of more time on the air. Stossel will have a weekly show on the Fox Business Network, exploring libertarianism and consumer issues, and make frequent appearances on Fox News Channel, the network said on Thursday.

Stossel’s regular “Give Me a Break” segments prodded at groupthink, and he wrote best-selling books under that name and “Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity.” Yet activists have called for his firing, and the network compelled him to apologize for a 2000 report questioning the safety of organic produce.

A year later, Stossel had to film new interviews after parents objected to their children being interviewed for a show on what they were taught about the environment. Stossel said the parents were “brainwashed” by his environmental critics.

“I’m grateful to ABC for allowing me to do stories that challenged conventional wisdom, and occasionally enraged many of its viewers,” Stossel said in a blog posting. “But it’s been said that everyone should change jobs every seven years. I’ve been at ABC for 28 years.”

He said he wanted to explore the concepts of liberty and limited government. “Fox offers me more airtime and a new challenge,” he said.

Stossel had complained on his blog earlier this summer when a story he did on Canadian health care was temporarily shelved for Michael Jackson coverage on the week of the pop star’s death. The story ran later.

Stossel also carved out a specialty in family issues. Two of his ABC specials, “Teens: What Makes Them Tick” and “Love, Lust and Marriage” finished in Nielsen Media Research’s top 10 in the weeks they were aired in the late 1990s.

Roger Ailes, Fox News chairman and CEO, said Stossel “has done meaningful and important work throughout his career. His thoughtful and charismatic style has carved a unique niche in the world of television.”

Before he became an anchor on “20/20,” Stossel was a consumer reporter on ABC’s “Good Morning America” and on CBS’ New York affiliate.

Stossel follows other former ABC journalists Brit Hume and Chris Wallace in moving to Fox.

ABC said in a statement that “we will miss him.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Lifer

When the article speaks of a "much bigger platform" are they referring to his show on NBC compared to his show on Fox, or NBC compared to Fox?

Right now NBC is a sinking ship and Fox is gaining market share at an amazing pace. I guess Americans want decent news instead of the lies from NBC, ABC, and CBS.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

He was on ABC, usually on 20/20.

And yes, he will have a much wider audience on Fox. The guy is very libertarian and we all know there is nothing that gets the lefties more riled up than the truth or plain old logic. They usually respond with screaming or crying so I am not sure why this hasn't happened sooner.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
and we all know there is nothing that gets the lefties more riled up than the truth or plain old logic. They usually respond with screaming or crying
What causes this? I have come to the conclusion that they are just bad people. Evil human beings.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Lifer

Stossel Rocks.
I still remember this lol.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Token Troll

He seemed to be the only voice of real logic on 20/20. Always enjoyed him when I caught him.

Can't wait to see how he does on Fox!

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Lifer

Bravo! I am also a fan of his.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:34 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I wonder what exactly he will be doing at Fox? I'm hoping he gets his own show over there. I don't always agree with all of his libertarian views but at least he uses good logic to defend those views.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Lifer

Bravo to him... I've always enjoyed his reporting because he doesnt get caught up in the idiocracy of it all...

One of my favorites....

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
Idiocracy: it's here. We're fucked.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
I wonder what exactly he will be doing at Fox? I'm hoping he gets his own show over there. I don't always agree with all of his libertarian views but at least he uses good logic to defend those views.
This is exactly how I feel about him. I don't always agree, maybe 80% of the time but he makes a good case for whatever he is saying.

He is getting his own show.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 AM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

I don't understand the following statement from the article.

He’s trading a much bigger platform for the promise of more time on the air.

A primetime show on Fox News (if indeed it is primetime) is a much bigger platform than what he has now. I think this is a great move for him and I hope he does well.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
I don't understand the following statement from the article.

He’s trading a much bigger platform for the promise of more time on the air.

A primetime show on Fox News (if indeed it is primetime) is a much bigger platform than what he has now. I think this is a great move for him and I hope he does well.
I think the author is still trying to imply that Fox is small time.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery'sDad View Post
Stossel Rocks.
I still remember this lol.

roid rage? nawwwwwww

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Must suck to have roid rage and not even look like you lift weights lol. Used to work at a gym where the guys who were doing roids looked like their muscles were about to jump out of their shirts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement