People pulling kids out of School because of the President? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Exclamation People pulling kids out of School because of the President?

WTF?

Have people been literally listening to so many liars to the point that they don't want the President of the United States to challenge our children to get an education?

The Office of the President of the United States of America is something that every little kid in the last 100 years has looked up to. As adults, I think we can all agree we wouldn't wish that job on our worst enemies (some of you take this a little too far). But no matter what the decade was, you ask little kids what they want to be when they grow up the majority answer has always been "President".

Are we to the point now that we are going to teach our children to disrespect the President of the United States? You are in turn taking away the influential power of the office for any person who sits in it in the future.

Let's get this straight:

We live in the 48th(ish) state in education and so we're going to pull kids out of school, or prevent them from hearing from one of the most influential persons (The Office of the President of the United States of America) challenging them to get an education???

WTF?

"We believe that politics should be taught in home, and should stay out of schools." - A parent on the news.

OK. Here's an idea, actually do that!!!! TEACH YOUR POLITICAL BELIEF SYSTEM BY LETTING YOUR CHILDERN HEAR FROM THE OTHER SIDE AND THEN ACTUALLY EXPLAIN TO THEM WHY YOU DISAGREE!!!!

Let your childern listen to the Leader of the FREE WORLD, and ask them what they learned. If you have a problem with anything they tell you, then teach them your opinions.

And stop destroying the American tradition of respect for the Office despite the man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 AM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8 View Post

We live in the 48th(ish) state in education and so we're going to pull kids out of school, or prevent them from hearing from one of the most influential persons (The Office of the President of the United States of America) challenging them to get an education???

How much do you think illegal immigration contributes to that 48th place finish and do you have a link to the study?
post #3 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Lifer

Your words fall on deaf ears here lol. Obama is not the first President to do this and won't be the last but he's going to take shit for it just because he's a Democrat.

The nuts in here do their darndest to make something out of absolutely nothing. I'm not even sure they believe all the shit they type sometimes.

post #4 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
The nuts in here do their darndest to make something out of absolutely nothing. I'm not even sure they believe all the shit they type sometimes.
They have no belief system; they only have a conspiracy theorist ideology because they're all Limbaugh puppets. LOL

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #5 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
and do you have a link to the study?
Nah, that's why I put "ish". I just know last I heard we're in the bottom 5.

The point you're missing is that pulling a child OUT OF SCHOOL for a day because the President wants to CHALLENGE THEM TO GET AN EDUCATION is pretty fucked up.

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #6 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Token Troll

Its not so much the speech, but what's being forced after the speech:
Quote:
During the Speech:

• As the President speaks, teachers can ask students to write down key ideas or phrases that are important or personally meaningful. Students could use a note-taking graphic organizer such as a Cluster Web, or students could record their thoughts on sticky notes. Younger children can draw pictures and write as appropriate. As students listen to the speech, they could think about the following:

What is the President trying to tell me?

What is the President asking me to do?

What new ideas and actions is the President challenging me to think about?

• Students can record important parts of the speech where the President is asking them to do something. Students might think about: What specific job is he asking me to do? Is he asking anything of anyone else? Teachers? Principals? Parents? The American people?

• Students can record any questions they have while he is speaking and then discuss them after the speech. Younger children may need to dictate their questions.

After the Speech:

• Teachers could ask students to share the ideas they recorded, exchange sticky notes or stick notes on a butcher paper poster in the classroom to discuss main ideas from the speech, i.e. citizenship, personal responsibility, civic duty.
• Students could discuss their responses to the following questions:

What do you think the President wants us to do?

Does the speech make you want to do anything?

Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us?
Which bugs me because even if you don't agree, your kids are being put into a position to agree with the politics by answering the questions, or being set up to be the bad guy if you disagree.

You can bet the speech is all going to be roses and butterflies and your a nut-job if you think otherwise.

Do tell, please, of other past Presidents doing this? I'm looking for links, please.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #7 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:12 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Why do we need another thread about this?

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=398536

post #8 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

BTW, I would disagree with this kind of forced face time if it was Bush or hell, even Reagan.

To me, regardless of who is in front of them, it could lead to indoctrination of the nations children to turn against their parents if they do not agree with the speaker.

post #9 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
Do tell, please, of other past Presidents doing this? I'm looking for links, please.
Dude, Reagan was all over school in my day. I don't have links because they didn't exsist back then.

post #10 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Dude, Reagan was all over school in my day. I don't have links because they didn't exsist back then.
Really? Because I have no memory of Reagan on TV in the classroom...ever.

Only thing I ever saw on TV in the classroom was the shuttle with the teacher going up....then going up.

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #11 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Really? Because I have no memory of Reagan on TV in the classroom...ever.

Only thing I ever saw on TV in the classroom was the shuttle with the teacher going up....then going up.
I guess you forgot the "Just say No" campaign?

Sorry, I'm picturing you sitting there saying "No, sure don't" while lighting up a blunt. LOL. J/K.

post #12 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
I guess you forgot the "Just say No" campaign?

Sorry, I'm picturing you sitting there saying "No, sure don't" while lighting up a blunt. LOL. J/K.
That was Nancy. And it was drug use. And it wasn't on TV in class room, but during my damn Saturday morning cartoons!

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #13 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 AM
$uper $low

Quote:

Which bugs me because even if you don't agree, your kids are being put into a position to agree with the politics by answering the questions, or being set up to be the bad guy if you disagree.

OP, please address these points.

post #14 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
That was Nancy. And it was drug use. And it wasn't on TV in class room, but during my damn Saturday morning cartoons!
So saying No to Drugs is ok, but saying YES to Education is not?

And it was a different time, there weren't TV's in classrooms in the 80's. If there were, he'd have been on there.

post #15 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
You know his speech already? Because I haven't seen the subject posted yet.

Until I see every word, I'm not trusting his speech.

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #16 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Quote:

And it was a different time, there weren't TV's in classrooms in the 80's. If there were, he'd have been on there.
Get your story straight. Which is it?

post #17 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
You know his speech already? Because I haven't seen the subject posted yet.

Until I see every word, I'm not trusting his speech.
WTF? You think he's going to talk Healthcare or the Economy to 2nd Graders???

post #18 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Maybe he just wants to apologize for taxing their asses into oblivion.
post #19 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Lifer

I remember watching Reagan a couple times in school, he had a messages to kids one was anti-communist, the other was about panama if I remember right, we also had an address from the pope. Bush I had a couple taped messages that we had to watch I think they were all anti drug.

post #20 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
I bet it won't be about supporting our troops or letting parents keep more of their hard earned money. Kids are extremely impressionable and exposing them to Liberal rhetoric when they should be learning about the Boston Tea Party does bother me.

Do the conservatives get a chance to speak after Obama is done? They would if it were a state of the union address. If there is anything political at all in his speech then it shouldn't be allowed in the class room.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #21 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Blah blah blah

And stop destroying the American tradition of respect for the Office despite the man.
Yeah, the tradition of disrespect for the office and the man in that office started Jan. 20th, 2009, right? I have heard very few personal comments about Obama, and a ton of comments about his policies. I heard all kinds of personal and political lies and hatred towards Bush from your far left fanatical friends, so get out of here with your hypocrisy.

I think it started a long tie ago and reached it's low point some time between Jan. 20th, 2001 and Jan. 20th, 2009, not after it.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #22 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Bullet Sponge

The issue is he refuses to provide a transcript or preview of what he is going to talk about, it's being pushed by some teachers as a chance to pledge to Obama. Hell no.
post #23 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
The issue is he refuses to provide a transcript or preview of what he is going to talk about, it's being pushed by some teachers as a chance to pledge to Obama. Hell no.
I guess if you are inclined to trust Obama and the typical liberal PS teacher (yeah I know they are not all liberal) then you might be okay with this deal. I have my daughter in private Christian school for this type of stuff happening. The main reason is safety, becuase FWISD sucks when it comes to safety, especially at the MS and HS levels.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #24 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
IA2

A lot of the teachers are right there with obama as liberal democrats.

My wife works in a school and she constantly has to bite her tongue to keep her job as the liberals around her put down conservatives and conservative values.

It is the activities that the teachers may do after his speech that I don't particularly like/trust. Am i pulling my kids out? No. Will we have a chat after obama speaks his piece? You bet.

And besides, the kids need to be learning about math, science, and reading, and not wasting time on watching a community service message from the president. Their school year is already compromised timewise as it is.
post #25 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
WTF?

Have people been literally listening to so many liars to the point that they don't want the President of the United States to challenge our children to get an education?

The Office of the President of the United States of America is something that every little kid in the last 100 years has looked up to. As adults, I think we can all agree we wouldn't wish that job on our worst enemies (some of you take this a little too far). But no matter what the decade was, you ask little kids what they want to be when they grow up the majority answer has always been "President".

Are we to the point now that we are going to teach our children to disrespect the President of the United States? You are in turn taking away the influential power of the office for any person who sits in it in the future.

Let's get this straight:

WTF?

"We believe that politics should be taught in home, and should stay out of schools." - A parent on the news.

OK. Here's an idea, actually do that!!!! TEACH YOUR POLITICAL BELIEF SYSTEM BY LETTING YOUR CHILDERN HEAR FROM THE OTHER SIDE AND THEN ACTUALLY EXPLAIN TO THEM WHY YOU DISAGREE!!!!

Let your childern listen to the Leader of the FREE WORLD, and ask them what they learned. If you have a problem with anything they tell you, then teach them your opinions.

Congratulations, Maston, for regurgitating every fucking last word you heard on Dunham and Miller this morning. I realize, you can't look to any other news source than the Ticket, but when you regurgitate what they say on air, WORD FOR FUCKING WORD, it makes you look like just as much of a plaigarist as SVTVenom.
post #26 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post

My wife works in a school and she constantly has to bite her tongue to keep her job as the liberals around her put down conservatives and conservative values.

It is the activities that the teachers may do after his speech that I don't particularly like/trust. Am i pulling my kids out? No. Will we have a chat after obama speaks his piece? You bet.

And besides, the kids need to be learning about math, science, and reading, and not wasting time on watching a community service message from the president. Their school year is already compromised timewise as it is.
I understand that it will be simulcast on C-SPAN so parents can record it and watch it later.

http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html

I would prefer that the schools and parents were able to preview it and THEN make a decision on whether the kids will see it or not. Is that censorship? Why, yes it is, but I think censoring what kids see and hear is a parent's right. At the very least, the parent should know what is being fed to the kids beforehand.

post #27 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Lifer

Im in the computer lab right now at Keller High reading this.. lol.

The teahcers are going to force us to write down infomation about his speech, have us give them opinions about what we think, and this is for a quiz grade.

This is bullshit.

On another note, they are having mandatory drug tests for non-UIL student. If I am asked, I will not submit to a drug test and file a lawsuit.

Schools are liberal factories these days.

NO NO NO, it should be DFWLS1's, CUMMINS, C6 VETTES.net
post #28 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post

Yep most teachers are liberals. I'm marrying one so I know...

Everyday I ask, "What liberal propaganda BS did you teach today?"

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #29 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffrazr View Post
Well, hold on now. The fact that the teacher is asking high school students to take notes, then get your opinion is very similar to a book report. As long as it is graded on the amount of content, and not the content of your opinion, then that is completely acceptible.
Liberals can't distinguish between the two. I know a guy that failed a college Comp class, due to the content of one of his major papers. It was about the death penalty. He agreed with it, with the exception that we don't need to waste taxpayers money to keep death row inmates alive for 15+ years before they are put out of their misery. It was a VERY well written paper, and fell right within the guidelines given.
post #30 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Lifer

post #31 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:

You can bet the speech is all going to be roses and butterflies and your a nut-job if you think otherwise.

What part of that says they have to agree with that he says? I think the whole point is to have something to debate in the classroom. You also act like every teacher is a Democrat or something.

post #32 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Liberals can't distinguish between the two. I know a guy that failed a college Comp class, due to the content of one of his major papers. It was about the death penalty. He agreed with it, with the exception that we don't need to waste taxpayers money to keep death row inmates alive for 15+ years before they are put out of their misery. It was a VERY well written paper, and fell right within the guidelines given.
If he did infact fail the class over ONE paper (which seems highly unlikely) and didn't take it to the dean to challenge the professor then its his own fault he failed the class.

post #33 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
You also act like every teacher is a Democrat or something.
The overwhelming majority of them, are. Have you ever stepped foot in a school?

Robert - He didn't pursue anything. Ended up going to a different school the next semester anyhow.
post #34 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of them, are. Have you ever stepped foot in a school?

Yeah. My mom is a high school teacher and I bet you 75% of the teachers are Republicans and run conservative, Christian households.

post #35 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Congratulations, Maston, for regurgitating every fucking last word you heard on Dunham and Miller this morning. I realize, you can't look to any other news source than the Ticket, but when you regurgitate what they say on air, WORD FOR FUCKING WORD, it makes you look like just as much of a plaigarist as SVTVenom.
Ouch!

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #36 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Yeah. My mom is a high school teacher and I bet you 75% of the teachers are Republicans and run conservative, Christian households.

I recall ONE teacher I had, that was a Christian and a Republican. ONE. He was my Biology teacher and was also a basketball coach.
post #37 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:

What school is this?

I know a lot of teachers, and I'm going to say over 75% of the ones i know from various schools are very Liberal.

post #38 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Hunt James for President

Thumbs up

Quote:
congratulations, maston, for regurgitating every fucking last word you heard on dunham and miller this morning. I realize, you can't look to any other news source than the ticket, but when you regurgitate what they say on air, word for fucking word, it makes you look like just as much of a plaigarist as svtvenom.
zing!

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #39 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadracer3 View Post
zing!

Notice he shut the fuck up. That's all I really wanted. Maston is like a case of herpes. Flares up every few weeks, can't substantiate any shit he spews, and promptly disappears when given the proper treatment.
post #40 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:58 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Quote:
Notice he shut the fuck up. That's all I really wanted. Maston is like a case of herpes. Flares up every few weeks, can't substantiate any shit he spews, and promptly disappears when given the proper treatment.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #41 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:

good job and very nicely played. i can't believe he unclenched his hands from obama's nuts long enough to start the thread. but then again, he probably just did the old "cut and paste".

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #42 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadracer3 View Post
good job and very nicely played. i can't believe he unclenched his hands from obama's nuts long enough to start the thread. but then again, he probably just did the old "cut and paste".
I was obviously listening to the Musers this AM, on my way to Waco. This is one of the first few threads I checked out when I got back, simply because it was at the top of the list. It's like I was listening to Dunham, Miller, and Gordon all over again. I swear it's like he typed this up as he was listening to that segment of the show.
post #43 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Lifer

I heard the same thing on the Ticket this morning, and it is funny to see it barfed up into text and that he got called for it. I do agree with the point of the post. Pulling your kids out of school to keep them from hearing the big bad boogey man is pretty fucking dumb, especially when it's the President of the United States. Take a listen to what he has to say, form an opinion, and discuss with your children. Who knows, it may encourage them to do well in school!
post #44 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You being one yourself of course.
post #45 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Lifer

Fiancee just got this email....

President Obama will be addressing the nation's students on September 8, 2009 at approximately 11:00 a.m. The speech will be broadcast in a variety of formats. While this is an event that many of you will want to view, we do not have the luxury of stopping the formal instructional process in a variety of classes. As with the inauguration, some content areas lend themselves to such events, and such activities may be covered in course TEKS. The speech will be rebroadcast numerous times, so ultimately students will have an opportunity to hear the address. Students should not watch the speech in multiple classes.

If you are planning to incorporate the speech into your curriculum/class, please let ******* know today. We need to ensure that the technology is working. Some students may not wish to watch the speech and parents may object to their son/daughter viewing the speech.
CFISD has decided that a student (or parent) may opt out of participating in the viewing and there will be no alternative assignment or penalty associated with the student's/parent's choice. We will plan for an alternate site and supervision for these students.

Your help in this event is greatly appreciated. Should you wish to learn more about the address you can access the District's documents on www.cfisd.net.

Again, please let **** know today so that she can ensure correct connectivity.

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 09-03-2009 at 01:54 PM.
post #46 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Lifer

You need to **** out the name at the bottom too.
post #47 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Our school district (of a population of over 100,000) announced today that they will NOT be broadcasting the speech Tuesday. I am so proud.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #48 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
You need to **** out the name at the bottom too.
Thanks, I knew I saw it in there twice.

post #49 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:55 PM
T-MINUS

My problem is not with the kids listening to the president.

My problem is with a man that is president that I don't trust, at all, trying to weasel his way into children's head and discuss things that a lot of people don't buy into. He is sneaky, deceitful, dishonest and controlling.

If it were strictly to push education, fine. But it won't be. It is coming across as a worship workshop to the great one.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #50 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

I would be more concerned over the 'pop quiz' type paper they are given after the speech.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement