How the mighty fall - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
IA2

How the mighty fall

is the title of a new book i'm reading. The author describes 5 stages of a failing company which are: 1. hubris born of success, 2. Undisciplined pursuit of more, 3. Denial of risk and peril, 4. Grasping for salvation, and 5. Capitulation to irrelevance or death.

Which is all interesting and stuff, but when I read the signs that occur for stage 4, and as I compared the US to a corporation - it got really interesting.

Quote:
1. Grasping for a leader as savior.The board responds to threats and setbacks by searching for a charismatic leader and/or outside savior.

Mikeb: So we have obama to fill the role of leader as savior. We even call him the messiah.

2. Panic and Haste. Instead of being calm, deliberate, and disciplined, people exhibit hasty, reactive behavior, bordering on panic.

Mikeb: One only has to look at the torrid pace that comgress has been keeping, passing bills without reading them and so on. The panic mode of the first stimulus bill also comes to mind.

4. Radical change and "revolution" with fanfare. The language of revoultion and radical change characterizes the new era. New Programs! New Cultures! New strategies! Leaders engage in hoopla, sending a lot of energy trying to align and motivate people, engaging in buzzwords and taglines.

Mikeb: obama is all about revolution and change.

5. Hype precedes results. Instead of setting expectations low - underscoring the duration and difficulty of the turnaround - leaders hype their visions, they sell the future to compensate for the lack of current results, initiating a pattern of overpromising and underdelivering.

Mikeb: Check. Plenty of hype about what obama is gonna do. Lots of promises, few results.

6. Initial upswing followed by disappointments. There is an initial burst of positive results, but they do not last; dashed hope follows dashed hope; the organization achieves no buildup, no cumulative momentum.

Mikeb: I believe that this is in play now. There are several videos on drudge showing people shouting down politicians, including lloyd doggett. Dashed hope is right.

7. Confusion and cynicism. People cannot easily articulate what the organization stands for; core values have eroded to the point of irrelevance; people lose faith in their ability to triumph and prevail.

Mikeb: Look at the staff that obama has surrounded himself with. Useful idiots.
The discouraging thing is that these are markers of stage 4 - grasping for salvation. If you think of the US as a very dysfunctional company, we're about to drop into stage 5 - capitulation to irrelevance or death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Freethinker

If this is true and America is about to die. What are you gonna do to stop it? Or will you even try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
....LMAO @.... trying to figure out how to make a Utopian society!
In a perfect world the police would get paid to do nothing. So next time you see a cop eatin a donut, Yell.. Hey! Good Job!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Variable-speed-Limits
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Bullet Sponge

I think we're heading for step 8: Complete meltdown and massive restructuring of the company

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 svo View Post
If this is true and America is about to die. What are you gonna do to stop it? Or will you even try?
Knowing that any action on our level will be too little to make any difference, there's nothing people like us can do. I know several that WOULD do something, but it is still not enough to do squat. So Mike will probably do what I will be doing... taking care of my family as theis roller coaster gets going.

Many of us have done our fair share (and sin some cases more) to make this country a better place, but the majority is so great, that it is just enough to keep treading water with a slight regression. That can only go on for so long.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Time Served

Dont forget the step where the "company" gets so weak it gets taken over by another "company".

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammy View Post
Dont forget the step where the "company" gets so weak it gets taken over by another "company".
This company has already been taken over by many other companies.

Quote:
In a perfect world the police would get paid to do nothing. So next time you see a cop eatin a donut, Yell.. Hey! Good Job!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

An excellent comparison.

I only hope we can do the restructuring ourselves from within instead of crying and watching the Chinese or the Muslims do it their way.

DFWMustangs.net
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
IA2

Quote:
This is a rather pointed question, so i'll put it back to you - what would you suggest I do? What would be the most effective strategy here?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
This is a rather pointed question, so i'll put it back to you - what would you suggest I do? What would be the most effective strategy here?
As good as an analogy as it sounds, America is not a company that can simply go out of business and shut its doors.

Divide and conquer.

Quote:

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Quote:
As good as an analogy as it sounds, America is not a company that can simply go out of business and shut its doors.

Divide and conquer.
You missed the point entirely.

I never said that the US was a company. What I said was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Which is all interesting and stuff, but when I read the signs that occur for stage 4, and as I compared the US to a corporation - it got really interesting.
Comparing the US to a corporation is NOT saying that the US is in any way a corporation. That's like comparing an apple to an orange, and by the act of comparing the two somehow the apple is expected to be like an orange.

It got really interesting because the steps that are being taken now by the obama administration are the exact same steps that a dying corporation takes on its way out. I thought that was very interesting.

Oh, and the US can't fail? Wrong. History has shown that most democracies/republics are dead after about 200 years. Why? Mainly because the people figure out that they can vote themselves money from the public coffers. After that it's all over. And you can throw in moral decay and corruption as helping factors too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement