Soldiers returning from Iraq - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Soldiers returning from Iraq

Is it normal for the family to have to pay for last phase of the trip home? My brother-in-law is returning in August problems is they are flying him to ElPaso. They told him we could come and get him or he could get a bus home all at our expense. My question is the normal protocol?

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Boost is Life

I don't honestly know, but I'd assume the Military views his "home" as where he is stationed. Is he normally stationed at Fort Bliss? If so, I can definitely see him having to pay his own way back to his real home.

DamonH
2006 F150 SCrew
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
I don't honestly know, but I'd assume the Military views his "home" as where he is stationed. Is he normally stationed at Fort Bliss? If so, I can definitely see him having to pay his own way back to his real home.
NO he is in the army national guard, his home base is in Wylie. They are paying for a bus ride. There are 160 guys looks like it would be cheaper to fly them on one plane vs. 5 or 6 busses. When they were deployed the flew out of DFW.

Quote:

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Bullet Sponge

I don't know how the guard does it, but active duty is flown back to your unit and you're responsible if you want to go anywhere else.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Lifer

heard on the radio today there is a vet from iraq war #1 riding his tractor from missouri to washington to jump in washingtons ass.they say hes real sick and the VA won't care for him.

when i tuned in he had just crossed over into ohio.

RON PAUL '08
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Lifer

The guys from the 2-149th out of Grand Prairie were flown to Fort Sill Oklahoma and bused back to Grand Prairie when they came back from Iraq...

I suspect its the same thing. They process them out at an Active Duty base that has the staff to handle it and then bus them home...

160 guys at $99 each is about $15k. They can probably charter a bus for $1k a piece... cheap bastards... its the military, nothing is normal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
Idiocracy: it's here. We're fucked.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Lifer

At least he got back to Texas. I know of a few guys who just got a flight stateside and left to figure out how to get to back to where they needed to be.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Bullet Sponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83 View Post
heard on the radio today there is a vet from iraq war #1 riding his tractor from missouri to washington to jump in washingtons ass.they say hes real sick and the VA won't care for him.

when i tuned in he had just crossed over into ohio.
You know..if I knew where he was, I'd trailer my Massey and Join him
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Dan View Post
160 guys at $99 each is about $15k. They can probably charter a bus for $1k a piece... cheap bastards... its the military, nothing is normal...

My dad had to literally hitchhike from Scott AFB in St Louis to Nellis when he was transferred. Then again he spent over a month waiting in LA for a flight to Hawaii when he transferred there.

Times have changed!

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
The guys from the 2-149th out of Grand Prairie were flown to Fort Sill Oklahoma and bused back to Grand Prairie when they came back from Iraq...

I suspect its the same thing. They process them out at an Active Duty base that has the staff to handle it and then bus them home...

C-130=Free ride to joint reserve. I'll take care of the rest.

Quote:
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
My dad had to literally hitchhike from Scott AFB in St Louis to Nellis when he was transferred. Then again he spent over a month waiting in LA for a flight to Hawaii when he transferred there.

Times have changed!
I cant imagine making them hitch hike... I'm glad its changed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camino View Post
C-130=Free ride to joint reserve. I'll take care of the rest.
I was thinking about a MAC flight but I wasn't sure how many they had between El Paso and JRB...

I've made my own travel arrangements and called the travel office before... they don't have the same sense of urgency that you do when you're trying to get home... bastards... Good luck with his trip... glad he's home and thanks for his service...

Quote:
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
You know..if I knew where he was, I'd trailer my Massey and Join him
they said he had just crossed over from kentucky i think into ohio and was sitting on a bridge.he even took his shredder with him so if on the way back he could mow fields for deisle money to get his ass home.wish i could join him myself.

he was having trouble with reading maps and was wanting someone to send him a GPS unit and deisel moneys.thats a standup guy riding a tractor to washington to rep. all sick vets not getting attention.

the kicker is the guy isn't that old and has a wife and 5 kids at home.if he can do it any of us lazy sacks can.

fuck it,im gonna get more info and help this guy out.anyone wanna contribute?

starting a new thread.didn't mean to hi-jack.

RON PAUL '08

Last edited by fast83; 07-28-2009 at 03:34 PM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
Is it normal for the family to have to pay for last phase of the trip home? My brother-in-law is returning in August problems is they are flying him to ElPaso. They told him we could come and get him or he could get a bus home all at our expense. My question is the normal protocol?
FUCK THAT They have to pay to return him to his duty station. If he's a reservist based out of El Paso then yea....
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:

same with us, we were flown into baltimore and bussed to NC
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
I cant imagine making them hitch hike... I'm glad its changed...

I was thinking about a MAC flight but I wasn't sure how many they had between El Paso and JRB...

I've made my own travel arrangements and called the travel office before... they don't have the same sense of urgency that you do when you're trying to get home... bastards... Good luck with his trip... glad he's home and thanks for his service...
Check with VR 59...I know they go to alot of places, dunno about Bliss though.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Lifer

A Southwest flight from El Paso would be pretty cheap into Love Field. He'd wish he was back in Iraq after a 14-16 hour bus ride on a Greyhound.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 PM
DFWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83 View Post
they said he had just crossed over from kentucky i think into ohio and was sitting on a bridge.he even took his shredder with him so if on the way back he could mow fields for deisle money to get his ass home.wish i could join him myself.

he was having trouble with reading maps and was wanting someone to send him a GPS unit and deisel moneys.thats a standup guy riding a tractor to washington to rep. all sick vets not getting attention.

the kicker is the guy isn't that old and has a wife and 5 kids at home.if he can do it any of us lazy sacks can.

fuck it,im gonna get more info and help this guy out.anyone wanna contribute?

starting a new thread.didn't mean to hi-jack.
thats very cool!!! your thread link... https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=396023

Keepin' The Old School Alive
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Out

There was no Space A on a "C" ship that could get him closer?
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX View Post
Check with VR 59...I know they go to alot of places, dunno about Bliss though.
I enjoyed my time as a puddle pirate but I'm done brother... my son is at MCRD San Diego as we speak... I've never been so proud of him...

Semper Fi my son...

Quote:
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
A Southwest flight from El Paso would be pretty cheap into Love Field. He'd wish he was back in Iraq after a 14-16 hour bus ride on a Greyhound.
Thats after being in the air for around 30hrs. They told us we could him out on Southwest but someone has to come "sign" him out, whatever that means, I guess they have to release him to someone. LOL Knowing the Gov. they will spend more money on the bus fare.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:43 AM
duh...duh....duh

Just curious, has any of this been run up his chain of command and they are declining it?

My '03 Sold.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Just curious, has any of this been run up his chain of command and they are declining it?
This is for the whole unit, there are 160 of them since they are attached to the unit in El Paso thats were they are flying them to. They army is providing bus rides for them. We were all kinda hoping to get to go to DFW and give them a Heroes welcome like they deserve. I guess we can plan a big welcome home when the buses arrive and let the media no this is how they are treated.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
This is for the whole unit, there are 160 of them since they are attached to the unit in El Paso thats were they are flying them to. They army is providing bus rides for them. We were all kinda hoping to get to go to DFW and give them a Heroes welcome like they deserve. I guess we can plan a big welcome home when the buses arrive and let the media no this is how they are treated.
In case you have not noticed, the media does not and never has cared about the military beyond sensationalism. If they did, they'd report all the real problems that exist 24x7. I doubt the media will give 2 shits about this.

Oh and the media would report all the positive going on in Iraq/other places.

My '03 Sold.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Thats after being in the air for around 30hrs. They told us we could him out on Southwest but someone has to come "sign" him out, whatever that means, I guess they have to release him to someone. LOL Knowing the Gov. they will spend more money on the bus fare.
There put all kinds of restrictions on returning soldiers. An example being, the guys from the 2-149th weren't allowed to drive vehicles until they arrived home. It was recommended they didn't drive for a few weeks...

Quote:
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
There put all kinds of restrictions on returning soldiers. An example being, the guys from the 2-149th weren't allowed to drive vehicles until they arrived home. It was recommended they didn't drive for a few weeks...
I can understand why, the last time he was here he had a-lot of driving prob.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
I can understand why, the last time he was here he had a-lot of driving prob.
Especially if while deployed he/she did not drive at all. When I was not driving for 6-11ish months at a time, I would not drive home from the airport. I'd wait until the next day to get confident again in low traffic.

My '03 Sold.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

This is the last thing he drove in Iraq

Sponsored Links
Advertisement