Write your congressman? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Write your congressman?

You always hear everyone saying, if you don't like it, then write your congressman! Even all the talk radio show hosts are always telling people to do it. Well, I have a hard time believing that the congressman is going to read that letter. Will anyone read that letter? Or does some intern just throw them all in the recycling bin? What actually happens if I write a letter, saying that he better do a certain thing or he won't be able to count on my vote next time? You know, just a typical letter saying how I want the guy I helped put in office to represent me. Does that letter get read by someone who even has any interaction with the man? I doubt it. And there is no way he himself can ever sit there and read them all. He would have to sit there reading them all day every day of his term in office. He would never get to do the rest of his job. So wtf? How does this help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:14 PM
makin' bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
You always hear everyone saying, if you don't like it, then write your congressman! Even all the talk radio show hosts are always telling people to do it. Well, I have a hard time believing that the congressman is going to read that letter. Will anyone read that letter? Or does some intern just throw them all in the recycling bin? What actually happens if I write a letter, saying that he better do a certain thing or he won't be able to count on my vote next time? You know, just a typical letter saying how I want the guy I helped put in office to represent me. Does that letter get read by someone who even has any interaction with the man? I doubt it. And there is no way he himself can ever sit there and read them all. He would have to sit there reading them all day every day of his term in office. He would never get to do the rest of his job. So wtf? How does this help?
Umm, not that many people actually write their congressman. I doubt they even get 2-300 letters a week. But I do understand where you are coming from.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Lifer

You'll get a generic reply letter.

If the item is a hot topic and a majority of their constituents press the issue, it may be looked into.

But after that not much is gonna happen. I interned in a senators office and one of the jobs Id have to do every now and then would be mail merge of addresses for the generic letter. In which would then be databased for campaign mailings.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Bullet Sponge

I've had good luck with letters sent to Senator Cornyn. He got on the ball with Immigration to get my wife here and writes me back when I talk him about gun control and vets rights. His office personelle send him the ones that he may like personally and answer the rest
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Lifer

get a bunch of people to flood his phones,that gets attention on the double.

RON PAUL '08
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
I've had good luck with letters sent to Senator Cornyn. He got on the ball with Immigration to get my wife here and writes me back when I talk him about gun control and vets rights. His office personelle send him the ones that he may like personally and answer the rest

I also had good luck with Greg Abbott when he was still the AG of Texas. Not a representative, but he responded personally as well as called me. The shit gets read by his staff, some of which gets escalated to him.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 AM
IA2

I think that the staff have to read them and compile stats on what the hot issues are. And the staff generates a generic reply letter. So your letter becomes a small statistic in the overall scheme of things. And with the 2010 elections on the way every letter helps press the important issues like not passing the health care bullshit. And if they ignore what the people are telling them then they'll remember when we kick their ass out of office.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement