Would atheists make better police officers? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Would atheists make better police officers?

In our country we allow freedom of religion. Does that mean we should not allow certain religions to hold positions of authority? I am sure every Muslim could be linked to a terrorist. So does that mean we should not allow any Muslim to be a police officer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
....LMAO @.... trying to figure out how to make a Utopian society!
In a perfect world the police would get paid to do nothing. So next time you see a cop eatin a donut, Yell.. Hey! Good Job!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Variable-speed-Limits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:53 AM
$uper $low

I think we should do something to prevent retards from posting their bait threads.

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:58 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 svo View Post
In our country we allow freedom of religion. Does that mean we should not allow certain religions to hold positions of authority? I am sure every Muslim could be linked to a terrorist. So does that mean we should not allow any Muslim to be a police officer?
I'm good with that.

Here is the problem with your stupid scenario, the tables turn. Take affirmative action for example. Due to massive amounts of white guilt a leg-up program was initiated. And because the white majority didn't have the stomach to institute border security, English as the official language and so on, our society has been overrun with minorities. As such, whites will become the minority very soon (if not already) and the laws we passed to give the not-quite-as-worthy a leg up will cripple us to the point that we start using the laws to our good.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You try way too hard to make a point.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I'm good with that.

Here is the problem with your stupid scenario, the tables turn. Take affirmative action for example. Due to massive amounts of white guilt a leg-up program was initiated. And because the white majority didn't have the stomach to institute border security, English as the official language and so on, our society has been overrun with minorities. As such, whites will become the minority very soon (if not already) and the laws we passed to give the not-quite-as-worthy a leg up will cripple us to the point that we start using the laws to our good.
Whats wrong with using those laws to our advantage? Its a viscous cycle. The smarter harder working people should be the dominant race. The way you make it sound, even if we do become the minority, we will eventually rise up again.

Quote:
In a perfect world the police would get paid to do nothing. So next time you see a cop eatin a donut, Yell.. Hey! Good Job!

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:27 PM
He's no good to me dead.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty and Tyranny, Chapter 3
Is it possible that there is no Natural Law and man can know moral order and unalienable rights from his own reasoning, unaided by the supernatural or God? There are, of course, those who argue this case—including the Atheist and others who attempt to distinguish Natural Law from Divine Providence. It is not the view adopted by the Founders. This position would, it seems, lead man to arbitrarily create his own morality and rights, or create his own arbitrary morality and rights—right and wrong, just and unjust, good and bad, would be relative concepts susceptible to circumstantial applications. Moreover, by what justification would “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness” be “unalienable Rights” if there is no Natural Law, since reason alone cannot make them inviolable? What then is Natural Law if its origin is unknown or rejected? It is nothing more than a human construct. An individual may benefit from the moral order and unalienable rights around which society functions while rejecting their Divine origin. But the civil society cannot organize itself that way. It would become unstable and vulnerable to anarchy and tyranny, imperiling all within it, especially the individual. The abandonment of Natural Law is the adoption of tyranny in one form or another, because there is no humane or benevolent alternative to Natural Law.

In Saudi Arabia, the Basic Law provides that “the nation’s constitution consists of the Quran and the Sunna, the actions and sayings of the prophet as recorded in the Hadith…. [S]upreme religious councils dictate how Islamic law is applied and, to a large extent, have veto power over legislation.”5 Islamic law, or sharia, dictates the most intricate aspects of daily life, from politics and finance to dating and hygiene. There is not, and never has been, support for a national construct of this sort in America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry Goldwater, 1964
“those who elevate the state and downgrade the citizen must see ultimately a world in which earthly power can be substituted for Divine Will, and this Nation was founded upon the rejection of that notion and upon the acceptance of God as the author of freedom.”
Does this sum it up for you?

Last edited by Bobba Fett; 07-27-2009 at 12:48 PM.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I think we should do something to prevent retards from posting their bait threads.
So how am I baiting you? Is there something you are scared to say?

Quote:

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobba Fett View Post
So what do we do when a new religion becomes as popular as Christianity was in the beginning? A religion with slightly different beliefs.

Quote:

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM
He's no good to me dead.

Quote:
So what do we do when a new religion becomes as popular as Christianity was in the beginning? A religion with slightly different beliefs.
Wrong forum, that's what. Take it to the religious forum if you want spectulation on that, but let's try to stay on topic while we're here.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Num say'n? (tm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I'll second that motion.

Quote:
Whats wrong with using those laws to our advantage? Its a viscous cycle. The smarter harder working people should be the dominant race. The way you make it sound, even if we do become the minority, we will eventually rise up again.
The Nazis were right all along, huh?

DFWMustangs.net
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135 View Post
I'll second that motion.

The Nazis were right all along, huh?
The Nazis were trying to eradicate people. I believe in natural selection myself. The problem is overpopulation. If we are going to survive as a species, we have to limit the amount of people born on this planet. The Apocalypse many religions speak of is nothing more than the final years of using up all our resources.
Every species has put someone in charge of their lives. Those things in charge are merely the next step in evolution. For instance, we make sure that cattle are healthy and disease free. We take care of our dogs.
We are the keepers of the earth. Maybe now its time for the earth to be our keeper.

Think Matrix

Quote:

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The phrase "Freedom is Religion" is not in the constitution. Read the actual text of the Constitution and you will have your answer.

Quote:
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin. There's your answer.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
The Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin. There's your answer.
So you don't think that their religious beliefs would prejudice them at all?

Quote:

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Lifer

No more or less so than their race, color, sex, or national origin.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
No more or less so than their race, color, sex, or national origin.
Yes but their race, color, sex, or national origin does not speak to them and tell them to do things.

Quote:

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Bullet Sponge

Nor does my religion. It is a framework for me to live my life by. It's not some little voice saying "blow up the infidels."
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
Nor does my religion. It is a framework for me to live my life by. It's not some little voice saying "blow up the infidels."
For you its not, but how many people on this board have said that god has told them things. Would it not be easy to confuse someone that is psychotic with a common religious person?

Quote:

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Terrible job at fishing.....

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:47 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Yes but their race, color, sex, or national origin does not speak to them and tell them to do things.
If you're concerned with someone else's religion impacting their suitability for employment, take it up with your Congressional rep and get the Civil Rights Act repealed. I'm fine myself with the status quo.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Freethinker

I am just making a statement. I think atheists are generally more level headed about reality. I think they are less likely to let things like race, color, sex, or national origin affect their judgement in situations.
For instance, is it not possible for your god to tell you someone is evil? I mean we know this would never happen because he doesn't exist but lets just pretend.

Quote:

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:58 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

5.0 svo. The jury has reached a verdict: You're an idiot.

DFWMustangs.net
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM
PAN

Quote:

Seconded in the affirmative.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 AM
He's no good to me dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
Terrible job at fishing.....
My thoughts exactly. Anyone betting that this will get moved to the Theology Corner?
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Bullet Sponge

Quote:
I am just making a statement. I think atheists are generally more level headed about reality. I think they are less likely to let things like race, color, sex, or national origin affect their judgement in situations.
For instance, is it not possible for your god to tell you someone is evil? I mean we know this would never happen because he doesn't exist but lets just pretend.
Really? Most Christians have gotten to the point we don't talk about our religion because the Athiests have tried to scrub God from everything and have gotten nuts about it.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I don't understand why people respond to him in these idiotic threads he makes.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:42 AM
IA2

Quote:
For you its not, but how many people on this board have said that god has told them things. Would it not be easy to confuse someone that is psychotic with a common religious person?
Typical liberal arguing tactic. Avoid direct questions and keep asking questions that no one can possibly answer. You've gone from muslim to psychotic and are blaming it on religion. Nutty.

Personally, as long as the cop upholds the law and does not interject their own beliefs or feelings into their job, i don't care if they are green and come from mars, they are fine to do the job.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
Really? Most Christians have gotten to the point we don't talk about our religion because the Athiests have tried to scrub God from everything and have gotten nuts about it.
As a Christian I thoroughly enjoy talking openly about my religion. If the audience happens to include atheists, that's fine with me because God will never be scrubbed from my life or from the U.S.A. of which I am a citizen.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Well, the prohibition of discrimination based on race, color, sex, or national origin was brought about by the Civil Rights Act which I introduced to this thread, the champions of which were JFK (Catholic), MLK (Baptist), and LBJ (Disciple of Christ). It would appear your level headed atheists took a back seat to level headed Christians in getting the concept of fairness codified into our laws.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Bullet Sponge

Don't get me wrong, I love talking about my personal relationship with God. We just don't demand that others change their lives to suit us like...oh I don't know...athiests do
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Banned

Most athiests are elitist little pricks so no. I don't think they would make better law enforcers. Chances are, they'll pull somebody over for having a cross hanging off their rearview mirror. It's not like all cops are christians. I'm sure there are a good mix of different religions in there.

forever_frost, to say christians don't push their beliefs on others is ridiculous considering it's in the bible TO spread the word of God. Christian beliefs are pushed on everybody. Personally, I don't care. People can do their own thing. I don't go to church or believe in any major religion, but I also don't consider myself an athiest for reasons stated above.
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Apparently you are an athiest, and apparently you think you are "more level headed about reality", but you are far from reality if you think that this argument holds weight anywhere but your mind.

Muslims, Christians, Atheists, and Agnostics all run the gamut from criminals to preachers, hobo's to businessmen. I don't see any logic in thinking that there are more logical people in any one religion, nor do I see any broad spectrum of evidence to support that theory.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Banned

I can't believe this thread ended so peacefully. I guess the thread starter didn't have a leg to stand on.
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
I can't believe this thread ended so peacefully. I guess the thread starter didn't have a leg to stand on.
You are so smart. I cant believe you figured that out all by yourself. What's the title of this thread again? And explain how I don't have a leg to stand on.

Quote:

post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

Considering your statement was so blatantly aimed at christians and you thinking that they can't have a non-biased point of view.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Lifer

We're waiting for proof from the O.P. that atheists would make better police officers, not unsupported conjecture like "I think they are less likely to let things like race, color, sex, or national origin affect their judgement in situations." To wit, my Civil Rights Act of 1964 example provides demostrated proof, not opinion, of Christian leadership acting in an unbiased manner with regard to the aforementioned race, color, sex, or national origin.

Prejudices are so easy to refute that this thread topic was rendered comical from the very beginning.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:31 PM
v2004 rebooted.

This dipshit makes me embarassed to be an athiest. Step away from the fucking keyboard already. This is probably how Christians feel about David Koresh.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:13 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman View Post
This dipshit makes me embarassed to be an athiest. Step away from the fucking keyboard already. This is probably how Christians feel about David Koresh.
You'd make a great cop! You already have the holier-than-everyone-else (pardon the expression) attitude and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Freethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman View Post
Dear Mr Majestyk. After further review I am afraid you may be correct.
I am afraid all atheists would not make good police officers.

Quote:

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 PM
PAN

Posts 37 and 38 make the whole damned thread worthwhile...
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Dear Mr Majestyk. After further review I am afraid you may be correct.
I am afraid all atheists would not make good police officers.
Why are you afraid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement