Perry: Healthcare State Rights - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Perry: Healthcare State Rights

Quote:
AUSTIN — Gov. Rick Perry, raising the specter of a showdown with the Obama administration, suggested Thursday that he would consider invoking states’ rights protections under the 10th Amendment to resist the president’s healthcare plan, which he said would be "disastrous" for Texas.
http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1504240.html

I hope Perry wins, then the non-productive leaches can move to another state to get free healthcare and all the businesses will move here to not have to pay for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Bullet Sponge

I bet Obama would treat this like the ATF treated the gun rights that states tried "Federal law supercedes state so you have to obey."

It'd be nice if Texas became a baston of freedom in the communist world.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 PM
T-MINUS

I really hope he is sincere in his stand. His views and passion to tell the feds to eat a dick will keep him elected.

He really needs to push for English as the official (and only) language of TX and start cutting some BS like affirmative action. If you're going to draw your line in the sand, make it visible.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I really hope he is sincere in his stand. His views and passion to tell the feds to eat a dick will keep him elected.

He really needs to push for English as the official (and only) language of TX and start cutting some BS like affirmative action. If you're going to draw your line in the sand, dig a trench.
Better yet
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Bullet Sponge

I agree. If he stands up for Texas and puts that line down and says "Fuck off" to Obama, Texans are going to stand with him
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
I agree. If he stands up for Texas and puts that line down and says "Fuck off" to Obama, Texans are going to stand with him
Most Texans...

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/res...unty/#TXP00map

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
Barely...I am scared for the future:
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/res...vidual/#mapPTX

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Lifer

It would be a blessing from God himself if Texas were to tell the US gov. and Obama to eat shit, and then us secede from the Union.

NO NO NO, it should be DFWLS1's, CUMMINS, C6 VETTES.net
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Resident Epicurean

This is the 2nd time since Obama has taken office, that Perry has threatened to invoke state's rights and secession.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Censored

He is quickly proving himself to be a true leader, of Texas.

Golf clap for him being the first to threaten invoking states rights on Health care

Doors Done Rite
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Lifer

He's still a dickhead. He's just looking for votes. He might get em this time.

Ask the people that he swindled out of land for the Trans Texas Corridor project if they are Perry fans.

Oh, and Texas isn't going to secede. There isn't a need to, even if a few gun owners wish for it.
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:43 PM
T-MINUS

I don't want the state to pull out of the union. But if the population were to jump to around 50 million angry Americans telling Obama to eat a root, that'd be one loud voice to keep quiet.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Lifer

first off the governor does not have the power to do this, so its just a political stunt.

millions of Texans do not have health insurance, but will still wind up in Texas hospitals, whos going to pay for them? and dont forget about those millions more who rely on federal healthcare programs (Medicare Medicaid, the VA) these are all parts of the reform plan, so perry would be blocking those plans as well.

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:13 PM
IA2

Nothing that is currently on the table is going to do jack squat about the cost of healthcare. It is only going to inject government right in the middle of it, and then no one gets quality care while we pay more for the privilege.

The answer is to simply make the consumer have some skin in the game. By that I mean basically abolish health insurance and go back to the consumer paying for what they use. No one would be able to afford those $250k hospital stays, or could afford to use the ER like a cough and cold clinic.

The hospitals, big pharma, and doctors would all have to adjust what they charge. The government could provide some assistance to low income individuals but that would be it.

This solution would be painful for a period of time, but it would be nothing like the pain that the healthcare plan is going to bring. And it won't cost $1 trillion either.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Time Served

I love Governor Perry when he is in campaigning mode! If we can keep him like this after he wins again….
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Bullet Sponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
first off the governor does not have the power to do this, so its just a political stunt.

millions of Texans do not have health insurance, but will still wind up in Texas hospitals, whos going to pay for them? and dont forget about those millions more who rely on federal healthcare programs (Medicare Medicaid, the VA) these are all parts of the reform plan, so perry would be blocking those plans as well.

Actually, he does. The 10th Amendment to the Constitution says the power of the nation resides in the States, not the Fed. As the represenative of the State of Texas, he has every right.
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:50 PM
IA2

Quote:
Actually, he does. The 10th Amendment to the Constitution says the power of the nation resides in the States, not the Fed. As the represenative of the State of Texas, he has every right.
The federal government's power as granted in the constitution is actually quite limited. The idiots in washington are doing everything that they can to expand the power that the federal government claims to have, and because congress is not familiar with the constitution they go along with it. The federal government has forgotten that constitutionally it exists to serve the states, not the other way around.

The states are simply reclaiming what is constitutionally theirs. I expect a showdown between the federal government and the states at some point over this.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:

I don't disagree that it is a political stunt, but I do believe he has the power according to the 10th amendment, although i could see him having to get the Texas legislature involved.

Trans-Texas Corridor = BS!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:08 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:

millions of Texans do not have health insurance, but will still wind up in Texas hospitals, whos going to pay for them?
The same people that are now, only instead of paying in the form of obscene hospital bills we'll be paying more in taxes. At least with the current system you can go to a doctor when you need to, with rationing everyone will be forced to get an appointment and be dispatched based on what the government thinks your condition warrants.

His plan may be wonderful and give everyone rainbows and unicorns but I still don't want more government control over my life. Any freedoms they take you'll never get back without armed revolt or regime change. More taxes = less discretionary income, which also means less freedom to do with my money as I see fit. The only way to pay for the rainbows and unicorns is with more taxes.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:26 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Speaking of Perry -- just checked the mail and that sumbitch is already asking for money!!

post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 04:08 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Speaking of Perry -- just checked the mail and that sumbitch is already asking for money!!
Let him use some of the tollroad kickback money he got!
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Bullet Sponge

I have what he's pushing, which is government run health care. I've been waiting since February for a hernia surgery, which is finally coming Wednesday. And what adds to it is if they fuck up and kill or maim me, you can't sue the government.
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
IA2

Quote:
I have what he's pushing, which is government run health care. I've been waiting since February for a hernia surgery, which is finally coming Wednesday. And what adds to it is if they fuck up and kill or maim me, you can't sue the government.
VA? My dad has had some experiences with them.
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Bullet Sponge

Yes, the VA. They do all my health care and dental. I don't like the fact you can't sue the government if they fuck up
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

The only time Rick Perry is telling the truth is when his mouth is shut. He is pandering for votes and knows that he won't do jack or shit that matters on this issue.

Perry will sell us all to Goldman Sachs if he can.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Actually, he doesn't. Texas took away most of the Governor's power after the post-Civil War Reconstruction. All he can do is sign or veto a bill, convene the Legislature, and pardon with recommendation or permission from, respectively the Board of Pardons or the Legislature. The Lieutenant Governor has more power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_lieutenant_governor

Give me a dollar.
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Actually, he doesn't. Texas took away most of the Governor's power after the post-Civil War Reconstruction. All he can do is sign or veto a bill, convene the Legislature, and pardon with recommendation or permission from, respectively the Board of Pardons or the Legislature. The Lieutenant Governor has more power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_lieutenant_governor
What you people fail to realize is that all the opposition needs is a public voice to start everything. Who cares where it comes from?

I love my country. This is not just Obama and it is not just this issue. The majority of our country is going in a direction that is not only illogical, but dangerous as well. I want no part of it.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
What you people fail to realize is that all the opposition needs is a public voice to start everything. Who cares where it comes from?

I love my country. This is not just Obama and it is not just this issue. The majority of our country is going in a direction that is not only illogical, but dangerous as well. I want no part of it.
Dude, I'm not saying we should roll over and give up, I'm saying Perry isn't in the best position to do anything about anything, apart from talk. He doesn't really do that well, and he gets no respect from the conservative press.

Give me a dollar.
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Lifer

This is the second time the "fair haired" Governor has spoke of the 10th Amendment.
The first time a bill was introduced and it is still just sitting.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...1R&Bill=HB1863

I can only assume this will happen with this issue. NOTHING.

If you want him to start the proceedings to succeed, I suggest you e-mail, snail mail, fax, and call his office.

Be polite in any correspondence to any government official. If not they will just put it in file 13, and assume you to be a radical.

Let him know you want this, and if does not put a real effort in this, you will not support him in the next election.

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:

THAT is the problem. This country is run by the majority. Whether we like it or not a democracy is essentially controlled by the majority. If you get enough weak people together, as is the case now, they can effectively take control of the country. So now, with the weak in power through their "savior" Obama, success will no longer rewarded but instead punished in the form of higher taxes to subsidize the weak.
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:31 AM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post

He really needs to push for English as the official (and only) language of TX and start cutting some BS like affirmative action. If you're going to draw your line in the sand, make it visible.
affirmative action has been gone in texas for at least 3yrs now, just fyi.

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gt-stanger View Post
It would be a blessing from God himself if Texas were to tell the US gov. and Obama to eat shit, and then us secede from the Union.
It's one thing to say "We're not taking your shit." It's another thing to secede from the Union. If you think seceding from the union would be a good thing, then you will confirm my thoughts on you for the last few months. You're a moron.
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
It's one thing to say "We're not taking your shit." It's another thing to secede from the Union. If you think seceding from the union would be a good thing
In a long term since, or short term?

Why? Whats your take on it?

Mine.

Texas has the 8th largest economy in the world, so no problem there. The population is larger than several country's involved in the U.N. <---- Not like the U.N. is good for any thing.

And yeah, the shit would hit the fan if we did. You scared? You should be, because it just might be headed that way.

In the long run. IMHO, I think we would be better off. Smaller governments are easier to control, or over throw if need be.

I will not willingly give up any more rights!

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Factory Issue

The word is, "sense," and again, the person to hound wouuld be the Lieutenant Governor, not the Governor.

Give me a dollar.
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz007 View Post

Mine.

Texas has the 8th largest economy in the world, so no problem there. The population is larger than several country's involved in the U.N. <---- Not like the U.N. is good for any thing.

And yeah, the shit would hit the fan if we did. You scared? You should be, because it just might be headed that way.

In the long run. IMHO, I think we would be better off. Smaller governments are easier to control, or over throw if need be.

Think about it. We secede from the union. Mexico still exists, and now we don't have federal aid in keeping illegal immigrants out. We might be able to come up with an army, but compared to any national army...nothing. Financially, we'd be sound and probably better off but there are so many factors that would suck that the cons would definitely outweigh the pros. Plus, once we figure out how fucked we are, would the union take us back? Under what circumstances.

If we wouldn't be stuck in between a country we said fuck off to, and one we've been saying fuck off to for decades, I'd say go for it. But, that's not the case.
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 05:11 PM
PAN

Quote:

After you have the surgery you will swear that you will never again have that kind of surgery, and you will stick to it to boot...

Good luck and here's to ya in the recovery...
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Clown

Quote:

Mine.

Lets see:

1) No banking system
2) No stock exchange
3) No real standing army
4) No Social Security
5) No treaties or trade agreements
6) No telling how much we owe the Federal Gov. and they would call all notes due. If we couldn't pay, they would freeze all assets in the U.S. Banking system.

And if that doesn't seem like good enough reasons to say its a very bad idea, how about a couple of Army Divisions marching down here to get everything back in line....Texas does not have the right to break away from the Union period.

I was born and raised here and have turned down career opportunties just so I could stay in the state I love with all of my heart. But if Texas ever did something as foolish as attempt to break from the Union....I would have a for sale sign in my yard the next day.

I am an American first and a Texan second.
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82 View Post
Lets see:

1) No banking system
2) No stock exchange
3) No real standing army
4) No Social Security
6) No telling how much we owe the Federal Gov. and they would call all notes due. If we couldn't pay, they would freeze all assets in the U.S. Banking system.

And if that doesn't seem like good enough reasons to say its a very bad idea, how about a couple of Army Divisions marching down here to get everything back in line....Texas does not have the right to break away from the Union period.

I was born and raised here and have turned down career opportunties just so I could stay in the state I love with all of my heart. But if Texas ever did something as foolish as attempt to break from the Union....I would have a for sale sign in my yard the next day.

All their oil money runs through Tejas however
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Lets see:

1) No banking system
2) No stock exchange
3) No real standing army
4) No Social Security
That about sums it up, although number 6 would be hilariously ironic with the number of outstanding notes that the Federal Government has.

post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Out

Quote:
Lets see:

1) No banking systemWe have state banks. I'm sure with the potential resource dominance, others would hop on this bandwagon. We can still use the US Dollar (most everyone else does too).
2) No stock exchange SSSSSSSSSSSO!
3) No real standing army How long have you been in Texas?
4) No Social Security Amen!
5) No treaties or trade agreements Please... we got plenty of what the world wants.
6) No telling how much we owe the Federal Gov. and they would call all notes due. If we couldn't pay, they would freeze all assets in the U.S. Banking system. We'll just freeze our pipelines. Who wins then? Also, the US doesn't call shit due for anyone. Turn on the news sometime or open a newspaper. The world owes the US more than China, but we just forgive or leave it outstanding.

I keep hearing it, but what is the rest of the country going to do? Go to war with us? Hardly. Also think about the influx of support we'd get from other citizens either coming back or joining.

Bye

What America? This shit? Bro, I'm about as Red, White and Blue as it gets, but the way it's going as of late is NOT the America I pledge allegiance to.
Jeez, people... nothing worth having comes without risk and/or sacrifice. How do you think all these countries start out these days. Look at Bosnia, Kosovo, Macedonia, etc. that came from Yugoslavia. What about all these British Colonies within the last 30 years? For fuck's sake, go to Oklahoma to bitch; we'll be too busy in Texas building a nation reflection a foundation of what America SHOULD have been.
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Lifer

If folks knew the REAL history of our state, they would be stunned. Piss on all the "history" you learned in school. Get a book titiled,"Gone To Texas", by Campbell. This state fought for every inch of land from day one. There were all sorts of bad asses around here until well after the Civil War. Hell, the original Texas Ranger's were basically outlaws hired to get rid of other outlaws...they were (and still are) badasses. I think a lot of the native Texans still have a little of that rebellion bred into them. You ever hear another state even mention secession? Would another states' governor even have the balls to mention it? I'm certain nothing will come of it, but it damn sure got some attention, didn't it?

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
Lets see:

1) No banking system
2) No stock exchange
3) No real standing army
4) No Social Security

1. You bet your ass Rick Perry would step into that role real quick.
2. Easily developed
3.If given a chance to form, Texas could easily form a legit, large military staffed with prior vets and those that chose to leave the US and come home.
4 Social Security shouldn't exist anyways
5All we would need is recognition from two latin American countries to join the OAS...If we give them better trading rights then US its a done deal. Same thing would go for UK and France etc
6If we actualy left, America would have bigger problems than calling in our debts. Their ability to process and refine their addiction would take a major hit, they would be realing from losing one of the only states that keep America in the Black, not to mention it would fracture American society bad enough Texas wouldn't be the only one trying to chuck up the deuces.

That being said conditions are nowhere near bad enough for Tx to have the broad support it needs to pull it off. It would have to be much worse to see a mass exodus of Tx citzn's in the military as well as businesses and the average citzn. 40% of Texans did vote for that asshole after all.
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX View Post
40% of Texans did vote for that asshole after all.
About how many rounds is needed to address that problem?
post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Lifer

OK I'm not to itemize, the theme, seems to be support and money.

Money. you do realize that we send the feds a hell of a lot more money than they send back to us don't you. This would be the only reason they do not want us backing out of the union, they would loose income.

And if we easily created our own money backed by gold, the rest of the world would want to deal with Texas in money matters before they would the U.S.

Protection...... From Who? The U.S. would be the only country to dare to attack. And they would attack us. Again, because they do not want to loose the income.

Standing army. How many people, old and young, do you think would stand up and fight? How many of those people do you think are repaired with enough guns and ammo to fend off any attacker? I can assure you there are more guns in the hands of good honest hard working Texans, than the military has. They would be greatly out numbered.

And Social Security, I will gladly give up what I have payed in to get away from socialist (communist) U.S. Small price to pay is you ask me.

post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
You ever hear another state even mention secession? Would another states' governor even have the balls to mention it? I'm certain nothing will come of it, but it damn sure got some attention, didn't it?
20 of them in total actually.

post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Lifer

Quote:
20 of them in total actually.
I had a "Secede" bumper sticker on my Ranchero in 1977. I don't think there were too many other states talking about it then. Michigan, New York, Ohio, and several other states were going down the shitter, and they were all moving here. We had all the oil and didn't care to share too much of it.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
The federal government's power as granted in the constitution is actually quite limited. The idiots in washington are doing everything that they can to expand the power that the federal government claims to have, and because congress is not familiar with the constitution they go along with it. The federal government has forgotten that constitutionally it exists to serve the states, not the other way around.

The states are simply reclaiming what is constitutionally theirs. I expect a showdown between the federal government and the states at some point over this.
your exactly right mikeb.nice job!

RON PAUL '08
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jeez, people... nothing worth having comes without risk and/or sacrifice. How do you think all these countries start out these days. Look at Bosnia, Kosovo, Macedonia, etc. that came from Yugoslavia. What about all these British Colonies within the last 30 years? For fuck's sake, go to Oklahoma to bitch; we'll be too busy in Texas building a nation reflection a foundation of what America SHOULD have been.
Keep dreaming. Ideally it would be nice, but it wouldn't work.
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Keep dreaming. Ideally it would be nice, but it wouldn't work.

OK, Let's assume for a moment, that it will not work, and forget about the fact that it happened once before. What is your solution? <--- serious question.

I'm just curious, because they have taken our rights away, and they will never be restored in the U.S. And I for one will not relinquish any more. And yes, I'm willing to die fighting for my rights.

post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
OK, Let's assume for a moment, that it will not work, and forget about the fact that it happened once before. What is your solution? <--- serious question.

I'm just curious, because they have taken our rights away, and they will never be restored in the U.S. And I for one will not relinquish any more. And yes, I'm willing to die fighting for my rights.
What rights have been taken away from you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement