Why do people vote for this guy? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Angry Why do people vote for this guy?

UnFuckingBelievable.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2.4bca671.html

While we admire Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price’s eclectic taste in cars—his 13 vehicles include seven collector cars, among them a 1989 Lotus, 1968 Toronado, 1940 Ford, 1971 Monte Carlo and 1971 LTD — the Dallas Morning News has raised questions about how he obtained them.

It started in late 2007, after he traded in his 2003 Aston Martin on a 2005 Bentley Continental GT. Price discovered the Bentley was, technically, hot: The previous owner never held legal title, and was in fact wanted for embezzlement. Price, however, knew what to do: arrange a special administrative hearing with Dallas County tax officials.

According to the Morning News, “The informal hearings — conducted by clerical staff in counties across Texas — receive no outside scrutiny or oversight. Tax collectors have complete authority to rule as they see fit, regardless of the evidence.” The hearings are usually closed to the public, often one-on-one, and completely off the record.

While the process exists for a valid reason, the lack of transparency is troubling, especially when it concerns a figure in a position of influence like Price. This is at least the sixth car he’s acquired through a hearing, four on the same day in 2007. The Bentley hearing arose when the Texas DOT refused to issue a title, citing a complete lack of any record of ownership — no invoice, receipt or affidavit was presented. Nevertheless, mere possession and Price’s word was enough for Tax Assessor-Collector David Childs. On February 1, 2008, Price was granted title to the Bentley, and paid sales tax on the $41,700 value of the vehicle that remained after the $86,300 trade-in for the Aston.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Lifer

he knows the loop hole. nothing wrong with that.
I buy and sell a lot of bikes, and every now and then I will come across a bike at an auction, or from an individual that lacks documentation, usually a write off. with out documentation it can take a long while to get a title, and you have to go through a bonded title processes. but what most dealers do is go straight to the tax collector, get him to approve it and then issue a title, and anyone can do, you dont even need an appointment.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
I buy and sell a lot of bikes, and every now and then I will come across a bike at an auction, or from an individual that lacks documentation, usually a write off. with out documentation it can take a long while to get a title, and you have to go through a bonded title processes. but what most dealers do is go straight to the tax collector, get him to approve it and then issue a title, and anyone can do, you dont even need an appointment.
The difference is he's not paying a dime for these cars.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Lifer

it says he payed $41,700 plus trading the Aston Martin for the Bentley, and he had to pay tax on the 41,700

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 02:48 PM
insert something aqui

dont hate

1991 lx 5.0

lil ol 302

Back In The Jackstand Racing Crew!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Frequent Flyer

Quote:
it says he payed $41,700 plus trading the Aston Martin for the Bentley, and he had to pay tax on the 41,700

He paid sales tax ON the $41,700 which was the residual after trading in the Aston.

I'm actually using his process and doing the same thing with a car in my possession that my ex is on title with me. Getting it titled into my name without her signature because I am the sole responisble party.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 PM
PAN

Quote:

Four in the same day?

Seriously. Get a fucking clue.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 AM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
Four in the same day?

Seriously. Get a fucking clue.
Yeah, sure seems like some fuzzy shit going on there.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Lifer

leave that poor downtrodden african american man alone... he's just trying to get ahead...

Sounds to me like the perfect way to launder a hot car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement