Obama- "Nobody wants to do business with a country where the govt. skims 20% off the - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Meeeeooowww

Obama- "Nobody wants to do business with a country where the govt. skims 20% off the

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elec...est=latestnews

"ACCRA, Ghana -An American president who has "the blood of Africa within me" praised and scolded the continent of his ancestors Saturday, asserting forces of tyranny and corruption must yield if Africa is to achieve its promise.

"No country is going to create wealth if its leaders exploit the economy to enrich themselves, or if police can be bought off by drug traffickers," he said in a speech to Parliament.

"No business wants to invest in a place where the government skims 20 percent off the top, or the head of the Port Authority is corrupt. No person wants to live in a society where the rule of law gives way to the rule of brutality and bribery.

"That is not democracy, that is tyranny, even if occasionally you sprinkle an election in there," he said, "and now is the time for that style of governance to end."

He added: "Africa doesn't need strongmen, it needs strong institutions."

The son of a white woman from Kansas and a black goat herder-turned-academic from Kenya, Obama delivered an unsentimental account of squandered opportunities in postcolonial Africa.

The first U.S. black president spoke with a bluntness that perhaps could only come from a member of Africa's extended family.

But he also offered words of encouragement.

"Yes you can," Obama declared, dusting off his campaign slogan and adapting it for his foreign audience. He called upon African societies to seize opportunities for peace, democracy and prosperity.

"This is a new moment of great promise," he said. "To realize that promise, we must first recognize a fundamental truth that you have given life to in Ghana: Development depends upon good governance. That is the ingredient which has been missing in far too many places, for far too long. That is the change that can unlock Africa's potential."

Obama was on a 21-hour visit to the West African nation to highlight that country's democratic tradition and engagement with the West. His visit, his first to sub-Saharan Africa as president, was greeted as a "spiritual reunion" Saturday by Ghanian legislators.

Before the flight home, Obama visited Cape Coast Castle, a seaside fortress converted to the slave trade by the British in the 17th century. In its dungeons, thousands of shackled Africans huddled in squalor before being herded onto ships bound for America.

He, his wife Michelle, their daughters and the first lady's mother toured the grounds as a festive crowd of thousands milled outside, pounding drums and dancing in the streets. Obama smiled and waved, pausing after he exited the motorcade, before disappearing with his family and entourage into the courtyard. Michelle Obama is the great-great granddaughter of slaves.

Earlier, people lined the streets, many waving at every vehicle of Obama's motorcade as it headed toward a meeting at Osu Castle, the storied coastline presidential state house, before his speech to Parliament. "Ghana loves you," said a billboard.

The Obama administration sought a wide African audience for the president's speech, inviting people to watch it at embassies and cultural centers across the continent.

The 33-minute address was in part a splash of cold water for Africans who blame colonialism for their problems.

Obama spoke of the indignities visited upon Africans from the era of European rule. He said his grandfather, a cook for the British in Kenya, was called "boy" by his employers for much of his life despite his being a respected village elder. He said it was a time of artificial borders and unfair trade.

But he said the West is not to blame "for the destruction of the Zimbabwean economy over the last decade, or wars in which children are enlisted as combatants." Nor for the corruption that is a daily fact of life for many, he said.

"Africa is not the crude caricature of a continent at perpetual war," he said. Yet for "far too many Africans, conflict is a part of life, as constant as the sun. There are wars over land and wars over resources. And it is still far too easy for those without conscience to manipulate whole communities into fighting among faiths and tribes.

"These conflicts are a millstone around Africa's neck."

Obama started his day with typical calm. Wearing a gray T-shirt and gym pants, he walked through the lobby of his hotel almost unnoticed at 7:30 a.m. local time on his way to the downstairs gym for a workout.

A short time later, his motorcade left the hotel, passed under hovering military helicopters and arrived for a delayed welcome ceremony with President John Atta Mills.

"I can say without any fear of contradiction that all Ghanaians want to see you," Mills said. "I wish it were possible for me to send you to every home in Ghana."

The castle visit mirrored ones paid by Clinton and George W. Bush to the slave-trading post of Goree Island, Senegal –– with the added impact of Obama's mixed-race background and history-making election.

In Ghana, too, Obama followed in Clinton's footsteps. In 1998, a surging crowd cheered Clinton in Accra's Independence Square and toppled barricades after his speech. Clinton shouted, "Back up! Back up!", his Secret Service detail clearly frantic.

Bush's reception last year was less tumultuous, but equally warm. At a welcoming banquet, then-President John Kufuor noted huge increases in U.S. development aid and AIDS relief –– and named a highway after Bush.

Obama avoided scheduling large public events, wishing to keep emotions in check in a singular moment in African-American diplomacy.

The president pledged U.S. partnership in Africa's growth. Specifically, he said he would make sure U.S. aid gets to the people who need it most, such as farmers and entrepreneurs, not Western consultants and administrators.

That's why $3.5 billion in food assistance will focus on new methods and technologies for farmers, instead of simply sending U.S. goods to Africa, he said.

Obama flew to Ghana after the G-8 summit in L'Aquila, Italy, approved a new $20 billion food security plan. It aims to help poor nations in Africa and elsewhere to avert mass starvation during the global recession.

He also had a cordial first meeting with Pope Benedict XVI. In their half-hour private audience at the Vatican, the two reviewed Mideast peace and anti-poverty efforts, aides reported. They also discussed abortion and stem cell research at length, subjects of disagreement between them."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 06:11 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama's Telepromptor Authors
"No business wants to invest in a place where the government skims 20 percent off the top, or the head of the Port Authority is corrupt. No person wants to live in a society where the rule of law gives way to the rule of brutality and bribery.
I can't believe the guy was able to say this with a straight face.

POTus, meet Kettle.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 06:17 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
I can't believe the guy was able to say this with a straight face.
No fucking shit! They just need a good stimulus package to get them moving in the right direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
POTus, meet Kettle.
LMAO, nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Time Served

Quote:
No business wants to invest in a place where the government skims 20 percent off the top
That's 2010 election fodder right there..... Just WOW....

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Fuzzy Flounder Fishin'

Location: On the express train to management training in hell.
Wow he walks a tightrope every day now doesnt he? What a fucking twat.

┌∩┐(-_-)┌∩┐
That's directed at you, UHHHbama
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Lifer

Did Obama increase taxes on businesses or something? I must have missed it.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
No, he just takes them over.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 04:50 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Don't worry, you won't miss what's coming down the pike.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
No, he just takes them over.
Takes them over....after they ask for it? lol.

I think I get it now. We're calling him a hypocrite because he...hasn't...increased business taxes. Ok maybe I don't get it.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Takes them over....after they ask for it? lol.

I think I get it now. We're calling him a hypocrite because he...hasn't...increased business taxes. Ok maybe I don't get it.
Give him some time, man. He's only been in office 6 months. He's just had time to take over the small businesses, like GM and AIG.

Let me guess...you must cut his lawn? You're the last sap, dude...

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Lifer

Didn't Bush start the takeover of AIG? And GM came to Congress asking for it.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Didn't Bush start the takeover of AIG? And GM came to Congress asking for it.
They asked for a loan, and Barry promptly fired the CEO, and put a man in that doesn't know shit from Shin-ola about the auto industry, to run it. You tell me...

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Lifer

The guy he put in place has experience running a big corporation/business. I don't think they need anyone who is experienced specifically in car manufacturing. Marketing and sociologists do most of that work anyway. The CEO just runs a business...which the guy can do. I see no problem there.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Bullet Sponge

Government should NEVER take over private anything. Stockholders should have picked GM's new guy, personally, I'd prefer someone who is a car guy who loves the cars he produces. Maybe an old hot rodder who will get soul back into cars.

It shouldn't matter if a company comes to Congress for a bailout. They have zero constitutional right to give one. Stay out of business. Back off regulations, let them swim or sink based on what citizens want.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:31 PM
IA2

Quote:
I don't think they need anyone who is experienced specifically in car manufacturing. Marketing and sociologists do most of that work anyway.
Well, the pontiac aztec design team was headed by a woman with an MBA and no experience in the car industry. so there is the results of trying that. The same goes for design by committee/focus groups. You go to design a horse and get a camel. Or an aztec LOL......

I've worked in IT for years, and worked at a place where they actually thought that any manager could manage any team regardless of their knowledge. They tried to make that work - collossal, epic failure. We had a "do nothing" manager that didn't know shit about what he was to manage and left it up to the tech leads to make decisions. I'm sure that some management consultant sold the higher ups on that theory, but they eventually abandoned it and went back to hiring managers that knew a thing or 2 about what they were to manage.

Face it, the cars that we liked were largely designed and built by car guys, were probably impractical to manufacture, but they were still pushed thru and a lot of them sold like hotcakes. The problem is that the car guys have been squeezed out of the management role - guys like john delorian.

Nowadays, with all of the design and cost review committees in place the chance of squeaking a car thru "skunkworks style" and selling it are gone. So we get bland cars like the chevy volt, a design by committee car if i've ever seen one.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
Government should NEVER take over private anything. Stockholders should have picked GM's new guy, personally, I'd prefer someone who is a car guy who loves the cars he produces. Maybe an old hot rodder who will get soul back into cars.

It shouldn't matter if a company comes to Congress for a bailout. They have zero constitutional right to give one. Stay out of business. Back off regulations, let them swim or sink based on what citizens want.
Hey I never said I was OK with what went down because I certainly wasn't. All I'm saying is pin the blame on the right person (in this case, not Obama). Not to say he could have just rejected the whole damn thing but that's a whole 'nother bag of worms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
Face it, the cars that we liked were largely designed and built by car guys, were probably impractical to manufacture, but they were still pushed thru and a lot of them sold like hotcakes. The problem is that the car guys have been squeezed out of the management role - guys like john delorian.
And look where that got GM...
As much as I like to see affordable sports cars be turned out it's not what's "in" right now. Car manufacturing is just as much a fad business as anything else. GM did not adjust their plans accordingly and failed because of it.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Bullet Sponge

Actually, they ARE what's in. The toy cars Obama wants produced, like the Volt are what's out. No one wants a tin can running off electricity with zero acceleration and not enough room in the trunk for a gallon of milk. We want performance, looks and style. I want the 69 Charger, the 66 Mustang, the 55 Chevy hardtop, and the GTO. Lousy mileage but amazing style.

When gas hit 4 dollars a gallon, truck sales slowed but so did all sales. No one wants Prius, Volt or whatever they come up with next. We will make sacrifice to fuel our V8's and remain loyal to a brand if they give us something to work with.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Actually, they ARE what's in.
Then would you care to explain to me why GM is asking the government for billions of dollars? Or was anyway.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
IA2

Quote:
And look where that got GM...
As much as I like to see affordable sports cars be turned out it's not what's "in" right now. Car manufacturing is just as much a fad business as anything else. GM did not adjust their plans accordingly and failed because of it.
Seems to me that people are still buying mustangs right and left, eh? And all of the chargers are sold out, right?

There will always be a market for a car that stirs the soul. That used to be pontiac's niche.

Unfortunately, GM is not producing any right now. Their SUVs and economy cars are bland, and the japanese own that market. There will always be a market for a car that is like an appliance, but there will also be a market for cars that have soul. Unfortunately, GM is out of the soul business, and has to compete with the japanese for the appliance car market, and the japs have that market covered extremely well.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:09 PM
PAN

Quote:
Then would you care to explain to me why GM is asking the government for billions of dollars? Or was anyway.
Piss poor management and multi million dollar bonuses for sub par performance. Thought most anyone with even a rudimentary grasp of business could see that...
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
Piss poor management and multi million dollar bonuses for sub par performance. Thought most anyone with even a rudimentary grasp of business could see that...
So you're telling me the piss poor management had nothing to do with the terrible marketing strategies GM used? The ridiculous cars they were putting on the market instead of designing more reliable, comfortable, fuel efficient cars?
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:28 PM
PAN

Quote:
So you're telling me the piss poor management had nothing to do with the terrible marketing strategies GM used? The ridiculous cars they were putting on the market instead of designing more reliable, comfortable, fuel efficient cars?

Dear Mother of God...
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Sure Shot

Quote:

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Like the new Camaro? How about that shitty Vette? Please...

Barry's entire cabinet is made up of "bean-counters", including the fellow he has running GM. It's not going to work. I did hear that Lutz came out of retirement to help...thank God.

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Like the new Camaro? How about that shitty Vette? Please...

Barry's entire cabinet is made up of "bean-counters", including the fellow he has running GM. It's not going to work. I did hear that Lutz came out of retirement to help...thank God.
And how much do they cost? The SS Camaro is $45k minimum. I don't even know how much the Vette costs but it's $60k+ I'm sure. How many families can afford or have a use for either of those cars?

The keyword here is practicality.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Bullet Sponge

You can't have reliable and comfort and fuel efficient. You give one up for another.

Want comfortable? Try one of the big caddys, or my Ram or an SUV. Great comfort, lousy mileage. Want survivability in a crash? Again, you lose mileage as steel weighs more. Want reliable? You lose mileage again as those 60 mpg prius' have toxic batteries that can break up in an accident, can be like any other battery and develop a bad cell and so forth.

Leave mileage regs alone. Do away with them. Do away with CAFE standards. Let the public decide what it wants.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You can't have reliable and comfort and fuel efficient. You give one up for another.
Really? Because all three Hondas I've owned were incredibly fuel efficient, comfortable, and reliable. My DSM was too until I built the motor and started running 25+ psi daily out of it.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Bullet Sponge

Comfortable? Really? A Honda?

And if I hit it with my 08 Ram 1500 4x4 what happens? All that nifty plastic and coke cans and styrofoam crumples and you're dead. What happens to me? I have to repaint my bumper. Lousy fuel economy, great comfort, style and survivability.

If I want fuel economy, I'll ride my motorcycle
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97blkpny View Post
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
And how much do they cost? The SS Camaro is $45k minimum. I don't even know how much the Vette costs but it's $60k+ I'm sure. How many families can afford or have a use for either of those cars?

You're $10k too high on the "SS", and ALL cars are too expensive. 3 of my 4 cars are Honda's, so you're preaching to the choir, but none of them has 430 hp either...

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Really? Because all three Hondas I've owned were incredibly fuel efficient, comfortable, and reliable. My DSM was too until I built the motor and started running 25+ psi daily out of it.
Yeah but that is what you want, the majority of ppl (just speaking from observation)
don't seem to want to roll around in a Honda. I for one couldn't live with the sound of it. i buy cars because i like them, if they are fast loud and look good I'm much more likely to buy it, than if it is fuel efficient.
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Worship me

Quote:
The guy he put in place has experience running a big corporation/business. I don't think they need anyone who is experienced specifically in car manufacturing. Marketing and sociologists do most of that work anyway. The CEO just runs a business...which the guy can do. I see no problem there.
Hilarious
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:43 PM
AHMO!

Quote:

The SS Camaro is 35k...new vettes you can get for 45-50k...seriously do some research.

65% or all statistics are made up on the spot.

See how that works I threw out a # to make my argument appear stronger with no evidence to back it up.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:37 PM
PAN

Taylor is setting himself up to give gpamp a run for his money...
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
Taylor is setting himself up to give gpamp a run for his money...
Is it possible he could make a run at being the co-Champ of DFW Douche-baggery?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement