Democrats cancel armed forces benefit legislation - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Bullet Sponge

Democrats cancel armed forces benefit legislation

SPENDING ON PET PROJECTS NOT COMPRIMISED.
THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE WAS IN TODAYS NEWS: Democrats Block Republican Effort to Fund Benefits Promised to the Men and Women of America’s Armed Forces WASHINGTON – During debate on the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 today, Democratic members of the House Armed Services Committee voted largely along party lines to table a Republican amendment to authorize key benefits for America’s military personnel and their families, military retirees, and veterans. Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC), the Ranking Member of the Military Personnel Subcommittee, offered an amendment that would eliminate the “Widow’s Tax”, provide for concurrent receipt of retirement pay and VA disability benefits, and extended TRICARE to Guard and Reserve members who are already receiving early retirement. Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC): “This amendment is part of a broader effort to clarify and correct gaps in the benefits afforded our servicemembers and their families. Each of these initiatives in the amendment has broad bipartisan support, and would have been adequately funded through a reserve fund already established in this year’s budget resolution. I encourage my colleagues to take a second look at these commonsense proposals and work together to provide our veterans and their families the resources they need and deserve.” Armed Services Committee Ranking Member Howard P. “Buck” McKeon (R-CA): “America’s military personnel serve on the frontlines for our nation without asking for much in return. We had an opportunity today to fulfill some of the promises we made to them and their families in exchange for their sacrifices. Considering that Congress has spent billions on economic stimulus measures, we had hoped that we could find the money necessary to finally realize these promises.” Rep. Rob Wittman (R-VA): “By not moving forward with this effort, we are missing out on a golden opportunity to finally fund concurrent receipt for disabled veterans, eliminate the Widow’s Tax and improve healthcare coverage for our reservists. I am disappointed that those in power have decided that now is not the time to fulfill our obligation to our service personnel.” The amendment offered by Rep. Wilson would force the Budget Committee Chairman to utilize the “reserve funds” that were inserted into the Budget Resolution by the House Democratic leadership to eliminate the “Widow’s Tax”, provide for concurrent receipt of retirement pay and VA disability benefits, and extended TRICARE to Guard and Reserve members who are already receiving early retirement. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT IN ORDER TO FUND THE WAR ON TERRORISM IN IRAQ AND AFGANISTAN THE DEMOCRATS ADDED FIVE BILLION AS A DONATION TO THE WORLD MONETARY FUND, AND EVEN FOUND BILLIONS TO FUND THE C-17 AIRCRAFT THAT THE DEFENSE DEPARTMENT DOES NOT WANT. CONTACT THE MEMBERS OF CONGRESS AND LET THEM KNOW THEY ARE TRAITORS TO MEN AND WOMEN IN UNIFORM. THOSE WHO CURRENTLY SERVE, AND THOSE WHO CURRENTLY SERVE KNOW THEY ARE TRAITORS. THIS SHOULD BE A WAKE UP CALL FOR ALL AMERICAN CITIZENS THAT SERVING IN THE AMERICAN ARMED FORCES DOES NOT EQUAL THE RISK OF A GOVERNMENT WHO DOES NOT SUPPORT THE ARMED FORCES. WERE THE MILTARY WALL STREET OR LARGE CORPORATIONS, OR SPECIAL PET PROJECTS THE FUNDING WOULD SURELY BE FOUND. KIND OF IRONIC THAT PRESIDENT OBAMA PROMISED TO CORRECT THESE ISSUES AND MADE A CAMPAIGN PROMISE ABOUT IT TO THE VFW CONVENTION. EVEN TURNING TRAITOR ON THEIR OWN PRESIDENT IS NOT BEYOND THEIR SCOPE OF PRACTICE.......

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...ua_congressorg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Lifer

I think its interesting that a few years ago it was the democrats who wanted to repeal the "widow tax" this was a big part of Nancy Pelosi's GI bill of rights. there has to be more to this bill than just veterans benefits, was anything attached to it?

you know the VA does a lot of good for our veterans, I have seen it first hand, before my grand father died I used to have to take him down to the VA hospital once a week, they would bring a wheel chair for him as soon as I would pull up, and as soon as we got inside someone would hand me $10 for diving him down there. and when he was on his death bed at JPS someone from the VA a picture of his old airplane and check in on him every few days which was nice. it took him about 3 months to finally pass, and during that time the hospital was billing the VA a little over $10,000 a week and they took care of everything. it was very nice, top notch care the whole time, the government did a good job taking care of him.

of course the whole time the conservative in me was thinking, this is costing the tax payers a lot of money. and it is socialized medicine, no denying that. there has to be a point at some place where you draw the line on benefits, where that line is I don't know.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:20 PM
IA2

The democrats just keep on pissing off the moderates in their party. Good going.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Bullet Sponge

Odd, the don't pay me and I drive in 3 hours to go. They told me I had to show up 3 times a week for reimbursment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement