Where are your papers comrade? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Bullet Sponge

Where are your papers comrade?

Friday, June 19, 2009

NRA-ILA has recently received several calls from NRA members in border states who have been visited or called by agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. In some cases, agents have asked to enter these people's homes, and requested serial numbers of all firearms the members possess.

In each case, the agents were making inquiries based on the number of firearms these NRA members had recently bought, and in some cases the agents said they were asking because the members had bought types of guns that are frequently recovered in Mexico.

This kind of questioning may or may not be part of a legitimate criminal investigation. For example, when BATFE traces a gun seized after use in a crime, manufacturers' and dealers' records will normally lead to the first retail buyer of that gun, and investigators will have to interview the buyer to find out how the gun ended up in criminal hands. But in other cases, the questioning may simply be based on information in dealers' records, with agents trying to "profile" potentially suspicious purchases.

On the other hand, some of the agents have used heavy-handed tactics. One reportedly demanded that a gun owner return home early from a business trip, while another threatened to "report" an NRA member as "refusing to cooperate." That kind of behavior is outrageous and unprofessional.

Whether agents act appropriately or not, concerned gun owners should remember that all constitutional protections apply. Answering questions in this type of investigation is generally an individual choice. Most importantly, there are only a few relatively rare exceptions to the general Fourth Amendment requirement that law enforcement officials need a warrant to enter a home without the residents' consent. There is nothing wrong with politely, but firmly, asserting your rights.

If BATFE contacts you and you have any question about how to respond, you may want to consult a local attorney. NRA members may also call NRA-ILA's Office of Legislative Counsel at (703) 267-1161 for further information. Whether contacting a local attorney or NRA, be sure to provide as many details as possible, including the date, time, and location, agent's name, and specific questions asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Time Served

wonder if the aclu is gonna protest them infringing on our rights

its still "we the people"right?

"So this is how democracy dies, with thunderous applause"

"a lesson lived is a lesson learned, everyday is a lesson."

obama is a man made disaster
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Canada is welcome here.

This would have angered me greatly. I would have told them sure you can enter my house, upon agreement that you let me enter your house and root through your stuff and see what all you've got there. Maybe i think you are some kind of criminal and i better check you out. I would have told him to read the constitution if he has any question about what i am doing.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
This would have angered me greatly. I would have told them sure you can enter my house, upon agreement that you let me enter your house and root through your stuff and see what all you've got there. Maybe i think you are some kind of criminal and i better check you out. I would have told him to read the constitution if he has any question about what i am doing.
Sounds like a pretty good way to get your ass beat. Just tell them you want your lawyer present before you can let them in or answer any questions.

Give me a dollar.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 AM
Canada is welcome here.

They cant beat your ass for voicing an opinion. I didnt say yell it at em lol. Just calmly state it. They would think you were a dick, but i think they are a dick for acting like commies.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyp View Post
wonder if the aclu is gonna protest them infringing on our rights
We now know you have a sense of humor.

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:41 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Sounds like a pretty good way to get your ass beat. Just tell them you want your lawyer present before you can let them in or answer any questions.
I'm trying to figure out why you couldn't just say "I'm a law abiding citizen and don't have time for this, thank you and good day"

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Lifer

I'd just close the door on their face and tell them to come back with a warrant.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I'd just close the door on their face and tell them to come back with a warrant.
Also an option. I do kind of feel the need to preach to them though lol. They need to know they shouldn't take all this too far. Why not try to catch the people who are breaking the law? What happened to that? If the guys they are looking for are Mexican, doesn't it stand to reason that they might have darker skin than the white guy they were questioning? I mean there was some description of who they were looking for, correct? IDK i already forgot what was in the op and the article.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Banned

What Mr. Heston (may he R.I.P.) said...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Canada is welcome here.

LOL @ that pic.

"Heston is known for having played heroic roles, such as Moses in The Ten Commandments, Colonel George Taylor in Planet of the Apes, Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar in El Cid, and Judah Ben-Hur in Ben-Hur, for which he won the Academy Award for Best Actor. In the 1950s and 1960s he was one of a handful of Hollywood actors to speak openly against racism and was an active supporter of the Civil Rights Movement. Initially a moderate Democrat, he later supported conservative politics and was president of the National Rifle Association from 1998 to 2003."
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
he later supported conservative politics and was president of the National Rifle Association from 1998 to 2003.
Yup, he finally saw the light.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:51 PM
PAN

Quote:
LOL @ that pic.

"Heston is known for having played heroic roles, such as Moses in The Ten Commandments, Colonel George Taylor in Planet of the Apes, Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar in El Cid, and Judah Ben-Hur in Ben-Hur, for which he won the Academy Award for Best Actor. In the 1950s and 1960s he was one of a handful of Hollywood actors to speak openly against racism and was an active supporter of the Civil Rights Movement. Initially a moderate Democrat, he later supported conservative politics and was president of the National Rifle Association from 1998 to 2003."
Point is?

Personally, I like it and espouse the exact same sentiment...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement