Iran - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Gunga galunga

Iran

Well its been a week of rioting after the reelection Mahmoud Ahmadinejad... So could the Iran "problem" finally take care of it's self? Maybe the social unrest has finally reached a tipping point...

"Apres moi le deluge"

Last edited by jakesford; 06-18-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Lifer

He will start killing them off, and everything will quiet down.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 PM
IA2

If the people of iran keep up the protests something will have to change. Ahmadinejad is facing some tough choices, either allow the protests to go on (ie: wait it out), or squash them with the military. Getting the military involved would enrage the people even more, leading to bigger protests and maybe a coup. Waiting it out has it's own risks as well. Definitely interesting times we live in.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Gunga galunga

Bay of Pigs... but have it actually work this time

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Time Served

Pssst, Israel....

Its time....

post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Lifer

to bad americans dont know how to rally together like the iranians.we just might be able to stop some shit here at home.

RON PAUL '08
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Time Served

i bet the shaw don't look to bad to them any more. it's a fucking religious dictatorship not a democracy .

" dont mess with the porchdog........ he bites "
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Things MIGHT start getting real interesting now. However it is naive to think these folks will just rise up. Most of these protesters are NOT anti Khamenei (Iran's Supreme Leader). They are anti Ahmadinejad. Most of them support their Islamic system and respect Khamenei. Now that Khamenei has laid down the law they have to decide whether or not they are willing stand up against their Islamic system. I have a HUGE amount of doubt that these folks are ready to do that.

For those of you that don't know. Iran's real political power resides with Khamenei and the Guardian Counsel. Everything Iran's President does is with their approval. However they mainly take a hands off approach. During Presidential elections, the Supreme Leader (Khamenei) "approves" who the Presidential candidates are. He then allows the people to pick from the list of candidates. None of these candidates would dare stand up to Khamenei unless they are intent on starting a civil war or a coup. Of the four candidates, Ahmadinejad is the only one with the influence to potentially pull off something like that because he has a lot of influence in the Iranian military.

IMO, one of two things are about to happen. Either opposition candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi will back down and everything will go back to normal or we will see a massive crackdown with a lot of deaths. The only way that Mousavi becomes Iran's next President is through a coup and IMO these folks simply don't have the support or military backing to pull it off.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31440649...deastn_africa/
Quote:
Khamenei says Iran vote was ‘definitive victory’
Supreme leader defends Ahmadinejad, sternly warns against 'chaos'

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's supreme leader said Friday that Iran's disputed presidential vote had not been rigged, sternly warning protesters to halt massive demonstrations or be held responsible for creating chaos.

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei sided with hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and offered no concessions to the opposition. He effectively closed any chance for a new vote by calling the June 12 election a "definitive victory."

The speech created a stark choice for opposition candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi and his supporters: drop their demands for a new vote or take to the streets again in blatant defiance of the man endowed with virtually limitless powers under Iran's constitution.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Pro-Mousavi Web sites had no immediate reaction to Khamenei’s warning and no announcement of any changes in a protest planned for 4 p.m. Saturday.

Khamenei blamed foreign media and Western countries of trying to create a political rift and stir up chaos in Iran.

"Some of our enemies in different parts of the world intended to depict this absolute victory, this definitive victory, as a doubtful victory," he said, according to an official translation on state TV's English-language channel. "It is your victory. They cannot manipulate it."

Speech at site of earlier riots
Khamenei said the 11 million votes that separated Ahmadinejad from his top opponent, Mousavi, was proof that fraud did not occur.

"If the difference was 100,000 or 200,000 or 1 million, one may say fraud could happen. But how can one rig 11 million votes?" Khamenei asked during Friday prayers at Tehran University.

Outside the university compound, thousands listened intently to his speech booming from loudspeakers set up along the street, at times cheering and chanting to voice their approval for his words.

At the same venue, hundreds of university students had demonstrated in support of Mousavi on Sunday, throwing stones at riot police trying to disperse protesters outside the gates.

Mousavi and his supporters have staged massive street rallies in recent days that have posed the greatest challenge to the Iran's Islamic ruling system since the 1979 Islamic Revolution that brought it to power.

State media have reported seven or eight people killed in protests, apparently by pro-government militia groups. Scores of opposition activists have been arrested.

Warning of a much harder crackdown
So far, the government has mostly allowed the protests to take place. But Khamenei opened the door for a much harder crackdown.

"It must be determined at the ballot box what the people want and what they don't want, not in the streets," he said. "I call on all to put an end to this method. ... If they don't, they will be held responsible for the chaos and the consequences."

Khamenei blamed the United States, Great Britain and what he called Iran's other enemies for fomenting unrest and said Iran would not see a second revolution like those that transformed the countries of the former Soviet Union.

"American officials’ remarks about human rights and limitations on people are not acceptable because they have no idea about human rights after what they have done in Afghanistan and Iraq and other parts of the world," he said. "We do not need advice on human rights from them."

Many European countries and international human rights organizations have criticized the election and its aftermath, but President Barack Obama’s administration has muted its comments to keep the door ajar for possible dialogue.

Khamenei remained staunch in his defense of Ahmadinejad, who attended Friday's prayers, saying his views were closer to the president's than to those of former President Hashemi Rafsanjani, a powerful patron of Mousavi.

Khamenei's address was his first since hundreds of thousands of Mousavi supporters flooded the streets in Tehran and elsewhere in the country in rallies evoking the revolution that ended Iran's U.S.-backed monarchy.

On Thursday, supporters dressed in black and green flooded downtown Tehran in a somber, candlelit show of mourning for those who have been killed in clashes since Friday's vote.

Khamenei said the street protests would not have any impact.

"Some may imagine that street action will create political leverage against the system and force the authorities to give in to threats. No, this is wrong," he said.

Small window of legal challenge
The supreme leader left open a small window for a legal challenge to the vote. He reiterated that he has ordered the Guardian Council, an unelected body of 12 clerics and Islamic law experts close to the supreme leader, to investigate voter fraud claims.

The Council has said it was prepared to conduct a limited recount of ballots at sites where candidates claim irregularities.

He stressed that the four candidates were part of the country's Islamic system and reminded listeners that Mousavi was prime minister of Iran when Khamenei was president in the 1980s.

"All of them belong to the system. It was a competition within the ruling system," he said.

So far, protesters have focused on the results of the balloting rather than challenging the Islamic system of government. But a shift in anger toward Iran's non-elected theocracy could result in a showdown over the foundation of Iran's system of rule.

Ahmadinejad has appeared to take the growing opposition more seriously in recent days, backtracking Thursday on his dismissal of the protesters as "dust" and sore losers.

The crowds in Tehran and elsewhere have been able to organize despite a government clampdown on the Internet and cell phones. The government has blocked certain Web sites, such as BBC Farsi, Facebook, Twitter and several pro-Mousavi sites that are vital conduits for Iranians to tell the world about protests and violence.

Text messaging, which is a primary source of spreading information in Tehran, has not been working since last week, and cell phone service in Tehran is frequently down. The government also has barred foreign news organizations from reporting on Tehran's streets.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:28 PM
The Janitor

The phone network and the internet throttling were done within the exact timeframe of the voting. The disruption was pre-planned and the results were announced before the mandatory 3-day counting period for the ballots. The election was clearly rigged with lots of warning signs, like incumbant rallies being held within the restricted areas around voting centers, etc.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:52 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell View Post
The phone network and the internet throttling were done within the exact timeframe of the voting. The disruption was pre-planned and the results were announced before the mandatory 3-day counting period for the ballots. The election was clearly rigged with lots of warning signs, like incumbant rallies being held within the restricted areas around voting centers, etc.

All this appears to be true. But the question remains, will the Iranian public do something about it and CAN they do something about it. At this point, both are very much in doubt.

post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Time Served

The Sarge is right:
You'll see a crackdown and a lot of deaths...

The Mullahs aren't about to give up any control.

If there is any good news to this, it is this:
The old adage "Live by the sword, Die by the sword" usually rings true at some point...

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Lifer

Iran still appears to be in chaos this morning. I wonder if Obama is now wondering if he should have been more focused on his foreign policy and less on ramming more spending and taxes down his own people's throats?

I doubt it.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Time Served

SGT Beavis is right. Now I'm wondering if Obama is going to pull a Jimmy Carter? We're getting lots of info from the people of Iran and it's all bad. The volunteer militia is shooting people in the streets. The police are beating people with batons while riding dirt bikes, it seems like it's something out of a bad kung fu movie.
In Iran, most of the populace is under 30. Ahmadinejad has very little support among young voters, but as stated has a lot of support in the military and the backing of Khamenei. I hear it from everywhere, the young people of Iran (it seems) are not prepared to back down until they are rid of Khamenei. The Shah was a Godsend compared to these mullahs! These youths are now ridding themselves of their parents' mistake!
SS

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
-Samuel Johnson
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:14 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Seller View Post
SGT Beavis is right. Now I'm wondering if Obama is going to pull a Jimmy Carter? We're getting lots of info from the people of Iran and it's all bad. The volunteer militia is shooting people in the streets. The police are beating people with batons while riding dirt bikes, it seems like it's something out of a bad kung fu movie.
In Iran, most of the populace is under 30. Ahmadinejad has very little support among young voters, but as stated has a lot of support in the military and the backing of Khamenei. I hear it from everywhere, the young people of Iran (it seems) are not prepared to back down until they are rid of Khamenei. The Shah was a Godsend compared to these mullahs! These youths are now ridding themselves of their parents' mistake!
SS
Thank goodness! It's a relief to see them standing up for themselves. I hope it works to their advantage and they work towards building a better nation. ANYONE looking to better their country has my full support.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Thank goodness! It's a relief to see them standing up for themselves. I hope it works to their advantage and they work towards building a better nation. ANYONE looking to better their country has my full support.

I agree it is a good thing that the people in this country are finally standing up for themselves. I hope it becomes contagious and some of the other countries in the region take notice and finally stand up for themselves also.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:
SS
We've gone to WAR to free some countries, and Barry won't even speak up? What a chickenshit! Come on guys...he's a chickenshit! The POTUS, the bastian of freedom for the world, won't even VERBALLY back a movement for freedom? Barry may have thought he worked in a "war zone" (south-side Chicago), but at least Carter fought in a war...

This POTUS is a chickenshit, plain and simple.

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
SS
Good post SS. Your personal knowledge of Iran does give special credence to what you just said.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
Good post SS. Your personal knowledge of Iran does give special credence to what you just said.
I, too, agree with this. I love his knowledge of Jimmy Carter, even though, A) He's not from this country, and B) He wasn't even born yet! That shows how generations are affected by Carter's bullshit.

post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Lifer

Fuck it, when's the real shooting gonna start?
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
I, too, agree with this. I love his knowledge of Jimmy Carter, even though, A) He's not from this country, and B) He wasn't even born yet! That shows how generations are affected by Carter's bullshit.
He too is able to independently see the similarities between Carter and Obama. His father I'm sure accurately related his own first-person experience of the Carter era and Carter's shameful abandonment of the Shah.
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Time Served

I'm still hesitant to take shots at Obama, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with some of his policies. I do have my quarrels with him, but still have a great deal of faith in him. However, I really can't blame him for not wanting to repeat 1953 and also being weary of stoking the fire which is the Islamic Republic. Those mullahs will use anything they can skewer and try to pass it off as fact. They try to block the people from information and the most basic human rights, those which my country were founded upon over 2500 years ago!

The key difference that I have always maintained is that these people are first Muslims, and therefore Arabs, while those of us who are now united against them are Iranians first and foremost. It is the Muslims who advocate violence and death, it is the Iranians who are resisting by marching silently and advocating change and fair representation.

I do not think Mousavi is the man for this, he still fears the regime and is not prepared to stand against them. He just happened to echo some of the most important facets of the current cause. Thing are apparently quiet now, I am waiting as I'm sure are many others to see what will happen next. I think it will get worse before it gets better. All my family members in Iran are on edge, I'll post up once I hear back from my family since internet access seems limited right now.
SS

-Samuel Johnson
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I agree it is a good thing that the people in this country are finally standing up for themselves. I hope it becomes contagious and some of the other countries in the region take notice and finally stand up for themselves also.
I was talking with my friend, who has half of his family in Iran, and he basically said that the media is making it seem as if the country is more divided than it actually is. He is really afraid for his family most of whom are older. His cousins, who are much younger are participating in the protest though, so he has a fairly rounded idea of what is happening. I agree with you in wishing that the movement becomes contagious but it just seems unlikely to me considering what he said.

Working on my project Stang
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:

The key difference that I have always maintained is that these people are first Muslims, and therefore Arabs, while those of us who are now united against them are Iranians first and foremost. It is the Muslims who advocate violence and death, it is the Iranians who are resisting by marching silently and advocating change and fair representation.
Iranians are not Arabs. They are primarily Persians. There are very few Iranian Arabs.

The country with the most Muslims isn't even an Arab country. It is Indonesia.

In other words, Muslim does not always equate to Arab.

Just correcting a few things.. Carry on.

post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:40 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
Iranians are not Arabs. They are primarily Persians. There are very few Iranian Arabs.

The country with the most Muslims isn't even an Arab country. It is Indonesia.

In other words, Muslim does not always equate to Arab.

Just correcting a few things.. Carry on.
Iranians are Iranians, Persian is the name given to us by ancient Greece because of our language. What I was trying to say is that Islam is the religion of the Arabs, not of the Iranians. These fundamentalist Muslims are more Arabic than they are Iranian, they are more attached to their Arabic religion than they are to their Iranian nation. To me, they may as well be Arab conquerors from 1300 years ago. They behave the same way those Arab hordes did when they forcefully converted my people from our true religion, Zoroastrianism.
SS

-Samuel Johnson
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Factory Issue

Whatever they do, they shouldn't invite the Shah, or any of his kids back, at least not to a position of power. They need meaningful political reform.

Give me a dollar.
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Iranians are Iranians, Persian is the name given to us by ancient Greece because of our language. What I was trying to say is that Islam is the religion of the Arabs, not of the Iranians. These fundamentalist Muslims are more Arabic than they are Iranian, they are more attached to their Arabic religion than they are to their Iranian nation. To me, they may as well be Arab conquerors from 1300 years ago. They behave the same way those Arab hordes did when they forcefully converted my people from our true religion, Zoroastrianism.
SS
OIC. That makes sense.

post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Lifer

Quote:
SS
Now I know where our buddy Zarathushtra gets his handle.

post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Lifer

I heard so many people this past sunday who were mad at Obama for not doing anything about the situation in Iran. and I think the Iranian election is not something the US should really get involved with.

post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Lifer

You don't think Ahmadinejad strongly preferred Obama over McCain in the U.S. election?
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
I heard so many people this past sunday who were mad at Obama for not doing anything about the situation in Iran. and I think the Iranian election is not something the US should really get involved with.
Yea, all he can do is wag his finger. Not much else. GW woudn't have done anything either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
You don't think Ahmadinejad strongly preferred Obama over McCain in the U.S. election?
President Obama has been a "lets play nice" pussy. There is no reason for Iran to come to the table. They basically hold all the cards. The President is in a weak position to negotiate anything. At least with GW there was a REAL threat that he would bomb the shit out of their nuke sites. I'm not saying that would be the best option, but the Iranians would have at least taken that as a credible threat.

post #31 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
Yea, all he can do is wag his finger. Not much else. GW woudn't have done anything either.

President Obama has been a "lets play nice" pussy. There is no reason for Iran to come to the table. They basically hold all the cards. The President is in a weak position to negotiate anything. At least with GW there was a REAL threat that he would bomb the shit out of their nuke sites. I'm not saying that would be the best option, but the Iranians would have at least taken that as a credible threat.
Had they held our hostages a week longer in '81, Ronnie would have dealt them some nastiness with a quickness. We wouldn't have this now, had he done that.

post #32 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 PM
T-MINUS

I think the religious leaders attacking the civilians will backfire.

I'm just waiting for Obama to offer up troops to silence the 'rebels'

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #33 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:41 PM
IA2

NEWS FLASH: Apparently some of the revolutionary guard are beginning to defect. This whole deal just got a hell of a lot more interesting. I think some shit is about to happen.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...tionary-guard/
post #34 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
NEWS FLASH: Apparently some of the revolutionary guard are beginning to defect. This whole deal just got a hell of a lot more interesting. I think some shit is about to happen.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...tionary-guard/
Wow! It seems that the snow ball just keeps getting bigger. I wonder what the tipping point will be.

Working on my project Stang
post #35 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point0pony View Post
I wonder what the tipping point will be.
Something tells me we're watching it

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128