Police Arrest Man for Ammo Hoarding - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Bullet Sponge

Police Arrest Man for Ammo Hoarding

http://www.eagletribune.com/punewshh...yword=topstory

Police: Man said 30,000 bullets were for target practice He is held on $500,000 bail
By Paul Tennant
[email protected] HAVERHILL — Keni Garcia told police he intended to use the 30,000 bullets they found in his car and home for target practice.
That is hard to believe, the prosecutor at Garcia's arraignment said, because if he were to fire a gun for eight hours a day, it would take weeks for him to use all of it.
Garcia, who allegedly bought thousands of rounds of ammunition and had 10,000 bullets in his car when he was stopped by police Thursday, was ordered held on $500,000 cash bail yesterday.
Attorney Socrates de la Cruz of Lawrence, who represented Garcia, 32, of 12 Freeman St., at his arraignment in Haverhill District Court, said he will appeal the high bail in Superior Court.
Garcia is charged with three counts of possession of a high-capacity firearm, illegal possession of ammunition and illegal storage of a firearm. His case was continued until June 12.
Assistant District Attorney Christopher Holland asked Judge Patricia Dowling to impose $750,000 cash bail.
"He has no reason to stay here," Holland said.
The judge ordered Garcia to surrender his passport, and said that if he makes bail he is not to leave Massachusetts.
Garcia is a native of the Dominican Republic who was expected to become a U.S. citizen yesterday, but then he was arrested, authorities said.
Police arrested Garcia after he had left Interstate 495 at Exit 49 Thursday. They said they found 10,000 rounds of ammunition in his car. His two young daughters also were in the car, police said.
Holland said at Garcia's arraignment that a "joint effort" by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and state police found that Garcia had previously bought 20,000 rounds of ammunition in New Hampshire.
Garcia told police he only intended to use the bullets for target practice at a rifle range, Holland said, disputing Garcia's explanation. His common law wife, Elizabeth Reynoso, consented to a search and police found another 20,000 rounds, Holland said. They also found one .38-caliber and two 9 mm handguns, and $25,000 in cash, Holland said.
The prosecutor said all of the bullets seized from Garcia were for .38-caliber, 9 mm and .22-caliber firearms. Such ammunition is "like gold in the Dominican Republic," he said.
Holland said Reynoso told police he had "a shipping type of business" and that the $25,000 in cash must have come from Garcia cashing a business check.
"Where is the crime?" de la Cruz asked. The lawyer said Garcia had lived in New Hampshire for three years before recently moving to Haverhill.
"He bought the guns legally," de la Cruz said. "He never hid the fact that he had them."
Furthermore, de la Cruz said that when Garcia moved to Haverhill, he had a 60-day grace period to obtain a Massachusetts firearms card.
"There is no crime committed," he argued, saying there was no evidence that Garcia was shipping guns or ammunition to the Dominican Republic.
He asked the judge to allow his client "to go back to his job." He said Garcia has worked at a local bakery for three years.
Yesterday, Freeman Street residents interviewed by The Eagle-Tribune said they did not know anything about Garcia or guns and ammunition being stored at or shipped from his home.
Medline Abiles, of 43 Freeman St., who resides across the street from Garcia's house, said that in the two months she has lived in the neighborhood, she has not observed any weapons or ammunition and had no reason to be suspicious. Her sister, Carmen Reyes, who visits frequently, said she also had never noticed anything suspicious at the two-family house at 12 Freeman St.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:12 PM
not exclude

I'm confused, what did he do wrong?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Bullet Sponge

Nothing. He had ammo on him in Mass. That's it

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:19 PM
T-MINUS

He did nothing wrong. Someone like the NRA needs to step in on this one.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Time Served

I know lots of people that have that kind of ammo in their house...
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

lol..I wonder how many bricks of .22 he had...

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Lifer

Fuck, hope I dont get stopped.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Bullet Sponge

Probably quite a few. I wonder how he was supposed to get the ammo from point A to B if it's illegal to drive with it.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Lifer

line in the sand comes to mind.

RON PAUL '08
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
Garcia is charged with three counts of possession of a high-capacity firearm, illegal possession of ammunition and illegal storage of a firearm.
This what he did wrong. If you have a gun in Taxachusetts it has to be locked up. I mean, if it wasn't you might be able to use it.

Not only that but the governor wants to deny bail if you are brought up on charges for gun possession:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/...001/0/TOWN0204

Sounds a lot like England to me.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:43 PM
I might, im drunk.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Fuck, hope I dont get stopped.

You would get a one way ticket to death row
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:15 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
I'm confused, what did he do wrong?
He chose to live in Massachusetts. You are all sorts of wrong if you do that.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Lifer

thank you john kerry,you un american peice of shit.

the end

RON PAUL '08
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM
PAN

Does this mean that if you have too many... decks of cards, you can go to jail? Thumb tacks? Oooh, how about knives?

What a crock of shit. A big huge crock pot of stinking shit...
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Lifer

its only a matter of time before we have to get liscenses to have cards,tacs,and knives.

but you'll have to pay a carbon tax of 50% on those items.

RON PAUL '08
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83 View Post
its only a matter of time before we have to get liscenses to have cards,tacs,and knives.

but you'll have to pay a carbon tax of 50% on those items.
Yup. I'm not surprised one bit.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Lifer

Fuck this bullshit. NRA def needs to step in for counsel on this, or this will become a normal thing.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Painting Your House

This is why I only have 1 single shell for every gun I own. Oh, and 1 arrow for each bow. You just cant be too careful these days.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Clown

There has got to be more to this story. So lets see:

1) The guy is not a U.S. citizen
2) Has an abundance of ammunition
3) Has an exporting buisness and ships stuff to the Dominican Republic
4) Works for a bakery and has 25K of cash laying around...(I sure choose the wrong career)

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds suspicious? Once again I am sure that there is more to the story.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
PAN

Be nice if we could pay those taxes with big huge crock pots full of shit.

Because that's all we're going to have left after the thieving bastards are through. They take our money, leave us shovels full of shit...
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82 View Post

4) Works for a bakery and has 25K of cash laying around...(I sure choose the wrong career)

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds suspicious? Once again I am sure that there is more to the story.

They alluded to an export business. Is it illegal to ship ammo to that country? Was he smuggling? Unless you can say with certainty you're pissing into the wind, as at least on the surface, this is inexcusable...
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Painting Your House

Quote:

I half way thought the same way, but still, they are going about it all wrong. The initial arrest should be trafficking. Not ammo hoarding.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
They alluded to an export business. Is it illegal to ship ammo to that country? Was he smuggling? Unless you can say with certainty you're pissing into the wind, as at least on the surface, this is inexcusable...

Got get me wrong. I don't agree with the charge just thinking there is somthing missing from the story. As far as shipping ammo to a foreign country, I wasn't aware that an individual could ship ammo to any country.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
PAN

Quote:
Got get me wrong. I don't agree with the charge just thinking there is somthing missing from the story. As far as shipping ammo to a foreign country, I wasn't aware that an individual could ship ammo to any country.
Why assume the worst? It's really not beyond the pale that our gov't of JBTs has again tramped upon the rights of yet another source of tax revenue...

Do you doubt this sensationalist media would not have siezed the moment if they could paint him as a smuggling right wing gun nut? I don't.

<---Half full of shit...
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Lifer

For all those watching this thread that do not own mustangs or live in DFW, you know who you are. I lost all my ammunition and firearms in a tragic boating accident.

More and more stories like this are surfacing. Very scary stuff.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
This what he did wrong. If you have a gun in Taxachusetts it has to be locked up. I mean, if it wasn't you might be able to use it.

Not only that but the governor wants to deny bail if you are brought up on charges for gun possession:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/...001/0/TOWN0204

Sounds a lot like England to me.
But that doesn't answer for the other counts he was cited for: three counts of possession of a high-capacity firearm, illegal possession of ammunition and illegal storage of a firearm.

You answered the storage...WTF is illegal possession of ammunition?

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Lifer

would not being a US Citizen be the root cause of his problems? I am trying to understand the unlawful possession of ammunition.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Lifer

Amazing. Just fng amazing.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Amazing. Just fng amazing.
I hope there is no jack boot thuggery going on in our area. I consider Texas to be the best place on Earth you know.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake1996 View Post
I half way thought the same way, but still, they are going about it all wrong. The initial arrest should be trafficking. Not ammo hoarding.
Maybe they are doing this now and people will say that is fine because he seemed to be doing something shady and there will be no backlash. Then, when precident is set, they can argue in court that it's okay to do it because it has been done before.
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Arresting someone for simply having ammunition is BS. Arresting someone for illegaly owning firearms is a different story. So is arresting someone for illegaly distributing firearms and ammunition. According to this, the guy is not licensed to possess a firearm.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...ill_man_c.html

Whether it's a BS law or not, it's the law. The other article makes some reference to a 60 day grace period to obtain a card, but then it also states he had lived there for a few months at least. Who knows what's up with that?

I don't know what the laws/rules are for exporting ammunition/firearms, but I'm sure they are pretty stringent. I'm willing to bet they have evidence of him doing just that or they wouldn't have moved in. I'd at least say he was on a watch list. Either way, there needs to be more to the story.

My question is how many of you would be defending him if he were a non-citizen Muslim?

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl View Post
Arresting someone for simply having ammunition is BS. Arresting someone for illegaly owning firearms is a different story. So is arresting someone for illegaly distributing firearms and ammunition. According to this, the guy is not licensed to possess a firearm.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...ill_man_c.html

Whether it's a BS law or not, it's the law. The other article makes some reference to a 60 day grace period to obtain a card, but then it also states he had lived there for a few months at least. Who knows what's up with that?

I don't know what the laws/rules are for exporting ammunition/firearms, but I'm sure they are pretty stringent. I'm willing to bet they have evidence of him doing just that or they wouldn't have moved in. I'd at least say he was on a watch list. Either way, there needs to be more to the story.

My question is how many of you would be defending him if he were a non-citizen Muslim?
I just want to know if you can check for my name on the list. j/k
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
I just want to know if you can check for my name on the list. j/k
LOL I'd say you're good, even if you buy 10K rounds once. My guess is that buying 10K+ rounds multiple times trips something. It's like with my AMEX or Visa -- when a $20K purchase is made, they okay it, but start calling to make sure it was me and that I have the card. I'm guessing this is similar.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Bullet Sponge

If he was a non citizen Muslim, he should have his ass deported immediately. I'm thinking Gitmo is nice this time of year
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
If he was a non citizen Muslim, he should have his ass deported immediately. I'm thinking Gitmo is nice this time of year
The guy in the article is a non-citizen Dominican. Should he be deported too?

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Lifer

He should be deported only after paying a hefty fine or serving time. If we're going to have gun laws, enforce them.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
For all those watching this thread that do not own mustangs or live in DFW, you know who you are. I lost all my ammunition and firearms in a tragic boating accident.

More and more stories like this are surfacing. Very scary stuff.
Wow, Happened to me just last week.

Mopar63

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar63 View Post
Wow, Happened to me just last week.
Yep. Me too.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement