My neice has been deployed to Afghanistan.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Exclamation My neice has been deployed to Afghanistan....

My little neice is springing into action in the US Army. It was quite a surprise a couple of years ago when she announced her intentions to join the Service, but indeed she did. In high school one of her boyfriends was in ROTC, and her friends tended to hang with those types..... so when she graduated hight school, she signed up with the Army. She is so tiny she barely made the minimum weight requirement, or at least that was the running joke - She is 5 feet nothing and less than 100 pounds. She has always been a cool little chick.... hung with a good crowd, she was a little late in turning into a woman.... still had braces and pimples and a little girl figure even as as a senior.... so she wasn't exactly fighting off the men .. She went to basic training in at Fort Leonard Wood, and it not only did she turn into a little cutie, but turns out she was an excellent shot and an excellent leader. She went for the Military Police training ad eventually plans to do something with intelligence down the line sometime.

She thought she was to be stationed in South Korea right after her MP training and was excited about that, but then the plan changed to Colorado, so she was excited about that, but then she wound up at Ft. Hood, about 30 minutes from Pflugerville where she grew up. So, she was kinda cool with being near home for the last year or so.

But, she got her orders to go to Afghanistan, and here is her current status....... she sent an email just yesterday....... of course everyone is a bit nervous about our little Caitlyn going off to war.... she looks like a 15 year old BOY with her short haircut, lol.... my grandma is just SURE something is going to happen to her with those mean men in the military, be it friend OR foe.. but she can definitely handle herself..... anyway here is what she wrote:

Hello everyone!!!

I am in a location in the middle of China and Afghanistan, but i cant tell you where because of security reasons. Me adventure began early morning on the 14th and i flew from ft hood to chicago. Then flew from chicago to canada where it was snowing like crazy. then flew from canada to iceland which was amazingly beautiful and so fun to be there.

We tried alot of their food and the people there are beautiful. We then flew from iceland to Germany where we hung out with the marines and the guys all stared at the german woman. their a bunch of cheese balls. We then went from Germany to Romania...which i dont mention a place to ever visit. it looks like a greener west texas and the people are very rude, but then again there were surronded by a hundred smelly and loud soldiers.

From there we flew to where i am no in central asia. Im on an air force base and im surronded by snow covered mountains. There are military personell from all over the world here. The british, norwegien, iraqi, afghani, and all american military are here.

I spend alot of the time with the men in the afghanistan army. i cant understand them and they can understand me but there a blast to be around. During the day we played soccer with them and at night they beat on buckets and people dance around. Def an amazing night.

We have to go everywhere with our battles. mines name is kassabian and we never leave each others side. Im being moved tomorrow up in the mountains so it will be hard for me to stay in contact so this may be the last email for awhile. besides having to lug around 89lb of extra ammo and barrels for my weapon i am having a blast so far and cant wait to see what happens next. I miss everyone and love you all.

SPC Britton

She is a bit in overload mode, but she is mentally tough and takes things in stride. I think she'll be fine....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I Я Invizabul

She is gonna be fine. My brother is stationed out of Hood as well. He is in Iraq right now doing god knows what. All we can do is pray that they stay safe.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

And spelling police, kiss off... I am sure she did not have time to proof read with everyone having to share 1 computer.... her grammar skills are up there with the best of them.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Lifer

Sounds like she will hauling around her body weight on her back, too. Sounds like a tough little broad! I thank God for these young people that us old people send off to war. My thoughts/prayers will be with her.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Sounds like she will hauling around her body weight on her back, too. Sounds like a tough little broad! I thank God for these young people that us old people send off to war. My thoughts/prayers will be with her.
Yeah she is solid as a rock, all brawn. She is a damn good shot, too... she can do sniper type stuff when called upon to do so, but it's not her specific job...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
Yeah she is solid as a rock, all brawn. She is a damn good shot, too... she can do sniper type stuff when called upon to do so, but it's not her specific job...
After raising two daughters, I gained a whole new repect for females. My oldest is 5'2", and played college soccer. I swear to God, she would fight a damn buzz-saw. When pressed, some women don't play...I wish your niece nothing but the best, and tell her to keep that head down!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:26 PM
blank

I'm heading that way in October for the 4th time. If she goes to Bargram then she has it made. But is she goes to an FOB like Salerno, Logar ect. life is gonna suck.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Bullet Sponge

My brother's in Iraq, best of thoughts to everyone over there
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:32 PM
not exclude

Only 93LXHorse can turn "my niece is getting deployed" into a written chapter.

Best of luck to her and her family. Just as a little Army FYI, if it doesn't sound like much it's probably worse than you think. If it sounds really rough...it's probably pretty okay.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Lifer

Let me know when she gets back!

Really cool of you to share this with us Chris. Stay safe SPC Britton!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Here is my sister's input......

After receiving the email from Caitlyn.....

We spoke to Caitlyn last night before she sent this e-mail out (she was at a base with internet service). It was definitely like an international call from the old days - we could barely hear each other and kept shouting "what?". She is certainly having an exciting time, but I think reality will set in when she has to take her first shower with a hand held hose! She found out yesterday that she will be one of the units that will be sent away from Bagram, after all (oh, how the Army likes to change their minds!). She will be stationed on a French base somewhere in the mountains, in a very remote location. We don't except to hear from her for some time. She will be training the Afghani Police and will be the only female on her base, since the French don't allow women into the military. I was NOT excited that her orders were changed back to being far away from an American base. We know that she is in God's hands. I will send out her address and care package requests soon. Thank you for continued prayers!

Boy isn't THAT great news!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Let me know when she gets back!

Really cool of you to share this with us Chris. Stay safe SPC Britton!
I'll do that! Matter of fact you and I, and your sis and my neice, could go hang out, get some ice cream and catch a movie or something...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Army Strong

She'll be fine. I'll prolly be there next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
There are two kinds of people in this world son, those that jerk off and those that lie about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Weird, cuz I'd rather be out on the streets sucking dick for crack than working!
http://www.phoenixtears.ca/ Cancer cure.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
I'll do that! Matter of fact you and I, and your sis and my neice, could go hang out, get some ice cream and catch a movie or something...
I'm down like doo doo brown.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 09:03 AM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
just as a little army fyi, if it doesn't sound like much it's probably worse than you think. If it sounds really rough...it's probably pretty okay.
qft
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM
T-MINUS

You said she's cute...you know protocol!

All my best to her!

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Lifer

Heading to a French FOB......man she will have it made. First) the French don't fight out here. Second) the first thing they pack is the booze. Third) well I don't have a third, how about the French don't fight.

She will be fine. I will look for her a 5 nothing less than 100lb SPC Britton can not be that hard to spot over here. I want to say I recall a little blonde by that name last month in BAF. I travel all over the damn country here it is likely I would run into her. Hell I have hit over 40 Bases/FOBs/COPs since I got in country 3 years ago.

She will be fine man, this will be a great chapter in her life. She can always look back and say, yep I did that too. Send her tons of mail no matter how simple or minor you think it is. Just getting a box or letter is a great morale booster here.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Factory Issue

She rocks for serving! Tell her thanks.

Give me a dollar.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Awesome! Tell her we're all rooting for her over here and to stay safe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement