Democrats to Raise Gas Prices - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Old Timer

Democrats to Raise Gas Prices

If they don't give this CAP shit to the oil companies, then refineries may close or get rapped by new "TAXES" errr... Cap trade, paid to the government. We all KNOW oil companies do not pay taxes, they just pass it onto us at the gas pump. Also at risk is power companies. WTF! I already pay a shit ton for power during the summer.

What a bunch of fucktards in congress.

WE NEED TERM LIMITS FOR CONGRESS

Quote:
House Democrats' emissions bill includes concessions to major polluters

11:06 PM CDT on Wednesday, May 13, 2009
By DAVE MICHAELS / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

WASHINGTON – House Democrats are approaching consensus on a major legislative effort to regulate greenhouse gas emissions – with significant concessions to nearly every major polluter except the oil industry.

Under the proposal, big polluters would have to reduce their carbon dioxide emissions or buy pollution credits to meet government targets. Lawmakers have offered free credits to electric utilities – the largest source of emissions – to blunt the impact on electricity prices and garner votes from lawmakers who represent coal-producing states.

Democrats also have offered free credits to manufacturers, including steel and cement producers, which face foreign competition. Automakers would get free credits, which they could sell, provided they plow the revenue into making electric vehicles.

But top Democrats seem loath to give credits to refineries, which would have to reduce their emissions and develop cleaner-burning gasoline. Texas has 26 refineries and produces nearly 25 percent of the country's gasoline.

Rep. Gene Green, D-Houston, has had difficulty negotiating free credits for refineries. He blamed the fact that refineries, unlike defense contractors, are concentrated in a few states. That means fewer lawmakers to stick up for the industry, he said.

Refineries also look unlikely to get credits that would go to industries that compete with overseas manufacturers. Washington Rep. Jay Inslee, who has helped negotiate details of the bill, said the country doesn't import enough gasoline for refineries to qualify as "trade sensitive."

Charles T. Drevna, president of the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association, said oil companies would produce less gasoline in the U.S. – and employ fewer people – if they face the regulations here but not overseas.

"Is investment in the U.S. at risk? Absolutely," Drevna said. "Why would anybody invest in something that is going to be capped?"

As the senior Texas Democrat on the committee, Green has received a steady stream of requests from home-state politicians to oppose mandatory caps on carbon emissions. He and Rep. Charles Gonzalez, D-San Antonio, have met several times with California Rep. Henry Waxman, the lead author of the legislation, to negotiate provisions affecting the oil industry.

"Both Congressman Gonzalez and I want to vote to control carbon [dioxide emissions], but we're not going to vote to hurt our districts and to hurt the state of Texas," said Green, whose district includes five refineries.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee plans to consider the legislation next week. The full details of legislation are due to be released today.

So far, Waxman and other Democrats have agreed to soften the near-term targets for pollution reductions. The latest proposal would cap emissions at 17 percent below 2005 levels in 2020, down from the original target of 20 percent.

A provision that would have required utilities to get 25 percent of their electricity from renewable sources by 2025 has been reduced to 15 percent by 2020.

Despite those changes, Republicans have suggested they will oppose any mandatory caps on carbon emissions, although they probably don't have the votes to block the bill.

Rep. Joe Barton, R-Arlington, and other Republicans plan to introduce their alternative to Waxman's legislation today.

"This not just a run-of-the-mill reauthorization of existing law, or some idea whose time has come," Barton said. "This is for all the economic marbles in the country."

2006 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:15 AM
Lifer

x2

RON PAUL '08
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Lifer

It's what most Democrats do, fuck things up.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Bullet Sponge

And we have no way of stopping this.....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
Nope, we're pretty much screwed.

I predict that the MOMENT this passes, wholesale gas prices skyrocket. We won't even have to wait for it to take effect. The speculators will just start dumping cash into it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Bullet Sponge

I think the majority of this won't hit till after next year's elections. They don't want to black out their constituents until their friends are reelected
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM
IA2

This just follows their "green" and "punish the wealthy" agenda. The oil companies will simply pass thru whatever taxes are applied to them, so gas becomes more expensive at the pump. People will react by driving less and by buying more fuel efficient cars (what they want to happen). This is the same reason that obama threw out bush's drilling edicts (which he passed too late in his term).

I believe that all of this environmental protection bullshit is going to be the undoing of the dems, once the dullards figure out that it is going to cost them more.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Bullet Sponge

Then they can get back to bitching because the road tax coffers are going empty because people aren't driving so they have to push up gas tax again and put GPS sensors in our cars which makes us drive less and means higher taxes...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
Remove them by force. Vote in people that will repeal this horseshit.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Fuzzy Flounder Fishin'

Location: On the express train to management training in hell.
I love the irony of these fucksticks trying to "Go Green" by trying to reduce the very thing that plants and other "green" stuff on the planet uses as food. Do these jackholes know that every long-winded breath they take emits carbon dioxide too? Jesus F. Christ there's more CO2 emissions coming out of the mouths of these idiots in Washington than we can even fathom.

┌∩┐(-_-)┌∩┐
That's directed at you, UHHHbama
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I always thought the Democratic Party said that they were the party of the "common man". Of course it's bull shit but that's what they have said. So how the fuck does this help the common man? When a family that lives below the poverty line gets hit with $5 to $10 for a gallon of gas, how the fuck can the Democrats even make that claim? They'll make it but of course they'll be lying.

For me personally, this isn't going to be a big deal. I don't have to drive to work because I telecommute. I already save a lot of what I bring in. I can afford to make my house more energy efficient. Middle class Americans will feel the pain but even they can make improvements to their homes or buy a more fuel efficient car.

But some fella that makes $30k or less a year can't afford that. He has to drive his old beater that gets 20mpg, or worse, to his day job that is 20+ miles from home. He doesn't have the money to make improvements to his home if he is fortunate enough to own one. Landlords certainly are not going to put down the extra cash to help them save on their energy bills.

This bill fucks the poor more than anyone else. That my friends is a change that you can believe in.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
I always thought the Democratic Party said that they were the party of the "common man". Of course it's bull shit but that's what they have said. So how the fuck does this help the common man? When a family that lives below the poverty line gets hit with $5 to $10 for a gallon of gas, how the fuck can the Democrats even make that claim? They'll make it but of course they'll be lying.

For me personally, this isn't going to be a big deal. I don't have to drive to work because I telecommute. I already save a lot of what I bring in. I can afford to make my house more energy efficient. Middle class Americans will feel the pain but even they can make improvements to their homes or buy a more fuel efficient car.

But some fella that makes $30k or less a year can't afford that. He has to drive his old beater that gets 20mpg, or worse, to his day job that is 20+ miles from home. He doesn't have the money to make improvements to his home if he is fortunate enough to own one. Landlords certainly are not going to put down the extra cash to help them save on their energy bills.

This bill fucks the poor more than anyone else. That my friends is a change that you can believe in.
1) The "democratic party" as my folks knew it, went down the shitter when they took Kennedy out.
2) Barry doesn't give two shits about the poor. It's all about power.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 06:35 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
1) The "democratic party" as my folks knew it, went down the shitter when they took Kennedy out.
2) Barry doesn't give two shits about the poor. It's all about power.
agreed. But you've got to admit, they've certainly got them fooled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement