Teen Homeschooler Arrested Under Patriot Act - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Teen Homeschooler Arrested Under Patriot Act

Pay no attention we're just here to protect you.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Lifer

While I think homeschooling is retarded, that is just ridiculous.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

6th Ammendment, whaaaa?

But really... "I don't believe in guns." Are they like unicorns or something?

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Lifer

Im not taking the FBI's side, but how the hell does she know what a "Blast Cap" is? Kind of strange. Your average mother/housewife would not even know that word existed.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Im not taking the FBI's side, but how the hell does she know what a "Blast Cap" is? Kind of strange. Your average mother/housewife would not even know that word existed.
Probably been researching to break her son outta the clink

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Lifer

Bush did it!!!

Oops.....on second thought I don't think he was still in office on March 5
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:43 PM
KJ94GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Exactly. I just complained about the same thing. It irritates me when people say "I don't believe in guns..." or "I don't believe in this or that." Well, you better believe it because guns are real. You should instead say "I do not want to be around guns" or something similar.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 PM
PAN

Quote:

Sorry bro, but the only way that thought process would be valid would be if you knew every exposure she had throughout her life. You don't know if she was a coalminers daughter, if her brother used to fish with dynamite, etc. There could be myriad reasons for her to know what a blasting cap is. Just the knowing does not damn her. That assumption is as baseless as these determinations by JBTs that law abiding citizens who only want the best for their country are terrorists because they don't hold the same set of beliefs.

Now off to actually watch the video...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 08:53 PM
PAN

After having watched it, I hafta say that I'm not surprised. They say that this is not what the Patriot Act was designed to do, yet I feel that this is EXACTLY what it was designed to do.

Very disheartening, this certainty that if you step out of line, if you draw the wrong sort of attention to yourself, you get hung and quartered with no chance to present a defense. Not at all what this country was built to be. Yet now it is slowly showing itself as the oppressive monolithic entity which can crush you at will it has surely become...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Token Troll

So how long until they start using the Patriot Act to start rounding up all those "extremists"?

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Bullet Sponge

I am on dialup. What happened?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
I am on dialup. What happened?
Someone stole a homeschool kid's IP, used it to make fake bomb threats, and they arrested the kid under the USAPATRIOT Act.

Give me a dollar.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

The mother said that someone stole his IP address. I doubt that is the case but she probably isn't the most technically adept person so it is forgivable.

IMO, if what she says is true, then it is more likely that something like this happened...

http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/...pranksters.ars
Quote:

911 service not prepared for new generation of pranksters

Prank callers are using VoIP and caller ID spoofing services to pull expensive wool over the eyes of 911 call centers. Solutions are available to bring these centers into the 21st century, but even the cheapest ones are priced outside the realm of the aging service.

The Internet and the hooligans who exploit it have evolved over the past few years, but sadly, America's 911 service hasn't kept up. Pranksters are wreaking havoc on the service and on call center budgets by placing fake calls through a flaw in the way the aging emergency phone system handles VoIP networks.

After paying a small fee to one of the readily available caller ID spoofing services available on the Web, a prank caller with a grudge or a serious psychological problem can call 911 and tell the operator just about any story he or she wants. Since the 911 system wasn't built with VoIP in mind, these calls appear to originate from anywhere, and said hooligans take full advantage of the opportunity. The practice has been dubbed "swatting," typically because the spoofed emergency stories that these troubled individuals make up are horrible enough to send police and even SWAT teams to unsuspecting victims on the other side of town or the continent.

The AP reports one recent incident that occurred in 2007, when 18-year-old Randal Ellis in Mukilteo, WA falsified his location and called a 911 support center in Orange County, CA. For 27 minutes, Ellis spun a story about drugs and murder that sent the Orange County Sherriff's department SWAT team to the house of Doug and Stacey Bates. Ellis told the operator that he was high and had just shot his sister, and after police stormed the house, Doug and Stacey were handcuffed.

This was just one of the 185 calls Ellis made to 911 call centers around the US, according to Yahoo Tech, and the Bates family was picked at random. After being caught, the teen pleaded to five felony felony counts that include computer access and fraud, as well as false imprisonment by violence, and was sentenced to serve three years in prison. Another major case involved eight people who arranged over 300 swatting calls, while another in 2006 involved a teen in Dallas, TX who made up a story about killing family members and threatening hostages with an AK-47.

As is the case in the unrelated area of the government's computer-automated mass surveillance efforts, false positives are a terrible drain on the resources of the 911 system, since they mobilize law enforcement at considerable expense to no end. Ellis' Orange County call ultimately cost authorities over $14,000, as a helicopter and K-9 unit accompanied police and SWAT forces.

One proposed method to guard against these calls is to upgrade 911 call center systems to display a caller's IP address when applicable, but despite all the ruckus in recent years over VoIP services and 911, the overwhelming majority of (legitimate) calls are still from traditional land lines and cell phones. A cheaper solution that could reportedly cost under $5,000 would at least display a caller's VoIP service name, but, at least for now, even that is outside the budgetary realm of too many call centers.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
The mother said that someone stole his IP address. I doubt that is the case but she probably isn't the most technically adept person so it is forgivable.

IMO, if what she says is true, then it is more likely that something like this happened...

http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/...pranksters.ars
If that's what happened...ok...but hold him for over two months for it???

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
While I think homeschooling is retarded...
What exactly, is retarded about homeschooling?
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
I'm just commenting on that one small aspect. Frankly I've thought the Patriot Act was a mistake from the get go. Anytime a huge piece of legislation is pushed through and not even read by Congress, you can expect trouble.

And yes, it is George Bush's and the Republican's fault for pushing that legislation through. It is Obama and the Democrat's fault for not doing a damn thing about it. Oh, and they are not going to do a damn thing about it. As I've said before, there is very little difference between the two parties.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
Personally, I think this is a bigger problem than the Patriot Act. This is the world we live in now.

If law enforcement didn't arrest the kid and something happened, the victims and society would rip the cops. If they arrest the kid and find it was a prank, they get ripped for being the gestapo.

While I think they should have taken more time up front to verify the information, there's no easy way to do it. They have to cross every T and dot every I so WHOEVER made the threats does not walk.

Think about the time line, they have to get a search warrant for the ISP. They have to wait days or weeks for the info. If by chance they get the wrong info, its more waiting. Of course then they have to get another search warrant for the "other kids" ISP. What happens if the ISP is in another country?

I also think there is more to this story that we don't know. Why is this a Federal case? Who or what were the threats against?

I feel bad for the kid sitting in jail but this is a no win situation for either side.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
6th Ammendment, whaaaa?

No shit. She should be arrested on that basis.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
I'm just commenting on that one small aspect. Frankly I've thought the Patriot Act was a mistake from the get go. Anytime a huge piece of legislation is pushed through and not even read by Congress, you can expect trouble.

And yes, it is George Bush's and the Republican's fault for pushing that legislation through. It is Obama and the Democrat's fault for not doing a damn thing about it. Oh, and they are not going to do a damn thing about it. As I've said before, there is very little difference between the two parties.
Beavis, you're sounding like a goddamned butthead.

Why can we not get it understood that government, as a whole, works TOGETHER. There is no republican or democrat at that level. It is all a facade designed to keep us at each others throats while they do what they are doing every fucking day. Wake the fuck up people.

<----Off to blindly pull the conservative lever while demonizing all those who pull the liberal lever...
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Lifer

*update*

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...one-call-star/

Turns out the kid wasn't arrested using the patriot act. The mom incorrectly stated that. And for those who can't read the link, here's the whole article:

A 16-year-old North Carolina boy arrested for allegedly making a bomb threat against Purdue University had a secret identity as a superstar in an unusual online subculture — one dedicated to making prank phone calls for a live internet audience, his mother admitted Thursday.

“I heard the prank phone calls he made,” says Annette Lundeby of Oxford. “They were really funny prank phone calls…. He made phone calls to, like, Walmart.”

Lundeby confirmed that her son was known online as “Tyrone,” a celebrity in a prank-calling community that grew late last year out of the trouble-making “/b/” board on 4chan. Using the VOIP conferencing software Ventrilo, as many as 300 listeners would gather on a server run by Tyrone to listen to him and other amateur voice actors make often-crude and racist phone calls, some of which are archived on YouTube. The broadcasts were organized through websites like PartyVanPranks.com.

A former fan of Tyrone’s work helped lead the police to Lundeby’s son after the boy allegedly moved beyond pranks this year and began accepting donations from students eager to miss a day of school. In exchange for a little money, Tyrone would phone in a bomb threat that would shutter the donor’s school for a day.

“People would pay about five dollars, and they get to submit a number,” says Jason Bennett, a 19-year-old college student in Syndey, Australia. “It was getting way out of hand.”

Lundeby admits that her son received donations for his prank phone calls, but denies that he made bomb threats. She says her son was with her, coming home from church, at the time of the February 15 phone call that summoned a bomb squad and evacuated the mechanical engineering building at Purdue University in Indiana.

Bennett didn’t hear the Purdue call, but he says he heard Tyrone admit to that bomb threat later, and decided enough was enough. He contacted university police and began helping them get the goods on “Tyrone.”

The case came to a head the night of March 5, when Tyrone made a series of rapid-fire bomb threats against five different schools around the United States. Bennett recorded the calls.

“This is a warning to every staff, student and anybody else who may be in the school tomorrow afternoon at 11:00 a.m.,” the caller is heard saying in a voicemail message for Mill Valley High School in Shawnee, Kansas.

“There are twelve bombs located throughout the entire campus at the school,” the caller continues (.mp3). “They are in random lockers throughout the school — I will not tell you which lockers they are located in. There are also two in the bathroom and there is one in the gym. You have exactly one hour after 11:00 a.m. to find and disarm the bombs. That is all I have to say. All will be cleansed.”

After leaving similar threats with four other schools, Tyrone gives listeners his e-mail address and asks for PayPal donations. Then he promises more calls in the morning. “I’m going to go to bed so I can fucking wake up at 6:00 in the morning and I’m going to cancel about eight or nine schools maybe,” he says. “You guys have fun missing school tomorrow.”

When Tyrone signed off, Bennett immediately put the recording on his own web server and provided a link to a Purdue University police detective working the case, who shared it with the FBI. Police warned the schools that very night that the calls were hoaxes, and the FBI — armed with a search warrant and a criminal complaint — swooped in on Annette Lundeby’s home at 10:00 p.m., seized computers and arrested her son.

Lundeby insists the “Tyrone” on the recording must be a different prank caller using her son’s online handle and e-mail address. “I’ve asked him about this and he doesn’t know anything about it,” she says. “There are other people who sound like him.”

Bennett says Lundeby knew her son had made bomb threats. “His mother knew that he was making calls, because she’d come on the microphone when he was talking and tell him not to do any bomb threats because the house was going to get raided,” he says. “He said he wasn’t going to do any more bomb threats because his mom didn’t approve of them. But then he did them anyway.”

Lundeby denies knowing anything about her son staging bomb hoaxes. But she admits seeing a YouTube video in which “Tyrone” jokes that he’s hidden a bomb in a box of take-out chicken.

In that call — laced with profanity and racist slurs — Tyrone is heard phoning a New York cigar shop while watching on a webcam streamed though the video-feed site New York City Live. When he sees a food delivery arrive at the checkout counter, he tells the clerk, “Your chicken is here. It contains the bomb which will detonate. It’s my bomb. It’s the bomb that will detonate in five minutes. The fried chicken has a bomb in it.”

“I’m not sure if that was him or not,” says Lundeby. “If you’ll notice, the guy is also playing along with him. A lot of these calls are pre-setup. The other person on the other end knew it had been preset.”

“He did not make the bomb threat to Purdue,” she adds. “Even so, it’s about the Constitution.”

The arrest of Lundeby’s son stoked widespread outrage on the internet after Raleigh, North Carolina’s WRAL-5 reported on the case, noting that the boy is a patriotic homeschooled student with an American flag bedspread.

Much of the online fury was triggered by Lundeby’s incorrect claim — uncritically reported by the station — that the boy was being held without any legal rights on the authority of the 2001 USA Patriot Act. In truth, making telephone bomb threats has been a federal crime since 1939.
The teenager is being held without bail in Indiana, but he’s been formally charged, has a court-appointed attorney, and has already made three appearances in front of a judge. The case is sealed because the suspect is a minor.

Responding to the internet outrage on Thursday, the U.S. attorney’s office for the Northern District of Indiana issued a press release (.pdf) emphasizing the the teenager is not being held on terrorism charges. The case “alleges a violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 844(e), which prohibits sending false information about an attempt to kill, injure or intimidate any individual or to unlawfully to damage any building through an instrument of interstate commerce,” the prosecutors wrote.

“The government has filed a motion with the Court seeking to transfer the juvenile to adult status,” the government added. “That motion is pending before the Court and is scheduled for a hearing during the month of May.”

Regarding Slo3gt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Junk View Post
Whining about someone disclosing their salary on a message forum usually leads to said whiner being a broke dick. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:47 AM
not exclude

Well I'll be.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Token Troll

Hell. That changes everything. Punk a$$ got what he deserved, should he be guilty.

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 04:08 PM
PAN

That does change things just a tad. Hang him...
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 04:26 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

stupid bitch lying out her fucking mouth... kid got caught, tough shit. Didn't believe the original report in the slightest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement