Guilty until proven innocent? ...if Obama has his way. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Guilty until proven innocent? ...if Obama has his way.

Jesus Christ on a unicycle... what the fuck?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090504/D97VCGHG0.html

Quote:
Obama also planned to ask Congress to crack down on tax havens and implement a major shift in the way courts view guilt. Under Obama's proposal, Americans would have to prove they were not breaking U.S. tax laws by sending money to banks that don't cooperate with tax officials. It essentially would reverse the long-held assumption of innocence in U.S. courts.

How's THAT for some change?!

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090504/D97VCGHG0.html

How's THAT for some change?!
I agree here. The better approach would be to force the banks to cooperate or fine those using them heavily.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Time Served

Obama also planned to ask Congress to crack down on tax havens and implement a major shift in the way courts view guilt. Under Obama's proposal, Americans would have to prove they were not breaking U.S. tax laws by sending money to banks that don't cooperate with tax officials. It essentially would reverse the long-held assumption of innocence in U.S. courts.

So enabling the U.S to effectivley enforce U.S tax laws, on people who try to side step them by using overseas banks is a problem? You just read the guilty until proven inncocent part and got all bent out of shape. I hate taxes but if we have to pay our share then billionaires and corporations should be forced to also.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenCobra View Post

So enabling the U.S to effectivley enforce U.S tax laws, on people who try to side step them by using overseas banks is a problem? You just read the guilty until proven inncocent part and got all bent out of shape. I hate taxes but if we have to pay our share then billionaires and corporations should be forced to also.
If they can use it in tax court, what's to stop them from using it in criminal court? Nevermind that income taxes are illegal and unconstitutional to start with, or that we have no control over other countries' laws.

Give me a dollar.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Shit... I'll get back to you guys later on the issue. I'm stil LOLing at this shit!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Ah, so this is just a correction to the "living document"?

Please review the 5th and 6th Amendments to the Constitution and try to understand why the burden of proof lies on the prosecution in the (true) American legal system.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Ah, so this is just a correction to the "living document"?

Please review the 5th and 6th Amendments to the Constitution and try to understand why the burden of proof lies on the prosecution in the (true) American legal system.
and thus why I said the better action would be to force the banks to cooperate or heavily fine someone banking at such institution. Those being investigated could provide account statements if they wanted to avoid fines. Hiding behind other country's bank laws is not a valid reason to avoid taxes, but they shouldn't be held guilty rightaway.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Num say'n? (tm)

Quote:
You just read the guilty until proven inncocent part and got all bent out of shape.
Yeah, funny thing there; When someone attempts to take away our constitutional rights, we get downright testy! Being forced to prove yourself innocent would only slightly violate the 5th amendment right to not be forced to incriminate yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I'm stil LOLing at this shit!
Unicycle? I thought it was tap dancing or roller-skating

DFWMustangs.net
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Lifer

If you want visibility into their transactions, create and enforce laws regarding financial transfers. You can't come back to convict people for actions they comitted while the act was legal.

You really don't see this as a power grab? The actions of the Obama administration are showing me - clearly - that they are not interested in enforcing current law. They are attempting to change the basic legal concepts of this country.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Worship me

You can't force foreign banks to do shit.

The guilty until proven innocent mode of operation was normal at the IRS up until a few years ago. This isn't doing anything but bringing that back.

None of this really matters anyway, the Feds will make a new law and the corporations who use these loopholes will then turn their armies of accountants and attornies loose to figure out a way around them.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
None of this really matters anyway, the Feds will make a new law and the corporations who use these loopholes will then turn their armies of accountants and attornies loose to figure out a way around them.
True story!

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement