post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Obama coming after more of your rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
Obama legal team wants to limit defendants' rights

By MARK SHERMAN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Obama administration is asking the Supreme Court to overrule long-standing law that stops police from initiating questions unless a defendant's lawyer is present, another stark example of the White House seeking to limit rather than expand rights.

The administration's action - and several others - have disappointed civil rights and civil liberties groups that expected President Barack Obama to reverse the policies of his Republican predecessor, George W. Bush, after the Democrat's call for change during the 2008 campaign.

Since taking office, Obama has drawn criticism for backing the continued imprisonment of enemy combatants in Afghanistan without trial, invoking the "state secrets" privilege to avoid releasing information in lawsuits and limiting the rights of prisoners to test genetic evidence used to convict them.

The case at issue is Michigan v. Jackson, in which the Supreme Court said in 1986 that police may not initiate questioning of a defendant who has a lawyer or has asked for one, unless the attorney is present. The decision applies even to defendants who agree to talk to the authorities without their lawyers.

Anything police learn through such questioning cannot be used against the defendant at trial. The opinion was written by Justice John Paul Stevens, the only current justice who was on the court at the time.

The justices could decide as early as Friday whether they want to hear arguments on the issue as they wrestle with an ongoing case from Louisiana that involves police questioning of an indigent defendant that led to a murder confession and a death sentence.

The Justice Department, in a brief signed by Solicitor General Elena Kagan, said the 1986 decision "serves no real purpose" and offers only "meager benefits." The government said defendants who don't wish to talk to police don't have to and that officers must respect that decision. But it said there is no reason a defendant who wants to should not be able to respond to officers' questions.

At the same time, the administration acknowledges that the decision "only occasionally prevents federal prosecutors from obtaining appropriate convictions."

The administration's legal move is a reminder that Obama, who has moved from campaigning to governing, now speaks for federal prosecutors.

The administration's position assumes a level playing field, with equally savvy police and criminal suspects, lawyers on the other side of the case said. But the protection offered by the court in Stevens' 1986 opinion is especially important for vulnerable defendants, including the mentally and developmentally disabled, addicts, juveniles and the poor, the lawyers said.

"Your right to assistance of counsel can be undermined if somebody on the other side who is much more sophisticated than you are comes and talks to you and asks for information," said Sidney Rosdeitcher, a New York lawyer who advises the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University.

Stephen B. Bright, a lawyer who works with poor defendants at the Southern Center for Human Rights in Atlanta, said the administration's position "is disappointing, no question."

Bright said that poor defendants' constitutional right to a lawyer, spelled out by the high court in 1965, has been neglected in recent years. "I would hope that this administration would be doing things to shore up the right to counsel for poor people accused of crimes," said Bright, whose group joined with the Brennan Center and other rights organizations in a court filing opposing the administration's position.

Former Deputy Attorney General Larry Thompson and former FBI Director William Sessions are among 19 one-time judges and prosecutors urging the court to leave the decision in place because it has been incorporated into routine police practice and establishes a rule on interrogations that is easy to follow.

Eleven states also are echoing the administration's call to overrule the 1986 case.

Justice Samuel Alito first raised the prospect of overruling the decision at arguments in January over the rights of Jesse Montejo, the Louisiana death row inmate.

Montejo's lawyer, Donald Verrilli, urged the court not to do it. Since then, Verrilli has joined the Justice Department, but played no role in the department's brief.

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Chains we can believe in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Out

Good luck with that one! Like I'd say shit anyway... until they waterboard me, maybe.
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Fuzzy Flounder Fishin'

Location: On the express train to management training in hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Good luck with that one! Like I'd say shit anyway... until they waterboard me, maybe.
So i guess you won't be talking!

┌∩┐(-_-)┌∩┐
That's directed at you, UHHHbama

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Lifer

Eleven states also are echoing the administration's call to overrule the 1986 case.

Really?

Some how I don't think the PEOPLE of these States are calling for less rights.
I'll just bet it's the Liberal (Communist) representatives calling to kill more of your rights. What ya bet?

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Lifer

Just heard today, that by next week, we will have a national health care program. They're "back-dooring" it through the house and senate, with little more than 35 hours of discussion. There's a loophole involving the "budget", that allows the senate to vote on it without confering with the republican party. It only requires a straight-out majority, which the dems easily have. Adolph Fidel Obama will be on "prime-time" TV next Wednesday night on all network stations, to discuss his many accomplishments during his first 100 days in office.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Just heard today, that by next week, we will have a national health care program. They're "back-dooring" it through the house and senate, with little more than 35 hours of discussion. There's a loophole involving the "budget", that allows the senate to vote on it without confering with the republican party. It only requires a straight-out majority, which the dems easily have. Adolph Fidel Obama will be on "prime-time" TV next Wednesday night on all network stations, to discuss his many accomplishments during his first 100 days in office.

What else can they screw up?
Their going to rewrite credit law too.

Before they are done, we'll all be totally dependent on the gouv. for all, that's their plan. It's how they will try control us.
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 04:58 AM
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:01 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
People do not want this. It's kind of a 'not in my backyard' issue. Yeah, help the poor, but I shouldn't be forced to buy it or be jailed if I can't afford it.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
People do not want this. It's kind of a 'not in my backyard' issue. Yeah, help the poor, but I shouldn't be forced to buy it or be jailed if I can't afford it.
"Health-care" makes up 17% of our economy, and soon, uncle Barry and his gestapo will control it. This is friggin' scary, man. I've been around longer than most board members, and seen a lot of bad shit come out of D.C. (LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Clinton, Bush I and II), and for the first time in my life, I'm scared.

post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Lifer

Quote:
"Health-care" makes up 17% of our economy, and soon, uncle Barry and his gestapo will control it. This is friggin' scary, man. I've been around longer than most board members, and seen a lot of bad shit come out of D.C. (LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Clinton, Bush I and II), and for the first time in my life, I'm scared.
I'm going to have to agree with this one 100%. Although I can't say I remember LBJ.

By everything he is doing, it seems like he wants America to revolt, so he can impose martial law on the nation. And this would be a bad thing, considering the laws in place at the moment.

Summary:
With all the laws in place at the moment, if martial law was imposed, all powers of the government would transfer to F.E.M.A. Which by the was has no elected officials. And congress can not even review the situation for 6 months.

My question to you.

If , a megalomaniac was is in charge of F.E.M.A. at the time martial law is imposed.

Do you thing congress will exist 6 months later?

These laws really need to be changes. And the only way to do this is to vote out every one in congress in 2010, and demand that these presidential orders, and laws are changed.

It this does not happen......... I do fear the worst.

As far as national health care? You mean like Mexico? Where people are dieing from the flu? And our private health care has recorded none? Hummmmmm.... Yeah, I want that! Where are headed for hell in a hand bad.

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.

Last edited by tazz007; 04-26-2009 at 09:56 AM.
post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz007 View Post
I'm going to have to agree with this one 100%. Although I can't say I remember LBJ.

By everything he is doing, it seems like he wants America to revolt, so he can impose martial law on the nation. And this would be a bad thing, considering the laws in place at the moment.

Summary:
With all the laws in place at the moment, if martial law was imposed, all powers of the government would transfer to F.E.M.A. Which by the was has no elected officials. And congress can not even review the situation for 6 months.

My question to you.

If , a megalomaniac was is in charge of F.E.M.A. at the time martial law is imposed.

Do you thing congress will exist 6 months later?

These laws really need to be changes. And the only way to do this is to vote out every one in congress in 2010, and demand that these presidential orders, and laws are changed.

It this does not happen......... I do fear the worst.

As far as national health care? You mean like Mexico? Where people are dieing from the flu? And our private health care has recorded none? Hummmmmm.... Yeah, I want that! Where are headed for hell in a hand bad.
This swine flu issue in Mexico, is becoming our problem. Due to a lack of health care "ability", the Mexicans cannot stop it. I see widespread epidemic there, which will expose us, due to our lack of willingness to close our border...

post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Out

Quote:
This swine flu issue in Mexico, is becoming our problem. Due to a lack of health care "ability", the Mexicans cannot stop it. I see widespread epidemic there, which will expose us, due to our lack of willingness to close our border...
What made us great will also be the end of us, unfortunately. Maybe not this, persay, but something dealing with our arms being stretched out to someone.
post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:34 PM
PAN

Quote:
Pandemic would be the correct term sir.

Or, as the good book refers to it, a plague...
post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
Pandemic would be the correct term sir.

Or, as the good book refers to it, a plague...
Ah, yes. The Plague...reminds me of my favorite Stephen King novel, "The Stand".

post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The term you're looking for is called "reconciliation." Congressman Paul Ryan of the House Budget Committee was on the Radio Friday. He wasn't even notified there was a meeting and heard about this crap on the news.

The DEMS want this done before Wednesday so Obama can claim in as a victory during his first 100 days... Its unreal what these idiots are doing to this country...

Here's more information...

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...hiZGIwNjliZWE=
post #16 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 PM
PAN

Quote:
Ah, yes. The Plague...reminds me of my favorite Stephen King novel, "The Stand".
Very good book, that one. Much better than The Long Walk, which was always one of my favs...
post #17 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Dan View Post
The term you're looking for is called "reconciliation." Congressman Paul Ryan of the House Budget Committee was on the Radio Friday. He wasn't even notified there was a meeting and heard about this crap on the news.

The DEMS want this done before Wednesday so Obama can claim in as a victory during his first 100 days... Its unreal what these idiots are doing to this country...

Here's more information...

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...hiZGIwNjliZWE=
That's it, Dan. I heard the same gentleman. WTF? Talk about a hopeless feeling...

post #18 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Lifer

what?

Dreaming of my future creation....

Last edited by 331coupe; 05-04-2009 at 07:13 PM.
post #19 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Lifer

we should have a universal healthcare system

post #20 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 331coupe View Post
Strong argument! Way to back it up with facts and examples. Dumbass.

Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #21 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You can go to Parkland any time you like. What else do you need?

post #22 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Strong argument! Way to back it up with facts and examples. Dumbass.
there is no argument. what facts and examples are you talking about? stated a fact that would be better for everyone. do you feel better about yourself calling me a dumbass?? hope so. are you the guy that lives in Garland and was going to buy a s-trim from my buddy donald??

post #23 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You can go to Parkland any time you like. What else do you need?
you can't be serious

post #24 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:
you can't be serious
It's free, and it's good enough for the illegals and low-lifes', so why not? It's free health care!

post #25 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:21 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
there is no argument. what facts and examples are you talking about? stated a fact that would be better for everyone. do you feel better about yourself calling me a dumbass?? hope so. are you the guy that lives in Garland and was going to buy a s-trim from my buddy donald??
It's not a fact. Dig a little deeper and look at how the systems have failed in the major countries that pushed socialized medicine.

No, not from Garland. Nor would I buy a place there.

post #26 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Lifer

"socialized" medicine, haha. yeah england, germany, canada, they are all sorts of messed up huh?? seems they got something figured out.

post #27 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
"socialized" medicine, haha. yeah england, germany, canada, they are all sorts of messed up huh?? seems they got something figured out.
Oh yeah, bankrupt systems, care structures based on how much 'paying into the system' someone has left in them - ie, a 20 yr old kid will get care over a 50 yr old, regardless of severity, outrageous taxes to pay for a broken system, level after level of bureaucratic mess and severely diminished quality of life.

post #28 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Lifer

these systems have not failed. taxes would actually be apportioned properly, and the care for people does not suffer. lived in germany for five years and witnessed this system at work. at this time I have friends in the netherlands, germany, and the uk.

post #29 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:36 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
these systems have not failed. [b]taxes would actually be apportioned properly[b], and the care for people does not suffer. lived in germany for five years and witnessed this system at work. at this time I have friends in the netherlands, germany, and the uk.
Ahh yes, the redistribution thing again!
Good for you, I have customers in Europe that own/run businesses and talk about how they have been crippled, and their profits raped because they have to support these failed systems.

Obama's smartest choice was to convince the idiots that pay nothing that they should pay less. Once he had the idiots behind him, everything else was easy.

post #30 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:
these systems have not failed. taxes would actually be apportioned properly, and the care for people does not suffer. lived in germany for five years and witnessed this system at work. at this time I have friends in the netherlands, germany, and the uk.
Is this why people from Canada cross into our borders when they get sick? They know it will take weeks to see a professional, heck if you get diagnosed with cancer it takes months possibly years to get treated. From first hand experience talking with our patients from Canada, Germany, UK I would say these systems have failed.

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128