The Border for Dummies... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

The Border for Dummies...

I burst out laughing when I saw this...

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-p...tml?id=1520295

The border for dummies

Can someone please tell us how U. S. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano got her job? She appears to be about as knowledgeable about border issues as a late-night radio call-in yahoo.

In an interview broadcast Monday on the CBC, Ms. Napolitano attempted to justify her call for stricter border security on the premise that "suspected or known terrorists" have entered the U. S. across the Canadian border, including the perpetrators of the 9/11 attack.

All the 9/11 terrorists, of course, entered the United States directly from overseas. The notion that some arrived via Canada is a myth that briefly popped up in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, and was then quickly debunked.

Informed of her error, Ms. Napolitano blustered: "I can't talk to that. I can talk about the future. And here's the future. The future is we have borders."

Just what does that mean, exactly?

Just a few weeks ago, Ms. Napolitano equated Canada's border to Mexico's, suggesting they deserved the same treatment. Mexico is engulfed in a drug war that left more than 5,000 dead last year, and which is spawning a spillover kidnapping epidemic in Arizona. So many Mexicans enter the United States illegally that a multi-billion-dollar barrier has been built from Texas to California to keep them out.

In Canada, on the other hand, the main problem is congestion resulting from cross-border trade. Not quite the same thing, is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Out

9/11?

Blame Canada!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Num say'n? (tm)

That's ok, her boss was in Mexico last week agreeing that we (the US) should help Mexico guard THEIR southern border against South America just as much as we need to guard ours with Mexico.

DFWMustangs.net

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

She's a world class idiot, end of story. And I'm not just saying that because according to her, I deserve to be monitored.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 PM
PAN

Notabitsurprised.

Biggest bunch of damned idiots I've ever seen or heard of running this country. Tax cheats in charge of the treasury, idiots like her in charge of security, community organizers kissing ass across the globe...

Fuck.... Just.... Fuck....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Just a few weeks ago, Ms. Napolitano equated Canada's border to Mexico's, suggesting they deserved the same treatment. Mexico is engulfed in a drug war that left more than 5,000 dead last year, and which is spawning a spillover kidnapping epidemic in Arizona. So many Mexicans enter the United States illegally that a multi-billion-dollar barrier has been built from Texas to California to keep them out.

In Canada, on the other hand, the main problem is congestion resulting from cross-border trade. Not quite the same thing, is it?
Smoke screen to divert the average American Citizen's attention away from the bum rush being allowed over the southern borders.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Token Troll

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Token Troll

Resignation being called for:
Quote:
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano is under fire for what critics see as a string of gaffes, with a small but vocal group of conservatives calling for her to step down.

The outrage continues to build over a report from her department that warned of the danger of right-wing "extremists," and singled out returning war veterans as susceptible to recruitment.

Napolitano expressed regret for the reference to veterans -- but she raised eyebrows again this week when she suggested that the Sept. 11 hijackers entered the United States through Canada, even though the 9/11 Commission determined they came to the United States from overseas.

"I don't know that the secretary understands the depth of the disruption that she's caused," Rep. Michael Burgess, R-Texas, told FOX News on Thursday, referring to the report on extremist threats. "I think the appropriate thing to do is for her to step down and let's move on."

Conservatives made a stern call for her ouster Wednesday night on the House floor.

"Mr. President, fire that woman," said Rep. John Carter, R-Texas, complaining that Napolitano's comments on the controversial report were half-hearted. "To go on television and say your apology to be, 'I'm sorry you were offended by this report,' that's no apology."

Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., also said Napolitano's resignation is in order, and she should be brought before Congress for a hearing.

Napolitano on Thursday acknowledged the criticism and reiterated that the extremist report was "not well written" and should not have been released in that form. She said she would meet with the leadership of the American Legion on Friday over the reference to returning war veterans.

But she rebuffed those who say an apology is not enough.

"That's what they're going to get," Napolitano said.

She also corrected her statements on Canada, admitting that she falsely suggested Sept. 11 terrorists crossed over from Canada. "I knew the minute it came out of my mouth it was wrong," she said.

Napolitano first clarified her comments in a written statement that said: "I know that the September 11th hijackers did not come through Canada to the United States. There are other instances, however, when suspected terrorists have attempted to enter our country from Canada to the United States."

Her explanation was not so clear during the interview Monday with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation that sparked the new controversy.

The secretary was asked to elaborate on comments about giving the Mexican and Canadian borders equal treatment, even though Canada is not experiencing a violent drug war.

"Yes, Canada is not Mexico, it doesn't have a drug war going on," she said. "Nonetheless, to the extent that terrorists have come into our country or suspected or known terrorists have entered our country across a border, it's been across the Canadian border. There are real issues there."

Napolitano was asked if she was referring to the Sept. 11 hijackers. She said: "Not just those but others as well."

This angered some Canadian officials, who called such claims an unfortunate "misconception" in media interviews.

The Canadian newspaper The National Post unleashed on Napolitano. One column called the interview a "train wreck." Another questioned how Napolitano could view the Canadian border as a "security threat on par" with Mexico's.

"Ms. Napolitano's brief interview with the CBC this week was confirmation we're dealing with an irrational senior U.S. official who can't differentiate between a secure border linking the world's largest trading partners and one that's a giant sucking sound for jobs going south and what's been described as an 'invasion' of desperate Mexicans illegally sneaking north," the column said.

Such criticism sprung in part from a speech Napolitano delivered last month at the Brookings Institution, in which she said "we shouldn't go light on one (border) and heavy on the other."

"If things are being done on the Mexican border, they should also be done on the Canadian border," she said. "This is one NAFTA, it's one area, it's one continent and there should be some parity there."

She said she intends to "visit myself" the Canadian border this spring or summer.

House Minority Leader John Boehner briefly addressed the criticism over Napolitano on Thursday.

"I think Secretary Napolitano has an awful lot of explaining to do," he said.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/firs...terans-canada/

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Bullet Sponge

Someone vote for me for her office. Hell, I could do a much better job
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

I predict that she is gone by the end of this year. The media is going to be all over her.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
I predict that she is gone by the end of this year. The media is going to be all over her.
Huh? The same media touting the 90% gun thing? Same media calling for torture investigations?

'05 Redfire Mustang

Sponsored Links
Advertisement