Ignore the elephant in the room... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Ignore the elephant in the room...

I like how this fucking moron tries to minimize the popular opinion that the federal government is a wasteful piece of shit:

Editor's note: Paul Begala, a Democratic strategist and CNN political contributor, was a political consultant for Bill Clinton's presidential campaign in 1992 and was counselor to Clinton in the White House. For another view on taxes, read here

Paul Begala says April 15 is the one day the government asks us to sacrifice for the greater good.

(CNN) -- Happy Patriots' Day. April 15 is the one day a year when our country asks something of us -- or at least the vast majority of us.

For those who wear a military uniform, those who serve the rest of us as policemen and firefighters and teachers and other public servants, every day is patriots' day. They work hard for our country; many risk their lives -- and some lose their lives.

But for the rest of us, the civilian majority, our government asks very little. Except for April 15. On this day, our government asks that we pay our fair share of taxes to keep our beloved country strong and safe.

Freedom isn't free. That's what the courageous World War II veterans of the American Legion taught me back in Texas Boys State decades ago. That phrase had special meaning for them. Those guys had seen buddies blown apart at Anzio or Guadalcanal.

I grew up in a different era. There was no draft, and while I have friends and family members who joined the military, most of my peers, like me, opted for the security and prosperity of the private sector.

This country has showered me with the blessings of liberty. So what do I owe my country in return? Paying my fair share of taxes, it seems, is the least I can do. Thanks to President Obama and the Democratic Congress, 95 percent of Americans will get a tax cut this year. No one -- not even the wealthiest 1 percent -- will have to pay higher income taxes until 2011.

Don't Miss
Commentary: Why your taxes could double
Begala: GOP means "Got 0 Plans"
In Depth: Commentaries
So why are a bunch of Fox News clowns and right-wing cranks hosting "tea parties" all over the country? The Boston Tea Party, in case the clods at Fox didn't know it, protested "taxation without representation." Note the second word: without. The goofballs tossing tea bags today have representation. They voted in the election; they lost.

That a bunch of overpaid media millionaires would lead a faux-populist revolt is comical. They somehow held their populist instincts in check as George W. Bush and the Republicans cut taxes on the idle rich and put the screws to the working stiffs.

Bush's tax policies were a godsend to the Paris Hilton class, but they sent the country on the road to bankruptcy and helped ruin the economy. But now that we the people have decided to set things right, now that we've hired Obama to fix the mess conservatives created, now they're protesting?

Give me a break. Instead of tossing tea bags for the cameras, the Fox phonies ought to go to Walter Reed Army Medical Center. There they would find better, braver men who have truly sacrificed for their country. They deserve nothing but the best -- not the shameful and shoddy conditions they endured during the Bush administration. iReport.com: Share your thoughts on taxes and tea parties

You want something to protest? How 'bout protesting how little we give back to our veterans? Or how 'bout protesting that the entire budget of the National Cancer Institute (where government researchers battle a disease that will strike half of all men and a third of all women) is 0.03 percent of what we gave the bandits at American International Group alone? Oh, but veterans benefits and cancer research might cost money. It might require -- dare I say it? -- paying taxes.

If the whiners at Fox News want to advertise their selfishness, they are free to do so. But please don't dress it up as patriotism. Patriotism is putting your country ahead of yourself -- which is the precise opposite of what the tea party plutocrats are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:27 PM
IA2

I just read that a few minutes ago. It's nice how he berates anyone that's not on board with wasteful spending/obamas policies, and then throws in the vets to make people feel guilty. In fact, there have been a number of condescending articles i've read lately with some random left wing elitist spewing their unenlightened garbage. And, as usual, the blame goes to bush.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
I just read that a few minutes ago. It's nice how he berates anyone that's not on board with wasteful spending/obamas policies, and then throws in the vets to make people feel guilty. In fact, there have been a number of condescending articles i've read lately with some random left wing elitist spewing their unenlightened garbage. And, as usual, the blame goes to bush.
I like how the left wing elitists have felt enough confidence to finally reveal themselves. They've been there all along, we all knew it. I wonder why this guy took the time to address the peasantry.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:54 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
I like how the left wing elitists have felt enough confidence to finally reveal themselves. They've been there all along, we all knew it. I wonder why this guy took the time to address the peasantry.

Because they feel threatened.

Hopefully we don't stop here.

Read earlier Perry was saying Texas could secede. Never thought I would read of a standing governor in this day and age drop that kind of idle threat. Is this and the sovereignity thing akin to poking obsama in the chest or am I just reading it wrong?
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Because he knows that he and Obama will be long gone when the real effects of play now pay later economics come due, Obama will be gone and take a huge yearly salary along with a long laundry list of perks and body guards for life. Why should Obama worry about what he says or does while he is in office. This idiot talking will still be hanging around the fringes sucking up to the next Democrat trying to act important.

We donít need to restore the American Dream; we need to wake up from it.

When the rich run out of money, itís over.

Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:32 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Quote:
I like how this fucking moron tries to minimize the popular opinion that the federal government is a wasteful piece of shit:

But for the rest of us, the civilian majority, our government asks very little. Except for April 15. On this day, our government asks that we pay our fair share of taxes to keep our beloved country strong and safe.

Hey Paul Begala - how come 40% of the country doesn't pay any taxes - how much is there fair share?
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post

Read earlier Perry was saying Texas could secede. Never thought I would read of a standing governor in this day and age drop that kind of idle threat. Is this and the sovereignity thing akin to poking obsama in the chest or am I just reading it wrong?
secession was never proven to be an invalid theory, only that he who has the biggest stick makes the rules about it. That being said, America would not let Texas go quietly. Texas is way too vital for American survival.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

Quote:

I might eventually grow to respect Perry. Now quit talking and lets get this ball ROLLING!

DFWMustangs.net
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Token Troll

I just checked abcnews.com, cbsnews.com, msnbc.com and cnn.com. Surprise, none had a link about the tea parties on the lead page. Just Foxnews.com did on the lead page.

Typical liberal media. Belittle and berate.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Lifer

if texas were to succeed, we would have no military, no border patrol, no federal funding for schools and roads. but most importantly we would not have any credit or currency

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
if texas were to succeed, we would have no military, no border patrol, no federal funding for schools and roads. but most importantly we would not have any credit or currency
Go away you fucking moron... I'm so tired of dumb-asses like you...

So this reporters idea of putting the United States ahead of himself is giving a bunch of dumb-asses in Washington his money to piss away on lazy ass people who think they are entitled? How Patriotic!

On the news the other day, there was a story about a place giving shoes to people in need. They interviewed this bitch who didn't have the money to buy her kids shoes but she sure as fuck had enough money to go get her hair done... She should have been thrown out on her ass...

I'm so tired of the pandering bullshit going on in this country...
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 AM
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:

That would totally be like the end of the world, whatever would we do?!
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Figures. You're too ignorant to know the difference between secede, and succeed.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Dan View Post
Go away you fucking moron... I'm so tired of dumb-asses like you...

So this reporters idea of putting the United States ahead of himself is giving a bunch of dumb-asses in Washington his money to piss away on lazy ass people who think they are entitled? How Patriotic!

On the news the other day, there was a story about a place giving shoes to people in need. They interviewed this bitch who didn't have the money to buy her kids shoes but she sure as fuck had enough money to go get her hair done... She should have been thrown out on her ass...

I'm so tired of the pandering bullshit going on in this country...

im the moron?

you guys believe texas is going to leave the union

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Time Served

Yea because Texas' ecomony couldn't possibly pay them....

What makes you think all the people you named would just up and leave?

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noshine4mine View Post
Yea because Texas' ecomony couldn't possibly pay them....

What makes you think all the people you named would just up and leave?
I'd up and leave to come home to Texas for that. Who needs a military when you have Denny?
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Lifer

texas can hold there own.we are as big as several states combined and have alot of rednecks here.lol

if the pres. ever declared marshall law on the entire country i think you would see texas secede.

now cannonball shut your face and get edumicated.

RON PAUL '08
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83 View Post
texas can hold there own.we are as big as several states combined and have alot of rednecks here.lol

if the pres. ever declared marshall law on the entire country i think you would see texas secede.

now cannonball shut your face and get edumicated.
how would texas survive as an independent nation?

our entire states economy depends on the rest of the US, how many people work for a US company? even the oil we have is controlled by US based companies, as are our ports. we could take it by force, but then the US would impose sanctions and we would be as good cuba.

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:

our entire states economy depends on the rest of the US, how many people work for a US company? even the oil we have is controlled by US based companies, as are our ports. we could take it by force, but then the US would impose sanctions and we would be as good cuba.
How wouldn't the state survive? Are people going to get up the next day and not go to work? Is the dollar going to cease to be legal tender? I don't really see how you can say exactly what would happen.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Hunt James for President

shit, it looks like Gpamp has procreated or one of his turds came to life.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Token Troll

Quote:

Why don't you look up and see how many companies are headquartered here in Texas already?

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Out

Center of the southern half of the United States... prime location. Why do you think places like Dallas grew and Chicago shrank? Major corporations wanted good location, but Texas has better climate as well.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Center of the southern half of the United States... prime location. Why do you think places like Dallas grew and Chicago shrank? Major corporations wanted good location, but Texas has better climate as well.
*cough* taxes *cough*

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
I just checked abcnews.com, cbsnews.com, msnbc.com and cnn.com. Surprise, none had a link about the tea parties on the lead page. Just Foxnews.com did on the lead page.

Typical liberal media. Belittle and berate.

This was on the CBS front page for about an hour or so. I was disappointed when I looked back just now and it was already gone, but it actually is a decent article.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
Why don't you look up and see how many companies are headquartered here in Texas already?
there are plenty...but why would they stay? after all texas would be very unstable internally, and combine that with no existing trade arrangements, it would be very hard to do business outside of texas. many of the fortune 500 companies headquartered here do most of their business outside of Texas, it would make no sense for them to stay.

post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 05:15 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

there are quite a few refineries here in Texas. I don't think we'd have a problem getting trade agreements in place for oil refining.

I'm not for secession.... for now. We need to send a message loud and clear to politicians. If they continue to ignore us then I'll reevaluate my position.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Timmay

Quote:
Why do you think places like Dallas grew and Chicago shrank?
Because it is cheaper.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
Because it is cheaper.
And it is not land constrained. Most larger cities are.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135 View Post
I might eventually grow to respect Perry. Now quit talking and lets get this ball ROLLING!

We're doing the talking, how do we start the walking?
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
That seems to be the big hurdle. No one can give a good answer.

post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Time Served

Quote:
When it needs to happen, it will.
post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtstang66 View Post
When it needs to happen, it will.
I wish, but I just don't see anyone with the capabilities to start it off, doing anything. Sucks.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Time Served

Quote:
I wish, but I just don't see anyone with the capabilities to start it off, doing anything. Sucks.
When it needs to happen, it will happen. There's a lot of disgruntled citizens out there, and there's a reason you can't find ammo and guns cost twice what they should. I don't believe the official line that it's because people are afraid of impending gun legislation either, I believe it's because people think they may need the guns soon and they're getting ready.

I'm not all hot for a revolution, and I don't think the time has come for it, yet.
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Out

Quote:
When it needs to happen, it will happen. There's a lot of disgruntled citizens out there, and there's a reason you can't find ammo and guns cost twice what they should. I don't believe the official line that it's because people are afraid of impending gun legislation either, I believe it's because people think they may need the guns soon and they're getting ready.

I'm not all hot for a revolution, and I don't think the time has come for it, yet.
All hope was lost on November 4th. I wasn't for it until then. I'm down for whatever. This has gotten so bad, that I'm taking steps to move my family out of the country. I'm as die-hard patriot as it gets, but I know when there isn't a chance to make a difference on my own. I'll have my family out of the way and if it ever comes down to what people are talking about here, I'll be on Texas soil to aid in any way I can. Whether I'm flying in from a new place I'm living or here in Iraq. I will drop everything and go.

I don't think waiting for "the time to come" is such a hot idea. This needs to be nipped ASAP.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Time Served

Quote:

I don't think waiting for "the time to come" is such a hot idea. This needs to be nipped ASAP.
Well either start it up or keep waiting. I wasn't around in the 1770s, but I imagine these grassroots protests and people like us talking on message boards like this is probably a lot like how the original revolution started.

Problem is, OK, let's say we all pick up our rifles and overthrow the government tomorrow! Now what?
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Out

Quote:
Well either start it up or keep waiting. I wasn't around in the 1770s, but I imagine these grassroots protests and people like us talking on message boards like this is probably a lot like how the original revolution started.

Problem is, OK, let's say we all pick up our rifles and overthrow the government tomorrow! Now what?
I wouldn't hesitate to start anything, but nobody would listen to anything someone like me had to say, let alone follow.

Now what? I couldn't say, but at least it's a step to improvement, opposite of our decline that we're in. I'd rather be in worse shape, moving towards a better place than maintaining.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Couple thoughts...

1st - On leaving the Union... This was tried once and didn't work. Why? Having fewer soldiers, a lack of industry, and a failing economy doomed the Souths chances in the 'War of Northern Aggression'. The same applies now. In an 'all out war' scenario Texas starts out without controlling the skies and seas. Saying foreign countries will buy our oil is like the Old South counting on the British to buy cotton. They can't if our coast is blockaded. (And forget flying out oil! And if your counting on a failed country like Mexico to come to our rescue then you'll are planning to lose.) As for lack of industry... We would do okay on manufacturing until we ran out of metal and other raw material. Unless someone knows of some huge ore deposits, we couldn't get any more. As for peacably leaving the union... again, this was tried once and didn't work.

5th - On the Revolutionary War comparisons. Do you guys realize just how many times G. Washington thought the colonies were going to lose that war? He was a great and bold leader, who through daring and risky moves won the day. (He gambled the entire Northern Army no fewer than 3 times.) I don't see that here (All apologies to Denny ) I can't see Rich Perry leading this charge. Also, remember France kept its army camped along the channel for much of the war forcing England to keep it's best troops and commanders at home.

3nd - I get the sound-bite joy of all this but it is starting to sound like Hollywood Celebs saying 'I'm going to Canada', back in the Bush days. And most you guys made fun of it. To that I say... This is America, Like it or Leave it! (Couldn't help myself )

4rd - But seriously, if you want change... organize, make a difference. Who went to a tea party? Who went to a tea party and talked to other people? Did you get their name and email? Are you a registered Rep? How about the NRA? Did you contribute $$$ or time to a campaign you believe in? Be a part of the solution. There is an election in 1.5 years. There is your chance for a Rep. revolution. If you answered no the do something! If you answered yes then find the ones who answered no.

5th - But what do I know. I am just a Dem. Shoot away.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Lifer

I honestly don't think most Texans would want to secede, but the message is pretty clear: Leave us the hell alone! We're still the best state in the country to do business in (and live in!) , partly because we have no state income tax. We could always split into 4 states, and quadruple our representation in the house and senate!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdem View Post
Couple thoughts...

1st - On leaving the Union... This was tried once and didn't work. Why? Having fewer soldiers, a lack of industry, and a failing economy doomed the Souths chances in the 'War of Northern Aggression'. The same applies now. In an 'all out war' scenario Texas starts out without controlling the skies and seas. Saying foreign countries will buy our oil is like the Old South counting on the British to buy cotton. They can't if our coast is blockaded. (And forget flying out oil! And if your counting on a failed country like Mexico to come to our rescue then you'll are planning to lose.) As for lack of industry... We would do okay on manufacturing until we ran out of metal and other raw material. Unless someone knows of some huge ore deposits, we couldn't get any more. As for peacably leaving the union... again, this was tried once and didn't work.

5th - On the Revolutionary War comparisons. Do you guys realize just how many times G. Washington thought the colonies were going to lose that war? He was a great and bold leader, who through daring and risky moves won the day. (He gambled the entire Northern Army no fewer than 3 times.) I don't see that here (All apologies to Denny ) I can't see Rich Perry leading this charge. Also, remember France kept its army camped along the channel for much of the war forcing England to keep it's best troops and commanders at home.

3nd - I get the sound-bite joy of all this but it is starting to sound like Hollywood Celebs saying 'I'm going to Canada', back in the Bush days. And most you guys made fun of it. To that I say... This is America, Like it or Leave it! (Couldn't help myself )

4rd - But seriously, if you want change... organize, make a difference. Who went to a tea party? Who went to a tea party and talked to other people? Did you get their name and email? Are you a registered Rep? How about the NRA? Did you contribute $$$ or time to a campaign you believe in? Be a part of the solution. There is an election in 1.5 years. There is your chance for a Rep. revolution. If you answered no the do something! If you answered yes then find the ones who answered no.

I know that you can't count for shit.

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camino View Post
there are 3 kinds of people in this world. those that can count and those that can't.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camino View Post
Now you know why us Dems always screw up our taxes! I just can't count!
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdem View Post
Couple thoughts...

Quality post. Too bad the goof balls on here will let logic obscure their vision or truth and reality. It's funny how when a bunch of right wingers hold a silly tea bag party in protest that everyone is for it. However, if left wingers want to protest something they're just being stupid, ignorant, etc.... Amazing how supportive these fools are of the whole free speech, voice of the people, representation, democracy we have here.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl View Post
Quality post. Too bad the goof balls on here will let logic obscure their vision or truth and reality.
You are right, don't let logic interfere with things. That's crazy talk.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
I honestly don't think most Texans would want to secede, but the message is pretty clear: Leave us the hell alone! We're still the best state in the country to do business in (and live in!) , partly because we have no state income tax. We could always split into 4 states, and quadruple our representation in the house and senate!

So we could send four times as many crooks to DC?

Denny's right, this BS needs to be nipped in the bud. Though it would take someone far further up the ladder than we to make that happen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement