Anyone in "no loss" funds? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Genetically Blessed

Anyone in "no loss" funds?

Curious to know if anyone is currently in, or heard of, no loss funds as an investment option. Basically, you don't lose any of your money you put in, but your upside would be capped at a certain percentage, say 15%.

If you had $50M to put into the fund, you wouldn't lose any of that $50M, but your upside gain would be limited to $7,500, 15% on your investment. Of course, there are fees involved with this investment. Would you find this type of setup attractive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:54 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

You mean 50k right?

From what i know of the No Loss funds ( which is little), you are guaranteed not to lose money, given that you stay in it for a certain period of time (3,5 yrs)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
You mean 50k right?
Yes, M is thousands in the Finance world, MM is million. My apologies, just what I'm used to.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Lifer

Sounds too good to be true, honestly. No risk, whatsoever?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99 View Post
Yes, M is thousands in the Finance world, MM is million. My apologies, just what I'm used to.
My bad.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
Sure, they're out there. Upside loss is the risk. If the market goes up 30%, you lose out on the 15% upside with your gains being capped at 15%.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
Quote:
Basically what you're saying is that financial people don't know how to do math? Maybe that's what got us in this mess?

Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Worship me

A big part of it would be who is making the guarantee. That would determine my interest.

And of course these funds are being promoted right now, given the state of the market.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Basically what you're saying is that financial people don't know how to do math? Maybe that's what got us in this mess?
Lol, I believe it goes back to Roman Numerals. If you were in the Finance industry and put on your resume that you managed risk for $50M, employers would think, "Who gives a shit?"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
I should also say that risk lies in the opportunity cost of investing that $50 thousand in treasuries, which is the closest you should ever hear anyone in investments relating to "guaranteed."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
You mean 50k right?

From what i know of the No Loss funds ( which is little), you are guaranteed not to lose money, given that you stay in it for a certain period of time (3,5 yrs)
Yes, this is what I was looking for. That's the way I understand it as well.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Sure, they're out there. Upside loss is the risk. If the market goes up 30%, you lose out on the 15% upside with your gains being capped at 15%.
Right, I see that part. Personally I would not consider that 15% a loss. When it comes to investing I try not to what-if myself too much. 15% gain is a gain, who cares if you could have made 30%. Take your win and make a better call next time.

Quote:
I should also say that risk lies in the opportunity cost of investing that $50 thousand in treasuries, which is the closest you should ever hear anyone in investments relating to "guaranteed."
I am wondering if these type of investments would be popular right now because those offering them are prospecting that the "30%" is coming in the next year or so, and the average investor would kill for the "15%" right now after seeing their investments tank. About a year and a half ago would have been the time to do this!

Who offers these, I would like to read about some real-life options. Are they timed like a CD? How is price determined? ect...

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Right, I see that part. Personally I would not consider that 15% a loss. When it comes to investing I try not to what-if myself too much. 15% gain is a gain, who cares if you could have made 30%. Take your win and make a better call next time.

I am wondering if these type of investments would be popular right now because those offering them are prospecting that the "30%" is coming in the next year or so, and the average investor would kill for the "15%" right now after seeing their investments tank. About a year and a half ago would have been the time to do this!

Who offers these, I would like to read about some real-life options. Are they timed like a CD? How is price determined? ect...

I think these have been around for a while now. Honestly, I need to find more details to be sure (like that 3 or 5 year minimum commitment).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement