Obama throws due process out the window with 90% tax - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Num say'n? (tm)

Obama throws due process out the window with 90% tax

Regarding the AIG bonuses. Ok, so everybody's pissed off that this company got bailout money gave massive bonuses to their execs. Now our government has decided to tax the AIG bonuses at 90%.

Forget using the civil and criminal courts. Forget due process. Forget the basic values upon which this country is founded. Just tax the hell out of the dirty-rotten SOB's who offend us and bleed 'em dry! The tax system is in place to fund the neccessary operation of the government, not so the government can award itself punitive damages.

We are treading on dangerous ground here. I haven't heard much outrage about this. But has anyone considered the ramifications of this new trend? Obama has already said he wants to force people to stop using petroleum. Obama has already made plans to tax ammunition to the point that nobody can afford to buy it. The list of things that offend Obama goes on and on.

Who will be the next victim of punitive damages via excessive taxation? Will it be gun owners? Churches that don't follow Rev Wright's doctrine? Companies who piss off the NAACP/Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson? People who don't buy into the political agenda of the president?

DFWMustangs.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Lifer

I was skeptical until you said this:
Quote:
The tax system is in place to fund the neccessary operation of the government, not so the government can award itself punitive damages.
You have a hell of a good point there. Damn you've got me all pissed off now...

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:42 AM
How you doin'

i wonder why nobody is pissed about the millions in bonuses that fannie mae and freddie mac have paid out...they're in as bad or worse shape than aig, yet it's ok for them to drop millions on bonuses but not aig.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Gun Nut- Got Lead?

Agreed, the tax is direct assault. It is a targeted attack on citizens.

They should be outraged about the other 99.5% of the money they gave to AIG not the .5%. Just wait till it is shown they levied the tax on those that gave the money back so they were penalized for something they did not accept.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Worship me

The house passed the legislation so there is some due process. It is still bullshit.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Packin' up...

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Gun Nut- Got Lead?

due process my ass, the legislators are not pushing the will of the people that elected them.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Lifer

This is just a fabricated crisis created back in the fall by the same people that are now going to save us from their own mistakes. Get used to it.

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

They fucked up and to cover their asses they are going to tax them to get the money back....
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Num say'n? (tm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
They fucked up and to cover their asses they are going to tax them to get the money back....

Yeah, I like how they wrote protection for the bonuses into the legislation but nobody will own up to putting it in there, and now they want that money back right now!

DFWMustangs.net
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:09 AM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
due process my ass, the legislators are not pushing the will of the people that elected them.
oh, they are. the people that elected them are all pissed off about the bonuses because such a big deal has been made about them in the media. this whole 90% tax thing is just a big "look at me, i'm trying to defend the good tax payer so please keep re-electing me" thing. it's funny that everyone is so up in arms about this little drop in the bucket and the big picture isn't even discussed...the fact that we just keep giving them billions upon billions of dollars...
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 AM
BANNED

Like I have said before... lets start a movement for no one to pay their taxes next year.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 AM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangguy289 View Post
Like I have said before... lets start a movement for no one to pay their taxes next year.
hahaha...then china can come foreclose on us and turn us into slaves.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40 View Post
hahaha...then china can come foreclose on us and turn us into slaves.
We are already slaves to our gubment.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
i wonder why nobody is pissed about the millions in bonuses that fannie mae and freddie mac have paid out...they're in as bad or worse shape than aig, yet it's ok for them to drop millions on bonuses but not aig.
Because Congress-people & their friends got those dollars. Not some greedy capitalist swine!

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Lifer

I've been mad as hell about this from the moment I even heard about a "reclaim" process for these bonuses.

The problem is that the stupid "bailout" was hurriedly conceived and carelessly put together. That is in the good parts! The bailout legislation was written EXPRESSLY to give the crooks at AIG and other companies their bonuses! Now that there is an uproar they are trying to cover up their gaffe by imposing this stupid, ILLEGAL legislation to get it back.

This is the kind of thing that starts revolutions. Go ahead and tax that ammunition Obama. You'll find someone that thinks it's worth the extra dollar per round to use it.

Last edited by 46Tbird; 03-20-2009 at 10:11 AM.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Time Served

what a shady and un-trustworthy government we have....
and they are still pointing the finger at bush?
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

I'd be interested in seeing what the Obamites have to say about this one. How exactly do you defend something as heinously undemocratic as this?

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
I'd be interested in seeing what the Obamites have to say about this one. How exactly do you defend something as heinously undemocratic as this?
They will like it because it is not affecting them. They will love to see the rich people suffer. Remember ... democrats for the poor, keeping us poor.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Lifer

The American people will see what this new administration and the liberals in Congress are all about. The Obama agenda is about power... and not power to the people... but power to the government and a new ruling class. They construct an enemy, turn the focus of the American people on that enemy, and then push forward their radical agenda. In this case, the Obama "enemy" is the fact that AIG executives are getting paid bonuses with taxpayer-funded bailout money. Attention is being diverted to that issue and the "cure" is a new set of government powers that could be used to tax any particular person or group that the government chooses. If that doesn't make you fearful, it should!

Quote:
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camino View Post
Attention is being diverted to that issue and the "cure" is a new set of government powers that could be used to tax any particular person or group that the government chooses.
Absolutely correct.

Where is the Republican outrage about this? Do they not want to be seen in a worse light - for "supporting the AIG bonuses"? Fucking wimps. They are letting it happen. Where is the citizens' voice in this mess?

What happens when they decide that YOU or ME is the enemy of the government and they want to attack us with specialty legislation like this? I love how targeted it is - "only bonuses for those making over $200k/yr and working for companies that received $5b or more in bailout funds." What kind of horseshit is this anyway? It's terrifying.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Absolutely correct.

Where is the Republican outrage about this? Do they not want to be seen in a worse light - for "supporting the AIG bonuses"? Fucking wimps. They are letting it happen. Where is the citizens' voice in this mess?

What happens when they decide that YOU or ME is the enemy of the government and they want to attack us with specialty legislation like this? I love how targeted it is - "only bonuses for those making over $200k/yr and working for companies that received $5b or more in bailout funds." What kind of horseshit is this anyway? It's terrifying.
You have to remember that a lot of politicians got money from AIG Dodd and Obama got the most of any. So they are going to protect them at any cost.

Quote:
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:34 AM
IA2

This is scary, corrupt bullshit. It establishes that the government has the right to punitively punish groups of americans at will, and it covers up the ineptness and corruption of the government for allowing bonuses to happen in the first place. They should have extracted that money from chris dodd, and if he wants to avoid the hit he can give up the people up the chain that supposedly told him to put in that provision. Keep going up the chain and you'll run into obama sooner or later.

On another note, I wonder if the obama nuthuggers *see* what this fool is all about yet?
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Time Served

Sen. Dodd admitted yesterday he created a loophole in order for the Arrogant Idiot Group (AIG) to recieve these bonuses on our dime. He was also the #1 candidate to recieve political campaign money last year and Obama was #2, from AIG. You can't tell me Obama had nothing to do with this. Hell AIG is in their pocket DEEP.

On another note to side bar for a minute, Obama has spent 1 billion more than the Iraq war has cost thus far, and they raped Bush on his spending. But they will just bury their heads in the sand and claim its "needed" in order to recoup the economic downfall. I got this from Glenn Beck last night.

I didnt see any mention on this, so sorry if I highjacked a post.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Lifer

two wrong dont make a right.....the first wrong was giving them the bail out and taking control, second was taxing them. Americans had to make a sacrifice to save this country, money that we desperately needed to fix out infrastructure and pay off our debt. instead these assholes take our money and blow it on bonuses.

post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
two wrong dont make a right.....the first wrong was giving them the bail out and taking control, second was taxing them. Americans had to make a sacrifice to save this country, money that we desperately needed to fix out infrastructure and pay off our debt. instead these assholes take our money and blow it on bonuses.
But...they gave those bonuses with Geithner and Dodd's full knowledge. These were "retention" bonuses, which meant those folks were given that money to stick around and fix things. I heard this morning that some of those folks had restructured some of AIG's debt, and saved billions already.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Old Timer

Not that I don't think the AIG Execs should get bonus's, but I don't believe in the fact that congress thinks it can pass a law, going back and pentalizing someone for something that was perfectly legal beforehand and changing it now to penalize them.

2006 Mustang GT
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
Not that I don't think the AIG Execs should get bonus's, but I don't believe in the fact that congress thinks it can pass a law, going back and pentalizing someone for something that was perfectly legal beforehand and changing it now to penalize them.
So you do you agree that they should get a bonus with your's and my tax dollars? Thats where they came from and Dodd wrote the loophole for it to happen. So we got screwed twice IMO. I think that should be a penalty, no bonuses until you can put yourself in the black and pay back the bail out.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Bullet Sponge

Exactly. There should be no retroactive laws. Once that precident has been set, they can do it about anything they don't want to deal with.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgs75 View Post
So you do you agree that they should get a bonus with your's and my tax dollars? Thats where they came from and Dodd wrote the loophole for it to happen. So we got screwed twice IMO. I think that should be a penalty, no bonuses until you can put yourself in the black and pay back the bail out.
No they shouldn't have gotten a bonus for running the company into the ground.

That doesn't make it right for the Senate to approve reparations against the people that got them.

How about the congressmen who approved the "bailout" get to pay the taxpayers back for the bonuses they PURPOSELY wrote into it?
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Crash Test Dummy

The house passed the bill. Now it has to pass the Senate and then eventually the Man's desk. So could we please wait and READ before we post? "Obama has thrown due process out the window"? sigh..................... We will see if our lawmaker's have came to their senses by that time is hits the senate and his desk when it comes to abusing the Gov. IRS tax system for this type of policy.

I don't agree with getting the $ back in this way, FWIW.

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgs75 View Post

They were given the bonus originally and it wasn't against the law.

Its like if Congress now writes a law stating that mortgage interest is not tax deductible and goes back 30 years and forces you to repay all that interest that you wrote off legally.

I don't like the fact that the AIG Execs are getting their bonus, but I'm more upset at Obama's team for GIVING IT TO THEM. Obama and Dodd had a meeting before they released that bill back to congress. They REMOVED the part that eliminated their bonus's.

You should be mad at Obama, not the Execs who get the bonus's. It is Obama who oked the Bonus's.

Just like Barney Frank has OKed the bonus's for Freddie and Fannie Mac, and they are up for bonus's soon and Barney wants them to get them...

Its all bullshit, but I don't like retroactive shit.

2006 Mustang GT
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 03:59 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon X View Post
The house passed the bill. Now it has to pass the Senate and then eventually the Man's desk. So could we please wait and READ before we post? "Obama has thrown due process out the window"? sigh..................... We will see if our lawmaker's have came to their senses by that time is hits the senate and his desk when it comes to abusing the Gov. IRS tax system for this type of policy.

I don't agree with getting the $ back in this way, FWIW.
I think he's pushing the cart on this one as a Dodd/Frank ass coverage move.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
your exactly right!

RON PAUL '08
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:30 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83 View Post
your exactly right!
You're (you are).

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Out

Spurred by anger over A.I.G. bonuses, the House voted 328 to 93 to levy a 90 percent tax on any company accepting more than $5 billion in bailout money.

So let me get this straight. We just gave them a truckload of money, and now their solution is to tax them so heavily that we take 90% of the money we gave themÖback. And of course, the government will spend that money somewhere else, so itís not like itís going back to the tax payers.

Itís just a circle-jerk for the govt. to spend more money and get it back for reuse. This way they say they did something about it AND have say within the company in questionís policies and procedures. This was very popular in the Union of Soviet Socialist Republic and the Socialist Republic of Yugoslavia. Look where both are today. Weíre in for a world of hurt.

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry...screwed-2009-3
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
Go over to forums.pcpitstop.com and register an acct then go to the political forums. You'll figure out REAL quick who's a lib...

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 08:01 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
On another note, I wonder if the obama nuthuggers *see* what this fool is all about yet?
I dunno man, I think a lot of people drank A TON of the Kool Aid and still are doing so. Plus, I thnk some folks will stay course just due to race.

My '03 Sold.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
I started a thread on another forum about the deficit and in the title I put, "Another Obama perk and NO he didn't inherit it. When will you apologist wake up and see him for who he is?" and here was the first post.
Quote:
Well actually most of it was "inherited".

In fact last year the CBO said that this year the deficit would be 1.2 trillion. So that would be about oh 80% of it inherited.

What I find amusing is, I have been yelling and screaming about the deficit for years and years in this forum, mostly to fall on deaf ears, but now that we have a Democrat in office, the other side suddenly wants to talk about it as if it is some new found and discovered thing

This was to be expected over the past eight years with a declining middle class, and a ever growing poor population, stagnant and declining wages, tax cuts to the wealthy there was no doubt going to be huge deficits, throw in the bailing out of huge corporations do to idiocy and lack of any kind of oversight and I don't see that there would have been any other scenario we could have been on right now.

If things work out, organized labor will grow, wages will rise, good jobs will be created, tax loop holes will be closed, and the trend of the last eight years can be reversed and we can get back to paying for things as we go, maybe, just maybe we can get back to the way things were before Bush took office, and we can start paying down our debts.

Of course as I also have been saying for years, it will take decades to get out of the hole Bush has buried us in.
In short, I guess they don't.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
All this bailout shit is a fucking fiasco. They aren't talking about fan and fred because the octowhore has all the sheeples full attention. People need to wake up and start realizing what is going on with these crooks.

Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135 View Post
Regarding the AIG bonuses. Ok, so everybody's pissed off that this company got bailout money gave massive bonuses to their execs. Now our government has decided to tax the AIG bonuses at 90%.

Forget using the civil and criminal courts. Forget due process. Forget the basic values upon which this country is founded. Just tax the hell out of the dirty-rotten SOB's who offend us and bleed 'em dry! The tax system is in place to fund the neccessary operation of the government, not so the government can award itself punitive damages.

We are treading on dangerous ground here. I haven't heard much outrage about this. But has anyone considered the ramifications of this new trend? Obama has already said he wants to force people to stop using petroleum. Obama has already made plans to tax ammunition to the point that nobody can afford to buy it. The list of things that offend Obama goes on and on.

Who will be the next victim of punitive damages via excessive taxation? Will it be gun owners? Churches that don't follow Rev Wright's doctrine? Companies who piss off the NAACP/Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson? People who don't buy into the political agenda of the president?
Actually, we're all going to be taxed 90% of our wages for reparations to the black community.

Seriously, people get pissed off at AIG for what they did, and now you're pissed off that they're being punished for it? Yeah, fuck due process when it slows progress. Due process is the reason it cost millions and millions of dollars of tax payers money for child molesters and murderers to get what they deserve.
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
No they shouldn't have gotten a bonus for running the company into the ground.

That doesn't make it right for the Senate to approve reparations against the people that got them.

How about the congressmen who approved the "bailout" get to pay the taxpayers back for the bonuses they PURPOSELY wrote into it?
I totally agree, give us, the taxpayers a bonus for using the peoples money to bail their sorry butts out of the sinkhole they step off into.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Censored

I want to know how they are going to give the money back to us? I bet they just spend it all on more social programs.

Doors Done Rite
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camino View Post
The American people will see what this new administration and the liberals in Congress are all about. The Obama agenda is about power... and not power to the people... but power to the government and a new ruling class. They construct an enemy, turn the focus of the American people on that enemy, and then push forward their radical agenda. In this case, the Obama "enemy" is the fact that AIG executives are getting paid bonuses with taxpayer-funded bailout money. Attention is being diverted to that issue and the "cure" is a new set of government powers that could be used to tax any particular person or group that the government chooses. If that doesn't make you fearful, it should!

Call it what it really is, The National Socialist Party!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement