"o" !@#$ - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

thought this was good.

To All My Valued Employees,

There have been some rumblings around the office about the future of this company, and more specifically, your job. As you know, the economy has changed for the worse and presents many challenges. However, the good news is this: The economy doesn't pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is the changing political landscape in this country.

However, let me tell you some little tidbits of fact which might help you decide what is in your best interests.

First, while it is easy to spew rhetoric that casts employers against employees, you have to understand that for every business owner there is a back story. This back story is often neglected and overshadowed by what you see and hear. Sure, you see me park my Mercedes outside. You've seen my big home at last years Christmas party. I'm sure; all these flashy icons of luxury conjure up some idealized thoughts about my life.

However, what you don't see is the back story.

I started this company 28 years ago. At that time, I lived in a 300 square foot studio apartment for 3 years. My entire living apartment was converted into an office so I could put forth 100% effort into building a company, which by the way, would eventually employ you.

My diet consisted of Ramen Pride noodles because every dollar I spent went back into this company. I drove a rusty Toyota Corolla with a defective transmission. I didn't have time to date. Often times, I stayed home on weekends, while my friends went out drinking and partying. In fact, I was married to my business -- hard work, discipline, and sacrifice.

Meanwhile, my friends got jobs. They worked 40 hours a week and made a modest $50K a year and spent every dime they earned. They drove flashy cars and lived in expensive homes and wore fancy designer clothes. Instead of hitting the Nordstrom's for the latest hot fashion item, I was trolling through the Goodwill store extracting any clothing item that didn't look like it was birthed in the 70's. My friends refinanced their mortgages and lived a life of luxury. I, however, did not. I put my time, my money, and my life into a business with a vision that eventually, some day, I too, will be able to afford these luxuries my friends supposedly had.

So, while you physically arrive at the office at 9am, mentally check in at about noon, and then leave at 5pm, I don't. There is no "off" button for me. When you leave the office, you are done and you have a weekend all to yourself. I unfortunately do not have the freedom. I eat, and breathe this company every minute of the day. There is no rest. There is no weekend. There is no happy hour. Every day this business is attached to my hip like a 1 year old special-needs child. You, of course, only see the fruits of that garden -- the nice house, the Mercedes, the vacations... You never realize the back story and the sacrifices I've made.

Now, the economy is falling apart and I, the guy that made all the right decisions and saved his money, have to bail-out all the people who didn't. The people that overspent their paychecks suddenly feel entitled to the same luxuries that I earned and sacrificed a decade of my life for.

Yes, business ownership has is benefits but the price I've paid is steep and not without wounds.

Unfortunately, the cost of running this business, and employing you, is starting to eclipse the threshold of marginal benefit and let me tell you why:

I am being taxed to death and the government thinks I don't pay enough. I have state taxes. Federal taxes. Property taxes. Sales and use taxes. Payroll taxes. Workers compensation taxes. Unemployment taxes. Taxes on taxes. I have to hire a tax man to manage all these taxes and then guess what? I have to pay taxes for employing him. Government mandates and regulations and all the accounting that goes with it, now occupy most of my time. On Oct 15th, I wrote a check to the US Treasury for $288,000 for quarterly taxes. You know what my "stimulus" check was? Zero. Nada. Zilch.

The question I have is this: Who is stimulating the economy? Me, the guy who has provided 14 people good paying jobs and serves over 2,200,000 people per year with a flourishing business? Or, the single mother sitting at home pregnant with her fourth child waiting for her next welfare check? Obviously, government feels the latter is the economic stimulus of this country.

The fact is, if I deducted (Read: Stole) 50% of your paycheck you'd quit and you wouldn't work here. I mean, why should you? That's nuts. Who wants to get rewarded only 50% of their hard work? Well, I agree which is why your job is in jeopardy.

Here is what many of you don't understand ... to stimulate the economy you need to stimulate what runs the economy. Had suddenly government mandated to me that I didn't need to pay taxes, guess what? Instead of depositing that $288,000 into the Washington black-hole, I would have spent it, hired more employees, and generated substantial economic growth. My employees would have enjoyed the wealth of that tax cut in the form of promotions and better salaries. But you can forget it now.

When you have a comatose man on the verge of death, you don't defibrillate and shock his thumb thinking that will bring him back to life, do you? Or, do you defibrillate his heart? Business is at the heart of America and always has been. To restart it, you must stimulate it, not kill it. Suddenly, the power brokers in Washington believe the poor of America are the essential drivers of the American economic engine. Nothing could be further from the truth and this is the type of change you can keep.

So where am I going with all this?
It's quite simple.

If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, my reaction will be swift and simple. I fire you. I fire your co-workers. You can then plead with the government to pay for your mortgage, your SUV, and your child's future. Frankly, it isn't my problem any more.

Then, I will close this company down, move to another country, and retire. You see, I'm done. I'm done with a country that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, will be my citizenship.

If you lose your job, it won't be at the hands of the economy; it will be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country, steamrolled the constitution, and will have changed its landscape forever. If that happens, you can find me sitting on a beach, retired, and with no employees to worry about....

Signed,
Your boss

66 coupe deville
2005 f350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Lifer

Repost
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

good reminder for idiots.

66 coupe deville
2005 f350

Last edited by subtle_68; 03-04-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: woops

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhatch View Post
Repost
x2, + nice subject line
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 AM
makin' bacon

Yup, and the original writer was a pompous, self-enduldged asshole.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:13 AM
BANNED

Did not see it before but awesome read!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Lifer

whats he bitching about? 4% higher taxes, the same tax rate he was paying just 8 years ago?
that letter did not say anything about all the bonuses he dished out over the last 8 years while he was enjoying his temporary tax cut, perhaps they were coming in year 9. or maybe he just forgot that before he started his company he attended college, likely a state school that received tax dollars and he was able to pay for his education though government grants and plans.
but you know what I think he is really pissed about, his temporary tax credit is about to expire next year, and now people in lower tax brackets (his customers) will enjoy that benefit. that means his customers are going to have more money to spend with his business, and he is going to have to work harder, maybe hire a few more people, and make a lot more money. So it appears the real problem here is having to decide what color his next Mercedes should be.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Lifer

Yeah, because poor people are the ones that stimulate economic growth. God you are a fucking moron.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:51 AM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996 View Post
whats he bitching about? 4% higher taxes, the same tax rate he was paying just 8 years ago?
that letter did not say anything about all the bonuses he dished out over the last 8 years while he was enjoying his temporary tax cut, perhaps they were coming in year 9. or maybe he just forgot that before he started his company he attended college, likely a state school that received tax dollars and he was able to pay for his education though government grants and plans.
but you know what I think he is really pissed about, his temporary tax credit is about to expire next year, and now people in lower tax brackets (his customers) will enjoy that benefit. that means his customers are going to have more money to spend with his business, and he is going to have to work harder, maybe hire a few more people, and make a lot more money. So it appears the real problem here is having to decide what color his next Mercedes should be.
You've obviously never owned a company before.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
You are so right, anyone that has owned a company large or small would know just what the man was talking about, even though it was a repost it's still a good one.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
NOT AFGHANISTAN ANYMORE!!

Not only is it a repost, it's a repost of a repost.

Dallas news reports Tony Romo tried to commit suicide last night!

Fortunately he dropped the gun and the bullet was intercepted!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I actually own 2 companies.

and we know that the natural flow of money in capitalism if from poor to rich, rather from people who are not capitalist to people who are capitalists and up the ranks.

in recent years when my taxes were lower, I did not give out bonuses or anything, that money stayed in the company.

think about it, would your company pay a slightly higher tax each year and in return each of your customer would have more money to spend with your company. thats basic capitalism applied to the tax code.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 PM
IA2

Quote:
I actually own 2 companies.

and we know that the natural flow of money in capitalism if from poor to rich, rather from people who are not capitalist to people who are capitalists and up the ranks.

in recent years when my taxes were lower, I did not give out bonuses or anything, that money stayed in the company.

think about it, would your company pay a slightly higher tax each year and in return each of your customer would have more money to spend with your company. thats basic capitalism applied to the tax code.
Higher taxes have never been a stimulus to any business. It takes away capital that is needed for multiple purposes. Businesses already pay a shitload of taxes, and any tax increase is unwelcome. And like the guy said businesses will staff down if they need to to pay that tax. Why? Because in most small businesses there isn't enough money to do all of the things that are needed, so small businessmen make do. Makes sense to me that if his employees vote in obama they are also voting in tax increases on small businesses, and he has a plan to deal with that. Bye bye job(s), or vote for the other guy.

I'd rather have the certainty of a tax cut rather than the hope that customers with a few more bucks in their pockets might choose to do business with me.

Also, obama with his mandatory spending ideas is going to learn a lesson about business. The new cobra deal where the employer has to pay for cobra for someone that they just fired? The outcome will be no employer supplied insurance, and perhaps a stipend so that the individual can buy it. It's called the rule of unintended consequences.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Higher taxes have never been a stimulus to any business. It takes away capital that is needed for multiple purposes. Businesses already pay a shitload of taxes, and any tax increase is unwelcome. And like the guy said businesses will staff down if they need to to pay that tax. Why? Because in most small businesses there isn't enough money to do all of the things that are needed, so small businessmen make do. Makes sense to me that if his employees vote in obama they are also voting in tax increases on small businesses, and he has a plan to deal with that. Bye bye job(s), or vote for the other guy.

I'd rather have the certainty of a tax cut rather than the hope that customers with a few more bucks in their pockets might choose to do business with me.

Also, obama with his mandatory spending ideas is going to learn a lesson about business. The new cobra deal where the employer has to pay for cobra for someone that they just fired? The outcome will be no employer supplied insurance, and perhaps a stipend so that the individual can buy it. It's called the rule of unintended consequences.
first off this is not a tax increase, these are temporary tax cuts that are expiring.
the idea behind these tax cuts was that the savings would trickle down putting more cash in the hands of people in lower classes with the aim to increase consumer spending. This did not happen, we actually had less consumer spending.

your small business will cease to be a business if your customers have no money to spend. and no amount of tax cuts will save your business if your customers do not have and cash to spend.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
IA2

Quote:
first off this is not a tax increase, these are temporary tax cuts that are expiring.
You are arguing semantics. Business owners will be paying more taxes, so it is in effect a tax increase.

Quote:
the idea behind these tax cuts was that the savings would trickle down putting more cash in the hands of people in lower classes with the aim to increase consumer spending. This did not happen, we actually had less consumer spending.
Really?

http://taxesandgrowth.ncpa.org/news/...x-cuts-working

I will agree that toward the end of W's presidency consumer spending fell, but this was the beginning of the recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996
your small business will cease to be a business if your customers have no money to spend. and no amount of tax cuts will save your business if your customers do not have and cash to spend.
I agree with this, which is why tax increases are evil things that reduce people's ability to buy, and businesses ability to expand and grow.

Last edited by mikeb; 03-05-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement