Questions for active duty army... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Questions for active duty army...

Im signing up, well going through all the bs MEPS and what have you.
have to do a recheck at meps for BP on the 7th and hopefully swear in.

I scored an 81 on my asvab and on the break down my GT was a 121, Im intrested in WO training but everyone tells me i can and that if you hit WO training right out of boot camp i might regret it, (due too alot ppl frown on it because i wouldnt have any exp) plus the MOS i chose was 68w PA for the most part, and im told they dont have a WO specificly for that field (is this true)? Im just wondering if theirs anyone on here thats in that MOS or knows a good deal about it. (just wanting alittle info any would be helpful although i know this is kinda vague).
Thanks in advance for any that can give me some good insite to this as my contract can still be changed and i just dont wanna just in and regret something i could have changed instead of waiting to relist to do that.

Thanks to all who have served to protect us all.

6.87 @100.08MPH in the 1/8
Getting quicker everytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 PM

OK..I am not bashing you by any means but I am a little confused with your post and what you are asking. I am a 25U (commo) so not to experienced on the MOS of 68W (guessing mechanic light wheel).

Go to basic training, AIT, and permanent duty station.

Once you make E-5 put in your packet to go to WOC (warrant officer candidate) school. You make more money (as a warrant) if you are an enlisted NCO and your chances are better to become a Warrant Officer, besides you need to make a name for yourself because you have to have letters of recommendations to make warrant.

PM me because once again I am lost at your lack of punctuation and am not sure what you are asking. Or it could be the 6 pack I have drank.... lol!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Here is a list of the WO jobs. It also shows the Enlisted feeder MOSes.

There isn't one listed for 68W. (health care technician/combat medic)
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blwarrantmenu.htm

This is the US Army's page for Warrant Office recruitment..
http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.htm

BTW, I went to Ft. Rucker to attend UH1H maintenance. That is where they have the Warrant Officer school. Let me tell you in advance, they treat WOCs (Warrant Office Candidates) like shit during their training. It makes Basic Training look like a fuckin' cake walk.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:46 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

And here are the requirements.
http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warran...ST%20Locations

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSVTMan View Post
OK..I am not bashing you by any means but I am a little confused with your post and what you are asking. I am a 25U (commo) so not to experienced on the MOS of 68W (guessing mechanic light wheel).

Go to basic training, AIT, and permanent duty station.

Once you make E-5 put in your packet to go to WOC (warrant officer candidate) school. You make more money (as a warrant) if you are an enlisted NCO and your chances are better to become a Warrant Officer, besides you need to make a name for yourself because you have to have letters of recommendations to make warrant.

PM me because once again I am lost at your lack of punctuation and am not sure what you are asking. Or it could be the 6 pack I have drank.... lol!
Its cool man. 68w is Heath care spec. Sorry about the punctuation I have a wicked ass stomach virus staying real close to the bathroom i was typing as fast as possiable.

I've asked the recruiter if i could get my duty station in my contract and hes told me you can't but ive been told i can by afew ppl, is this true? Im shooting for Fort Hood, ive been told my chances of getting there are good (by the recruiter) figured hes just blowing smoke but just curious. Also i was told during basic i will make a "wish list" on where id like to be stationed, Also is this true?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
Thx for the info man, this website has answered all my questions on WO.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Stanger View Post
Thx for the info man, this website has answered all my questions on WO.
Anytime future troop.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:23 AM

Medic!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Its cool man. 68w is Heath care spec. Sorry about the punctuation I have a wicked ass stomach virus staying real close to the bathroom i was typing as fast as possiable.

I've asked the recruiter if i could get my duty station in my contract and hes told me you can't but ive been told i can by afew ppl, is this true? Im shooting for Fort Hood, ive been told my chances of getting there are good (by the recruiter) figured hes just blowing smoke but just curious. Also i was told during basic i will make a "wish list" on where id like to be stationed, Also is this true?
Why hood? Just to stay local? Fuck that. There are way cooler spots on the map than Hood. That's like being from Tulsa, and requesting Ft. Sill. FAIL!

Give me a dollar.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Yea Ft Hood sucks ass.

Go see the world. I got to go to Japan on my very first assignment. That was the greatest.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Wow I didn't know fort hood sucked. That's the only base I've been on. What are some of the better ones I should check into around the us?
To be honest I hate all this waiting to sign and ship out I just wanna get basic out of the way.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
not exclude

Ft. Lewis, Ft. Sam Houston, Ft. Bragg are all decent ones I've been to, imo
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Lifer

FUCK HOOD...............

GET OUT OF THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go to europe, Korea, Go any where but the USA. Your getting a free ride to travel and work. When you finish the military, then you can homestead in texas, if you wish.

Of my 9 years i did 4 in Korea.From there i traveled to Philippines, Japan, Thailand, Qatar, AFgan, had a chance for Austrailia............ GTFO of the USA. i had a blast.

One recommendation, is if your up to it........ Try to get in a spec ops community....... MUCH better than the regular army.

85 SVO 2.7t coming soon
Old 438whp 1/8th??
Older 375whp [email protected]

We will never forget you WILD 42!
Friends I've Lost

Even if you make something dummy-proof, the world makes a better dummy.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Wow I didn't know fort hood sucked. That's the only base I've been on. What are some of the better ones I should check into around the us?
To be honest I hate all this waiting to sign and ship out I just wanna get basic out of the way.

The Best Army assignments are in Japan and Italy. PERIOD. If you get an assignment to Camp Zama, Japan you had better kiss God's ass for the rest of your life because you just won the Lottery. There are other Army bases around Zama that are just as good. Okinawa is also very good, just not quite as good a Zama IMO. But you do get some excellent beaches to hang out on..

After that, most of Europe is considered pretty good.

Korea is Ok... unless you are anywhere near the DMZ. Then your life sucks ass.

Hawaii is considered an overseas assignment. The area is really nice but PT consists of running up and down volcanoes. Fuck that.

I've heard many times that Alaska is a pretty kick ass assignment, except it gets cold. Alaska is also considered an overseas assignment..

You do NOT want the Sinai in Egypt. A totally fucked up area surrounded by minefields.

Stateside, I think anything around Washington DC is pretty damn good. Especially Ft. Belvoir.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

A little story...

When you get to Basic Training, you will be given a card to fill out. One section is your "wish list" for future assignments. You have to give TWO overseas requests and one stateside. Stateside is anything in the lower 48 states.

When I did this, I had some fucked up logic. I figured I would like to go to Ft. Polk, LA because it was very close to home for me. I knew in advance that Ft. Polk was a shit hole but that was ok to me since I was planning to drive home on the weekends..

So I put down Polk as my stateside assignment with Italy and Japan as my overseas choices. I chose those because I KNEW they were cherry assignments. I just KNEW that there was absolfuckilutely no way I was going to get sent to Italy or Japan.

So I finish basic and go on to AIT in Ft. Rucker, AL. During my last two weeks, the Drill Sgt handed over my orders and told me to report to the Doc for my shots. He yelled out in front of the whole Company "Go to the Doc, Get your Shots, your going to KOREA!" My first thought was FUCK!

So I slowly sulked down to the Doc to get my shots. While there the Doc asked me where I was heading to. I handed him my orders and said that it didn't have anything on it but an APO (military equivalent to a Zip Code). I told him what the Drill Sgt had said about Korea. So he did me a favor and looked up the APO number. He then said, "Son, you ain't goin' to Korea. You've won the fuckin' lottery. You're going to JAPAN!"

I might have sulked my way down to the Doc, but I swear I floated back to barracks.

Drill Sgt GILL (aka "The Gillavator") came out and asked me exactly where I was going. I just stood up at parade rest, smiled and said, "Camp Zama, Japan". I swear to God his face turned 3 shades of red. You see, Drill Sgt Gill had been in the Army for over 20 years. Japan had always been on his wish list but he never got to go. Then here comes this snot nosed kid that gets that assignment on the first shot. Needless to say, there were push-ups in my immediate future.

It was all in good fun though. I didn't mind at all. Hell, I was laughing through most of it. Then the Senior Drill Sgt (I shit you not... his name is Drill Sgt BATTLE!). He comes in and asks me why I'm pushing floor tiles. Drill Sgt Gill tells me to inform the Sr. Drill where my 1st assignment was going to be. After informing him, he said, "well just keep on pushin"

I spent two years in Japan. I met my wife there. One helluva a fuckin' great place to live. We're planning to go back this spring to visit the In laws. We might be back in time for the cherry blossom festival...

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:13 PM

Japan and Italy are damn near impossible to get though, and yes Fort Hood sucks ass. Funny seeing how I live there / here.

I would shoot for Fort Sam or any TRADOC post would be good IMO. Oh Fort Carson was pretty cool also though.

You can get your duty station in your contract, depending that the post / unit has a opening for your MOS.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSVTMan View Post
Japan and Italy are damn near impossible to get though, and yes Fort Hood sucks ass. Funny seeing how I live there / here.

I would shoot for Fort Sam or any TRADOC post would be good IMO. Oh Fort Carson was pretty cool also though.

You can get your duty station in your contract, depending that the post / unit has a opening for your MOS.
He speaks the truth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement