Obama regime back-peddling on comment made about nationalizing American banks - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
makin' bacon

Obama regime back-peddling on comment made about nationalizing American banks

Quote:
The federal government is in talks to beef up its ownership stake in Citigroup to as much as 40 percent of the company's common stock, the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday—just days after the Obama administration said it didn't want to nationalize America's largest banks.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/19165

EDIT: for those that don't know, a rumor of this happening is what sent stocks sliding last Friday, get ready to see the market's downward spiral today.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Lifer

i predict alot of back-peddling in the near future.....

RON PAUL '08
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 AM
Old Timer

What Barry doesn't want to be known as Stalin... The bringer of Communism to America which is what he's doing.

2006 Mustang GT

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

"just days after the Obama administration said it didn't want to nationalize America's largest banks. "

Sometimes in life you have to do things you don't want to.

I don't want to have open heart surgery but if it will save my life one day I am open to the idea.

"Citigroup proposed the move to regulators, the Journal reported"

Sounds like they are getting worried.

The right thing to do is let the bank fail, but the problem is if they do then the taxpayers get stuck paying more in the end due to the fdic insurance.
Also by doing so would raise panic and people would start making bank runs creating even more problems.

The other option is a buyout but is there a bank out there that is even interested and better yet why would they want to decrease their capital and increase their operating expenses during these rough times.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Lifer

I hear the House is pushing another $410 BILLION "spending package". Justification includes quotes like,"We need to make up for all the spending cuts Bush took from these programs."

They're saying it's an earmarked sonofabitch.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:10 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
I hear the House is pushing another $410 BILLION "spending package". Justification includes quotes like,"We need to make up for all the spending cuts Bush took from these programs."

They're saying it's an earmarked sonofabitch.

What was positive about bush cutting education funding in 2008 ?
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet View Post
Public education is a lost cause...sorry. They need to burn the system down, and start over. More money spent on education has NEVER shown positive results. There a ton of other programs that got cuts, but is "education" your best argument?f so, that's pretty bad...

post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Public education is dog shit. It won't improve until they get the agendas out of the classroom and eliminate the NEA.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Public education is dog shit. It won't improve until they get the agendas out of the classroom and eliminate the NEA.

And the federal pell grants ?

And the federal perkins loans for college that were cut ?

Agendas ?

Hell all school is now for most is a free daycare, and they aren't even allowed to bust that ass anymore.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
Public education is a lost cause...sorry. They need to burn the system down, and start over. More money spent on education has NEVER shown positive results. There a ton of other programs that got cuts, but is "education" your best argument?f so, that's pretty bad...

My main problem is those who got excluded due to the perkins loan cuts over Bush's term.
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Lifer

If a kid really wants to go to school, there are endless options. After getting one through school, and another halfway, I honestly don't feel compassion for "poor kids who want to go to school". My kids' superior test scores and class ranks were overlooked for lesser students that wanted to got to school. Scholarships and grants are aplenty for poor minorities. I should not be paying for someone elses college education. It's not a "right", it's a priviledge.

post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:20 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
If a kid really wants to go to school, there are endless options. After getting one through school, and another halfway, I honestly don't feel compassion for "poor kids who want to go to school". My kids' superior test scores and class ranks were overlooked for lesser students that wanted to got to school. Scholarships and grants are aplenty for poor minorities. I should not be paying for someone elses college education. It's not a "right", it's a priviledge.

I really doubt your kids fall into the category of poor kids.

So cut the grants, but don't cut the loans that way they can at least get a loan.

I'd rather give a kid a pell grant any day for 4 or 5 years and give them a chance to better themselves than have to pay wic, hud, lonestar, or welfare to them for a lifetime.
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I really doubt your kids fall into the category of poor kids.

So cut the grants, but don't cut the loans that way they can at least get a loan.

I'd rather give a kid a pell grant any day for 4 or 5 years and give them a chance to better themselves than have to pay wic, hud, lonestar, or welfare to them for a lifetime.
My kids are not poor, but why should I pay for a poor kid to go to college, when I can barely afford my own?

post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Scholarships and grants are aplenty for poor minorities. I should not be paying for someone elses college education. It's not a "right", it's a priviledge.
Isn't that the truth? I'm lucky to be in a position where my education is paid for anyway, but I've got several friends that aren't so lucky and they don't qualify for things like FASFA because their parents make "too much" money, regardless of the fact that they're not paying for their child's education.

Apparently, a household bringing in $80k/year should be able to afford to spend $40k/year to send their child to college (I kid you not, these are the numbers that FASFA spit out to a friend of mine). It's ridiculous.

post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:34 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
My kids are not poor, but why should I pay for a poor kid to go to college, when I can barely afford my own?

Perkins loans are repaid by the borrower, not you.

If you really want to argue, then you can gripe about the small amount of interest that the govt technically pays on the loan over the 4 or 5 years, but it is actually a good investment as the loan is repaid at 5 % interest after graduation over a period of 10 years. So why not give loans that at least produce income for the govt versus hand out grants ?
post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Perkins loans are repaid by the borrower, not you.

If you really want to argue, then you can gripe about the small amount of interest that the govt technically pays on the loan over the 4 or 5 years, but it is actually a good investment as the loan is repaid at 5 % interest after graduation over a period of 10 years. So why not give loans that at least produce income for the govt versus hand out grants ?
I'm talking about grants, not loans. I DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR SOMEONE ELSES KID TO GO TO COLLEGE.

post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
Isn't that the truth? I'm lucky to be in a position where my education is paid for anyway, but I've got several friends that aren't so lucky and they don't qualify for things like FASFA because their parents make "too much" money, regardless of the fact that they're not paying for their child's education.

Apparently, a household bringing in $80k/year should be able to afford to spend $40k/year to send their child to college (I kid you not, these are the numbers that FASFA spit out to a friend of mine). It's ridiculous.

The whole EFC fomula is a joke. I have seen some strange results from their "majic" formulas.

On a side note, where are they paying 40k tuition annually at ?

Ivy league ?
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
The whole EFC fomula is a joke. I have seen some strange results from their "majic" formulas.

Ivy league ?
UPenn.

post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
I'm talking about grants, not loans. I DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR SOMEONE ELSES KID TO GO TO COLLEGE.

and I stated in the beginning

Quote:
My main problem is those who got excluded due to the perkins loan cuts over Bush's term.

So you would rather your tax money pay welfare for a lifetime than tuition for 4 or 5 years so someone could become a productive higher tax rate paying citizen ?
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:

So you would rather your tax money pay welfare for a lifetime than tuition for 4 or 5 years so someone could become a productive higher tax rate paying citizen ?
That's not my responsibility, and it doesn't work. We're talking a VERY small percentage of folks who REALLY want to go to school, and can't find some way to do it.

post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Ivy league ?
You've been out of the loop too long. $40k a year all inclusive, is not a stretch at all.

post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Old school 4-eye'd

Quote:

That is quite a jump. I seriously doubt that a person who has the ABILITY to attend college will be on welfare if they cant afford to pay out of pocket.

It is the dropouts and knocked up minors who are destined for food stamps.

post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
That is quite a jump. I seriously doubt that a person who has the ABILITY to attend college will be on welfare if they cant afford to pay out of pocket.

I'm here to tell you right now, if a minority from DISD can meet requirements to get into UT (or just have the desire), they will get in. I promise...

post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:

So you are saying you can't be 18, smart and dirt poor ?

So you want them to stay in the hood, pop out some kids and get on the handout wagon ?

Or better yet they could end up in prison costing taxpayers 20k a year.
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
I'm here to tell you right now, if a minority from DISD can meet requirements to get into UT (or just have the desire), they will get in. I promise...

And if they are poor, WHITE, and non athletic ?

There are far more WHITE kids at UT on grant money than minorities.
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Old school 4-eye'd

Quote:

So you want them to stay in the hood, pop out some kids and get on the handout wagon ?

Or better yet they could end up in prison costing taxpayers 20k a year.
Never said anything of the like.

You are reading into it and twisting it up in your mind. You can be dirt poor and briliant. You can also be dirt poor, get student loans, work part time, and get an education.

post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
You've been out of the loop too long. $40k a year all inclusive, is not a stretch at all.

All inclusive ?

We are talking education, not mommy and daddy are going to support me while I party and have fun on their tab.

If you are paying 40k a year at TU then someone is cooking the books.
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
Never said anything of the like.

You are reading into it and twisting it up in your mind. You can be dirt poor and briliant. You can also be dirt poor, get student loans, work part time, and get an education.

I agree.

And you can also be one of the 1000's that got excluded from perkins student loans under bush's cuts.
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
I know you can't be 18, smart and dirt poor mainly because you can't be 18 and be smart.

post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Is this better ?

Quote:
So you are saying you can't be 18, sat qualified and dirt poor ?
post #31 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Old school 4-eye'd

Quote:
I agree.

And you can also be one of the 1000's that got excluded from perkins student loans under bush's cuts.
That whole system is screwed beyond reason. I couldnt get a grant nor government backed loans because my dad's ex wife made too much $ the year before I went. I was technically independent, but you cant file for independent status untill you get enrolled first. I had to come out of pocket $3k for the first semester, at 18, fresh out of highschool. I moved out of my parent's house at 16, and rented a room in order to finish highschool. My dad was devorced before I started my senior year.

post #32 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
That whole system is screwed beyond reason. I couldnt get a grant nor government backed loans because my dad's ex wife made too much $ the year before I went. I was technically independent, but you cant file for independent status untill you get enrolled first. I had to come out of pocket $3k for the first semester, at 18, fresh out of highschool. I moved out of my parent's house at 16, and rented a room in order to finish highschool. My dad was devorced before I started my senior year.

To me they should do away with grants all together and just offer loans regardless on your parents income. Set some basic limits on the loan depending on the school attended. No majic formulas, no EFC, just how much do you want to borrow and pay back at 5% interest starting 6 months after you graduate.
post #33 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Lifer

Quote:
All inclusive ?

We are talking education, not mommy and daddy are going to support me while I party and have fun on their tab.

If you are paying 40k a year at TU then someone is cooking the books.
I didn't say that. Do you have a kid at UT? Southwestern @ Georgetown? Hell, UD? Please stick to shit you know about....which apparently, is limited. Tuition, books, fee's, rent, groceries, etc. at McCombs is expensive. $40k? No, but it's more than most imagine.

post #34 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
And if they are poor, WHITE, and non athletic ?

There are far more WHITE kids at UT on grant money than minorities.
I challenge you right there. Prove it.

post #35 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
makin' bacon

Quote:
Sometimes in life you have to do things you don't want to.
Best socialistic liberal response ever!

You make me fucking sick.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #36 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:
I didn't say that. Do you have a kid at UT? Southwestern @ Georgetown? Hell, UD? Please stick to shit you know about....which apparently, is limited. Tuition, books, fee's, rent, groceries, etc. at McCombs is expensive. $40k? No, but it's more than most imagine.

rent, groceries, etc

It's called the student getting a part time job to learn real life lessons of time management, balance and responsibility.
post #37 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Worship me

Quote:
rent, groceries, etc

It's called the student getting a part time job to learn real life lessons of time management, balance and responsibility.
Lay that smokescreen, pedal faster.
post #38 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Lifer

Quote:
rent, groceries, etc

No...it's really not. A 15 hour load at a top school IS a full time job. Her GPA and rank, is what will get her a nice job. You can agree to disagree, but that's how it is. As a parent, it is pertinent that she does her best at school (a very tough school) so that after she's done, there are no excuses. My wife and I both came from very "meager" means, and had no help at all with anything.

post #39 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Lay that smokescreen, pedal faster.
He doesn't have a clue. A liberal union guy, that's telling me how to raise my kid...

post #40 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:50 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

You right wing bigots are a trip.

Open those closed minds and get the party back on track instead of crying like babies.
post #41 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Worship me

Quote:
No...it's really not. A 15 hour load at a top school IS a full time job. Her GPA and rank, is what will get her a nice job. You can agree to disagree, but that's how it is. As a parent, it is pertinent that she does her best at school (a very tough school) so that after she's done, there are no excuses. My wife and I both came from very "meager" means, and had no help at all with anything.
He'll just try to say that he was talking about "just tuition" and that evidently your daughter is partying it up on your dime. Amusing.
post #42 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Open those closed minds and get the party back on track instead of crying like babies.
<----- oldest of 3, raised by a single mom and spent most of my youth in subsidized housing. Peddle that bullshit somewhere else...

post #43 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Worship me

Quote:

And the defeat is complete. He's resorted to just name calling. Go hide under your mom's bed.
post #44 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
makin' bacon

Quote:

Kid, shut the fuck up. You have no fucking clue about the real world.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #45 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Worship me

Quote:
<----- oldest of 3, raised by a single mom and spent most of my youth in subsidized housing. Peddle that bullshit somewhere else...
Middle of 3, single mom. Educated myself on student loans which I paid off years ago. Its funny how people who make something of themselves turn out to be "right wing bigots".
post #46 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:

And ?

Do you have a son in college ?
post #47 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Quote:

So why do you hate the system that actually helped you at one time ?
post #48 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Worship me

Quote:
So why do you hate the system that actually helped you at one time ?
As we know, all "right wing bigots" hate any sort of assistance program. For anyone.
post #49 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 AM
NEOCON EDUCATOR

Keep whining stevo, making obama will hear you.
post #50 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Lifer

I love how Obama winning the office has now given the liberal idiots carte blanche to call conservatives "crying bigots."

Fuck you, kid. You know NOTHING about "making it" or "real life" so when your momma is done cleaning your ass and rubbing powder on your butt, come back and join the men's conversation. Listen and you might learn something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement