Jindal to refuse some stimulus money - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Jindal to refuse some stimulus money

Way to go Bobby!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/19092

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal announced Friday that he will decline stimulus money specifically targeted at expanding state unemployment insurance coverage, becoming the first state executive to officially refuse any part of the federal government’s payout to states.

In a statement, Jindal, who is slated to give the Republican response to President Barack Obama’s message to Congress on Tuesday, expressed concern that expanding unemployment insurance coverage would lead to increased unemployment insurance taxes later on.

“The federal money in this bill will run out in less than three years for this benefit and our businesses would then be stuck paying the bill,” Jindal said. “We must be careful and thoughtful as we examine all the strings attached to the funding in this package. We cannot grow government in an unsustainable way.”

Jindal is one of a small group of Republican governors, which includes South Carolina’s Mark Sanford and Mississippi’s Haley Barbour, who have said they might refuse some or all of the stimulus money targeted to their states.

In an interview Friday, Barbour said he, too, would likely decline funds for broadening access to unemployment insurance.

“Subject to learning more, my position is that Mississippi won’t accept funds that require us to have a tax increase later, because [they would force] us to change our rules for qualifying for unemployment compensation,” he said.

It is not clear which, if any, other parts of the stimulus funding Republican governors will decline. But initial suggestions that anti-stimulus governors might decline all the funds targeted for their states have faded.

Joel Sawyer, Sanford’s communications director, said the South Carolina governor was still reviewing his options with respect to the stimulus.

“We haven’t made any decisions on any part of the stimulus yet,” Sawyer said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281_99-0135 View Post
Way to go Bobby!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/19092

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal announced Friday that he will decline stimulus money specifically targeted at expanding state unemployment insurance coverage, becoming the first state executive to officially refuse any part of the federal government’s payout to states.

In a statement, Jindal, who is slated to give the Republican response to President Barack Obama’s message to Congress on Tuesday, expressed concern that expanding unemployment insurance coverage would lead to increased unemployment insurance taxes later on.

“The federal money in this bill will run out in less than three years for this benefit and our businesses would then be stuck paying the bill,” Jindal said. “We must be careful and thoughtful as we examine all the strings attached to the funding in this package. We cannot grow government in an unsustainable way.”

Jindal is one of a small group of Republican governors, which includes South Carolina’s Mark Sanford and Mississippi’s Haley Barbour, who have said they might refuse some or all of the stimulus money targeted to their states.

In an interview Friday, Barbour said he, too, would likely decline funds for broadening access to unemployment insurance.

“Subject to learning more, my position is that Mississippi won’t accept funds that require us to have a tax increase later, because [they would force] us to change our rules for qualifying for unemployment compensation,” he said.

It is not clear which, if any, other parts of the stimulus funding Republican governors will decline. But initial suggestions that anti-stimulus governors might decline all the funds targeted for their states have faded.

Joel Sawyer, Sanford’s communications director, said the South Carolina governor was still reviewing his options with respect to the stimulus.

“We haven’t made any decisions on any part of the stimulus yet,” Sawyer said.
We need about 49 more just like him...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

He should have been the GOP's candidate instead of the Maverick. At least McCain won't be taking any votes from conservatives in 2012.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
He should have been the GOP's candidate instead of the Maverick. At least McCain won't be taking any votes from conservatives in 2012.
I would like him to finish fixing my home state first. Maybe I'll be able to retire there someday.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
I would like him to finish fixing my home state first. Maybe I'll be able to retire there someday.
x2. There's a reason I don't live there now, and it has nothing to do with the food or scenery. Hell, there are a TON of hot women down there, but how will I provide for my future ex-wives, if I can't get a job?

Give me a dollar.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Out

Quote:
The GOP wouldn't put him in there this time around because they knew a Dem was getting in no matter what. Why do you think the pulled Romney out so early? I'm still prayin' for Keyes. I do like me some Jindal, though.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:01 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
The GOP wouldn't put him in there this time around because they knew a Dem was getting in no matter what. Why do you think the pulled Romney out so early? I'm still prayin' for Keyes. I do like me some Jindal, though.
The GOP's love affair with Keyes is over. He was one of the few that called out McCain for his liberal views and they shunned him for it. He of course was correct in his assessment but the timing was bad. I like the guy but he'll never have a chance of being POTUS. Seriously, he fell for a Borat interview. That and I can't really support anyone that thinks we owe any type of slavery reparations. In my book that's just as bad as supporting unconditional abortions, gay marriage and gun control.

Huckabee, Jindal and Michael Steele are my favorite Republicans right now. Throw together a ticket with any of them them involved and I'll be voting for it. There is no corruption to speak of with any of them and they all share the basic core conservative beliefs, something McCain and even Bush in his last term had problems with.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:06 AM
Factory Issue

I like Jindal and Steele, but Huckabee is a panty-waist.

Give me a dollar.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:10 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I like Jindal and Steele, but Huckabee is a panty-waist.
He's a creationist, that's all I can really fault the guy on. Then again he's a hardcore Southern Baptist and believes what he preaches. He'd make a great counterpart to Joe Biden, they could have a gaffe off.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Lifer

I like Huckabee, but not as POTUS.

One theory about all this money going to states, is that you might as well take it, because it's going somewhere anyway. We wind up paying for roads in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, but get no benefit here in Texas. I think that's Rick Perry's view on it.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Out

Quote:
The GOP's love affair with Keyes is over. He was one of the few that called out McCain for his liberal views and they shunned him for it. He of course was correct in his assessment but the timing was bad. I like the guy but he'll never have a chance of being POTUS. Seriously, he fell for a Borat interview. That and I can't really support anyone that thinks we owe any type of slavery reparations. In my book that's just as bad as supporting unconditional abortions, gay marriage and gun control.

Huckabee, Jindal and Michael Steele are my favorite Republicans right now. Throw together a ticket with any of them them involved and I'll be voting for it. There is no corruption to speak of with any of them and they all share the basic core conservative beliefs, something McCain and even Bush in his last term had problems with.
If the reparations is your only gripe on the guy, you should be OK since NOTHING will ever be done about it. He wouldn't even try to follow through with any actions on it anyway. Honestly, I think he's backed out of that stance for some time now too. I didn't hear about the Borat interview. Catch me up on that.

Just going off of policies and stances on issues, he's the closest thing I can see to Reagan. That, and he tore Obama a new asshole in a debate that'll go down in my books as a top-five ass whoopin'. I don't have access to youtube here, but I know it's on there. Great entertainment.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Out

Quote:
He's a creationist, that's all I can really fault the guy on. Then again he's a hardcore Southern Baptist and believes what he preaches. He'd make a great counterpart to Joe Biden, they could have a gaffe off.
I can see the guy freezing in a dire moment. I don't have anything to base that claim (if you're wondering) but it's just what I feel.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:13 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
If the reparations is your only gripe on the guy, you should be OK since NOTHING will ever be done about it. He wouldn't even try to follow through with any actions on it anyway. Honestly, I think he's backed out of that stance for some time now too. I didn't hear about the Borat interview. Catch me up on that.

Watch Borat's movie, he's the "genuine chocolate face" that he interviews. It's in the same segment that Bob Barr eats breast milk cheese.

Keyes can think what he wants but you can't just come out and call the current president a radical communist and expect to win an election.

"Obama is a radical communist and I think it is becoming clear. That is what I told people in Illinois and now everybody realizes it is coming true. He is going to destroy this country and we are either going to stop him or the United States of America is going to cease to exist," said Keyes. http://new.khastv.com/videoplaylist.php?playid=16300

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Clown

I like Bobby Jindal. The key for him to be a force in 2012 will be for oil prices to come up so that he can take care of things in Louisiana.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Bullet Sponge

Meanwhile, California is saying "Yeah, those states that don't want the welfare, we'll take it." I hate that state
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
Meanwhile, California is saying "Yeah, those states that don't want the welfare, we'll take it." I hate that state
I saw that as well. They are the epitome of a welfare state.

I hope they go bankrupt, and have to live in the real world for a change.

Last edited by sc281_99-0135; 02-21-2009 at 05:29 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Lifer

Way better than our last gov, what a stupid bitch!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Bullet Sponge

They should seal off California like on Escape from LA
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Out

Quote:
Watch Borat's movie, he's the "genuine chocolate face" that he interviews. It's in the same segment that Bob Barr eats breast milk cheese.

Keyes can think what he wants but you can't just come out and call the current president a radical communist and expect to win an election.

"Obama is a radical communist and I think it is becoming clear. That is what I told people in Illinois and now everybody realizes it is coming true. He is going to destroy this country and we are either going to stop him or the United States of America is going to cease to exist," said Keyes. http://new.khastv.com/videoplaylist.php?playid=16300
Why not? Policies and stances should speak for themselves. I wouldn't mind a President who can call a duck, a duck.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:10 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Let Keyes run in 2012. Leave Bobby J be.

The Coonasses have spoken

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement