Oil poised for another dramatic drop? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Oil poised for another dramatic drop?

I've been watching oil prices and futures, and here is what I see.

Oil traders have been hoarding oil because the future price of it is higher than what they can get for it today ("contango"). However, those higher futures are about to expire, and the futures following the high ones are lower, so some of that oil is going to come to market. And of course there are all of those tankers floating around out on the ocean storing oil, and cushing, ok (oil trading hub) is literally afloat with oil. Since gas demand is down the US has steadily been building an inventory of oil, and I suspect this will continue until the US economy picks back up. The oil production cuts in the middle east have done nothing.

So.... are we about to see oil take a dramatic price drop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Dont know how much more dramatic it can get... $34/bbl is already VERY low. Damn OPEC can keep cutting and I dont see the price going up...but I dont see any drastic drop in price. Damn gasoline needs to be at $.99/gal where it should be with $34/bbl

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

I hope not. I know drillers are taking a bath right now.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
I hope not. I know drillers are taking a bath right now.
taking a bath or not making as much money, but still making it? I find it funny when a company doesnt make projected profits and calls it a loss. They still pull through with a profit...but they call it a loss and the stock market goes down even more.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
taking a bath or not making as much money, but still making it? I find it funny when a company doesnt make projected profits and calls it a loss. They still pull through with a profit...but they call it a loss and the stock market goes down even more.
layoffs. When the number of working rigs is cut in half - that's not good.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Lifer

What has become of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Lifer

I really don't understand why gasoline has gone up 30% in the last two weeks. But it's still cheap I guess.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Time Served

Quote:
layoffs. When the number of working rigs is cut in half - that's not good.
All ready happening, I work offshore with a drilling company as there Safety Officer, HLO, and Medic. Fortunately the company I work for has not had to do any as far as I know. But, coming back to the Helipad this last hitch I noticed a drastic drop of cars in the parking lot.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm over it!

Dont get me started on this subject. I see layoffs coming up real quick here. Everyone in this field is hurting right now.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxstangman View Post
All ready happening, I work offshore with a drilling company as there Safety Officer, HLO, and Medic. Fortunately the company I work for has not had to do any as far as I know. But, coming back to the Helipad this last hitch I noticed a drastic drop of cars in the parking lot.
Having oil workers layed off is much better than the whole country gettings raped by high oil prices and sending a large chunk of our money overseas.

-Herb-
03 Torch Red Mach 1
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:02 PM
BANNED

Why has gas been rising the last month or so?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinson View Post
Dont get me started on this subject. I see layoffs coming up real quick here. Everyone in this field is hurting right now.
Everyone in the whole damn country is hurting why should we save oil when oil screwed us all of the past cpl of yrs?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangguy289 View Post
Everyone in the whole damn country is hurting why should we save oil when oil screwed us all of the past cpl of yrs?
Oil didnt screw you the economy screwed you LOL. Hate to break it to you but this is a essential that we need on a day to day basis.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Oil didnt screw you the economy screwed you LOL. Hate to break it to you but this is a essential that we need on a day to day basis.
So is money. Which is part of the reason the economy is so bad.

A lot of people said hmmm do i put gas in my care to go to work or pay all the bills. Along with giving up buying extras that they could no longer afford. This put many companies out of business. I know we need oil day to day. They screwed themselves when they allowed it to get so high.

Everyone has to fend for themselves right now. Even myself at my job. If it weren't for commodities coming down we would have been shut down by now. We were able to save enough due to commodities coming down to keep jobs around here.

Its a losing situation for a lot of poeple oil workers included.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
I've been watching oil prices and futures, and here is what I see.

Oil traders have been hoarding oil because the future price of it is higher than what they can get for it today ("contango"). However, those higher futures are about to expire, and the futures following the high ones are lower, so some of that oil is going to come to market. And of course there are all of those tankers floating around out on the ocean storing oil, and cushing, ok (oil trading hub) is literally afloat with oil. Since gas demand is down the US has steadily been building an inventory of oil, and I suspect this will continue until the US economy picks back up. The oil production cuts in the middle east have done nothing.

So.... are we about to see oil take a dramatic price drop?
You didn't just hit the nail on the head, you hammered it with a big ole sledge..

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6258519.html

There is a whole herd of oil tankers filled to the brim with crude just sitting parked in the Gulf of Mexico. Our crude storage is nearly at capacity. Middle eastern countries are leasing more and more OLD oil tankers to store their production.

The 1st bubble burst and got us down to 40 but these jackasses didn't learn their lesson. They tried to drive the price back up again and it is going to burst a 2nd time in less than a year. I'm predicting oil will hit $20. That is going to kick Texas and Louisiana right in the balls..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
You didn't just hit the nail on the head, you hammered it with a big ole sledge..

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6258519.html

There is a whole herd of oil tankers filled to the brim with crude just sitting parked in the Gulf of Mexico. Our crude storage is nearly at capacity. Middle eastern countries are leasing more and more OLD oil tankers to store their production.

The 1st bubble burst and got us down to 40 but these jackasses didn't learn their lesson. They tried to drive the price back up again and it is going to burst a 2nd time in less than a year. I'm predicting oil will hit $20. That is going to kick Texas and Louisiana right in the balls..
It won't be good for Texas, but we will survive it just fine. Remember 1999? Oil touched $10 back then, and hovered around the $13/$14 mark all year. $1 premium FTW!
Seriously, it would be a perfect time to tell the middle east to stick it off in their collective asses. Sever that tie when oil is cheap, and let it go up on our terms here at home.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
yeah...sure did. That $140/bbl was our economy The oil consumption did come down a bit but not that much. The over inflated prices during the summer were stemmed from complete bullshit in my mind. Lots of speculation and people sitting back thinking of ways to make more money and fuck everyone else in the world. Our world oil consumption didnt fall 65% over the last couple months like oil price did.

Oil companies soaked up their cash for MONTHS while we suffered...so fuck them. THey can take their low oil prices and stick it up their ass. They will still balance out way ahead.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
yeah...sure did. That $140/bbl was our economy The oil consumption did come down a bit but not that much. The over inflated prices during the summer were stemmed from complete bullshit in my mind. Lots of speculation and people sitting back thinking of ways to make more money and fuck everyone else in the world. Our world oil consumption didnt fall 65% over the last couple months like oil price did.

Oil companies soaked up their cash for months while we suffered...so fuck them. They can take their low oil prices and stick it up their ass. They will still balance out way ahead.
lmfao ok!

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:45 AM
LUCIFER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I really don't understand why gasoline has gone up 30% in the last two weeks. But it's still cheap I guess.

that's what I've been curious about, 93 oct been around $2.01-2.12!

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Lifer

Quote:
No sympathy here. I hate anyone getting laid off but a few roughnecks compared to thousands of factory workers getting laid off just doesn't have an equal state of urgency. If the oil industry didn't save some of the shitpot full of money they've had the luxery of over the last few years....they should have.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Just these assholes controlling the supply and production of gas. If they started producing at 100% capacity right now, gas would be $.50/gal.

Want to see the economy come exploding back? Make that happen.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Worship me

Oil is a cyclical business. I'm not sure why anyone is suprised. Bring on the oil supply glut.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt View Post
No sympathy here. I hate anyone getting laid off but a few roughnecks compared to thousands of factory workers getting laid off just doesn't have an equal state of urgency. If the oil industry didn't save some of the shitpot full of money they've had the luxery of over the last few years....they should have.
Hey boss it's not just a few Rough necks, There is more the Oil industry then Roughnecks and Roustabouts. You have several different kind of Engineer's, Geologists amongst other professional trades out there.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Lifer

Not to mention that the oil industry is what has acted somewhat like barrier for the recession hitting this area. Oil comes crashing down and we go with it.

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Lifer

My wife works for a refiner, and their profits (margins) are much better with oil at $38 than it was @ $120.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 02:48 PM

my wife works for a driller - lots of folks in the corporate office gonna get laid off. Not just executive fat cats - billing clerks, accountants etc.... just everyday people who get by on a modest wage.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
my wife works for a driller - lots of folks in the corporate office gonna get laid off. Not just executive fat cats - billing clerks, accountants etc.... just everyday people who get by on a modest wage.
I work at a furniture manufacture.. everyday people are getting laid off there too. Its not just the oil companies.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Yeah for the stimulus package... oil and stocks are down...

Crude Oil
$34.93

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

lol at some of the statements being tossed around in this thread.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Oil is a cyclical business. I'm not sure why anyone is suprised. Bring on the oil supply glut.
So what do you think of DRYS being under 4.00 right now...oil going to stay down for awhile?
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Out

Quote:
Quote:
Why has gas been rising the last month or so?
Because we'd buy the shit out of it and jack the price of oil right the fuck back up! Take a few cent climb or get ass-raped again.
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

I read an article about American oil being cheaper than foreign crude but we dont have the pipeline to get it to the refineries, so we are paying more to refine it. What a crock of shit

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement