On the bright side of the economy - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Married Man on 14Feb2010

On the bright side of the economy

Quote:
Each month, the unemployment numbers grow more staggering. Since January 2008, more than four million people have lost their jobs, pushing the nation's unemployment rate to 7.6% -- a 16-year high, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

While no state's work force remains unscathed, some are faring better than others.
The Lone Star state isn’t so lonely anymore. This low-tax, low-regulation, low-wage state, attracts plenty of businesses, says Cal State's Bland. (Major employers include AT&T, Dell and ExxonMobil. The job opportunities and low cost of living help keep college students in Texas post-graduation, he says. The state is also home to three metropolitan areas that saw the biggest increase in employment in the country in 2008: Houston, Dallas and San Antonio (in that order). Austin came in fifth. Should the stimulus package pass, expect to see even more jobs in energy and infrastructure, says Milken's DeVol.
http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...-Job-Prospects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Lifer

There's a reason I've been here all my life and will never leave...it's the spirit of our state and it's people. It's hard to describe what it is, but it's a special place to a whole lot of us. It's almost like the spirits of our forefathers (Houston, Austin, Bowie, Crockett, etc.) have hung around all these years. Corny? Yep, but I'm still proud to be here.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 AM
ebay pimp

Yep, Texas is a great place...if for no other reason than it's resistance to recessions. I've lived through every recession here since the 70's & even remember the stream of people coming from Michigan in the late 70's-early 80's. Texas always grows during recessions, while many other states shrink.

There are many other wonderfull places to visit, but in the end I always come back to my home, Texas.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White trash wagon View Post
Yep, Texas is a great place...if for no other reason than it's resistance to recessions. I've lived through every recession here since the 70's & even remember the stream of people coming from Michigan in the late 70's-early 80's. Texas always grows during recessions, while many other states shrink.

There are many other wonderfull places to visit, but in the end I always come back to my home, Texas.
I remember so many of those Yankee's having to come here, then bitched about it. I was always the first to tell them to take I35N until it stops, then hang a right...didn't need them before, don't need them now.
I do realize that it's no Utopia here, but we tend to fare a lot better than other states in tough times.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:34 AM
How you doin'

hey, retail sales unexpectedly rose 1% last month...unfortunately fuel sales increased as well, so i'm sure that oil will start heading back up soon. unfortunately the refineries are propping up gas already, so gas will likely go up at a higher percentage than oil in the near future. who knows...

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1029502
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40 View Post
hey, retail sales unexpectedly rose 1% last month...unfortunately fuel sales increased as well, so i'm sure that oil will start heading back up soon. unfortunately the refineries are propping up gas already, so gas will likely go up at a higher percentage than oil in the near future. who knows...

I also just noticed that the "stimulus package" is already working! Market is only down about 170!

Seriously, though,Foreclosures are down, along with jobless claims...

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 AM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
I also just noticed that the "stimulus package" is already working! Market is only down about 170!

Seriously, though,Foreclosures are down, along with jobless claims...
if things don't pick up by the end of the day, then tomorrow is probably going to be pretty nice.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
There's a reason I've been here all my life and will never leave...it's the spirit of our state and it's people. It's hard to describe what it is, but it's a special place to a whole lot of us. It's almost like the spirits of our forefathers (Houston, Austin, Bowie, Crockett, etc.) have hung around all these years. Corny? Yep, but I'm still proud to be here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPbogQZV9Vc

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Hero in a half shell

I had a guy come in my store the other day that came here from Detroit and said that his politics flipped after he saw that "things just seem to work better economically when the republicans have control." He then later went on to say that things just didn't work up there and unfortunately his friends don't get it up there. He's grateful that he lives here and has a job for that matter. He also talked about how racially divided it is up there while down here everybody in general gets along with each other.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40 View Post

If I recall correctly, that retail sales growth of 1% included purchases made using giftcards. In reality, I wouldn't call those numbers a part of 'growth' because the actual financial benefit of that has already been realized, aside from the benefit of retailers moving stagnant inventory.

But I could be mistaken.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
If I recall correctly, that retail sales growth of 1% included purchases made using giftcards. In reality, I wouldn't call those numbers a part of 'growth' because the actual financial benefit of that has already been realized, aside from the benefit of retailers moving stagnant inventory.

But I could be mistaken.
And most of the gift card redemptions were because the customers were afraid the business would go bankrupt, so they spent them as fast as they could.

That's not necessarily a good sign, because it was more out of fear than want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement