"Most partisan speech of his young presidency"... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

"Most partisan speech of his young presidency"...

He basically blamed Republicans/Bush for the economy. The article tells more than the video on the link but it's there if you want to watch as well.
Quote:
A fired-up Barack Obama ditched his TelePrompter to rally House Democrats and rip Republican opponents of his recovery package Thursday night – at one point openly mocking the GOP for failing to follow through on promises of bipartisanship.
In what was the most pointedly partisan speech of his young presidency, Obama rejected Republican arguments that massive spending in the $819 billion stimulus bill that passed the House should be replaced by a new round of massive tax cuts.
“I welcome this debate, but we are not going to get relief by turning back to the same policies that for the last eight years doubled the national debt and threw our economy into a tailspin,” said President Obama – sounding more like Candidate Obama than at any time since he took the oath of office less than a month ago.
Obama, speaking to about 200 House Democrats at their annual retreat at the Kingsmill Resort and Spa, dismissed Republican attacks against the massive spending in the stimulus.
"What do you think a stimulus is?" Obama asked incredulously. "It’s spending — that's the whole point! Seriously.”
Stabbing hard at Republicans who once aligned themselves with his predecessor, Obama made it clear that the problems he seeks to address with his recovery plan weren’t ones of his making.
“When you start hearing arguments, on the cable chatter, just understand a couple of things,” he said. “No. 1, when they say, ‘Well, why are we spending $800 billion [when] we’ve got this huge deficit?’ – first of all, I found this deficit when I showed up, No. 1.
“I found this national debt, doubled, wrapped in a big bow waiting for me as I stepped into the Oval Office.”
After his remarks, Obama, clearly caught up in the moment, made the party get-together feel even more like a campaign rally with his signature call-and-response chant.
“Fired up?” he asked the Democratic lawmakers. “Ready to go!” a group of them shouted back.
In his speech, Obama went on to contrast the kind words of House and Senate Republican leaders with their increasingly strident opposition to the stimulus package.

“We were complimented by Republicans saying, ‘This is a balanced package . . . we’re pleasantly surprised,’” he said. “Suddenly, what was a ‘balanced package’ is suddenly out of balance.”

As the Senate deliberated in Washington – and packed it in for the night without finalizing a deal — Obama brushed pressed House Democrats to finalize the bill "without delay" when it emerged from the upper chamber.
"Let's think big right now," the president urged House Democrats. "Let's not think small."
Obama’s words bore only a vague resemblance to the prepared remarks the White House distributed to reporters as he began to speak. House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) said Obama appeared to ditch his TelePrompter about a third of the way through the speech.
“He went to his heart, I think he spoke from his heart,” Clyburn said. “He went back to being the Barack Obama that Americans fell in love with when they went to the polls.”
Despite the hero's welcome Obama got in Williamsburg, there remain some skeptics of the plan within his own party. But if there was any tension between Obama and the House Democrats, it was hard to see it in the room. Before Obama spoke, House Democrats and their spouses posed for cell phone photos with the president – and even with White House spokesman Robert Gibbs.
His chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, gobbling berries and cream in white shirtsleeves, rushed out of the hall at one point, barking into his cell phone along the way as he wove between tables packed with his former House colleagues.
When Obama finally spoke, he called Pelosi “a rock” and “the great speaker of the House.” And he said that House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey and other House chairmen had acted with “discipline” in passing their version of the stimulus bill.
And while Obama said Americans are looking for the parties to work together on the stimulus, he said that it’s time to move past “the false theories of the past,” including the notion that tax cuts could cure all ills. In the process, he reminded the Democrats in the room – and the Republicans back in Washington – that he won the election in November.
“If you’re headed for a cliff, you’ve got to change direction,” Obama said. “That’s what the American people called for in November, and that’s what we intend to deliver.”
But Democrats have their work cut out for them if they are going to approve the package without any GOP votes. As Obama circled the room and posed for photos before he spoke, a person in the room spotted Phil Schiliro, the president’s top legislative liaison, huddled in a tense conversation with Obey, the principal author of the House — a reminder that the bill still has a ways to go.
After the speech, Obama fielded a range of questions from Democrats in the room.
Hoping to keep jobs in his district, Georgia Rep. David Scott appealed to Obama to continue production of the F-22 fighter plane.
Responding to a question from Iowa Rep. Dave Loebsack, Obama said that Gen. David Petraeus and other Pentagon officials are reviewing the military situation in Afghanistan – and that he would emphasize diplomacy with Pakistan and articulate a clear strategy for the U.S. military there.
Among the many hurdles he faces, Obama must referee an emerging divide between the fiscal conservatives in his party and those Democrats who want him to increase federal funding for key domestic priorities like education and health care. Responding to a question from Pennsylvania Rep. Chaka Fattah about that balance, Obama said, "We've inherited a mess. It's our job to clean it up."
But the president promised to begin with homeowners facing foreclosure, telling the assembled Democrats that he would include money for distressed households in the next installment of federal funding to purchase distressed mortgage-related debt.
In his bid to overcome partisan gridlock, Obama promised the assembled Democrats that he and Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, the new chairman of the Democratic National Committee, would work together to mobilize voters on big issues, like energy and health care reform, utilizing the party's campaign committees in the process.
Rhode Island Rep. Jim Langevin, who hasn't been able to walk since he was 16, asked Obama if he would remove the executive ban on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. Yes, Obama replied, but only after he and congressional leaders figure out a way to prevent opponents from overturning it.
The president closed his remarks by telling lawmakers and their families that he is "grateful and humbled" to be the leader of their party – and he said his “greatest partner,” Pelosi, “delivers on everything she promises.”
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/18482

Working on my project Stang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I love how he's "transcended partisan politics" LOL

He sounds like a puppet for president pelosi.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Lifer

He's so frustrated... Just wait until he comes upon a tough vote, like socialized health care. What a pussy we have for a president.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

I almost threw up when I was watching that speech. I cussed him out several times, and might have even dropped the N-bomb, which I rarely do.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
He's so frustrated... Just wait until he comes upon a tough vote, like socialized health care. What a pussy we have for a president.
Frustration is quite apparent. Hope and faith has hit a brick wall LOL......

Welcome to the presidency, mr obama. It's not like being on the campaign trail where people will buy your bullshit.

Got a note from my financial guy. Basically they are starting to see the beginnings of a turnaround in the financial markets. I can see it now, obama claiming that his porkulous bill sparked the coming recovery
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Lifer

Anybody notice that Obama bitches about the deficit, yet he is running as hard as he can in the same direction? Below he talks bad about previous policies, but he forgets that giant bailout packages were the previous policies. He is doing the same damn thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
I welcome this debate, but we are not going to get relief by turning back to the same policies that for the last eight years doubled the national debt and threw our economy into a tailspin,
He welcomes debate, but once he can't change their minds he starts crying like a little boy. Also, when the Representatives won't vote for his package he gets mad, like he just expects them to OK it even they don't think it is the correct thing to do. HE says they are just being "partisan". Weak.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
Frustration is quite apparent. Hope and faith has hit a brick wall LOL......

Welcome to the presidency, mr obama. It's not like being on the campaign trail where people will buy your bullshit.

Got a note from my financial guy. Basically they are starting to see the beginnings of a turnaround in the financial markets. I can see it now, obama claiming that his porkulous bill sparked the coming recovery
He should be a big hit at the "summit meetings" when world leaders voice different opinions. That "I won" bullshit won't fly.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
He welcomes debate, but once he can't change their minds he starts crying like a little boy. Also, when the Representatives won't vote for his package he gets mad, like he just expects them to OK it even they don't think it is the correct thing to do. HE says they are just being "partisan". Weak.
Exactly, he's bipartisan as along as everyone goes along with what he wants. When there is a difference he starts to cry like a baby and complain about obstructionism. His youth and inexperience is showing here. A real statesman would have included the opposition in the design of the stimulus to ensure it's passage. The republicans were excluded from the writing of the bill, and then were expected to go along with it. Bzzzzzzzt.

Barry had better watch himself, because he's going to have to live with this bill (should it pass) and with a lot of the republicans there on the hill already. If he pisses them off he's going to have a tough road for the next 4 years.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:09 PM
CJD
Time Served

Oh yeah! He's BEEN partisan! He's said ALOT of paritsan things while he was campaigning and of course, the media didn't call him on it at all. I mean, if they think that this guy is the "second coming" and will unite everybody like he says, then why not question him about partisan statements that he has made?? I predict that he's going to make quite a bit of partisan statements between now and the end of his Presidency, and just like while he was campaigning, the media won't call him on it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
Exactly, he's bipartisan as along as everyone goes along with what he wants. When there is a difference he starts to cry like a baby and complain about obstructionism. His youth and inexperience is showing here. A real statesman would have included the opposition in the design of the stimulus to ensure it's passage. The republicans were excluded from the writing of the bill, and then were expected to go along with it.
He reminds me of a rookie NASCAR driver. He's real cocky till he gets in his first big wreck.

Bama hasn't even worked on the stimulus. He's too busy working on closing Gitmo and getting a boner on all of our money he is going to spend.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD View Post
Oh yeah! He's BEEN partisan! He's said ALOT of paritsan things while he was campaigning and of course, the media didn't call him on it at all. I mean, if they think that this guy is the "second coming" and will unite everybody like he says, then why not question him about partisan statements that he has made?? I predict that he's going to make quite a bit of partisan statements between now and the end of his Presidency, and just like while he was campaigning, the media won't call him on it.
Agreed. The real problem is not just how the media covers this dumbass, but why do all of these people in the US just open up and eat what the media feeds them?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Agreed. The real problem is not just how the media covers this dumbass, but why do all of these people in the US just open up and eat what the media feeds them?
because they cant think for themselves... I love it, if the truth doesnt work, just lie... the media isnt going to call him and the people are too stupid to read the bill...

Welcome to Washington Mr President!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:40 PM
CJD
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Well, don't know about him being a "dumbass". Think that he's intelligent, but not meant to be a President.

Part of it is the media, another part is "Pop Culture". I mean, when you have every Hollywood actor that can use their voice muscles, publically come out and act like we're idiots, by telling us who to vote for. Then you have all of the rock musicians, singers, rappers, athletes, etc. come out and endorse the guy. You combine all of that, and it doesn't suprise me whatsoever that people could be tricked into voting for "Black Jesus".
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Secular Dogooderist

Groupthink, anyone?

Geezus men, if I didn't know any better I'd think you guys hated our president. I seem to be more of the opinion that he's already been more of a president than Bush could have ever hoped to be. You guys are funny.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
---
This will help everyone out, check it.
It is time we acknowledged a basic feature of human discourse: when considering the truth of a proposition, one is either engaged in an honest appraisal of the evidence and logical arguments, or one is not. Religion is the one area of our lives where people imagine that some other standard of intellectual integrity applies.
-Sam Harris
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
Groupthink, anyone?

Geezus men, if I didn't know any better I'd think you guys hated our president. I seem to be more of the opinion that he's already been more of a president than Bush could have ever hoped to be. You guys are funny.
Your boy can't even find enough decent people to fill his cabinet. His press secretary is a bumbling, mumbling idiot. He finally had to bring in a Republican, because he's the only guy that isn't a tax cheat. He's gone from "Hope and change", to "Holy shit, the sky is falling!" You drank the kool aid, so you may as well gut it out, and take your proverbial ass-whipping, just like Barry...

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Groupthink, anyone?

How's the "CHANGE" working out for ya so far? Your messiah seems to be having a pretty tough time with it.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:35 PM
CJD
Time Served

Quote:
Groupthink, anyone?

See, you should've just kept your mouth closed, because now you look like an idiot. I mean, lets forget about Democrat, Republican, Liberal, or Conservative for one second.... the guy has only been in office for 2 weeks, so to compare 2 weeks to 8 years makes no sense whatsoever. Making such an illogical statement destroys any, and all credibility you have.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Well, don't know about him being a "dumbass". Think that he's intelligent, but not meant to be a President.

Part of it is the media, another part is "Pop Culture". I mean, when you have every Hollywood actor that can use their voice muscles, publically come out and act like we're idiots, by telling us who to vote for. Then you have all of the rock musicians, singers, rappers, athletes, etc. come out and endorse the guy. You combine all of that, and it doesn't suprise me whatsoever that people could be tricked into voting for "Black Jesus".
With the lack of common sense this dope has, he is definitely a dumbass. Speaks a lot about his voters too. The country's heyday has come and gone.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 AM
Lifer

Quote:
See, you should've just kept your mouth closed, because now you look like an idiot. I mean, lets forget about Democrat, Republican, Liberal, or Conservative for one second.... the guy has only been in office for 2 weeks, so to compare 2 weeks to 8 years makes no sense whatsoever. Making such an illogical statement destroys any, and all credibility you have.
He's never had much credibility anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement