Did people always hate the other party's pres??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
OLD SCHOOL crew

Did people always hate the other party's pres???

It seems to me as if hatred for the president who belonged to the opposite party started with Clinton. It seems to have carried though with Bush and now Obama.

As a kid I don't remember the opposing party HATING Reagan or HW Bush.

It's seems as if the attitude is "my guy didn't win, fuck that other guy, I want him to FAIL, that'll show 'em"

WTF?

Older members of the board, did people of the opposing party wish failure upon Carter, Ford, Nixon, LBJ, Kennedy etc. ???

I just feel as if partisan politics has been tearing this country apart for the last few adminsitrations and specifically the last 8+ years.

Buy my 98 Civic 5spd - New A/C $2250 over 40mpg on the [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
I want to live as an outlaw, or what used to be called a Free American.
Quote:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories. And to render even them safe, their minds must be improved to a certain degree." --Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieF3 View Post
It seems to me as if hatred for the president who belonged to the opposite party started with Clinton. It seems to have carried though with Bush and now Obama.

As a kid I don't remember the opposing party HATING Reagan or HW Bush.

It's seems as if the attitude is "my guy didn't win, fuck that other guy, I want him to FAIL, that'll show 'em"

WTF?

Older members of the board, did people of the opposing party wish failure upon Carter, Ford, Nixon, LBJ, Kennedy etc. ???

I just feel as if partisan politics has been tearing this country apart for the last few adminsitrations and specifically the last 8+ years.
Answer is no. The office had respect even if he wasn't perfect. We were smart enough to know that failure of our President meant the failure of our country. So we didn't let ourselves be divided like this. Even through the Nixon debacle. Nixon had the same bosses..he just couldn't handle the job.

Now there is nothing but "follow the group think leader" egos, this vast new market of "talk hate radio", and ownership and control of the mass media by folks who don't consider the well being of you and me a priority. IMHO.
EXHIBIT A: look around you and compare what you see to 10 yrs ago. And if you dare, think about 10 yrs in the future at this rate. It's all by globalization design and led by the worlds elite. Personally I'm not looking forward to the aristocratic and policed nation we will be.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Lifer

As much as I disliked Carter, I never "hated" him. He was/is a good man, just a shitty Prez. His term was the one that has led to the pussification" of America. For the most part, I can forgive him for the financial debacle he helped create, but I'll never forgive him for letting Iran (and others) publicly shit on us on national TV every night for a year-and-a-half. Everyone see's it from their own perspective, too.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Lifer

No...
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Politics was so much cleaner in the old days.

Like when Thomas Jefferson's camp accused Pres Adams of having a “hideous hermaphroditical character, which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.”

And Adam's supporters responded with saying Jefferson was “a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father.”
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdem View Post

Like when Thomas Jefferson's camp accused Pres Adams of having a “hideous hermaphroditical character, which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.”

And Adam's supporters responded with saying Jefferson was “a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father.”
The difference is there was no media to speak of. News was weeks, sometimes months old before it got around the country. NOw you can "click" on the tube or computer, and it's instant B.S.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Lifer

Get real.

Hell yes the "other" party(ies) have hated the President. Duh. When the guy that is on the other team - that has an ideology opposite yours - wins the big prize you get pissy.

You really think this is as recent as Clinton? lol

BTW - who is it that "hates" Obama? Is it the Republicans who are going to be steamrolled, or his party's leaders that he's already stepping on the toes of?
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Lifer

Hatred - It was not the "cool" thing to do back then. Now days with the media and the people pushing global agendas their message is if you don't hate the other party you are "one of them" and are the enemy destined to be hated.

Mopar63

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 PM
The Janitor

haha, Thomas Jefferson was pretty pissed at John Adam's for being the 2nd president as opposed to him. Hell, John Adam's and Jefferson were incredible rivals as President and Vice President, so much so for much of the time they or their supporters didnt speak to one another.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:

You mean to tell me Jefferson was part Black

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camino View Post
You mean to tell me Jefferson was part Black
It's true. I like John Wayne's quote about Kennedy: "I didn't vote for him, but he's my president." Pure class.

Give me a dollar.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
The difference is there was no media to speak of. News was weeks, sometimes months old before it got around the country. NOw you can "click" on the tube or computer, and it's instant B.S.
I couldn't agree more. The fact it seems worse is the 24/7 news cycle, the internet, etc. One day you'll tell your grandkids how politics was better way back then.

If it wasn't for the internet and FoxNews all you wack-job, right-wing, nut cases would be alone in your concrete bunkers with no lines of communication to the outside world.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. The fact it seems worse is the 24/7 news cycle, the internet, etc. One day you'll tell your grandkids how politics was better way back then.

If it wasn't for the internet and FoxNews all you wack-job, right-wing, nut cases would be alone in your concrete bunkers with no lines of communication to the outside world.
If you can recognize the bullshit games being played by the media for ratings, look past them. They don't matter, so we shouldn't worry about them.

Give me a dollar.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
We're just better prepared to deal with the EMP blasts and fallout than the libs. You can't eat an iPod!
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:25 PM
IA2

Politics has always been dirty, but over the last 20 years or so the media has gotten downright filthy. Someone mentioned that jfk layed 3 women on the day he was elected, yet the media didn't report on it. Today? Front page news. The office of the president used to garner some respect, but now its all fair game.

Of course, the principles that the media operates under has changed quite a bit too. No one realized that walter cronkite was a commie until recently. Today the media is unabashedly and apologetically left leaning (with the notable exception of talk radio), which is why they are going down the shitter (think air america).
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Worship me

You aren't imaging things, this country is more polarized than ever.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
You aren't imaging things, this country is more polarized than ever.
I disagree. Top of mind is the civil war.

I would argue that the politicians, media, and internet 'experts' do a wonderful job of using the divisions in our society to further their career, standing, etc.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I used to be a 'yellow dog' Democrat, voting for Carter in '76 and '80. I was very partisan, and remember hating Reagan pretty bad in the early '80s, blaming him for just about everything. I finally came to my senses watching the DNC in '84, realizing I had practically nothing in common with those clowns. It just wasn't as public back then. I think a lot of it started when Reagan successfully stuck the Democrats with the 'tax and spend liberal' label. Even though they controlled both houses of congress he seemed to have them on their heels a lot during his two terms, being known as the 'Great Communicator,' and they sure didn't like it.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Lifer

i support a president that has the american people in best interest.when ron paul was held down by the media and the goverment went along with it all my trust and respect went out the window.

blue/red/left/right its all bullshit.what we get is one lieing crook after another.i want joe the plumber as our president!

RON PAUL '08
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Never settle always excel

LOL at the mere thought that filth and scorn in Politics is new. Heck go back and look at the year 1804 when a former Vice President shot and mortally wounded a former Secretary of the Treasury, yep he died as a result of the duel. I see that several persons posting on this site have a limited knowledge of United States History. Also seeing that in the year 1800 our country had just over 5,308,483 inhabitants versus in the year 2000 and our 281,421,906 people, it makes one wonder. Does the population increasing 53 times in 200 years have any impact? Well, yeah.

I suppose some of you would also assume that the good old days did not involve mass murder or serial killers as well. Look into Herman Mudgett aka H.H. Holmes, heck go read a book and stop proving you're ignorance here.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Lifer

you sound like a well known historian,tell us some stories!lol

RON PAUL '08
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Out

As far as HATING a president, no... never. I've disagreed with issues and how some have handled them, but never HATED a president. This one is as close as it gets, though, and he's not even finished with his first week. Check back with me later.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:25 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieF3 View Post
A-fucking-men!

Honestly though, it wouldn't surprise me if it's always been this way, I just think it's the information saturation we have now that makes it seem worse. You got the internet, where any douche with an agenda can say whatever he wants, and people listen. Then there's traditional media, radio and TV, which is evermore focused on ratings and money, rather than actual journalism.

Is crime worse now, than it was when I was a kid? Nope. Statistics actually show it's considerably better now than it was 20+ years ago. But you wouldn't know it by watching the evening news.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzilla332 View Post
I used to be a 'yellow dog' Democrat, voting for Carter in '76 and '80. I was very partisan, and remember hating Reagan pretty bad in the early '80s, blaming him for just about everything. I finally came to my senses watching the DNC in '84, realizing I had practically nothing in common with those clowns. It just wasn't as public back then. I think a lot of it started when Reagan successfully stuck the Democrats with the 'tax and spend liberal' label. Even though they controlled both houses of congress he seemed to have them on their heels a lot during his two terms, being known as the 'Great Communicator,' and they sure didn't like it.
I agree with this post. I thought Carter was a great President and that Reagan was an idiot back in the day when I was a Democrat. My parents were JFK Democrats and I always believed the mean old Republicans only wanted big business to succeed and didn't care about the little people.

It took Clinton pulling all of his weak shit in the Oval Office for me to realize the Dems didn't care what he did, they would support his lying, cheating ass. There has always been hate for the other side, especially by the Dems towards the Republicans.

I don't hate Obama, but I hate almost everything he stands for.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83 View Post
i support a president that has the american people in best interest.when ron paul was held down by the media and the goverment went along with it all my trust and respect went out the window.

blue/red/left/right its all bullshit.what we get is one lieing crook after another.i want joe the plumber as our president!
Dude, you really need to get off the RP nutsack.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Lifer

I dont think repubs and dems really hate the other parties president. I am a republican, and fairly active with the republican party, and I dot hate Obama nor do I want him to fail, to even think that would be un-american.

post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Dude, you really need to get off the RP nutsack.
Why? Is it a bad idea to have someone with an actual workable plan watching this clusterfuck?

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt View Post
Why? Is it a bad idea to have someone with an actual workable plan watching this clusterfuck?
I just question the "workable plan" part. I, too, want what's best for America, but "wanting" it isn't enough. Ron Paul will be 74 years old soon, and if he were a Republican or Democrat, would have never even been considered. Maybe his age is one reason he wasn't taken seriously.

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Lifer

Ron paul is never going to be president, but his conservative ideas are going to inspire many new politicians both republican and democrat

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I just question the "workable plan" part. I, too, want what's best for America, but "wanting" it isn't enough. Ron Paul will be 74 years old soon, and if he were a Republican or Democrat, would have never even been considered. Maybe his age is one reason he wasn't taken seriously.
The biggies are that as a member of the finance commitee he has been warning for 20 years that the Fed Reserve was going to devalue the dollar until it had no value..we're about there. About the bailout he said if we let the fat wallstreet turds hit the floor and clean themselves up as free market should, we would be out of this mess in a year or two. And cut government frigging borrowing and spending that we can't afford!!!

I saw RP as the middle ground between cut throat wall street and socialism. Yes, he is too old to ever be President after now. BTW tho, he is in perfect health and runs 5 miles a day. He just refuses to schmooze the right "bosses" is the reason he got blown up early on. I know he sounded radical but so does the latest state of the union. Gut check = we're fucked.

post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
This has been addressed ad nauseum. If you don't get it, you never will.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Lifer

Quote:
and if he were a Republican or Democrat, would have never even been considered. Maybe his age is one reason he wasn't taken seriously.
Ron Paul has been a republican congressman for over 20 years. It's not difficult to see that he is more republican party and "true" conservative than most in DC. He was asked to run on an independent ticket but proclaimed he is loyal to the republican party and wants to restore it.

The republican party has been used and abused. Or..."taken for a quick fuck and a free buck".

post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Lifer

Quote:
This has been addressed ad nauseum. If you don't get it, you never will.
Does the phrase "can't see the forest for the trees" mean anything to you?

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Does the phrase "can't see the forest for the trees" mean anything to you?
Every time I see a post from you I think of it.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Every time I see a post from you I think of it.
Have you ever thought of anything all by yourself?

post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Have you ever thought of anything all by yourself?
I was the first to realize you are an idiot. Does that count?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I was the first to realize you are an idiot. Does that count?
No. It has to be a somewhat accurate thought....doh. You think almost everybody is an idiot. Nothing unique about that. Go ahead...consult your handbook for a "zinger".

post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
OLD SCHOOL crew

When I posted originally I was focusing more on "wishing failure" than hatred. I feel as if the hate for the opposition has gone so far as to want that person/party to fail. Cut off your nose to spite your face sort of deal.

Buy my 98 Civic 5spd - New A/C $2250 over 40mpg on the [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
I want to live as an outlaw, or what used to be called a Free American.
Quote:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories. And to render even them safe, their minds must be improved to a certain degree." --Thomas Jefferson
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Here's the bottom line that I wish more people would realize when they "hate" a person that is the president at that time:

The lives of our soldiers are in his hands.

That right there is why I will always respect the Office of President of the United States, no matter who that is and no matter if I voted for him.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8 View Post
Here's the bottom line that I wish more people would realize when they "hate" a person that is the president at that time:

The lives of our soldiers are in his hands.

That right there is why I will always respect the Office of President of the United States, no matter who that is and no matter if I voted for him.
I respect the office, just not the man...

post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
No. It has to be a somewhat accurate thought....doh. You think almost everybody is an idiot. Nothing unique about that. Go ahead...consult your handbook for a "zinger".
How would you know if you are an idiot or not since you are an idiot? Wouldn't that make you too stupid to know?

Just trust me on this one.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I respect the office, just not the man...
We had nearly 8 years of people disrespecting the office and the man. I will not do what they did and disrespect the office.

I have no respect for him at all.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Just trust me on this one.
Yea..that's what I'll do.

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
We had nearly 8 years of people having sympathy and concern for the office and distrust of the man.

post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Yea..that's what I'll do.
Now you're getting it idiot.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I am still in love with RP and hate everyone else.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

Sponsored Links
Advertisement