So I'm watching natgeo channel's "Inside the Vietnam War" - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.

So I'm watching natgeo channel's "Inside the Vietnam War"

And I'm pretty familiar with the war's history, but I've never caught a 3 hour long special from start to finish on the war as a whole. Honestly, I was more moved and upset by this documentary than any I've seen before. Over and over the numbers don't lie, 10 to 1 NVA/VC kills in each battle, complete tactical domination generally - and then to see Walter Cronkite inform the public that the war is a stalemate is absolutely sickening. So damn frustrating.

Last edited by CJ; 01-20-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 AM
The Janitor

as soon as LBJ saw Cronkite's special, he said "well thats it, we lost the john q public if we lost Walter" paraphrasing of course.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell View Post
as soon as LBJ saw Cronkite's special, he said "well thats it, we lost the john q public if we lost Walter" paraphrasing of course.
Exactly. Tet Offensive tally: 45,000 dead NVA 1,000 dead american - 45:1 - stalemate. It's a shame a civilian with a journalism degree casts his country's judgment with his opinion.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Time Served

was watching that last night, good stuff.

its still "we the people"right?

"So this is how democracy dies, with thunderous applause"

"a lesson lived is a lesson learned, everyday is a lesson."

obama is a man made disaster
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Lifer

Numbers dont matter when it's politics being played.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Worship me

That's a great one to catch and they play it pretty often. Hell yes it will piss you off.

At least we didn't fall for that bullshit in Iraq. The lefties sure did try though. Where are all the lefties who said we had already lost and we should come home? They sure are a quiet bunch these days. I guess they've moved on to the next thing to cry about.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Lifer

Obama has said that he won't immediately bring the troops home. They don't want to challenge the messiah...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Lifer

It is a great series and I also thought I knew alot about the Vietnam war and that show taught me how little I actually knew.

I find it eery how they (VC) knew we did not have the stomach to follow through and were willing to sacrifice thousands of lives for every American life to win. Al Quaeda sure thought the same thing until they came across Bush. I hope Obama doesn't piss it all away in a few months.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Time Served

One thing that hit me was when the soldiers told how they felt about Johnson saying he wouldn't seek another term. They said they felt like he left them "out there to dry" and how he "cut and run."

People bitch about Bush but at least he didn't make our soldiers in Iraq feel that way. It was bad for morale.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Coupe View Post
One thing that hit me was when the soldiers told how they felt about Johnson saying he wouldn't seek another term. They said they felt like he left them "out there to dry" and how he "cut and run."

People bitch about Bush but at least he didn't make our soldiers in Iraq feel that way. It was bad for morale.
bad for morale? shit it ended the war, haha.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 AM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Exactly. Tet Offensive tally: 45,000 dead NVA 1,000 dead American - 45:1 - stalemate. It's a shame a civilian with a journalism degree casts his country's judgment with his opinion.
that is why I hate the media, they have no business covering a war, all that can do is make people not want to stomach it anymore. Not to mention that showing locations that the enemy will know better than the American people on a channel that anybody can get access to to allow them a chance to ambush the troops.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement