No more Front License Plate bill - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Exclamation No more Front License Plate bill

For all your legislature watching interests, the Bill is HB309

Stay up to date with it's travels through congress: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...81R&Bill=HB309

For you idiots that actually read this forum and know nothing about how government works (which I would guess is 40% of you): as of this post THIS HAS NOT BEEN PASSED INTO LAW, YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE A FRONT LICENSE PLATE

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Lifer

They introduce one every session, I keep waiting for one to actually slip through...

I like this graphic... makes it easy for the less than politically inclined...

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...81R&Bill=HB309
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8 View Post
For all your legislature watching interests, the Bill is HB309

Stay up to date with it's travels through congress: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...81R&Bill=HB309

For you idiots that actually read this forum and know nothing about how government works (which I would guess is 40% of you): as of this post THIS HAS NOT BEEN PASSED INTO LAW, YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE A FRONT LICENSE PLATE
Nice disclaimer!

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Worship me

Don't worry, the company that makes money on manufacturing the plates will get right in there and lobby this thing away. It happens every year.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:05 PM
BANNED

"I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill and I'm sitting here on capitol hill"
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Don't worry, the company that makes money on manufacturing the plates will get right in there and lobby this thing away. It happens every year.
Why change any of that? Just change the law! If you want to put that second plate that you paid for on the front, go for it.

I'm sure there is more to it though.

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:49 PM
LS1 Fighter

By any chance is there a bill for Motorcycle Lane Splitting??

Can't beat them, Join their message board !!

I m5...

post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Actually, plates are still made in Huntsville by the prison. The company that was making the "designer plates" at myplates.com is already defunct . . . it took less than 2 months, LOL.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...122plates.html

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 PM
IA2

The cops like the front plates to bounce laser off of, NTTA likes them for people who run tolls, and the red light camera cites like them for evidence, so they'll probably stay.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
The cops like the front plates to bounce laser off of, NTTA likes them for people who run tolls, and the red light camera cites like them for evidence, so they'll probably stay.
The laser bouncing off the plate is just so the officer can testify in court that he actually put the laser on the vehicles front plate. It will bouce off the front bumper just as nicely.

As long as no one bitches if this law passes because we get fewer suspect license plate numbers and solve even LESS crimes I am okay with it.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
solve even LESS crimes
Is that even possible?

Kidding. Kind of.

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC View Post
Is that even possible?

Kidding. Kind of.
There is an open invitation for anyone to come ride out with one of my troops and see what non-traffic cops do everyday. Most cvivilains who do come away very pleasantly surprised.

<-- admits there alot of crimes that go unsolved, but balks at the people who claim no crime gets solved. We catch car and home burglars, recover stolen property, and arrest people with felony warrants for very serious crimes routinely.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Censored

Would a copy paste email, help? lol

Doors Done Rite
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Censored

Quote:
There is an open invitation for anyone to come ride out with one of my troops and see what non-traffic cops do everyday. Most cvivilains who do come away very pleasantly surprised.

<-- admits there alot of crimes that go unsolved, but balks at the people who claim no crime gets solved. We catch car and home burglars, recover stolen property, and arrest people with felony warrants for very serious crimes routinely.
So you are saying crime solving will drop because of no front plates?

Doors Done Rite
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger View Post
So you are saying crime solving will drop because of no front plates?

I guess you didn't read post #10, huh?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Actually, plates are still made in Huntsville by the prison. The company that was making the "designer plates" at myplates.com is already defunct . . . it took less than 2 months, LOL.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...122plates.html
Trust me, there is someone who makes money off of this racket as many times as this bill has come up and has been shot down. It could be the people who supply the metal or the paint or the clear coat but someone is making sure this doesn't pass every year.
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Censored

Quote:
I guess you didn't read post #10, huh?
lol sorry I did, but then someone was talking about the fight on our showroom floor, and I forgot about it.

You are saying that since there is not a plate in the front you could not easily identify a car? When you pull a LP# doesn't it give you make model color? I would think that is the first thing you look for, then take a closer look at the LP.

I think that is a weak (no offense) argument, when searching for criminals.

Doors Done Rite
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Token Troll

I know 3M is a big player because of that nice reflective film on every plate.

I can't think of a better way for the state to make money though. Drop literally half your cost in material and labor, but keep the same registration fee. Instant money.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Lifer

Makes no difference to me. I've never had a front license plate on any of my vehicles since day one. Been pulled over several times in my day. Never had a ticket or warning of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:49 PM
PAN

Quote:

When can I ride? Can I bring my AR? Can we go hunting hood rats?
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
"OMG That zombie is heading toward the door, KILL IT!!!"

Doors Done Rite
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
Makes no difference to me. I've never had a front license plate on any of my vehicles since day one. Been pulled over several times in my day. Never had a ticket or warning of any kind.
Been warned myself, but so far no ticket. Sure would be nice not to have the use no plate for an excuse to do other things.

For what its worth, I emailed my Texas representative.

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Trust me, there is someone who makes money off of this racket as many times as this bill has come up and has been shot down. It could be the people who supply the metal or the paint or the clear coat but someone is making sure this doesn't pass every year.
eh, I think they would want it to pass... The state/whoever will make more money since they will only have to supply one plate...You know damn well that registration charges aren't going to go down. lol

"Apres moi le deluge"

Last edited by jakesford; 01-13-2009 at 08:03 PM.
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger View Post
lol sorry I did, but then someone was talking about the fight on our showroom floor, and I forgot about it.

You are saying that since there is not a plate in the front you could not easily identify a car? When you pull a LP# doesn't it give you make model color? I would think that is the first thing you look for, then take a closer look at the LP.

I think that is a weak (no offense) argument, when searching for criminals.
Is this a trick question? My point is you reduce the chance of getting a plate by 50% if you remove front plates. Once you get the plate the chances are the same. BTW, I would bet there is about a 10% chance of solving crimes even with the plate since so many plates are not even registered to the right address, person, or anyone even remotely associated with the car. This is some of the reason so many people who have no ties to a car will use that car to committ the crime in the first place.

Remember, I am not saying changing the law is bad, I just asked people to not whine about the possibility that solving crimes may go down if this happens.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
Yes. No. No.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Where do I sign up?
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 PM
PAN

Lol! Awww come on Don...
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 PM
makin' bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
Also due to many places getting the in-car digital plate scanning equipment that immediately scans passing plates and alerts the officer if the car's registration or inspection (and coming soon, insurance) is expired, or if the registered owner has warrants, etc, we will never have this law passed.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Is this a trick question? My point is you reduce the chance of getting a plate by 50% if you remove front plates. Once you get the plate the chances are the same. BTW, I would bet there is about a 10% chance of solving crimes even with the plate since so many plates are not even registered to the right address, person, or anyone even remotely associated with the car. This is some of the reason so many people who have no ties to a car will use that car to committ the crime in the first place.

Remember, I am not saying changing the law is bad, I just asked people to not whine about the possibility that solving crimes may go down if this happens.
Then why cant putting the LP on your front windshield where its clearly visible be okay? Its still visible from the front.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up View Post
Where do I sign up?
x2

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Token Troll

So...what do these states do?

I'd be curious to see data that shows if one plate is truly a benefit. Last I checked, most cars I see pulled over have the cop behind them.

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous96'gt View Post
Then why cant putting the LP on your front windshield where its clearly visible be okay? Its still visible from the front.
LOL, kind of defeats the purpose if the person who has decided to commit a crime can just pull the LP off the dash while doing the crime, then put it back on the dash once he/she gets out of the area. Why not just stop requiring a front LP?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
LOL, kind of defeats the purpose if the person who has decided to commit a crime can just pull the LP off the dash while doing the crime, then put it back on the dash once he/she gets out of the area. Why not just stop requiring a front LP?
I always imagined if I was going to do anything criminal, I would have to make flip down plates that I could activate from inside the car.
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up View Post
I always imagined if I was going to do anything criminal, I would have to make flip down plates that I could activate from inside the car.
I have seen tape covering plates and cars with plates removed, but never a flip down plate. I wonder if it has actually been done before.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
I have seen tape covering plates and cars with plates removed, but never a flip down plate. I wonder if it has actually been done before.
Mythbusters did it.

post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Mythbusters did it.
Well there you go!

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Mythbusters did it.
Are you talking about this? Is said it worked, but was illegal (Duh!). So, they discounted it.

Myth statement Status Notes
A speed camera can be fooled if the license plate is switched while driving. Busted (unofficial) Rigging the license plate to flip before the camera shot allowed an inaccurate display of the real plate. However, this method is illegal and would most likely net a far greater fine than the speeding ticket itself, rendering the point moot.
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Lifer

post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Lifer

another one

post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Also due to many places getting the in-car digital plate scanning equipment that immediately scans passing plates and alerts the officer if the car's registration or inspection (and coming soon, insurance) is expired, or if the registered owner has warrants, etc, we will never have this law passed.

Stevo
yep, can't forget automated revenue. I guess it's nice to have a system to tell you who to pull over.
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post

Stevo
Which option would generate more revenue? Doing less to gain more > Spending some to make more

Though I do like the idea to get non-insured people off the road.

Doors Done Rite
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Censored

Quote:

No, not at all. When you are looking for someone that already commited a crime you already have there LP# make, model, year correct?

Doors Done Rite
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Lifer

Not to mention the new insurance database that the cops are cracking down on.....when they were talking about it on the news they were looking through their radar guns (assume they are magnified?? )and checking peoples front plates and then running them for insurance.

While they're at it they need to get rid of these stupid ass inspection and registration stickers and put them on the license plate instead of mucking up my windshield.

--wes
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman View Post

While they're at it they need to get rid of these stupid ass inspection and registration stickers and put them on the license plate instead of mucking up my windshield.

--wes

They used to put stickers on the upper right hand corner of plates...and plates used to be stolen
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
They used to put stickers on the upper right hand corner of plates...and plates used to be stolen
Imagine punishing people that break the law to make sure they don't do it in the future......Florida still does it......they somehow seem to manage without stickers all over the damn front window.

If Texas would get their heads out of their collective asses and maybe join the information age they could link all of these things together......but I'd say them being proactive is a pipe dream.

--wes
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman View Post
Imagine punishing people that break the law to make sure they don't do it in the future......Florida still does it......they somehow seem to manage without stickers all over the damn front window.

If Texas would get their heads out of their collective asses and maybe join the information age they could link all of these things together......but I'd say them being proactive is a pipe dream.

--wes
Exactly if they could link things together, we would need stickers on anything. Oh look even more money saved!

Doors Done Rite
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:26 PM
The Janitor

Quote:

AFAIK, but you are nonmilitary. You are a "civilian" as well, even wearing your badge.

If you were an MP you could talk all day long about civvies. Not to go off on a rant, but i get amused by the paramilitary jargon of cops now.
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Doughnut Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell View Post
AFAIK, but you are nonmilitary. You are a "civilian" as well, even wearing your badge.

If you were an MP you could talk all day long about civvies. Not to go off on a rant, but i get amused by the paramilitary jargon of cops now.
Shut up civilian!
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Lifer

I can tell you 3M has a HUGE part in getting this thing curb stomped every year. They make the reflective coating for the plates. One of thier lobbyists is a member of our mustang club down here in Austin and he was one of the guys they sent to squash this bill every year. He retired middle of last year though so maybe they'll send a greenhorn in his place and do a shitty job :crosses fingers:

-Herb-
03 Torch Red Mach 1
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Will never pass but creating things to talk about keeps em in a job, I guess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement