Obama will close Gitmo.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Obama will close Gitmo....

after he looks at each case and decides what to do. So he is going to issue an order to close Gitmo but will not actually close it until he decides each and every case? What if he decides that most or all need to be detained? Will he then decide to keep it open? Is this really a big enough deal to have this headline:

Advisers say Obama preparing to close Gitmo

By LARA JAKES, Associated Press Writer Lara Jakes, Associated Press Writer – 18 mins ago

AP – WASHINGTON – President-elect Barack Obama is preparing to issue an executive order his first week in office — and perhaps his first day — to close the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, according to two presidential transition team advisers.

It's unlikely the detention facility at the Navy base in Cuba will be closed anytime soon. In an interview last weekend, Obama said it would be "a challenge" to close it even within the first 100 days of his administration.

But the order, which one adviser said could be issued as early as Jan. 20, would start the process of deciding what to do with the estimated 250 al-Qaida and Taliban suspects and potential witnesses who are being held there. Most have not been charged with a crime.

The Guantanamo directive would be one of a series of executive orders Obama is planning to issue shortly after he takes office next Tuesday, according to the two advisers. Also expected is an executive order about certain interrogation methods, but details were not immediately available Monday.

The advisers spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the orders that have not yet been finalized.

Obama transition team spokeswoman Brooke Anderson declined comment Monday.

The two advisers said the executive order will direct the new administration to look at each of the cases of the Guantanamo detainees to see whether they can be released or if they should still be held — and if so, where.

Many of the Guantanamo detainees are cleared for release, and others could be sent back to their native countries and held there. But many nations have resisted Bush administration efforts to repatriate the prisoners back home. Both Obama advisers said it's hoped that nations that had initially resisted taking detainees will be more willing to do so after dealing with the new administration.

What remains the thorniest issue for Obama, the advisers said, is what to do with the rest of the prisoners — including at least 15 so-called "high value detainees" considered among the most dangerous there.

Detainees held on U.S. soil would have certain legal rights that they were not entitled to while imprisoned in Cuba. It's also not clear if they would face trial through the current military tribunal system, or in federal civilian courts, or though a to-be-developed legal system that would mark a hybrid of the two.

Where to imprison the detainees also is a problem.

Obama promised during the presidential campaign to shut Guantanamo, endearing him to constitutional law experts, civil libertarians and other critics who called the Bush administration detentions a violation of international law.

But he acknowledged in an interview Sunday that the process of closing the prison would be harder and longer than initially thought.

"That's a challenge," Obama said on ABC's "This Week." "I think it's going to take some time and our legal teams are working in consultation with our national security apparatus as we speak to help design exactly what we need to do.

"But I don't want to be ambiguous about this," he said. "We are going to close Guantanamo and we are going to make sure that the procedures we set up are ones that abide by our constitution."

President George W. Bush established military tribunals to prosecute detainees at Guantanamo. He also supports closing the prison, but strongly opposes bringing prisoners to the United States.

Lawmakers have moved to block transfer of the detainees to at least two potential and frequently discussed military facilities: an Army prison at Fr. Leavenworth, Kan., and a Navy brig in Charleston, S.C. A Marine Corps prison at Camp Pendleton in Southern California also is under consideration, a Pentagon official said.

Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., said Monday that "it's hard to show why terror suspects should be housed in Kansas."

"If the holding facility at Guantanamo Bay is closed, a new facility should be built, designed specifically to handle detainees," Brownback said in a statement.

A Pentagon team also has been looking at how to shut Guantanamo and move its detainees but spokesman Bryan Whitman did not immediately know Monday whether it was completed.

The executive order marks only a first step at what is likely to be a long legal process. Still, American Civil Liberties Union legislative director Caroline Fredrickson called "extremely meaningful" even if the Guantanamo prison can't be closed immediately.

"It's clear that there is a process of time that will be necessary to close it properly, to make sure that human rights and respected and security is protected," Fredrickson said. "But the fact that it's set in motion is extremely good news."

Isn't this just smoke and mirrors to appease the far left idiots that got him elected, saying you are going to close Gitmo in one breath and then saying it probabaly won't close anytime soon in the next? The insinuation is that Bush had never thought about closing it or that he wanted to keep it open without good reason. This goes to show me that Obama has seen the security briefings on the people in there and has realized that there are bad guys there that cannot be immediatley released but he has to appease his far left supporters.

<-- waits for the "idiot 3" to chime in and think this is some major accomplishment by Obama. LOL

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Token Troll

All I know is with the crap he's doing, I'm glad I don't live in any highly populated city.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Worship me

Just wait until one of the animals who gets out of there murders a few hundred people. It's going to be interesting to see the spin doctoring when that day comes.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:16 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
All I know is with the crap he's doing, I'm glad I don't live in any highly populated city.
Roger that. I'll be staying out of any building that is 25 story +.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Lifer

Its not what you do, its what you say. If he says he's going to close it, he's going to close it. Come on man, get with the program... everything Obama says it true...

They just need to toss them out of a C-130 over the Gulf of Mexico... Airborne Style...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Just wait until one of the animals who gets out of there murders a few hundred people. It's going to be interesting to see the spin doctoring when that day comes.
If he does close Gitmo quickly and start treating terrorists like decent human beings I expect a major attack on our soil within the first 12-18 months of his administration. I hope it doesn't happen, but I fear it will.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
If he does close Gitmo quickly and start treating terrorists like decent human beings I expect a major attack on our soil within the first 12-18 months of his administration. I hope it doesn't happen, but I fear it will.
I think that's coming regardless of what he does. Al qaeda will consider it his "indoctrination" into the presidency. They have to test him, to see what they're dealing with. I'm just wondering how big it will be...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Num say'n? (tm)

Quote:
Is this really a big enough deal to have this headline...
Anything Obama does is newsworthy; he's the newest messiah.

DFWMustangs.net
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Yep, there will be cries of horror and outrage from the very same people that wanted it closed in the first place. Ask michael dukakis how willie horton worked out for him.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
CJD
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135 View Post
Anything Obama does is newsworthy; he's the newest messiah.
Him and Tim Tebow...
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
What are they going to do with the ones that their own country does not want them?
Hell, we can just put them in Detroit. No one will know the difference.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
What are they going to do with the ones that their own country does not want them?
I think the Messiah is starting to realize he will be completely responsible for them if he closed it immediately, hence his slamming on the brakes about immeidate closure.

The books his staff will inevitably write about these first few months of his term should be interesting.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Dan View Post
They just need to toss them out of a C-130 over the Gulf of Mexico... Airborne Style...

I think i know where to find one
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

We can close it no problem, just need to convert a decommissioned aircraft carrier (USS Kitty Hawk) into a floating prison first.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0LiterRiceEater View Post
I think i know where to find one
lmao... now were talking...
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Bullet Sponge

Could just incenerate Gitmo and all the miscreants within. Fast, affordable and Gitmo would be closed
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost View Post
Could just incenerate Gitmo and all the miscreants within. Fast, affordable and Gitmo would be closed

Quick, efficient, cheap,

ME LIKEY!!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 PM
PAN

Quote:

I almost hope it does. I don't wish anyone to die but I would abso-fucking-lutely love to see how he reacts, and then to see how the media reacts. Bet your ass if he did exactly what W did it would be a love fest and the bestest reaction to an affront evar!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Lifer

I have to say ditto on just about every post above..lol.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Resident Epicurean

I bet he changes his mind after this....

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=380602
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I bet he changes his mind after this....

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=380602
All it takes is just one of those crazy fuckers to pull a OKC-type bombing...

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Lifer

Dump em in the ocean, close the base, tell the world they were sent home last month.

"Oh, you guys didn't cover that? Well they're gone."
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:54 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

The Cuban border still has a large area saturated with land mines that need clearing. Could be a good oppurtunity! Tell them Osama is in the little pink house on the right with their 27 virgins.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Bullet Sponge

You know, PETA should jump on this opportunity. I got the idea when reading the sea kittens thread. Stop testing on all those animals and use Gitmo fuckers. Send a monkey into space? Nope. Hadji. Shampoo needs testing? Hadji

Less than lethal rounds? Hadji

Smith and Wesson has a new weapon and they are out of ballistics gel? Well, you get the idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement