Bought a Japanese car? Then you're not a real American! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
LS1 Fighter

Bought a Japanese car? Then you're not a real American!

At least, that's what this moron thinks:

SAVANNAH, Ga. – A Ford dealer angered over the proposed bailout of U.S. automakers blames the nation's sour economy on Congress and criticized buyers of Japanese cars, calling the vehicles "rice ready ... not road ready" in a radio ad.

O.C. Welch, who owns a dealership near Savannah in Hardeeville, S.C., began airing the minute-long ad on a dozen stations in the area over the weekend. The ad sounds more like a talk-radio tirade than a sales pitch.

"All you people that buy all your Toyotas and send that money to Japan, you know, when you don't have a job to make your Toyota car payment, don't come crying to me," Welch says in the ad. "All those cars are rice ready. They're not road ready."

Floyd Mori, executive director of the Japanese American Citizens League, said Welch's remarks evoke anti-Asian sentiments often aimed at Japanese and Chinese immigrants to the U.S. from the 1930s through World War II. He also noted many Japanese automakers' cars are manufactured in America.

"It's a blatant, ignorant, racist remark from somebody who should know better," Mori said.

Toyota spokesman Xavier Dominicis said the company's cars consistently receive high marks for quality. The automaker employs 36,600 Americans, he said, and about 60 percent of Toyota vehicles sold in the U.S. were manufactured here.

"How do you tell a worker in Kentucky who's producing a Toyota that his job is worth less than another American autoworker's?" Dominicis said.

The car dealer, though, said Tuesday he had received more positive calls than negative ones. His dealership sold 15 new cars Saturday — half of them to people drawn to the lot by the ad, he said.

Welch said he's mostly mad at politicians, blasting them in his ad as only being good for "slinging mud and spending our tax dollars." He said the government should offer tax incentives for consumers to buy new cars rather than spend money bailing out Ford, General Motors and Chrysler.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081209/.../angry_auto_ad

Can't beat them, Join their message board !!

I m5...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Worship me

The idiot at Toyota would have a point if all the parts were made here, they aren't.

I do like how they have to try to work racism into the mix though. I mean, if you criticize Japanese products you are obviously a racist.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Time Served

Ford or nothing for me

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:39 PM
We lost one.....

Race card, don't leave home without it.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Lifer

i want the best product for my money, i don't care who makes it. that makes me a real American.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
The idiot at Toyota would have a point if all the parts were made here, they aren't.

I do like how they have to try to work racism into the mix though. I mean, if you criticize Japanese products you are obviously a racist.
calling it "rice ready" is somewhat racist. it's like if you referred to a car made in Mexico as "bean ready"
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
No.

I buy the product with the better quality or that meets the standards I want. American cars do not do that for me. Imports do. That's why they're the only cars I've owned.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENGRAM
calling it "rice ready" is somewhat racist. it's like if you referred to a car made in Mexico as "bean ready"
I think that would be the F-150 with fade paint job and mirror tint...
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor
No.

I buy the product with the better quality or that meets the standards I want. American cars do not do that for me. Imports do. That's why they're the only cars I've owned.
And that has what to do with what I said? It's a fact that 50-60% of the parts used by domestic Honda and Toyota plants are not made here. And thus the wages for making those parts go off shore. Whereas 90% of parts used to assemble a GM vehicle are made here and a lot of them are made in non union shops.

I don't care what you buy or why you buy it, hell its a free country, I just don't like it when people in the media try to blow smoke up our asses.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Worship me

Quote:
I guess if I call a German car a kraut mobile that is racist too. Oh wait, the Germans are white and we all know it is impossible to be racist against white people.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Never settle always excel

Joseph Stalin once stated "

America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within"

We have been doing ourselves in for quite sometime, we allow foreigners to buy land, a large portion of our society lacks a moral code( big business especially), the patriotism lasts about as long as a parade, think 911 everyone had a flag flying, how many have one flying today like they did in the days after the 911 attacks?

We can't blame just consumers, they don't allow for the importation of goods, our government does. You can't just blame the government we all buy stuff made in China( you're probably typing on a chinese keyboard, I am) That guy complains about Japanese cars but I'd bet money he shops at Walmart and every computer in his dealership has parts from China in them, why isn't he hollering about that.

Our society is much like the majority of members on this board, (moral?) lots of people here are perverted look at your posts, requires instant gratification(own a credit card?) and don't get me started on perverted religious leaders or closet gay politicians.

I don't own a credit card or post up with perverted comments but I shop Walmart like no ones business, so I am guilty of helping our country undermine itself but then so are all of you, you just aren't lucid about your own behavior.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I guess if I call a German car a kraut mobile that is racist too. Oh wait, the Germans are white and we all know it is impossible to be racist against white people.
that would be prejudice as well...

and, BTW, i'm of mostly Irish descent. people have been racist to/about us for about as long as we've been around. yep, racist against the whitest of the white.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Token Union Member

Quote:
And that has what to do with what I said? It's a fact that 50-60% of the parts used by domestic Honda and Toyota plants are not made here. And thus the wages for making those parts go off shore. Whereas 90% of parts used to assemble a GM vehicle are made here and a lot of them are made in non union shops.

I don't care what you buy or why you buy it, hell its a free country, I just don't like it when people in the media try to blow smoke up our asses.
It's a shame the bias agenda media has succeeded in convincing the American public that American Cars are inferior to their foreign competition. That lie couldn't be any further from the truth. The big 3 all build cars that beat Foreign Car Manufactors in gas mileage and build quality. Not to mention that GM and Ford produce more Hybrid models than Honda and Nissan. Or that Ford invested 22 billion in research and development of technologies such as Eco Boost, flex fuel, clean diesel, hybrids, plug in hybrids and hydrogen cars between 2005 and 2007.

For all you die hard Foreign car lovers sleep on this. After 9/11 the Big 3 and Harley Davidson donated over 40 million dollars worth of cash and emergency vehicles to assist the recovery effort. Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Audi, Subaru, and Mitsubishi, didnt give a dime.

TRAIN TRASH it's like WHITE TRASH but with money.

My other vehicle is a Locomotive.

Don't cupple up without protection.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Worship me

Quote:
that would be prejudice as well...

and, BTW, i'm of mostly Irish descent. people have been racist to/about us for about as long as we've been around. yep, racist against the whitest of the white.
We are talking about being racist. If I call a car a kraut-mobile, using your logic I then hate German people. Is that not your logic?
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Lifer

Knowing that auto comapnies need all the business they can get i think Americans should honestly think of spending their money with American Automakers. Yes they did dig this hole themselves but lots of American jobs rely on them. Not saying you shouldnt buy a foreign car just think that supporting your own economy in tough times should definately be considered. When your neighbors are struggling and losing their jobs left and right you tend to understand what buying american is all about.

98 Brokra
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
We are talking about being racist. If I call a car a kraut-mobile, using your logic I then hate German people. Is that not your logic?
no. my logic is that you are making an assumptive statement about an entire race based on stereotype (they don't all eat sauerkraut) and/or using it as an ethnic slur. that is racial prejudice and fits the racism definition.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Worship me

Quote:
no. my logic is that you are making an assumptive statement about an entire race based on stereotype (they don't all eat sauerkraut) and/or using it as an ethnic slur. that is racial prejudice and fits the racism definition.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism
I don't understand, what is bad about eating kraut or beans or rice? That's where the logic falls apart. I like cheese, I guess when I call Green Bay fans cheeseheads that means I am some sort of racist against people from Wisconsin. It has nothing to do with a certain area being known for that kind of food, it means I hate people! RAWR!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I don't understand, what is bad about eating kraut or beans or rice? That's where the logic falls apart. I like cheese, I guess when I call Green Bay fans cheeseheads that means I am some sort of racist against people from Wisconsin. It has nothing to do with a certain area being known for that kind of food, it means I hate people! RAWR!
nothing wrong with eating sauerkraut, beans, rice, or cheese. the problem though is using those terms as a derogatory ethnic slur, which is exactly what the Ford dealer did (and also what you did when you used the term kraut mobile).

it's not about the word, it is about the way it is used.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
nothing wrong with eating sauerkraut, beans, rice, or cheese. the problem though is using those terms as a derogatory ethnic slur, which is exactly what the Ford dealer did (and also what you did when you used the term kraut mobile).

did you just call me a cracker? I think you did! Quit crying about fucking racism shit! You can call me a cornfed cracker hillybob ass whiteboy all day long and say i eat dog shit but i dont really care. Why should the asian folks care what that stupid ass said. I'll tell you why because they want to make a big scene just like every other minority group in America.

98 Brokra
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~
did you just call me a cracker? I think you did! Quit crying about fucking racism shit! You can call me a cornfed cracker hillybob ass whiteboy all day long and say i eat dog shit but i dont really care. Why should the asian folks care what that stupid ass said. I'll tell you why because they want to make a big scene just like every other minority group in America.
some, including myself, are not easily offended but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take the others into consideration. what it really boils down to is that the Ford dealer had no retort except for name-calling. surely your parents raised you to understand that name-calling is wrong?

edit: what Floyd Mori did was lob an insult right back at him by saying that he made a "blatant, ignorant, racist remark". to me, that is childish as well. he should have just let it slide. still, he is right that it was a racist statement. that's the point i was trying to make.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor
No.

That's funny. I share the opposite view. Would never own an import.

I'll relay your lack of quality message to all the Cummins guys with 300K miles or my parents Suburban with 200K miles. Or my buddies '91 Mustang with 225K miles without a rebuild. Or my 17 y/o Ranger with the factory fuel pump, water pump, etc..

Lack of quality ..Hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Lifer

Buy American Goddammit!!!! What's wrong with you?

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Lifer

My wife and I bought nothing but American from 1979 until 1987. A new car every year between the two of us. Americans were building pure shit during this time, when the "big three" owned the world. Instead of building better cars, they fucked us over and took the money instead. That alone, allowed the Japs to get a toe-hold here in our market like never before. I bought new Acura in 1987, and felt like a dumb-shit for not doing it sooner. Patriotism goes both ways...why should I have blindly bought a piece of shit out of patriotism, when they put forth no effort to build a better car for me?

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 08:15 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

If Toyota can build a car in Japan, ship it 6500 miles, pay a tariff and still be higher quality at a lower price than a domestic I'm buying Japanese. What's going to happen when they really start taking advantage of NAFTA and build cars in Mexico?

<--- Cummins powered truck, 2ZRFE powered Toyota car owner

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Genetically Blessed

Isolationism ftw!!!!!!
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Isolationism ftw!!!!!!
They teach you that at McCombs? I'm dragging my kid outta there!

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
Americans were building pure shit during this time, when the "big three" owned the world. Instead of building better cars, they fucked us over and took the money instead. That alone, allowed the Japs to get a toe-hold here in our market like never before.
I'm gonna have to agree with you again. Seems that's around the time the Super CEOs and their lapdog accountants with their ledgers made their "multi million dollar decisions" of..."fuck em. sell em half the burger at twice the price with shitty service. they'll pay." That attitude among all American industries opened up many doors for outside competition.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
I'm gonna have to agree with you again. Seems that's around the time the Super CEOs and their lapdog accountants with their ledgers made their "multi million dollar decisions" of..."fuck em. sell em half the burger at twice the price with shitty service. they'll pay." That attitude among all American industries opened up many doors for outside competition.
It kills me, too. Americans could have wrapped up the auto industry world-wide, had they listened to a few smart people. Detroit was approached first on the robotics technology, and chose to disregard it. The gentleman (whose name eludes me) that came up with this (an American , no less), then went to Japan and sold his ideas to Toyota and Honda.

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Worship me

Quote:

No its about you making assumptions based on your tender feelings. And that's the problem with this country, everything is about tender feelings.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
No its about you making assumptions based on your tender feelings. And that's the problem with this country, everything is about tender feelings.
excellent comeback!
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Worship me

I agree, I thought it was pretty good.
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:35 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
It kills me, too. Americans could have wrapped up the auto industry world-wide, had they listened to a few smart people. Detroit was approached first on the robotics technology, and chose to disregard it. The gentleman (whose name eludes me) that came up with this (an American , no less), then went to Japan and sold his ideas to Toyota and Honda.
Deming taught them the "Lean" philosophy that yielded the Toyota Production System. I believe this was the most monumental failure of the American car manufacturers. From what I've read the American Car Manufacturers wanted nothing to do with his "continuous improvement" ideology so he took it to Japan where it was embraced.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang
Deming taught them the "Lean" philosophy that yielded the Toyota Production System. I believe this was the most monumental failure of the American car manufacturers. From what I've read the American Car Manufacturers wanted nothing to do with his "continuous improvement" ideology so he took it to Japan where it was embraced.
Thank you. That's the gentleman I was talking about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement