Ohio is attempting to call a Constitutional Convention - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Ohio is attempting to call a Constitutional Convention

Anyone heard much about this?

ACTION: Ohio is attempting to call a Constitutional Convention

From Robert Owens, Delaware County, Ohio

This is a call to immediate action. When you stop reading this, please stop what you are doing and take action immediately. Here is what is at stake: The U.S. Constitution. Forces are at work to get an article 5 Constitutional Convention. HJR 8 was introduced in the Ohio House on Dec. 3. It is up for a vote on Wednesday Dec 10. If passed, Ohio could be considered the 33rd state to call for a Convention. Only 34 States are needed. Immediate action is needed.

Here are the steps you need to take: (3 simple steps)

1. Get educated on the issue. There is a good 30 minute presentation from 2 states legislators that gives you a good primer. It is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za8_p...eature=related

2. Take action. E-Mail AND call your State Rep and EACH AND EVERY Co-sponsor and member of the Judiciary subcommittee.

Sample E-mail:

Please vote NO on HJR 8. While I support having a balanced budget, I firmly oppose a Constitutional Convention. Once an Article V convention is called, Congress, not the states will determine how delegates to the convention are chosen and the Convention itself will have no legal limitations on its scope or outcome no matter what the initial intention.

With our current political climate, I'm afraid any such convention would result in the Constitution and Bill of Rights our Founding Fathers gave us being disregarded.

Please use your influence to OPPOSE HJR 8.

Thank you.

Name, address, phone number, e-mail

Here is where to send it:

Link to Judiciary Committee Members: Click here

3. Spead the message far and wide. E-mail and call your firends. Network on myspace and facebook. If your friends never take action, encourage them to break that habbit this one time. Our Constitution is under assault!

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 PM
T-MINUS

Some of your links need to be updated..

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93coupelx
Please vote NO on HJR 8. While I support having a balanced budget, I firmly oppose a Constitutional Convention. Once an Article V convention is called, Congress, not the states will determine how delegates to the convention are chosen and the Convention itself will have no legal limitations on its scope or outcome no matter what the initial intention.
I don't understand your concern above. Any amendments would be approved by the states. The process is below.

Quote:
The second method prescribed is for a Constitutional Convention to be called by two-thirds of the legislatures of the States, and for that Convention to propose one or more amendments. These amendments are then sent to the states to be approved by three-fourths of the legislatures or conventions.
http://www.usconstitution.net/constam.html

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Banned

what are they trying to get passed?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR
what are they trying to get passed?
Ohio legislature is trying to pass a resolution to call for a constitutional convention. Which makes me think, the only people should send an email would people that live in Ohio.

I personal think that a constiutional amendment to limit borrowing by the federal government would be a great idea. I would like to see a super majority to spend more than receipts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDevilDog
Ohio legislature is trying to pass a resolution to call for a constitutional convention. Which makes me think, the only people should send an email would people that live in Ohio.

I personal think that a constiutional amendment to limit borrowing by the federal government would be a great idea. I would like to see a super majority to spend more than receipts.
I should have been more specific,

What will the con-con try to pass?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR
I should have been more specific,

What will the con-con try to pass?
Sorry.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/res.cfm?ID=127_HJR_8

Quote:
First, the amendment shall require the President to submit and the Congress to adopt only balanced budgets for all federal programs and agencies, except in times of war.

Second, the amendment shall grant the President the authority to disapprove any item or items in any bill presented by the Congress to the President in addition to the President's authority to disapprove entire bills pursuant to Article I, Section 7 of the United States Constitution.

Third, the amendment shall require the President to submit and the Congress to adopt budgets for all federal programs and agencies on a biennial rather than annual basis; and be it further
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:32 AM
PAN

No one knows what they would pass, which is the point. If this occurs they have carte-blanche to do anything they please with no repercussions or oversight. They could pass a law saying that you have to paint your car bright pink and you'd have to do it.

Which is the problem. Depending on whom is on the panel and their politicial proclivities there is simply no telling what you would end up with...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM
duh...duh....duh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_convention

Just incase I am not the only one who did not know wtf a contitutional convention was.

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 12:54 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Yea a Constitutional Convention is a bad idea. We could end up with an entirely new Constitution being submitted to the states for approval.

However we do need either some sort of balanced budget amendment or at least a line item veto, of appropriation bills, for the President.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Lifer

Texas citizens need to jump on board with the idea of leaving the union now. The new Texas constitution has already been ratified in one county, just have to spread the word out and make it happen. We have the infrastructure and economy to do it.

Newbies, please watch THIS before posting.
www.Lewisvillefishing.net
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466
No one knows what they would pass, which is the point. If this occurs they have carte-blanche to do anything they please with no repercussions or oversight. They could pass a law saying that you have to paint your car bright pink and you'd have to do it.

Which is the problem. Depending on whom is on the panel and their politicial proclivities there is simply no telling what you would end up with...
3/4 of the states have to approve anything coming out of the CC. I still don't see why all the tin foil.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
3/4 of the states have to approve anything coming out of the CC. I still don't see why all the tin foil.
Because these assholes passing judgement on it are giving away Billions like it's candy. I don't trust them I guess is what it boils down to for me. Our constitution is great if they would follow it/enforce it. If you need to amend it there is a process.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 06:21 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaithis
Texas citizens need to jump on board with the idea of leaving the union now. The new Texas constitution has already been ratified in one county, just have to spread the word out and make it happen. We have the infrastructure and economy to do it.
Link? What the hell...

Quote:

Wheres the red/blue maps from the election?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
interesting

line-item vetos have been ruled unconstitutional in the past

it would be odd to change that by creating a new amendment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement