Rod Dreher: Ron Paul, if only we listened - DFWstangs Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
93coupelx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Commiefornia
Posts: 1,152
Rod Dreher: Ron Paul, if only we listened

Most won't like this article. Thought I would share.

Rod Dreher: Ron Paul, if only we listened

06:21 PM CST on Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I didn't vote for Ron Paul in the Republican primary (I was a Mike Huckabee man), nor did I write him in on Election Day (I penciled in farmer-poet Wendell Berry). But no Texan this year did more good for conservatism and his country than the congressman from the coast.

Lord knows there was no Republican in the 2008 campaign who talked straighter.

Dr. Paul – he's a physician – never had a chance, of course. He is too peculiar in his opinions and doesn't know how to spin like a TV slick. What he had was ideas, integrity and authenticity. On the most critical challenges facing America, Dr. Paul was more right than the well-funded GOP regulars who bigfooted the campaign trail.

His best moment came in a May debate aired on Fox News. Dr. Paul asserted that too much U.S. meddling in the Middle East invites terrorist blowback – a conclusion shared by the 9/11 commission and former CIA bin Laden unit chief Michael Scheuer. Rudy Giuliani pounced, accusing Dr. Paul of trying to blame America for the Sept. 11 attacks.

But Dr. Paul's point – lost on the demagogic New York mayor – was simply that America should rethink its role in Iraq and the region. "We don't understand the irrationality of Middle Eastern politics," he said in the debate.

Who can doubt it today, given an Iraq war debacle conceived and executed by a president and an elite team blinded by ideology? The Iraq war did deep damage to our military, our economy and our prestige – and it has destroyed the Republican Party's credibility on national security issues.

Ron Paul, who has always stood against U.S. imperial overreach, was right about the Iraq war. And that's not the only thing he saw that most Republicans did not.

His libertarian economic views are far from mainstream. For example, he's against income taxes, period, and believes the U.S. should go back on the gold standard. Eccentricities like this keep him from being taken seriously.

But the truth is, if U.S. economic policy looked a lot more like Ron Paul's ideal than what we've had these past decades, the nation wouldn't be tottering on the financial abyss. Dr. Paul has long argued that an economy built on easy credit, insatiable consumption and deficit spending is a time bomb. He backs a national economic model based on savings, investment and production.

An economy that depends so heavily on government intervention to keep it afloat is one that creates of necessity an ever more powerful state. The nationalization of the banking sector only increases the power of the central government and decreases liberty. Dr. Paul warned for years against what we're seeing happen today. But nobody – including me – listened to the old crank.

How much better off would America be today if we had? We'll never know. Poor us.

It's not true, really, that nobody listened. Dr. Paul had a relatively small but intensely devoted following and raised astonishing amounts of campaign cash for his outsider presidential bid. Unfortunately, that enthusiasm didn't amount to much of anything in the primaries. So much for the Ron Paul Revolution, right?

Maybe not. The same GOP establishment that mocked and reviled Dr. Paul now lies shattered. Who believes in this Republican Party anymore? The party destroyed itself with its own unprincipled recklessness, both in foreign and fiscal policy. And it has ruined its reputation among the young – the most ardent of Dr. Paul's supporters, incidentally – who are far more likely to identify with the Democrats.

Out of this destruction, some creative young conservatives may rise up and decide to take back the Republican Party. Perhaps they'll run against the overweening power of the federal government and in favor of decentralizing power (but unlike today's Republicans, they'll actually mean it). Maybe they'll fight for an America that lives responsibly, within its natural limits both overseas and at home. And maybe, just maybe, they might make the Republican Party worth following again.

If that day comes, it will be thanks to the lifelong labors of Ron Paul and his 2008 campaign based on ideas. If those ideas germinate into genuine reform and restoration of sanity in our government, America will look back on Dr. Paul as a gift from Texas and a worthy nominee as Dallas Morning News Texan of the Year.

And having once given the nation George W. Bush – and given him to our countrymen good and hard – we Texans sure as hell owe them one.
93coupelx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:33 PM
makin' bacon
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Longview,TX
Posts: 5,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93coupelx
(I penciled in farmer-poet Wendell Berry)
Lost all credibility here. Another ignorant dumbfuck that rather throw away his vote than cast a vote for, at minimum, the lesser evil of two possible candidates..

"If I can't have my guy in office, fuck 'em."

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky


Stevo is offline  
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Lost all credibility here. Another ignorant dumbfuck that rather throw away his vote than cast a vote for, at minimum, the lesser evil of two possible candidates..

"If I can't have my guy in office, fuck 'em."

Stevo
You're right on one thing, voting for the lesser of two evils is definitely the bare minimum someone can do. However, voting for a candidate, a party, who would actually be helpful to this country is doing infinitely more.

Wendell Berry isn't a cook or a moron, just fwiw, http://www.oriononline.org/pages/oo/...ica/Berry.html
exlude is offline  
 
post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Lifer
 
46Tbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 33,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Lost all credibility here. Another ignorant dumbfuck that rather throw away his vote than cast a vote for, at minimum, the lesser evil of two possible candidates..

"If I can't have my guy in office, fuck 'em."

Stevo
AGAIN, this is a line of reasoning that I do not comprehend. HOW can you say that voting for a losing candidate is an ignorant act?

If that's the case, everyone that didn't vote for Obama is ignorant. Whether McCain was Third party or Second party, doesn't matter - if you voted for him, you didn't vote for the winner, therefore you're a dumbfuck. Please explain that logic.

The reason the Republicans didn't win is because they have no fresh ideas and no cohesive plan of action on ANY agenda item. The Democrats did (Change aka "not a Republican") and that's all it took to win. That's sad. Maybe it's time to consider that the same old stale shit isn't going to work anymore.

Ron Paul will never win, his ideas are so revolutionary that well-financed voters will never vote for him at the risk of their investment strategies, and the poor are too fucking dumb to know what he's talking about.
46Tbird is offline  
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Lost all credibility here. Another ignorant dumbfuck that rather throw away his vote than cast a vote for, at minimum, the lesser evil of two possible candidates..

"If I can't have my guy in office, fuck 'em."

Stevo
Voting for the lesser of two evils is what got us where we are today. If you did not vote for the person you thought should be president then you did not do your job.

When you vote, you aren't playing pick the winner. There are more then two candidates.

It is ignorant shit like "voting for the lesser of two evils" that keeps this a two party system controlled by lawyer/politicians who could give a shit about the constitution.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South of the Red River
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Another ignorant dumbfuck that rather throw away his vote than cast a vote for, at minimum, the lesser evil of two possible candidates..

Stevo
"Lesser of two evils..." Hows that working out for ya?

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
black01gt is offline  
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Lifer
 
tenacious j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: arlington
Posts: 2,198
i am reading ron paul's book right now. he seems like a pretty smart dude.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
tenacious j is offline  
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:40 PM
makin' bacon
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Longview,TX
Posts: 5,752
These posts are pure comedy. If there are only two candidates that have a real chance at being elected, and one is 90% against my morals and beliefs, and the other is only 45% against my beliefs, I'll go with the lesser of the two evils, and be happy knowing it could be far worse. I choose to be realistic and put my vote where it will have the best chance to help my family and myself, instead of trying to make a political statement with it.

Dreamers and romantics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
"Lesser of two evils..." Hows that working out for ya?
I can sleep soundly at night knowing the political party I voted for and belong to isn't about to turn my country into a socialist shithole, can you?

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky


Stevo is offline  
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
These posts are pure comedy. If there are only two candidates that have a real chance at being elected, and one is 90% against my morals and beliefs, and the other is only 45% against my beliefs, I'll go with the lesser of the two evils, and be happy knowing it could be far worse. I choose to be realistic and put my vote where it will have the best chance to help my family and myself, instead of trying to make a political statement with it.

Dreamers and romantics...



I can sleep soundly at night knowing the political party I voted for and belong to isn't about to turn my country into a socialist shithole, can you?

Stevo
The only reason other parties dont have a "real chance" is because far too many people think like you.
exlude is offline  
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
The only reason other parties dont have a "real chance" is because far too many people think like you.
x2. My point exactly.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South of the Red River
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
I can sleep soundly at night knowing the political party I voted for and belong to isn't about to turn my country into a socialist shithole, can you?

Stevo
Now that's comedy. I'm not OWNED by a political party. But I voted for republican Ron Paul. I sleep soundly at night knowing I did my best to avoid this clusterfuck and did not compromise my principles. Did you?

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
black01gt is offline  
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South of the Red River
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
The only reason other parties dont have a "real chance" is because far too many people think like you.
Yep.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
black01gt is offline  
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Lifer
 
tenacious j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: arlington
Posts: 2,198
i guess i would rather be a dreamer and a romantic than play follow the leader my whole life.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
tenacious j is offline  
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 06:15 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
Now that's comedy. I'm not OWNED by a political party. But I voted for republican Ron Paul. I sleep soundly at night knowing I did my best to avoid this clusterfuck and did not compromise my principles. Did you?
Ummm, I thought you weren't voting?

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
93coupelx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Commiefornia
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j
i am reading ron paul's book right now. he seems like a pretty smart dude.

I read revolution manifesto and foreign policy of freedom. He makes alot of sense. Both books were able to keep my attention. Getting most of America to read a book on Politics or change their short sighted mentality, there in lies the problem.

If the American people ever allow the banks to control the issuance of their currency... the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property, until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

- Thomas Jefferson
93coupelx is offline  
post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South of the Red River
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
Ummm, I thought you weren't voting?
Come on Vert. Your memory is worse than mine. There were numerous post from me about how I voted for RP in the primaries. When he was railroaded I was done because I wasn't supporting a "lesser of evils". But I did cast my vote. Wisely IMO.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
black01gt is offline  
post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 AM
makin' bacon
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Longview,TX
Posts: 5,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
The only reason other parties dont have a "real chance" is because far too many people think like you.

You mean realistically? Yeah, you are right, and I'll work on that.

Let me ask you this, how long do we give Obama and his likes political positions in the name of raising a third party as per what happened with Ross Perot/Clinton/Bush Sr.? 4 years? Decades? Centuries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
Now that's comedy. I'm not OWNED by a political party. But I voted for republican Ron Paul. I sleep soundly at night knowing I did my best to avoid this clusterfuck and did not compromise my principles. Did you?
You decided to either not vote or voted for Obama, and you claim you did your best to avoid a "clusterfuck" and not compromise? Yeah, okay.

By the way, I wouldn't claim to being owned by the democrats either. Lemme know how that "Change you can believe in?" works out for you.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky


Stevo is offline  
post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Lifer
 
46Tbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 33,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Let me ask you this, how long do we give Obama and his likes political positions in the name of raising a third party as per what happened with Ross Perot/Clinton/Bush Sr.? 4 years? Decades? Centuries?
Not sure if you're aware, but having a two-party system ("real chance" parties as you call them) is not dictated in the Constitution or any other founding document. The intent was always to have multiple viewpoints (not just two, diametrically opposed and stupid ones) that would try to raise voter support. Now that voter support means less and less - and corporate support means more and more - we are stuck with two power and money greedy parties that both suck. Something has to give. Why not now?

Funny that your conscious decision to vote for "the lesser of two evils" was completely trumped by a flood of morons that voted for "the black guy" to see history made.

Screw that, I'll be voting for the candidate that I support from now on, not the candidate that has a "real chance" of beating someone that I think is worse than they are. No wonder America is in the shitter....
46Tbird is offline  
post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
AGAIN, this is a line of reasoning that I do not comprehend. HOW can you say that voting for a losing candidate is an ignorant act?

If that's the case, everyone that didn't vote for Obama is ignorant. Whether McCain was Third party or Second party, doesn't matter - if you voted for him, you didn't vote for the winner, therefore you're a dumbfuck. Please explain that logic.

The reason the Republicans didn't win is because they have no fresh ideas and no cohesive plan of action on ANY agenda item. The Democrats did (Change aka "not a Republican") and that's all it took to win. That's sad. Maybe it's time to consider that the same old stale shit isn't going to work anymore.

Ron Paul will never win, his ideas are so revolutionary that well-financed voters will never vote for him at the risk of their investment strategies, and the poor are too fucking dumb to know what he's talking about.
How did you get "voting for a losing candidate" from voting for a person who has no chance of winning?

By that logic voting for Ronald Reagan is okay, because he has no chance of winning but would have been a better choice than McCain or Obama.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
Come on Vert. Your memory is worse than mine. There were numerous post from me about how I voted for RP in the primaries. When he was railroaded I was done because I wasn't supporting a "lesser of evils". But I did cast my vote. Wisely IMO.
So voting in the primary but not in the actual election is voting? Sounds like a school play ground tactic of playing while things are going well, but if it turns sour the poor loser bows out before the game ends and claims he played the game, in other words RP idiot supporter logic.

< --- did not call all RP supporters idiots.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
post #21 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
The only reason other parties dont have a "real chance" is because far too many people think like you.
You seem to be going awfully close to the liberal logic of "if you don't think like me you are stupid."

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
post #22 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j
i am reading ron paul's book right now. he seems like a pretty smart dude.
I don't think anyone has said he isn't smart, just that he is too wacky to be taken seriously, or as the author of the article said "Eccentricities... keep him from being taken seriously." (My edit added)

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
post #23 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:30 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
You seem to be going awfully close to the liberal logic of "if you don't think like me you are stupid."
Well, I know you and I are going to differ on this point, but I'll be honest and say I don't think his standpoint is the smartest way to view it. But at its rawest, what I said is true, no matter the reasoning or logical you support it with. Reps and Dems are two insanely dominant parties due to the fact that people don't won't to vote for candidates of thirds parties for fear their vote won't count. Of course, corporate contributions complicate this.

Given that, I was trying to be slightly snide towards him after he called me a dreamer, romantic, and unrealistic.
exlude is offline  
post #24 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
You seem to be going awfully close to the liberal logic of "if you don't think like me you are stupid."
Are you saying you don't mind people voting for someone they don’t really want to be president? Aren’t we really just playing “Pick the winner” then? What is the point of voting?

Voting for the lesser of two evils makes you responsible for putting someone evil in the White House, doesn’t it? What are you saying with your vote: “I want this person to be president” or “This person will do harm, but I am voting for them because I don’t think my guy has a change”.

RP doesn’t have a chance for one reason only: Some of the people that support him chose not to vote for him.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
post #25 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Lifer
 
tenacious j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: arlington
Posts: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
I don't think anyone has said he isn't smart, just that he is too wacky to be taken seriously, or as the author of the article said "Eccentricities... keep him from being taken seriously." (My edit added)

i hear that alot. what is it about ron paul that makes him too wacky to be taken seriously?

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
tenacious j is offline  
post #26 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Lifer
 
46Tbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 33,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
How did you get "voting for a losing candidate" from voting for a person who has no chance of winning?

By that logic voting for Ronald Reagan is okay, because he has no chance of winning but would have been a better choice than McCain or Obama.
Yeah, he would be an awesome choice for a third-party candidate except that-

A) He cannot run for office again after completing two terms.
B) He wasn't actively campaigning for office.
C) He would be running as a Republican, not a third-party candidate.
C) Last but not least, he's dead.

I would really hope you knew all that without me typing it. But yes, a candidate that is running for office, that is not running as a Rep or Dem, that hasn't already completed two terms as POTUS, is living/breathing, and has morals, values, character, a fiscal policy you think will work, and foreign and domestic policies that you agree with would be an excellent third party candidate for you to consider. Or you could be a mindless lump of shit and vote straight ticket (insert whatever dogma you believe in here). Hey, it's your vote. Waste it as you see fit.
46Tbird is offline  
post #27 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
makin' bacon
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Longview,TX
Posts: 5,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
Yeah, he would be an awesome choice for a third-party candidate except that-

A) He cannot run for office again after completing two terms.
B) He wasn't actively campaigning for office.
C) He would be running as a Republican, not a third-party candidate.
C) Last but not least, he's dead.

I would really hope you knew all that without me typing it. But yes, a candidate that is running for office, that is not running as a Rep or Dem, that hasn't already completed two terms as POTUS, is living/breathing, and has morals, values, character, a fiscal policy you think will work, and foreign and domestic policies that you agree with would be an excellent third party candidate for you to consider. Or you could be a mindless lump of shit and vote straight ticket (insert whatever dogma you believe in here). Hey, it's your vote. Waste it as you see fit.
I think you totally missed his point.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky


Stevo is offline  
post #28 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Lifer
 
46Tbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 33,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
I think you totally missed his point.

Stevo
No, I see the point he is trying to make. And I still stand by mine.
46Tbird is offline  
post #29 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South of the Red River
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
So voting in the primary but not in the actual election is voting? Sounds like a school play ground tactic of playing while things are going well, but if it turns sour the poor loser bows out before the game ends and claims he played the game, in other words RP idiot supporter logic.
What part of I voted for who I wanted to see in the White House and ONLY who I wanted to see in the White House eludes you? We're both losers but you chose your loss several times by process of ilimination. Educate yourself and make a stand.

psssst...the idiots, no, make that tragically misinformed didn't support Ron Paul. This ain't no school play ground.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
black01gt is offline  
post #30 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
Well, I know you and I are going to differ on this point, but I'll be honest and say I don't think his standpoint is the smartest way to view it. But at its rawest, what I said is true, no matter the reasoning or logical you support it with. Reps and Dems are two insanely dominant parties due to the fact that people don't won't to vote for candidates of thirds parties for fear their vote won't count. Of course, corporate contributions complicate this.

Given that, I was trying to be slightly snide towards him after he called me a dreamer, romantic, and unrealistic.
Okay, fair enough. Unless one of us goes off the deep end I doubt it will deteriorate between us again.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
post #31 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06
Are you saying you don't mind people voting for someone they don’t really want to be president? Aren’t we really just playing “Pick the winner” then? What is the point of voting?
I think we had two choices for President this time around that were not what I would consider to be great choices for President. I do think there was one choice that was clearly better than the other, and voting for McCain was just as much for him as it was against Obama. I have said before, if RP was the choice instead of McCain, I would have felt the exact same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06
Voting for the lesser of two evils makes you responsible for putting someone evil in the White House, doesn’t it? What are you saying with your vote: “I want this person to be president” or “This person will do harm, but I am voting for them because I don’t think my guy has a change”.
Do you really think the "lesser of two evils" comment about Obama and Mccain was to be taken literally? If so I am wasting my time responding to you becuase you are an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06
RP doesn’t have a chance for one reason only: Some of the people that support him chose not to vote for him.
How do you know that people who supported him didn't vote for him? Isn't that pretty stupid to support someone and not vote for him and then bitch about him not getting enough votes?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
post #32 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j
i hear that alot. what is it about ron paul that makes him too wacky to be taken seriously?
Did you see any of the debates he was in? Are you new to this forum?

Please feel free to check out the many threads in this forum about RP. I have posted many times with the reasons and so have others. Hell, the article above has some.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
post #33 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
What part of I voted for who I wanted to see in the White House and ONLY who I wanted to see in the White House eludes you? We're both losers but you chose your loss several times by process of ilimination. Educate yourself and make a stand.

psssst...the idiots, no, make that tragically misinformed didn't support Ron Paul. This ain't no school play ground.
LOL, spoken like a true idiot RP supporter and the idiot liberals: "We are informed, intelligent, know more than those who disagree with us! If you don't agree with us you are too stupid to understand!"

BTW, how ironic you misspell words and tell me to educate myself while telling me how smart and informed you are.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
post #34 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
I think we had two choices for President this time around that were not what I would consider to be great choices for President. I do think there was one choice that was clearly better than the other, and voting for McCain was just as much for him as it was against Obama. I have said before, if RP was the choice instead of McCain, I would have felt the exact same way.
Well my argument only applies to you if there was another candidate that you wanted to be president that you did not vote for solely because they did not have a good chance of winning. If you didn't like anybody else then all you can do is make the best choice you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
Do you really think the "lesser of two evils" comment about Obama and Mccain was to be taken literally? If so I am wasting my time responding to you becuase you are an idiot.
I don't think you meant it literally, I meant evil in the same sense you did. How about: You chose the lesser of two "bad choices", so doesn't that mean you made a "bad choice"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
How do you know that people who supported him didn't vote for him? Isn't that pretty stupid to support someone and not vote for him and then bitch about him not getting enough votes?
I don't know any specifically, but it sounds like Stevo voted for Bush/Obama when he really wanted someone else to win. It is the idea that i disagree with, I have no way of knowing how often it happened in real life.

It would be stupid to do that and then complain about it, but I think not voting for the person you truly want to win in the first place is stupid, complaining or not.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
post #35 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06
Well my argument only applies to you if there was another candidate that you wanted to be president that you did not vote for solely because they did not have a good chance of winning. If you didn't like anybody else then all you can do is make the best choice you can.
I wanted Thompson after he announced, but I wanted anyone but Obama or Hillary. McCain was acceptable, but not a great choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06
I don't think you meant it literally, I meant evil in the same sense you did. How about: You chose the lesser of two "bad choices", so doesn't that mean you made a "bad choice"?
I don't think I used the term "lesser of two evils" or think McCain was a bad choice. Obama was a bad choice IMO, but like I said, McCain was acceptable.

BTW, if you don't like it that I voted for an "acceptable" candidate then it is just too bad. Sorry, I don't really care of someone thinks that is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06
I don't know any specifically, but it sounds like Stevo voted for Bush/Obama when he really wanted someone else to win. It is the idea that i disagree with, I have no way of knowing how often it happened in real life.
Okay, I just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to go there without proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06
It would be stupid to do that and then complain about it, but I think not voting for the person you truly want to win in the first place is stupid, complaining or not.
I think voting for a person who has no chance of winning is pretty stupid. I guess we can just agee to disagree on that. I am not trying to change your mind, and if you are trying to change mine, good luck with that. LOL

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
post #36 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Lifer
 
tenacious j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: arlington
Posts: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
Did you see any of the debates he was in? Are you new to this forum?

Please feel free to check out the many threads in this forum about RP. I have posted many times with the reasons and so have others. Hell, the article above has some.

no, i never saw any of his debates. i just recently started reading his book and saw that somebody posted something about him.

i'll go back and do a search on him. he seems pretty interesting. i would like to find out more about him good or bad.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
tenacious j is offline  
post #37 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j
no, i never saw any of his debates. i just recently started reading his book and saw that somebody posted something about him.

i'll go back and do a search on him. he seems pretty interesting. i would like to find out more about him good or bad.
His high profile positions, like going to a gold standard, immediate and total retreat from Iraq while Al Quaeda is actively fighting us in that country, and his position that we should not be involved in any country or conflict unless he feels it is necessary are but a few of the positions/quirks/idiosyncrises that cause most people to be deeply concerned about him IMO.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
post #38 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South of the Red River
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j
no, i never saw any of his debates. i just recently started reading his book and saw that somebody posted something about him.

i'll go back and do a search on him. he seems pretty interesting. i would like to find out more about him good or bad.
Here you go. This can keep ou busy for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
black01gt is offline  
post #39 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Lifer
 
tenacious j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: arlington
Posts: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
Here you go. This can keep ou busy for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

thanks, i'll check it out when i get off work.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
tenacious j is offline  
post #40 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South of the Red River
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
LOL, spoken like a true idiot RP supporter and the idiot liberals: "We are informed, intelligent, know more than those who disagree with us! If you don't agree with us you are too stupid to understand!"

BTW, how ironic you misspell words and tell me to educate myself while telling me how smart and informed you are.
Oh don't get your tail twisted. This is just adult talk. You might want to drop out now. Or stay and call people childish names if it makes you feel better.

And not that I'm that big on the "spelling police" but what did I misspell professor?

.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Last edited by black01gt; 12-02-2008 at 07:51 PM.
black01gt is offline  
post #41 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South of the Red River
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j
no, i never saw any of his debates.
There were serious attempts to keep anyone from seeing and hearing his message. I wonder why?

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
black01gt is offline  
post #42 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
Oh don't get your tail twisted. This is just adult talk. You might want to drop out now. Or stay and call people childish names if it makes you feel better.

And not that I'm that big on the "spelling police" but what did I misspell professor?

.
I think he's referring to "ilimination".
exlude is offline  
post #43 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South of the Red River
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
I think he's referring to "ilimination".
Oops.

eliminate eliminate...

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
black01gt is offline  
post #44 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South of the Red River
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j
thanks, i'll check it out when i get off work.
de nada.

I haven't looked in a while but I notice many of em have been taken down. Try these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaxdU...d.php?t=371645

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i6D_...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTau9...eature=related

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
black01gt is offline  
post #45 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 PM
makin' bacon
 
Stevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Longview,TX
Posts: 5,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06


I don't know any specifically, but it sounds like Stevo voted for Bush/Obama when he really wanted someone else to win.
Bush didn't run in this year's election. I guess the Obama regime somehow managed to convince you along with his zealots that McCain is actually Bush in costume.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky


Stevo is offline  
post #46 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
Not sure if you're aware, but having a two-party system ("real chance" parties as you call them) is not dictated in the Constitution or any other founding document. The intent was always to have multiple viewpoints (not just two, diametrically opposed and stupid ones) that would try to raise voter support. Now that voter support means less and less - and corporate support means more and more - we are stuck with two power and money greedy parties that both suck. Something has to give. Why not now?

Funny that your conscious decision to vote for "the lesser of two evils" was completely trumped by a flood of morons that voted for "the black guy" to see history made.

Screw that, I'll be voting for the candidate that I support from now on, not the candidate that has a "real chance" of beating someone that I think is worse than they are. No wonder America is in the shitter....
you are wasting your time try to explain how a true 3rd or even 4th party would mean a world of good to this country. but what do i know i am the "liberal" who wanted ron paul for president.

Cartman is offline  
post #47 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Bush didn't run in this year's election. I guess the Obama regime somehow managed to convince you along with his zealots that McCain is actually Bush in costume.

Stevo
Not quite, just a mistake.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
post #48 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Lifer
 
tenacious j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: arlington
Posts: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt


that was pretty interesting stuff. i wish he had made it to the ballot as the republican candidate

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
tenacious j is offline  
post #49 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South of the Red River
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j
that was pretty interesting stuff. i wish he had made it to the ballot as the republican candidate
Yep. He would be President now.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
black01gt is offline  
post #50 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
Oh don't get your tail twisted. This is just adult talk. You might want to drop out now. Or stay and call people childish names if it makes you feel better.

And not that I'm that big on the "spelling police" but what did I misspell professor?

.
Why would you think my tail is twisted just because I am making fun of you?

I see others have pointed out your spelling error. Why couldn't you find it?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome