GM and automakers - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Bla Bla Bla

GM and automakers

So has anyone else gotten this email???

Dear Alissa,

You made the right choice when you put your confidence in General Motors, and we appreciate your past support. I want to assure you that we are making our best vehicles ever, and we have exciting plans for the future. But we need your help now. Simply put, we need you to join us to let Congress know that a bridge loan to help U.S. automakers also helps strengthen the U.S. economy and preserve millions of American jobs.

Despite what you may be hearing, we are not asking Congress for a bailout but rather a loan that will be repaid.

The U.S. economy is at a crossroads due to the worldwide credit crisis, and all Americans are feeling the effects of the worst economic downturn in 75 years. Despite our successful efforts to restructure, reduce costs and enhance liquidity, U.S. auto sales rely on access to credit, which is all but frozen through traditional channels.

The consequences of the domestic auto industry collapsing would far exceed the $25 billion loan needed to bridge the current crisis. According to a recent study by the Center for Automotive Research:

• One in 10 American jobs depends on U.S. automakers
• Nearly 3 million jobs are at immediate risk
• U.S. personal income could be reduced by $150 billion
• The tax revenue lost over 3 years would be more than $156 billion

Discussions are now underway in Washington, D.C., concerning loans to support U.S. carmakers. I am asking for your support in this vital effort by contacting your state representatives.

Please take a few minutes to go to www.gmfactsandfiction.com, where we have made it easy for you to contact your U.S. senators and representatives. Just click on the "I'm a Concerned American" link under the "Mobilize Now" section, and enter your name and ZIP code to send a personalized e-mail stating your support for the U.S. automotive industry.

Let me assure you that General Motors has made dramatic improvements over the last 10 years. In fact, we are leading the industry with award-winning vehicles like the Chevrolet Malibu, Cadillac CTS, Buick Enclave, Pontiac G8, GMC Acadia, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid, Saturn AURA and more. We offer 18 models with an EPA estimated 30 MPG highway or better — more than Toyota or Honda. GM has 6 hybrids in market and 3 more by mid-2009. GM has closed the quality gap with the imports, and today we are putting our best quality vehicles on the road.

Please share this information with friends and family using the link on the site.

Thank you for helping keep our economy viable.

Sincerely,

Troy Clarke

All I hear is bla bla bla......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 11:03 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Didn't get it and I disagree. If they get a handout it needs to be strictly regulated and must include something about UAW pensions and health insurance.

I just can't stand the thought of people making $6.50 an hour paying taxes to help offset the retirement packages an assembly line worker got after working 25 years making $40+ an hour.

If GM can't afford to pay it's employees they can't possibly expect to make a profit while still paying said employees.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Yeah, me too. I wanna' know how you're planning to spend my money before just handing it over to a bunch of UAW thugs.

mardyn

R.I.P. James E. Berry 01/03/57-- 01/14/05

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 12:11 PM
IA2

GM has got to make drastic changes to return to profitability to repay the loan. If they keep doing the same shit they've been doing that won't happen.

Chapter 11 is a much better idea. They can then get out of the UAW contracts, dump the pension, and easily make other changes necessary to survive.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:26 PM
How you doin'

i got it too...i'm sure that they've sent it to every e-mail address that they can dig up from previous purchases.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Worship me

Problem is, guess who the pension will be dumped on....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
Problem is, guess who the pension will be dumped on....
interesting to see... Delta people just got fucked

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement