Do you discuss politics at work? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Do you discuss politics at work?

Looks like I'm not supposed to anymore (I avoided these conversations as best I could the last few months because I'm the "rich" white boy because I'm the only person in my department with a degree.

"I appreciate all of you being involved in the electoral process. Thatís a good issue to have passion over. Trust me, when the government starts taking more of our paychecks next year the passion will wear off, but in the mean time it is fun to watch. Iíd like to request that all of you begin to tone down the rhetoric at work and to discontinue using Stream emails to spread your message Ė whether it is to friend or foe. Please focus all of your political activities on your own time.

Thank you for your cooperation.
-Management"

I'm tired of hearing about it while I'm trying to work (read...post on dfwstangs) here anyways. But I got a lil LOL on reading this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Out

We ARE politics, here, at work.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Looks like I'm not supposed to anymore (I avoided these conversations as best I could the last few months because I'm the "rich" white boy because I'm the only person in my department with a degree.

"I appreciate all of you being involved in the electoral process. Thatís a good issue to have passion over. Trust me, when the government starts taking more of our paychecks next year the passion will wear off, but in the mean time it is fun to watch. Iíd like to request that all of you begin to tone down the rhetoric at work and to discontinue using Stream emails to spread your message Ė whether it is to friend or foe. Please focus all of your political activities on your own time.

Thank you for your cooperation.
-Management"

I'm tired of hearing about it while I'm trying to work (read...post on dfwstangs) here anyways. But I got a lil LOL on reading this.
That is racist, they are just mad because it is a black president. If he were white nobody would have said anything.

Have you heard any of that yet? I have...

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Lifer

I can and do discuss politics frequently at work, in a respectful manner of course.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
I can and do discuss politics frequently at work, in a respectful manner of course.
I've seen a few people get berated by a gang mentality (much like the liberals get on dfwstangs lol) for saying they don't agree or pull out a touchy point that they do not want to address because they do not have an answer for.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Lifer

I stay out of it. I'll throw comments out there every-now and then, but don't pay much attention to it all.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06
That is racist, they are just mad because it is a black president. If he were white nobody would have said anything.

Have you heard any of that yet? I have...

That is the ONLY reason I've heard from liberals, in rebuttal as to why someone didn't vote for Obama. I heard it on Tom fucking Leykis last night for crying out loud. And Tom let the fucking idiot rant and rave about it, as if what he was saying had any merit.

Yet, when you ask someone why they voted for Obama, it's as if you asked a kid with down syndrome about quantum physics.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Worship me

We are all Republicans for the most part.

I have yet to find a liberal who can stand a chance in a debate anyway. Logic has a way of cutting through touchy feely horseshit in very short order.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Lifer

Nope. I just log on and argue with you sum-bitches.

I have to face those other people.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Resident Epicurean

Yep. Kind of hard not to, with everything that's going on around here. Buyout in the near future, taxes are about to be sky high, economy in the shitter, etc.

We have one liberal in a company of 35 or so, but he's in Oklahoma so we don't have to hear his crying on a daily basis. The other Obama supporter, is African American, so we just don't talk about it around him after his blow up about me being racist when poking fun at Obama's financial plan.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Lifer

We limit the conversations to a select group of individuals...
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Lifer

Liberals seem to have a double standard when it comes to a personal political views. There view is right and yours will always be wrong even when you are right.

I avoid talking about politics at work and avoid putting political info on my car.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 AM

We talk politics at work, and our office is a mix of all sorts when it comes to political views. It's all about being respectful and open-minded. We can all agree on many things, and respectfully disagree on others. I've never understood how people can get so upset over another person's stance on the issues. Lives are different, priorities are different, opinions are different. This world would be too boring if things were any other way.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 AM
LUCIFER

No, most of the people I work with didn't really pay much attention to the election

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:21 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

I carefully did, but continually put my job on the line to do so as we had been told in September (I think) not to do so. When I realized that people were voting for Obama because he's black and not a Republican, I quickly quit as there is no logic running through these people.

Now, I leave the room if the conversation starts.

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
Rich ass white boy!

Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Boost is Life

Seeing that I'm in management I keep my mouth shut. I let the employees talk about it as long as it doesn't get heated.

DamonH
2006 F150 SCrew
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 AM

im self employeed if my employees dont like my views they can kiss my ass
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Yep. Kind of hard not to, with everything that's going on around here. Buyout in the near future, taxes are about to be sky high, economy in the shitter, etc.

We have one liberal in a company of 35 or so, but he's in Oklahoma so we don't have to hear his crying on a daily basis. The other Obama supporter, is African American, so we just don't talk about it around him after his blow up about me being racist when poking fun at Obama's financial plan.
I keep hearing about all the people that voted for Obama can't give you guys a reason they voted for him, yet everyone I know that voted for Obama was able to explain to me why they voted for him.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I keep hearing about all the people that voted for Obama can't give you guys a reason they voted for him, yet everyone I know that voted for Obama was able to explain to me why they voted for him.
All I have heard to date from co-workers is that 'it's time for a change", which is not a reason so much as it is a parrotting of obamas campaign slogan.
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

It could be where you're at.

I haven't heard a single person give one good reason for voting for him. "Change" is not a good reason.

When I breing up stances on issues, they walk away mumbling, thus admitting defeat, and that they don't have a fucking clue as to what they are talking about.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Lifer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yet somehow you conveniently left off the reasons from your post. Nice.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Lifer

Quote:
All I have heard to date from co-workers is that 'it's time for a change", which is not a reason so much as it is a parrotting of obamas campaign slogan.
Ask them specific questions like "What changes are you looking for?" Then you will hear the answer "Get those awful republicans out of there." Hear it all the time.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
It could be where you're at.

I haven't heard a single person give one good reason for voting for him. "Change" is not a good reason.

When I breing up stances on issues, they walk away mumbling, thus admitting defeat, and that they don't have a fucking clue as to what they are talking about.

Montana voted McCain, only know a handful that voted for Obama here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass
Yet somehow you conveniently left off the reasons from your post. Nice.
No one asked me but since you're curious.
I didn't vote for Obama, I wanted him to win. Here are the reaons i've heard along with the reasons I would have voted for him.

-Pro-choice. This is me personally. I would never vote for someone against abortion, ever. The planet is in no danger of being under populated, and we have more kids in orphanges that nobody wants than I care to think about.

-McCain resembled Bush way too much. The economy is in the shitter, we need someone to bring it out. Sending more troops to more countries to fight is not the answer. For the war in Afghanistan, not the war in Iraq. Why are we dieing for a bunch of ungrateful people in Iraq? Because like his dad, Bush is an oil tycoon who saw a chance to get more dollars in his pocket. Our freedom is not at state with Iraq. It's sad to see family members and other's family members risking their lives because some people see green. Then they use the flag and patriotism to convince us that sending our boys to die is in the name of freedom. I'm sorry, but the principal weapon of terrorist isn't oil.

-I do not make over 250K a year. I want my taxes to decrease. Why should the middle class have to pay for everything? Wanting to make a 6 figure income and making a 6 figure income are 2 different things. McCain has never held a job in the private sector. I love his military record as much as any veteran, but the guy married into money and lost touch with the common man accepting more than $2 million from the oil and gas industry, more than half of that since he changed his position on offshore drilling.

-The environment. Not a tree hugger by any stretch, I love the city, but lets not destroy whats left of the country to make more money. Lets not shit on what we have left.

-Mccain was against fuel efficiency. Of course, there is money to be made off oil, why would we want to have vehicles that are fuel efficient? Obama wants to double the efficiency of our vehicles.

-Mccain is pro-open borders. McCain-Kennedy reform. We have a serious immigration problem in this country and he actually wanted to pass that?

-Obama has an energy plan that will provide as many as 5,000,000 jobs and end our dependency on foreign oil.

-McCain's health. Palin as President, no fucking way.

-healthcare. I remember when healthcare through my job was reasonable. It's been steadily going up every year. I can't speak for most of you, but due to alot of health problems, I've had to use my insurance quite a bit, it would be nice if I could get this monthly payment down.

-I agree with Obama's stance to increase focus on Pakistan and Afghanistan, the real war on terror.

-Not sure how true this is, but I heard that McCain wanted to attack Iran during his first 100 days of office. Thats what we need, start another fight before we finish the other one. Thats gotta be good for the economy right?

-McCain voted with Bush 95% of the time.

That good for you Hass?
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Lifer

Healthcare: socialized medicine will get the cost down, but at what price in quality? obama hasn't said.

What exactly does obamas "increased focus" on Pock-e-ston and Afghanistan entail?

Two examples of proposed "change" spouted off in obama campaign speeches lacking details.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Lifer

Only with boxing gloves on.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Healthcare: socialized medicine will get the cost down, but at what price in quality? obama hasn't said.

What exactly does obamas "increased focus" on Pock-e-ston and Afghanistan entail?

Two examples of proposed "change" spouted off in obama campaign speeches lacking details.

I was asked to explain why I would have voted for Obama or anyone who did vote for Obama, why they did so. I didn't realize I had to write a thesis on each reason. The argument was: Obama supporters can't ever give a reason as to why they vote for Obama. I just did because it seems like a couple of people have said this, and then every other McCain supporter has jumped on the band wagon "yea man, they just walk away." I'm not saying Brent hasn't witnessed this, I'm saying some of you are lying because I know plenty of people that are more than happy to give you reasons why they voted for the guy.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Lifer

You misunderstand. You don't have to write a thesis on anything, those are simply the replies I might give if an obama supporter made those two comments to me. I really don't care who you voted for or if you voted at all.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:51 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
I was asked to explain why I would have voted for Obama or anyone who did vote for Obama, why they did so. I didn't realize I had to write a thesis on each reason. The argument was: Obama supporters can't ever give a reason as to why they vote for Obama. I just did because it seems like a couple of people have said this, and then every other McCain supporter has jumped on the band wagon "yea man, they just walk away." I'm not saying Brent hasn't witnessed this, I'm saying some of you are lying because I know plenty of people that are more than happy to give you reasons why they voted for the guy.
just because you may know some people that gave halfway decent reasons for voting for Barry doesn't mean that someone else knows the same type of person.

For me, those that I know that voted for Obama did so for 1 of 3 reasons.

1. He's (part) black. No sense in fluffing this one up. It is what it is. Sadly there were people voting for McCain because he's white. So this problem was on both sides of the ball.

2. He's not a Republican. This is more along the lines of voting against the GOP instead of for Obama. Not saying it's not valid, but I wish these people would consider the issues instead of party affiliation.

3. He's made outrageous promises. Anyone in their right mind knows he can't possibly live up to the promises he made in his campaign, yet people hear that he's going to make their taxes go down and he'll "spread the wealth around". Sadly, he has not provided any details on how he will cut spending to reduce the national debt, yet still fund the new social(ist) programs he is proposing and still cut taxes on the middle class.

Obama wants to reduce/eliminate our dependance on foreign oil. That's fine, I can get behind that. What I don't agree with is his mindset that we will just quit buying it, immediately switch to alternative energy and that will be it. Logically, this will not work in less than 10 years due to the lack of infrastructure to support these alternatives. Why hasn't E85 caught on more when there are MILLIONS of vehicles already on the road that will run it? Reduced gas mileage and lack of mass availability. Comes back to a lack of infrastructure. What we need to do is build the infrastructure, but continue to drill on our own soil. This would allow us to reduce/eliminate our dependance on foreign oil AND continue progressing toward more widespread use of alternative forms of energy.

The environment is a touchy subject. While we don't want to see destruction of our open country, we are still defacing the beauty of some landscapes by building these windfarms.

post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Lifer

Not anymore. It's just to emotionally charged for most people regarding this election year.

I just toss around the BS with you guys instead. If I piss one of you off you can't go report me to the HR manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 11-12-2008 at 12:12 PM.
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:54 AM

Hell no another prine example of the wave of the future I am the only white dude
out of 12 techs.

They tell open rasism joke's but when I complain they back each other and again I'm alone.

They have already told me they can't wait till I retire so it will be 100%.
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 PM
mannish boy

I dont' discuss politics or religion in mixed company, so hell no
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:

No one asked me but since you're curious.
I didn't vote for Obama, I wanted him to win. Here are the reaons i've heard along with the reasons I would have voted for him.

-Pro-choice. This is me personally. I would never vote for someone against abortion, ever. The planet is in no danger of being under populated, and we have more kids in orphanges that nobody wants than I care to think about.

-McCain resembled Bush way too much. The economy is in the shitter, we need someone to bring it out. Sending more troops to more countries to fight is not the answer. For the war in Afghanistan, not the war in Iraq. Why are we dieing for a bunch of ungrateful people in Iraq? Because like his dad, Bush is an oil tycoon who saw a chance to get more dollars in his pocket. Our freedom is not at state with Iraq. It's sad to see family members and other's family members risking their lives because some people see green. Then they use the flag and patriotism to convince us that sending our boys to die is in the name of freedom. I'm sorry, but the principal weapon of terrorist isn't oil.

-I do not make over 250K a year. I want my taxes to decrease. Why should the middle class have to pay for everything? Wanting to make a 6 figure income and making a 6 figure income are 2 different things. McCain has never held a job in the private sector. I love his military record as much as any veteran, but the guy married into money and lost touch with the common man accepting more than $2 million from the oil and gas industry, more than half of that since he changed his position on offshore drilling.

-The environment. Not a tree hugger by any stretch, I love the city, but lets not destroy whats left of the country to make more money. Lets not shit on what we have left.

-Mccain was against fuel efficiency. Of course, there is money to be made off oil, why would we want to have vehicles that are fuel efficient? Obama wants to double the efficiency of our vehicles.

-Mccain is pro-open borders. McCain-Kennedy reform. We have a serious immigration problem in this country and he actually wanted to pass that?

-Obama has an energy plan that will provide as many as 5,000,000 jobs and end our dependency on foreign oil.

-McCain's health. Palin as President, no fucking way.

-healthcare. I remember when healthcare through my job was reasonable. It's been steadily going up every year. I can't speak for most of you, but due to alot of health problems, I've had to use my insurance quite a bit, it would be nice if I could get this monthly payment down.

-I agree with Obama's stance to increase focus on Pakistan and Afghanistan, the real war on terror.

-Not sure how true this is, but I heard that McCain wanted to attack Iran during his first 100 days of office. Thats what we need, start another fight before we finish the other one. Thats gotta be good for the economy right?

-McCain voted with Bush 95% of the time.

That good for you Hass?
Its not the typical liberal first response. Next question I ask is how can you actually believe that any of this will go your way based on Obamas accomplishments? Basically, what has he accomplished that leads you to believe that you can trust him to take care of you on these issues?
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Lifer

I forgot to ad that a lot of your post Hollywood, is confirmation of my point that the msses are just ant-republican as opposed to making an informed decision.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Mexican Crew

sometimes I do but only after talking about religion first

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 PM
dead

i will only talk politics with a very select few and it's usually at lunch.

some people have been pretty vocal after the elections from each side. it's AMAZING how so many people are flat out clueless yet believe in something so adamantly. scares the fuck out of me.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass
I forgot to ad that a lot of your post Hollywood, is confirmation of my point that the masses are just programmed by the media to be anti-republican as opposed to making an informed decision.

Fixed.

That one programmed response about the economy being Dubya's fault gets me every time.

post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
i will only talk politics with a very select few and it's usually at lunch.

some people have been pretty vocal after the elections from each side. it's AMAZING how so many people are flat out clueless yet believe in something so adamantly. scares the fuck out of me.
Pure emotions. Wouldn't last long at chess.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 PM
The Janitor

I'm with forrest. I do not talk politics at work or in company outside of close friends. I have only talked politics in mixed company in poli-sci or poli-phil classes.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Hustlin'

Seeing as I work in downtown manhattan, I can assume those that surround me are Dem's. Having said that, I generally give the same response to 'who did you vote for' questions to everyone.

My voting philosophy goes like this "I treat voting like hiring, I weigh heavy on experience/track record, moderatley on education and presention, and lightly on promises".

And then I let whoever's listening guess who I voted for.

--Scott

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Hero in a half shell

Most of the employees at my company voted McCain since we knew that Obama is the last thing we need economically. I'm in retail selling specialized fitness equipment and things aren't looking that good right now. Although compared to other specialized fitness stores across the nation, we are doing better than almost everybody else since we pretty much own the Houston market with the best stuff and the oil industry provides a little cushion for us. However, our numbers are a bit down compared to last year.

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:55 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I work from home. So yea, I discuss politics while I'm at work. The only difference is that I do it here....

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement