United States Cabinet - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

United States Cabinet

I'm particularly curious to find out what the conservatives think Obama's cabinet should look like. Any specific requests for Secretary of State, Secretary of the Treasury, etc? Forget the speculation... is there a realistic make-up that you could get behind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weslie
I'm particularly curious to find out what the conservatives think Obama's cabinet should look like. Any specific requests for Secretary of State, Secretary of the Treasury, etc? Forget the speculation... is there a realistic make-up that you could get behind?
Not from this administration. I wasn't even happy with many of Bush's picks.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Out

Powell will be on there... possibly Sec. of Defense

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Good.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
If he can't/won't persuade Gates to stay then Powell would be a respected choice. Personally, I want Gates to stay just like I hope he doesn't shake up the CIA/Intellegence communities much. Some continuity would send a good message home and abroad.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdem
If he can't/won't persuade Gates to stay then Powell would be a respected choice. Personally, I want Gates to stay just like I hope he doesn't shake up the CIA/Intellegence communities much. Some continuity would send a good message home and abroad.
I agree with the continuity but I would like to see Powell go to work. I think he would be like Swayze in Roadhouse..."be polite, but kick their ass if needed". And yes, leave the intelligence community alone. Experience matters.

I hope to see Pakistan/Afganistan starting to behave themselves soon.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Lifer

Looks like he will pick a bunch of thugs.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Heaven forbid.

And I doubt it.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Looks like the first slot is official with Rahm Emanuel as chief of staff. Looks like a Good Cop/Bad Cop arrangment.

Denny - On a side note. You seemed to be wary of Obama's commitment to Israel before the election. Do you think this sends a message? IMO it sends a stong signal of support.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffrazr
I wonder if that selection is just a strong signal (intentional message and nothing more). The guy comes from Illinois. I haven't found any early ties between the two, but my ears are perked.

Your signature is freaking hilarious. First time I've read it...
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Musician for the deaf

He isn't exactly popular with polish jews there. But then again he isn't populkar with a lot of people, LOL!
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
I wonder if that selection is just a strong signal (intentional message and nothing more). The guy comes from Illinois. I haven't found any early ties between the two, but my ears are perked.
His dad was a jewish freedom fighter in the 40's, I bet he'll make Obama keep Israel on the high friends list. I hope anyways.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX
His dad was a jewish freedom fighter in the 40's, I bet he'll make Obama keep Israel on the high friends list. I hope anyways.
His dad was part of Irgun, so he should get along with Ayers as well.

I wouldn't count on him being super pro-israel at the expense of political gain. But to be marked by APAC as anti-israel is political suicide so it is probably moot.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
His dad was part of Irgun, so he should get along with Ayers as well.

I wouldn't count on him being super pro-israel at the expense of political gain. But to be marked by APAC as anti-israel is political suicide so it is probably moot.
I'm certain all the Arabs will love Emanuel...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I heard he was already planning to appoint Richard Danzig to Sec. of Defense?

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Looks like Rahm Emanuel has strong ties to freddie mac wonder how obama met this guy. Maybe when the gave him a large sum of money to run for presedent Obama aint tied this man at all

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Lifer

Rahm Emanuel also has ties to the clintons. I thought we were going to have change and a "new" Washington looks like the same old shit to me.

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Looks like the first slot is official with Rahm Emanuel as chief of staff. Looks like a Good Cop/Bad Cop arrangment.

Denny - On a side note. You seemed to be wary of Obama's commitment to Israel before the election. Do you think this sends a message? IMO it sends a stong signal of support.
I think it sends the "Oh yes, we can be even more liberal than you thought!" signal.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Hey if anyone needs a job, Obama is hiring

http://www.change.gov/page/s/application
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camino
Looks like Rahm Emanuel has strong ties to freddie mac wonder how obama met this guy. Maybe when the gave him a large sum of money to run for presedent Obama aint tied this man at all
They met because Emanuel is a Chicago politician, like Barry. It's time for Barry to "pay the piper", now. All those favors he got in Chicago are now "due for payment".

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
They met because Emanuel is a Chicago politician, like Barry. It's time for Barry to "pay the piper", now. All those favors he got in Chicago are now "due for payment".
The mob don't like favors going unpaid [/fat_tony]
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 03:42 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I've yet to hear anyone of substance give serious consideration to Powell for Sec Def. While I would LOVE to see that happen, I don't think it will. I think Powell will more likely be Obama's foreign policy adviser which is just a step below being Sec of State.

I keep hearing Bill Richardson's name dropped for Sec of State. I like Richardson. He's a good man. I would have voted for him over McCain had he been the Democratic nominee. Being a former UN ambassador makes him very qualified for the position.

Warren Buffet is an outside shot for Treasury Sec. I think Obama would love to have him but Buffet isn't dumb enough to take the job. I think Paul Vocker is going to get the job.

As for Sec of Def, I hope that Gates does stick around. Supposedly, Obama wants him. I would like to see him stay there for at least another year. IMO He is the anti Rumsfeld and that is a very good thing.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:22 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
I keep hearing Bill Richardson's name dropped for Sec of State. I like Richardson. He's a good man. I would have voted for him over McCain had he been the Democratic nominee. Being a former UN ambassador makes him very qualified for the position.
Nope, John Kerry. If he were true to his word about being non partisan then it'd still be Condi but we all know that isn't going to happen. The governator is also going to be strongly considered for a post, possibly as the EPA administrator.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:28 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Nope, John Kerry. If he were true to his word about being non partisan then it'd still be Condi but we all know that isn't going to happen. The governator is also going to be strongly considered for a post, possibly as the EPA administrator.
Has something changed because Kerry has been calling that "ridiculous". But then, this IS John Kerry we're talkin' about here...

As for Condi, well her not being reappointed wouldn't really be about partisanship. It is quite clear that Obama wants a major change in foreign policy. As President, it is perfectly alright to put in Your Guy.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:30 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Has something changed because Kerry has been calling that "ridiculous". But then, this IS John Kerry we're talkin' about here...
No, but as you mentioned Kerry never says what he's really thinking. Or atleast doesn't think he is.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
No, but as you mentioned Kerry never says what he's really thinking. Or atleast doesn't think he is.
Does he even "think"?

post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Oh jeeezus!

It gets worse and worse!

edit: to clarify, I don't mean Kerry either.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Out

Quote:

Nothing but a front.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
I agree with the continuity but I would like to see Powell go to work. I think he would be like Swayze in Roadhouse..."be polite, but kick their ass if needed". And yes, leave the intelligence community alone. Experience matters.

I hope to see Pakistan/Afganistan starting to behave themselves soon.
I'm curious why you see Powell as a tough guy? I've always considered him soft after he stopped us from marching into Baghdad in '91.

I think we should have kicked Saddam's ass the first time and got it over with...
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 10:23 AM
How you doin'

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayzo
Hey if anyone needs a job, Obama is hiring

http://www.change.gov/page/s/application
i applied
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt
Wasn't it you who kept bringing up the issue of "why isn't the job done yet?"

powell is damaged goods.
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:59 AM

INTERESTING!

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15408.html

eBay exec. strong dark horse for Energy Secretary

Quote:
One of Barack Obama’s key California supporters, former eBay executive Steve Westly, is emerging as a strong dark horse candidate for energy secretary.

Westly co-chaired Cleantech and Green Business for Obama, a constituency group of green techies, along with former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) and former Clinton Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Carol Browner.

Westly ran for governor in California two years ago, but lost in the Democratic primary to state Treasurer Phil Angelides.

Recent reports suggest Westly is seriously considering another gubernatorial run in 2010, but an Obama Cabinet post could change his mind, sources say.

If appointed, Westly would be no stranger to Washington’s energy scene. His early career blossomed in President Jimmy Carter’s Energy Department, and he later served as state controller during California’s energy crisis.

He also founded the Westly Group, a green tech venture capital firm, and is close to California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican who’s also reported to be on the energy shortlist.

Other possibilities include Obama’s top energy adviser, Jason Grumet, and Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 12:03 PM
makin' bacon

You have got to be shitting me.

Stevo

Animal whisperings

Intoxicate the night

Hypnotize the desperate

Slow motion light

Wash away into the rain

Blood, milk and sky

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 PM
$uper $low

The new cabinet will be . . . . .

post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Lifer

If Westly was good enough for Jimmy Carter, he's good enough for Barry!

I'm telling ya'll, this will make 1976 look like a picnic!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement