We elected the right guy! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

We elected the right guy!

Not!

Well, it's 4:00pm and I just got in from seeing clients and am ready to sit down and deal with the results of the first day of President elect Obama.

Here's what happens now:

1. Two of my biggest clients called me into meetings this morning and cancelled three of my biggest jobs for the beginning of the year 2009. Reason? Fear and planning for the impending Obama tax plan and increase in corporate/capital gains taxes. Mind you, these clients are property investors, business owners, employers, and millionaires. They are going to hold on to their cash instead of investing...

2. The stock market fell almost 500 points. Yes, it's been up and down since September...but on the first day of the new elect? Not a good sign. Why? Investors are again pulling out to get cash...as did I today. I took a huge sting and pulled out of stocks that were already down so I could have some free cash in a money market. Why did I do that? So I could have cash available in light of the fact that the start of next year looks slow...read "#1 happening" discussed above. Obviously I wasn't the only one as a 500 point dip in the DJI is a pretty good selloff for one day.

3. I had a new employee scheduled to move to Midland from Corpus Christi in January. Why? Because of the fact that I had two clients with three huge jobs requiring an air tech at the start of next year. This air tech had been notified that his current company was closing at year end and this seemed like an easy transition. Now? I don't have those three jobs requiring another air tech...he's SOL. I informed him today that he needed to look elsewhere and that I would compensate him for one month come January if he hadn't found a job. Results:

A. One person looking for a job (i.e. one person unemployed)
B. I'm possibly out one months salary that I would have otherwise invested (i.e. driving economy)

4. I had a new enclosed car trailer ordered for next years racing season. Mine is eight years old and is in need of some TLC. I chose to just order up a new one a couple of weeks ago from a place in Ft. Worth. After my morning meetings, I called and cancelled said order. Why? Because if my business has already hit three speed bumps on the first day of the president elect Obama...I think I'll hold on to the cash. Whereas otherwise, I would've been a consumer injecting cash flow into the economy thus driving the trailer mfgr's business, his supplier's business, and creating jobs...that's called trickle down economics...it works...

See the trickle up affect? Just the possibility of Obama cramming through his policies has already hurt my business...and I ain't the only one.

So that's what happens now. I'm really so glad we elected the right guy. I feel better already.

90 GT - Bolt ons - 8.17 @ 173.XX. Original garage queen. '05 FFW Ennis True Street Winner
94 Supra - Big time garage queen
79 FJ40 Landcruiser - 4" lift, LT-1 w/4L60e, and 35's!
'98 Shadow ACE Tourer - 300 miles!
'99 Baja H2X - Water Toy
07 GT500 - Vista Blue w/ White stripes
'93 Cobra - Black on Black, 23K miles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:06 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Those are all valid concerns and I'm right there with you on them.

I'm currently employed, but have been wanting to get a job that isn't adversely affected by a down economy. So, I'm looking at working on the city level where if the economy is down, there's still work to be done (usually more work because of people turning to crime to get by).

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

I read this morning that all the baseball players that are negociating their contract before the end of the year, are ask for a big-big signing bonus now instead of more money next year.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Insane In The Membrane

It was a hard/long day for me at the office....wait im still at the office.

Real Estate Nate

On a mission for commission
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Its about time we had a thread on Obama being elected and the impending doom...oh wait.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Worship me

Your story is not going to be uncommon in any way. We are a private REIT with over 200 buildings all over the country. 24 million sf of industrial space. Over 400 tenants, most of which are very small local or regional businesses. Everything from machine shops to logistics firms to distribution hubs. The election has been a cloud of uncertainty for a lot of tenants. We are still waiting to see what the fallout is, but I'm virtually certain it is going to be very negative.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Its about time we had a thread on Obama being elected and the impending doom...oh wait.
Get used to it. After hearing incessant whining, crying, bitching, Clinton nut-sucking libs for the past eight years, now it's our turn. Gonna be fun.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Isn't there a wall somewhere calling you and your car.

Was that below the belt?

90 GT - Bolt ons - 8.17 @ 173.XX. Original garage queen. '05 FFW Ennis True Street Winner
'99 Baja H2X - Water Toy
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 04:51 PM
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Addict

Was that below the belt?

Wrong Hollywood.

My store was a ghost town today. Next year will be "interesting" to say the least.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:

Was that below the belt?

Maybe if I had a clue as to what the hell you were talking about.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 05:18 PM
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:

twin turbo Viper douchebag hllywood that ran his car into a wall streetracing.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Lifer

Yeah, totally different douchebag.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 PM
ebay pimp

What did you guys do when Clinton was elected? The world DIDN'T end, business did NOT shut down. In fact it wasn't too bad of a time (1992-2000). Now before you throw flames at me....I did NOT vote for Clinton, and I did NOT vote for Obama. I just see a lot of knew jerk sensationalism on here.

Scott
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Lifer

....and the blaming of Obama begins. Don't forget that the first 2 years of bad stuff that happened in W's first term was blamed on Clinton. So, it's only fair that W get's credit for the first 2 years of bad stuff during Obama's.

As for the stock market, maybe this will more clearly and accurately explain the drop in the market today.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...es-110508.aspx

I don't care for Obama, but you guys seem to have a really hard time seeing things from a "fair and balanced" perspective.

Quote:
Not!

Well, it's 4:00pm and I just got in from seeing clients and am ready to sit down and deal with the results of the first day of President elect Obama.

Here's what happens now:

1. Two of my biggest clients called me into meetings this morning and cancelled three of my biggest jobs for the beginning of the year 2009. Reason? Fear and planning for the impending Obama tax plan and increase in corporate/capital gains taxes. Mind you, these clients are property investors, business owners, employers, and millionaires. They are going to hold on to their cash instead of investing...

2. The stock market fell almost 500 points. Yes, it's been up and down since September...but on the first day of the new elect? Not a good sign. Why? Investors are again pulling out to get cash...as did I today. I took a huge sting and pulled out of stocks that were already down so I could have some free cash in a money market. Why did I do that? So I could have cash available in light of the fact that the start of next year looks slow...read "#1 happening" discussed above. Obviously I wasn't the only one as a 500 point dip in the DJI is a pretty good selloff for one day.

3. I had a new employee scheduled to move to Midland from Corpus Christi in January. Why? Because of the fact that I had two clients with three huge jobs requiring an air tech at the start of next year. This air tech had been notified that his current company was closing at year end and this seemed like an easy transition. Now? I don't have those three jobs requiring another air tech...he's SOL. I informed him today that he needed to look elsewhere and that I would compensate him for one month come January if he hadn't found a job. Results:

A. One person looking for a job (i.e. one person unemployed)
B. I'm possibly out one months salary that I would have otherwise invested (i.e. driving economy)

4. I had a new enclosed car trailer ordered for next years racing season. Mine is eight years old and is in need of some TLC. I chose to just order up a new one a couple of weeks ago from a place in Ft. Worth. After my morning meetings, I called and cancelled said order. Why? Because if my business has already hit three speed bumps on the first day of the president elect Obama...I think I'll hold on to the cash. Whereas otherwise, I would've been a consumer injecting cash flow into the economy thus driving the trailer mfgr's business, his supplier's business, and creating jobs...that's called trickle down economics...it works...

See the trickle up affect? Just the possibility of Obama cramming through his policies has already hurt my business...and I ain't the only one.

So that's what happens now. I'm really so glad we elected the right guy. I feel better already.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Lifer

I voted for Clinton....his first term. What about it?
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:43 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffrazr
Hopefully, this is all a knee jerk reaction.
Sounds more like a knee grow reaction.

Cue the fuckin rim shot!

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Rice User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt

Cue the fuckin rim shot!
In regards to your sig, isn't the republican party red?
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefortytwo

-Herb-
03 Torch Red Mach 1
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
in terms of usual American politics, yes...but it's also associated with Communism, as shown a post above...

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
My apologies.

'99 Baja H2X - Water Toy
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
No, it is representative of a blood holding up a crip. I consider myself to be a crip.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by White trash wagon
What did you guys do when Clinton was elected? The world DIDN'T end, business did NOT shut down. In fact it wasn't too bad of a time (1992-2000). Now before you throw flames at me....I did NOT vote for Clinton, and I did NOT vote for Obama. I just see a lot of knew jerk sensationalism on here.

Scott
Clinton WASN'T the most liberal person to ever hold the office. He also WASN'T grossly underqualified. Trust me, I wish Hillary was in there right now.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
ebay pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
Clinton WASN'T the most liberal person to ever hold the office. He also WASN'T grossly underqualified. Trust me, I wish Hillary was in there right now.
Interesting, back when it looked like Hillary might win the nomination, and possibly the election, didn't you, along with many others predict the MOST dire consequences...kinda like your doing now with Barry?
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Out

Quote:
I had a new employee scheduled to move to Midland from Corpus Christi in January. Why? Because of the fact that I had two clients with three huge jobs requiring an air tech at the start of next year. This air tech had been notified that his current company was closing at year end and this seemed like an easy transition. Now? I don't have those three jobs requiring another air tech...he's SOL. I informed him today that he needed to look elsewhere and that I would compensate him for one month come January if he hadn't found a job.
You hired him before you got any contracts? Damn, dude...
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
You hired him before you got any contracts? Damn, dude...
That's just it, I had the contracts. There is a provision in them that if the jobs are cancelled I'm paid for up-front costs and a small compensatory fee...but the job itself (i.e. the big money) is no longer there. Thus, the additional employee is no longer needed.

I normally operate (as do most firms in my realm) with a booking schedule about 2-3 months out. That's all the demand that's there. When I see that schedule getting beyond the point that my current staff can't man it I'll add a person.

Make sense?

'99 Baja H2X - Water Toy
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up
....and the blaming of Obama begins. Don't forget that the first 2 years of bad stuff that happened in W's first term was blamed on Clinton. So, it's only fair that W get's credit for the first 2 years of bad stuff during Obama's.
I don't care for Obama, but you guys seem to have a really hard time seeing things from a "fair and balanced" perspective.
Yes, but obama said he is going to "fix" Washington so that mofo beter start now if we are going to have our eutopia he has promised us. So, yes old barry is on the hook day one in my book.

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by White trash wagon
Interesting, back when it looked like Hillary might win the nomination, and possibly the election, didn't you, along with many others predict the MOST dire consequences...kinda like your doing now with Barry?
Yes, I'm saying Obama is worse than that.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
twin turbo Viper douchebag hllywood that ran his car into a wall streetracing.

ah. That sucks that a guy who was only on this website for a short time is confused with me...someone who has been on here for 7 years. Looks like its time to change my name back to Anubis for the 3rd or 4th time
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt

Cue the fuckin rim shot!
ROFL! Greatness!
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

http://www.myspace.com/GrandMaster_B_
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 AM
$uper $low

something tells me bernie may not be making it to the opening.

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
something tells me bernie may not be making it to the opening.
We're talking the "messiah" here... He can walk on water, heal the sick, and raise the dead. Don't count Bernie out yet.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement