Did Irving go Wet/stay dry? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Did Irving go Wet/stay dry?

I haven't heard any conclusive results and a quick google search, search of the DMN online brought me no conclusive evidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 AM
LUCIFER

Last I saw last night the poll was in favor of alcohol

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Lifer

Irving is now wet.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Cool thanks.

Anyone have the results #'s etc?
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Cool thanks.

Anyone have the results #'s etc?
This mornings report showed it really close. I think it was 51% yes, 49% no.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Lifer

It's hard to believe any of the mid-cities have stayed dry this long.

Drinking beer out of paper sacks while standing in the front yard FTW
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got5onIt
This mornings report showed it really close. I think it was 51% yes, 49% no.

Yep. 51%Y 49%N.

It's only beer and wine though. No liquor. I had to knock my wife upside her head when she told me she voted for it.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Yep. 51%Y 49%N.

It's only beer and wine though. No liquor. I had to knock my wife upside her head when she told me she voted for it.
Why?
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 AM
i need a hairdryer!!!!

WOW! My grandmother is rolling over in her grave right now. Love ya grams.

"Every day's a fishin' day, but not every day's a catchin' day." I don't think that truer words have EVER been spoken.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:21 AM
i need a hairdryer!!!!

Irving Local Option Vote Type Summary Contest Detail Map
53 of 53 Precincts Reporting
Percent Votes
FOR 50.74% 26,172
AGAINST 49.26% 25,404

"Every day's a fishin' day, but not every day's a catchin' day." I don't think that truer words have EVER been spoken.

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Why?

The last thing this fucking place needs is beer/wine. It's bad enough as is, and Herbert Gears is working his ass off trying to get the City cleaned up. He's doing a good job making progress and getting rid of the shit around here, and this just took him ten steps back.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:
The last thing this fucking place needs is beer/wine. It's bad enough as is, and Herbert Gears is working his ass off trying to get the City cleaned up. He's doing a good job making progress and getting rid of the shit around here, and this just took him ten steps back.
TYPICAL WHITE PERSON!!!!!!
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

I'M SO FUCKING HAPPY TO BE OUT OF IRVING...

It has been nothing more than the arm pit of the DFW Metroplex for the past few years, and now, it will be ravaged by even more drunken illegals with no ID, no drivers license and no insurance and certainly no money or morals.

One only has to look slightly South to Grand Prairie to see what the future holds for Irving.

I'm sorrowful for the many good people who still live there... I still have many friends and associates in the Irving area. I wish them the best of luck in dealing with a city in decline.

signed:
mardyn
(not a fan of booze sales for Irving)

R.I.P. James E. Berry 01/03/57-- 01/14/05

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Packin' up...

From what I saw, all cities that had to vote to be wet/dry voted wet.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
How is that? You already have it available all around, money going out with no tax coming back from it, and people who might walk down to grab a forty driving instead. Not to mention a nice little unregulated bootleg aspect.

I guess I don't see it.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardyn
it will be ravaged by even more drunken illegals with no ID, no drivers license and no insurance and certainly no money or morals.
what has changed?
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
TYPICAL WHITE PERSON!!!!!!

post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
what has changed?

The mayor we have now has done a damn good job of cleaning the city up. Irving WAS on the right path, with all the new development going on in the Las Colinas area. Now, we're just back where we started 5 years ago.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
The mayor we have now has done a damn good job of cleaning the city up. Irving WAS on the right path, with all the new development going on in the Las Colinas area. Now, we're just back where we started 5 years ago.
And that has anything to do with the liquor vote last night that won't come into effect for awhile?
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:46 AM
i need a hairdryer!!!!

Quote:
i wouldn't say we are 5 years back, we still have alot of old/unwanted/bad element apartment and motels that are being cleared up and demolished. They are still enforcing all the deporting/reporting of illegals. I agree that alcohol sales may not be the best thing for Irving, however it won't be the worst either. Herbert Gears IS doing a good job!

post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

People are going to drink no matter what so selling wine/beer at the grocery store is not going to make a big difference in the city but it will keep tax dollars in Irving that were going to other cities.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
And that has anything to do with the liquor vote last night that won't come into effect for awhile?

First, it wasn't liquor. Beer and wine only.

Second, as mardyn said, there's already enough illegals driving around drunk with no license and insurance. Now, it's just going to make it worse.

I've already got to spend about 5 days a week out in front of my house, picking up beer cans, bottles, tequila bottles, etc that were left laying in my grass by the illegals across the street. Now, it's just going to be even worse.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehead
Herbert Gears IS doing a good job!

Yes he is. Best thing that's happened to this city in a good long while.

To top it off, he knows how to booze and have a good time. He's good friends with my boss, so he usually shows up to all of our parties up here. Plus, he hangs out at my local watering hole. Cool dude to shoot the shit with.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:

Second, as mardyn said, there's already enough illegals driving around drunk with no license and insurance. Now, it's just going to make it worse.

I've already got to spend about 5 days a week out in front of my house, picking up beer cans, bottles, tequila bottles, etc that were left laying in my grass by the illegals across the street. Now, it's just going to be even worse.
Tequila bottles will not increase by this...

Most of this is covered by EW's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
People are going to drink no matter what so selling wine/beer at the grocery store is not going to make a big difference in the city but it will keep tax dollars in Irving that were going to other cities.

Do you think if this would have failed again it would have had any effect? The messican's will still stop in GP/Dallas/mid cities on the way home and grab their case of corona's and bud lights and drink at home. All this is doing is making it able to get in Irving and have $$$ stay in Irving.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Tequila bottles will not increase by this...

Most of this is covered by EW's post.

Do you think if this would have failed again it would have had any effect? The messican's will still stop in GP/Dallas/mid cities on the way home and grab their case of corona's and bud lights and drink at home. All this is doing is making it able to get in Irving and have $$$ stay in Irving.

If you really can't see the downside to this, than you're dumber than a box of rocks. Just sayin...
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:
If you really can't see the downside to this, than you're dumber than a box of rocks. Just sayin...
If you can't open your eyes just slightly to see the upside as well you are just as dumb Just sayin...
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If you can't open your eyes just slightly to see the upside as well you are just as dumb Just sayin...

Nate... please point out the upside... beside a few (very few) measly dollars going into the tax coffers, I can't see one.

mardyn

R.I.P. James E. Berry 01/03/57-- 01/14/05

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:
Nate... please point out the upside... beside a few (very few) measly dollars going into the tax coffers, I can't see one.

mardyn
Do you think because we will be able to get beer/wine at stores now that it's going to drastically shoot up crime instantly? South Irving had means to get beer before a few miles down the road...hop on beltline/macarthur and head south 3.5 miles...It's not like it was a 20 mile radius of dry territory and it wasn't easy.

People are going to get their beer and wine regardless and still drink if it was dry in Irving or not.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:

I'm asking, why is it any different? The current law obviously doesn't stop drinking, whether driving or walking, it doesn't stop littering, it doesn't stop uninsured/unlicensed drivers, and definitely doesn't do anything for drunk driving. I'm not saying that the new law makes anything better, but it does offer a tax revenue stream.

From what you describe, I'd say 5 years of cleaning up has really been a failure.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
You have not demonstrated any downside, only that irving is the same shithole I remember from 5 years ago.

I don't necessarily see an upside because increased tax revenue is a double edged sword, but a wash at worst.
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:

mardyn
Just comparing westside neighborhoods with those in neighboring ftWorth, all I see different are gas stations selling beer. Granted, it is mostly commercial zoning on that edge, but still, the dividing factors seems to be based more on county rather than city aspects.

Similar case on the northern edges, which is more residential.
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
From what you describe, I'd say 5 years of cleaning up has really been a failure.

Obviously, you don't know shit, or you're looking in the wrong areas. I've lived in Irving my entire life. Irving was a hell of a place to live, until the rise the current public transportation system. Ever since DART moved in, it's been downhill.

Any idiot with a brain can see the improvements that have been made. Sorry you don't fall in to that category. I see changes everywhere I look. Apartments are being condemned and torn down. Cheap motels are being condemned and torn down. Downtown Irving is in the middle of a big overhaul. Downtown Las Colinas is booming now more than ever. Really, are you too blind to see what's going on in Irving?

I don't know how long Gears has been in office, but his time in office is anything but a failure. I guess you're one that thinks change happens overnight? Some magical change fairy just comes in and sprinkles pixie dust on everything, and magically the illegal problem, low income housing problem, and virtaully any other problem you can think of is fixed?
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

Increased tax revenue is the only upside. As if Irving is hurting financially as it is.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 AM
i need a hairdryer!!!!

Quote:
Increased tax revenue is the only upside. As if Irving is hurting financially as it is.
actually Irving is doing pretty good from what i understand in the money catagory however alittle extra wouldn't hurt. I actually hope that with some of the added money they invest in some more clean up phases and things don't go backwards.

post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Obviously, you don't know shit, or you're looking in the wrong areas. I've lived in Irving my entire life. Irving was a hell of a place to live, until the rise the current public transportation system. Ever since DART moved in, it's been downhill.

Any idiot with a brain can see the improvements that have been made. Sorry you don't fall in to that category. I see changes everywhere I look. Apartments are being condemned and torn down. Cheap motels are being condemned and torn down. Downtown Irving is in the middle of a big overhaul. Downtown Las Colinas is booming now more than ever. Really, are you too blind to see what's going on in Irving?

I don't know how long Gears has been in office, but his time in office is anything but a failure. I guess you're one that thinks change happens overnight? Some magical change fairy just comes in and sprinkles pixie dust on everything, and magically the illegal problem, low income housing problem, and virtaully any other problem you can think of is fixed?
I haven't seen any difference from what little time I spend there now, but to take your word for it all I have to go on is your claims:

your neighborhood is fucked because of drunks and illegals throwing beer cans at your house, and driving drunk with no insurance or license,

there has been a huge improvement over 5 years,

5 years ago it was so much better though,

So somehow it is better and worse at the same time, and the liquor laws in existence were in existence while it was both better and worse, and somehow a change in those liquor laws is going to make it worse to live there because all the improvements over the last 5 years are going to make it regress to the awful state it was in 5 years ago when it was a "hell of a place to live before it started going downhill".

Jesus christ. How about just back up and explain why you think the change in liquor laws is going to ruin Irving?
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Worship me

I work in Irving and I really don't see the upside. I figure in 20 years it will be just as dead as downtown Dallas.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
your neighborhood is fucked because of drunks and illegals throwing beer cans at your house, and driving drunk with no insurance or license,
No, my neighborhood is not fucked. It's far from it. There is one problem neighbor on my street, and they happen to live directly across the street from me. This guy owns a company, and it used to be his personal house. Now, he's got his workers living there who are illegal. No, I'm not being racist. I know for a fact that they are illegal, as the police had to come out for one incident. I've had nothing but problems from these guys, from the day we moved in. They party until 3-4-5 in the am. Which I don't mind, because they keep to themselves and don't make much noise. The problem I do have, is that they have zero respect for the people around them. I have to pick up their trash, several days a week. There are 8+ people living in this house. It's impossible for them to keep parking contained in front of the house they live in, due to the amount of people living there. Most of which, park directly in front of my house, because it's convenient. Which, I'm ok with as well, as long as they are resepctful. The problem is, they aren't respectful. They block my driveway. They come home drunk, and pull up on my grass. They drop all their trash (beer bottles, liquor bottles, fast food waste, etc) right on the parkway in front of my house. It's only this one neighbor, though. I'd like to know what lead you to believe I was saying my neighborhood went to shit.

Quote:
there has been a huge improvement over 5 years,
Yep.

Quote:
5 years ago it was so much better though,
Now you're confused. I never said it was better 5 years ago.

Quote:
So somehow it is better and worse at the same time, and the liquor laws in existence were in existence while it was both better and worse, and somehow a change in those liquor laws is going to make it worse to live there because all the improvements over the last 5 years are going to make it regress to the awful state it was in 5 years ago when it was a "hell of a place to live before it started going downhill".
Now you've got me confused. I never said it was better and worse at the same time. I said it used to be a great place to live, prior to DART. DART has been around much longer than 5 years.

Quote:
Jesus christ. How about just back up and explain why you think the change in liquor laws is going to ruin Irving?
I've already done that, but since you missed it I'll do it again. I think trash outside of stores will be increased. I think those cheap ass banners advertising a 30 pack of Stones for $9.99 are going to pop up everywhere, and they look tacky and trashy. I think DWIs are going to increase. Yes, I realize they are already happening. Yes, I realize there are already illegals driving around with no insurance. But what I also realize, is that beer sales in Irving is going to increase the occurences of this happening. It's just making it more convenient for the people who already do so. Should I continue, or is that satisfactory?
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
I've already done that, but since you missed it I'll do it again. I think trash outside of stores will be increased. I think those cheap ass banners advertising a 30 pack of Stones for $9.99 are going to pop up everywhere, and they look tacky and trashy. I think DWIs are going to increase. Yes, I realize they are already happening. Yes, I realize there are already illegals driving around with no insurance. But what I also realize, is that beer sales in Irving is going to increase the occurences of this happening. It's just making it more convenient for the people who already do so. Should I continue, or is that satisfactory?
That was all I was asking for. Which sounds like a legit concern. I just didn't see what you thought would be worse, since comparable neighborhoods across the spectrum (trashy and clean) have beer at the local kwik-e-marts for better or worse.

I got the impression of shithole from your complaints, you made it sound like you lived in a nasty neigborhood (from just the limited description). I can sympathize with having one stupid individual throwing trash in my otherwise clean yard so that I have to make the wife go out and pick up after him. The guy that lives here does that a lot
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Factory Issue

Thumbs up

Erath County went wet! Woot!

Give me a dollar.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
I can sympathize with having one stupid individual throwing trash in my otherwise clean yard so that I have to make the wife go out and pick up after him. The guy that lives here does that a lot

Like I said, I go out about 4-5 times a week and collect trash from my front yard. I got so tired of wasting my own trash bags to do so, now I just drop it all on their front porch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement