Originally Posted by Denny
It isn't his fault that this happened, but the escalation could have been avoided if we went in early. Now we're going to have a bigger mess than we wanted. BTW, we ARE going in, just don't know when, though.
I dunno man. If the US went in I think we would have a much larger mess right now. The biggest problem for us is that we are in so deep with Iraq that we can't afford a 3rd offensive front. This is why the Russians went ahead with the invasion. Toe to toe they know they cant' face down the US in a ground, air, or sea war but when we can't put a large number of troops on the ground to begin with they can afford to be bold.
Honestly I think Georgia is lost.
BTW, anyone notice that a withdraw timetable for Iraq appears to be in the works? That one Iraq minister indicated that it is all but a done deal. I think 3 years is very possible.
Just a few somewhat related thoughts..
1. I bet the Ukraine becomes a NATO member pretty damn quickly...
2. John McCain just got handed the Presidency. He is way ahead of the curve when it comes to dealing with Russia and Putin.
3. The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program is about to get accelerated.
4. The F-22 just became a helluva lot more relevant.
5. Somewhere in the Pentagon, someone is wondering if we can restart B2 production.
6. Russia can kiss WTO membership goodbye.
7. Domestic oil drilling just became more important (to reduce Russia's oil influence)