Russia attacks Georgia - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

Russia attacks Georgia

I made the prediction that they would be at war before the end of the year and I was right. Now we have to see if anyone comes to their aid.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe...tia/index.html

TBLISI, Georgia (CNN) -- Georgia's president said Friday that his country is under attack by Russian tanks and warplanes, and he accused Russia of targeting civilians as tensions over the breakaway Georgian region of South Ossetia appeared to boil over into full-blown conflict.

Russia's Channel 1 shows heavy tanks purported to be on their way to South Ossetia.

1 of 2 "All day today, they've been bombing Georgia from numerous warplanes and specifically targeting (the) civilian population, and we have scores of wounded and dead among (the) civilian population all around the country," President Mikhail Saakashvili told CNN in an exclusive interview.

"This is the worst nightmare one can encounter," he said.

Asked whether Georgia and Russia were now at war, he said, "My country is in self-defense against Russian aggression. Russian troops invaded Georgia." Watch the interview with Saakashvili »

About 150 Russian armored vehicles have entered South Ossetia, Saakashvili said, and Georgian forces had shot down two Russian aircraft.

Russia's Defense Ministry said it sent "reinforcements" to South Ossetia to help the Russian peacekeepers already stationed there. Watch the Russian tanks moving into the area »

The events followed an emergency session of the U.N. Security Council to discuss a dramatic escalation of violence in Georgia and South Ossetia. The session ended Friday morning without a statement about the fighting.

The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) said it was sending an envoy to the region immediately.

NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer issued a statement Friday saying he was seriously concerned about the recent events in the region, and he called on all sides to end armed clashes and begin direct talks. Watch more about NATO's attempts to help Georgia »

Carmen Romero, a NATO spokeswoman speaking to CNN from Brussels, reiterated Scheffer's statement. She said NATO was in regular contact with Georgia's president and was talking to the Russian side.

Britain and the United States also urged all sides to bring an immediate end to the violence.

"The U.S. has been in discussions for many months with all parties to find a peaceful resolution," said White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe. "We urge all sides to refrain from violence and to begin direct talks."

Earlier Friday, Russian military aircraft dropped two bombs on Georgian territory, a Georgian official said, causing no casualties.

In a letter addressed to his "fellow citizens" Friday, Saakashvili said he had mobilized tens of thousands of reserve officers and that the mobilization continued.

Don't Miss
Georgia's territorial turmoil
Georgia orders cease fire, offers talks
Reports: 6 die as Georgia shells South Ossetia
Shootings heighten Georgia tension
"We must unite," Saakashvili wrote. "All of us, hundreds of thousands of Georgians here and abroad, should come together, unite, and fight to save Georgia. We are a freedom-loving people, and if our nation is united, no aggressor will be able to harm it."

Georgia declared a unilateral three-hour ceasefire at 3 p.m. to enable civilians to escape from the conflict zone, which so far was focused inside South Ossetia but included aerial targets inside Georgia, Saakashvili said.

"Clearly they don't really have boundaries in their activities," said Georgian Foreign Minister Eka Tkeshelashvili, in an interview with CNN. She said Russian aircraft had bombed "several villages" in Georgia outside of the South Ossetian territory.

Tkeshelashvili said Georgian authorities are still collecting information on casualties.

Georgia was appealing to the world for diplomatic intervention, she said, stressing that Georgia was not asking for military assistance.

Violence has been mounting in the region in recent days, with sporadic clashes between Georgian forces and South Ossetian separatists. South Ossetia declared its independence from Georgia in the early 1990s, but its independence is not internationally recognized.

Georgian troops launched new attacks in South Ossetia late Thursday after a top government official said a unilateral cease-fire offer was met with separatist artillery fire.

Alexander Lomaia, the secretary of Georgia's National Security Council, said Georgian troops were responding proportionately to separatist mortar and artillery attacks on two villages -- attacks he said followed the cease-fire and call for negotiations by Saakashvili.

Russia said a Georgian attack on a military barracks left a number of Russian peacekeepers dead.

"It's all very sad and alarming," Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said earlier in the day. "And, of course, there will be a response."

Putin was at a meeting with U.S. President Bush in Beijing, where they attended a luncheon for world leaders hosted by the Chinese president ahead of the Olympics, which begin Friday.

"There are lots of volunteers being gathered in the region, and it's very hard to withhold them from taking part. A real war is going on," Putin said, according to his spokesman, Dmitry Peskov.

Russian peacekeepers are in South Ossetia under a 1992 agreement by Russian, Georgian, and South Ossetian authorities to maintain what has been a fragile peace. The mixed peacekeeping force also includes Georgian and South Ossetian troops.

"The Georgian leadership has launched a dirty adventure," said a statement from Russia's Defense Ministry on Friday. "We will not leave our peacekeepers and Russian citizens unprotected."

Saakashvili said the Russian invasion of South Ossetia was pre-planned.

"These troops that are in Georgia now -- they didn't come unexpectedly," the president told CNN. "They had been amassing at the border for the last few months. They claimed they were staging exercises there and as soon as a suitable pretext was found, they moved in."

Georgia, located on the Black Sea coast between Russia and Turkey, has been split by Russian-backed separatist movements in South Ossetia and another region, Abkhazia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Lifer

Yep, looks like some shit is hitting a fan.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #3 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:18 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Damn.

I always liked Atlanta. I wonder if this is gonna affect my trip to North Carolina in a couple of weeks to see my cousin. We usually stop in Georgia for gas. I bet gas prices will be higher in Georgia.

Interestingly, I've never heard of TBLISI. Is it close to Atlanta?

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)

post #4 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Damn.

I always liked Atlanta. I wonder if this is gonna affect my trip to North Carolina in a couple of weeks to see my cousin. We usually stop in Georgia for gas. I bet gas prices will be higher in Georgia.

Interestingly, I've never heard of TBLISI. Is it close to Atlanta?
The Russians can have Fulton County.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #5 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I have a feeling that the Iraq War may have just gotten a time table.

And a short one at that.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #6 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
They just trying to break out vick

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128
Powered by: Tripp Motorsports E85 carburetor

NHRA Super Street-4040
IHRA Hot Rod-404
NHRA ET-404M
IHRA SSS-4X4M

How am I supposed to get my own T-Shirt with all those different numbers?
post #7 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

Heard this last night on BBC. I think a lot of people saw it coming.

DFWMustangs.net
post #8 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Lifer

Wow, that sounds like something we have no business getting in the middle of, but will.
post #9 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Every day is.............

re: your sig..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird

Is a push-off for a slingshot an oxymoron?

David
post #10 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Lifer

You need some rest, David.
post #11 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
I have a feeling that the Iraq War may have just gotten a time table.

And a short one at that.
Nope, but there's already movement and talk. It makes our next tasking just a little more difficult, though.
post #12 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Censored

Wonder if that is what Denny meant by what he said at the end of this thread. Going to Georgia.

https://dfwstangs.net/forums/showthre...&goto=lastpost

Doors Done Rite
post #13 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Lifer

Russia is going after terrorists, whats wrong with that?
post #14 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996
Did you miss the words "specifically targeting the civillian population"?

You really are quite thick headed, sir.

post #15 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Kudos to them for also punishing the civilian population. Finally a real war!!
post #16 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135
I think a lot of people saw it coming.
Since 1992 people have seen it coming

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128
Powered by: Tripp Motorsports E85 carburetor

NHRA Super Street-4040
IHRA Hot Rod-404
NHRA ET-404M
IHRA SSS-4X4M

How am I supposed to get my own T-Shirt with all those different numbers?
post #17 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Lifer

I believe I read the term "ethnic cleansing" in that report. It's going to be interesting watching this unfold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #18 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
Did you miss the words "specifically targeting the civillian population"?

You really are quite thick headed, sir.
terrorists are civilians
post #19 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:30 PM
PAN

Quote:
terrorists are civilians

Cool! By your rationale we can now turn the entire middle east into a plate of glass...

Last edited by Fox466; 08-08-2008 at 04:02 PM.
post #20 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Every day is.............

Quote:
terrorists are civilians
Yes, and civilians aren't terrorist!

David
post #21 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
terrorists are civilians
So you are in favor of what we do in Gitmo? I'm kind of shocked by that.
post #22 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Lifer

terrorists are not military, if they are not military then what are they???
...they are civilians.

not every civilian is a terrorist, you guys are falling for the liberal midias bull shit
post #23 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
terrorists are civilians
Well fuck! Let's flatten the entire Middle East if that's your rationale!

post #24 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
Well fuck! Let's flatten the entire Middle East if that's your rationale!
isnt that what we are doing...going after all the civilian terrorists
post #25 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
...they are civilians.
Actually, they are considered unauthorized/organized militia or guerillas... NOT civilians. Only terrorists claim they are civilians when the shit hits the fan and they are getting their ass kicked to get sympathy from the world.

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #26 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
IA2

Quote:
...they are civilians.

not every civilian is a terrorist, you guys are falling for the liberal midias bull shit
Well, technically they are waging a kind of war, so I guess this makes them a kind of military, albeit unsanctioned. And i'll guarantee you that within their organizations they are organized by a hierarchy of classifications of rank of some kind, just like a real military. And they perform training for their activities, just like a real military.

If it walks like a duck.... etc.

They are most certainly not innocent "civilians".

Who is falling for bullshit now?
post #27 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
isnt that what we are doing...going after all the civilian terrorists
There's a difference between going after members of unofficial guerilla groups that are gathered in militias and then going and killing innocent, largely unarmed civiliians for the fun of it. The Russians know how to do it best, after all; they've been doing it for the past century now.

post #28 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Lifer

I never said they were inocent civilians, if they are not military then they are civilian, you can dress it up anyway you want to calling them militia, freedom fighter, unlawful, but they are still civilian, thus not under the protection of the geneva convention.
post #29 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
I never said they were inocent civilians, if they are not military then they are civilian, you can dress it up anyway you want to calling them militia, freedom fighter, unlawful, but they are still civilian, thus not under the protection of the geneva convention.
Guerilla fighters are not protected in any way. Because of the way they fight, they encourage civilian casualties. The agreement covers civilians and POWs. Most liberal cock jockeys don't want to admit this but it is pretty clear if you read the document that guerillas are fair game for anything you want to do to them.
post #30 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:32 PM
not exclude

God damn you guys are getting wrapped around the axle over some stupid bullshit. It's fairly obviously, contextually, that they are claiming that Russia is targeting NONCOMBATANTS.

Hell, I'll bet that the Georgian president didn't even use the word "civilian". He probably fucking said it in another language.
post #31 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Musician for the deaf

I don't think anyone has made the connection yet, but all the hue and cry about Bush waging a war for oil over the caspian Sea Pipeline was a little misdirected.

THIS is what a war over oil is like.

Denny knew about the terrorist attacks that shut it down in Turkey, and put 2+2 together.

He may win his bet
post #32 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Time Served

The other notable thing about this is that both Russia and Georgia have their Olympic teams in Beijing right now. Just saw them appear in the parade of nations in the opening ceremonies.
post #33 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:12 PM
not exclude

I really don't see how that's so notable...lol
post #34 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:22 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
Fuck you, asshole!
post #35 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:08 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I don't think anyone has made the connection yet, but all the hue and cry about Bush waging a war for oil over the caspian Sea Pipeline was a little misdirected.

THIS is what a war over oil is like.

Denny knew about the terrorist attacks that shut it down in Turkey, and put 2+2 together.

He may win his bet
Hey, if every time a terrorist attacks a pipeline the price of oil goes down almost $5.00... I hope they attack alot of them.

Oil will inversely follow the dollar. Given the state of the European economy the dollar isn't slowing down any time soon.

Oil closed inside my "critical zone." Should be an interesting week ahead.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #36 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Out

Gentlemen, gentlemen...

Calm down! Jeez! LOL

I'm not going to Georgia. I do have a friend there that I haven't heard from since this all started. I'm not sure what city he is in either. This isn't the incident that'll secure my oil claim, it's just a part of the things I've been expecting, some have happened and some still need to happen. I'll have to admit, oil is dropping a little faster than I expected, though. Might be close, but I just need oil to stay above $100 until the end of September.
post #37 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceStang
The other notable thing about this is that both Russia and Georgia have their Olympic teams in Beijing right now. Just saw them appear in the parade of nations in the opening ceremonies.
Noted!!! BAHAHAHA!!!

Wait... I think the US, Iran, China, and Israel do too. Shit, this guy might be on to something here.
post #38 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Oil closed inside my "critical zone." Should be an interesting week ahead.
That's my only problem now... I'd be exited as shit if I wasn't betting against it. LOL!!!
post #39 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Out

Gentlemen, war is being declared...

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/eu...tia/index.html
post #40 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Which one's the clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Gentlemen, gentlemen...

Calm down! Jeez! LOL

I'm not going to Georgia. I do have a friend there that I haven't heard from since this all started. I'm not sure what city he is in either. This isn't the incident that'll secure my oil claim, it's just a part of the things I've been expecting, some have happened and some still need to happen. I'll have to admit, oil is dropping a little faster than I expected, though. Might be close, but I just need oil to stay above $100 until the end of September.

can i get a back story on what you predicted?

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #41 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie
can i get a back story on what you predicted?
What did I predict?
post #42 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Lifer

Quote:

This is really not good. I'm not smart enough to know all the ramifications, but I am smart enough to know that this is not good.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #43 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
This is really not good. I'm not smart enough to know all the ramifications, but I am smart enough to know that this is not good.
Here's the thing. Georgia is an Independant Democracy. The US will back them no matter what, so they know we'll be there if war is officially declared. It was probably going to happen eventually, but now our movement will be expidited. We've already played an active role since our aircraft carried Goergian troops out of Iraq and back to their home.
post #44 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Which one's the clutch?

Quote:
Gentlemen, gentlemen...

Calm down! Jeez! LOL

not sure what you predicted, but you predicted something it looks like. thats why i wanted the back story.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #45 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie
not sure what you predicted, but you predicted something it looks like. thats why i wanted the back story.
I really didn't predict anything, just knew about a few pipelines getting hit, a few opening up and some unstable activity that has eventually escallated. There are still some other activities that will come to surface and some stratigic movement that, as soon as the news gets word of it, will cause some more uproar. I'm not smart enough to predict things, I only anticipate and get some information a little earlier than most. I'd probably be pretty danerous if I had a decent head on my shoulders. LOL!
post #46 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #47 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Lifer

Anybody see this part?

Quote:
"The city of Tskhinvali no longer exists. There is nothing left. It was wiped out by the Georgian military," the Russian news agency Interfax said, quoting the Russian ambassador to Georgia, Vyacheslav Kovalenko.
You mean to tell me the Georgian Military destroyed their own city? WTF? Sounds like some creative reporting to me.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #48 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Out

This shit just got sick real quick. Fucking disgusting...
post #49 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Out

One of the bases that was leveled was populated by US Marines not more than three months ago. The ONLY reason their an independant democracy is because they're our ally. They have (had) the third largest troop count out here in Iraq (behind the US and UK). Talk about a sacrifice! Those guys need/deserve our help and support. This was a highly pre-meditated attack by the USSR, uh, er Russia. It needs to be dealt with and now. Less troops in Iraq? FUCK NO!!! Bring some more! This is our staging area. Russia and Iran are now on the "to be fucked" list. We need to release the reigns of the Israelis and pull our gloves off as well. Take care of this shit NOW, before it gets out of fucking hand!!!
post #50 of 193 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Out

After the airstrike on the nearby airfield, Georgia pulled it's forces out of South Ossetia. Shit... I bet it's not even close to over. Now you have a Russian occupying force within the country. You can't tell me it's not about controlling the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan Pipeline (BTC) and the South Caucasus Pipeline. Fucking Russians are just using "aiding the sepratisits" as an excuse. THey want those pipeline. They know Iran is about to get a boot in their ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement