Five months for Bin Laden Driver - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Five months for Bin Laden Driver

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba A U.S. military jury gave Osama bin Laden's driver a surprisingly light sentence on Thursday, making him eligible for release in just five months despite the prosecutors' request for at least a 30-year sentence to deter would-be terrorists.

Salim Hamdan's sentence of 5 1/2 years, including five years and a month already served at Guantanamo Bay, fell far short of the life sentence he could have gotten for aiding terrorism by driving and guarding bin Laden. It now goes for mandatory review to a Pentagon official who can shorten the sentence but not extend it.

It remains unclear what will happen to Hamdan once his sentence is served, since the U.S. military has said it won't release anyone who still represents a threat. The judge, Navy Capt. Keith Allred, said Hamdan, who is from Yemen, would likely be eligible for the same administrative review process as other Guantanamo prisoners.

Defense lawyers said they expect Hamdan will be let go in five months. "It was all for show if Mr. Hamdan does not go home in December," said Charles Swift, one of Hamdan's civilian attorneys.

Hamdan thanked the jurors for the sentence and repeated his apology for having served bin Laden.

"I would like to apologize one more time to all the members and I would like to thank you for what you have done for me," Hamdan told the five-man, one-woman jury, all military officers hand-picked by the Pentagon for the first U.S. war crimes trial in a half-century.

Hamdan was found guilty of supporting terrorism by serving as bin Laden's armed bodyguard and driver while knowing the al-Qaida leader was plotting U.S. attacks. But he was found not guilty of providing missiles to al-Qaida and knowing his work would be used for terrorism. He also was cleared of being part of al-Qaida's conspiracy to attack the United States _ the most serious charges he faced.

The military has not said where Hamdan will serve his sentence, but the commander of the detention center, Navy Rear Adm. David Thomas, said last week that convicted prisoners will be held apart from the general detainee population at the isolated U.S. military base in southeast Cuba.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 06:21 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Its gonna be interesting to see what the Military does with him.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Bullet Sponge

I vote that he has an "incident" with an inmate and is mortally wounded.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Token Union Member

The U.S. has the legal right to keep him captive until the war with terror is over. Which we all know will never end. My guess is he dies in cuba and never sees the motherland again.

TRAIN TRASH it's like WHITE TRASH but with money.

My other vehicle is a Locomotive.

Don't cupple up without protection.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Lifer

And the weak and confusing messages just keep on coming.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreightTrain
The U.S. has the legal right to keep him captive until the war with terror is over. Which we all know will never end. My guess is he dies in cuba and never sees the motherland again.
I'm not 100% positive on this but I think that only applies to people that are declared prisoners of war. Non of the Gitmo detainees have been declared prisoners of war but instead called enemy combatants.

Also, I think the way the Supreme Court has been leaning on this issue I think the Bush Administration would be hard pressed to keep him in custody.

Another factor is that the elections will be over by the time this guy finishes his five months. McCain has already stated that he will close Gitmo. Obama would probably give the guy a ride on AirForce One.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Out

Fuck that trial

Fuck that jury

Fuck the sentence

Fuck that mother fucker

It sickens me when these fuckers get released out here, let alone through the "proper process." How the FUCK is this ending terrorism?!?!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

the government created the trail processes, spent millions of dollars, and will spend even more. if they are going to ignore the system that they just created, then what is the point??
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996
the government created the trail processes, spent millions of dollars, and will spend even more. if they are going to ignore the system that they just created, then what is the point??
Don't worry yourself. They'll release your little buddy.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Token Union Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Don't worry yourself. They'll release your little buddy.
LMAO

TRAIN TRASH it's like WHITE TRASH but with money.

My other vehicle is a Locomotive.

Don't cupple up without protection.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

whos my little buddy?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

Quote:
whos my little buddy?
Obviously you're of the opinion that this outcome is perfectly ok; hence by association you're closer to the driver's point of view than you are those of the American people.

Hey the system worked! The mother fucker who drove BIN FUCKING LADIN HIMSELF around gets five months! Yeah, that sounds about right.

Do you really believe this flea-bitten sone of a whore had absolutely no knowledge of what was going on during the planning of 9-11? Would you be able to stand up and tell the bereaved family members of the thousands who were killed on 9-11 that the man got five months in jail and you're perfectly ok with it? Get real.

At first I figured you were just an ignorant bright-eyed schoolboy who thinks that deep down, people are really ok, that a hug and a Coke solves everything. Now I'm pretty convinced that you're an idiot.

DFWMustangs.net
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Out

Quote:
whos my little buddy?
Well, I'll be damned...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135
Obviously you're of the opinion that this outcome is perfectly ok; hence by association you're closer to the driver's point of view than you are those of the American people.

Hey the system worked! The mother fucker who drove BIN FUCKING LADIN HIMSELF around gets five months! Yeah, that sounds about right.

Do you really believe this flea-bitten sone of a whore had absolutely no knowledge of what was going on during the planning of 9-11? Would you be able to stand up and tell the bereaved family members of the thousands who were killed on 9-11 that the man got five months in jail and you're perfectly ok with it? Get real.

At first I figured you were just an ignorant bright-eyed schoolboy who thinks that deep down, people are really ok, that a hug and a Coke solves everything. Now I'm pretty convinced that you're an idiot.
actually NO I am not, I am actually really pissed that our government wasted all this money on a trail that has a meaningless outcome. These trials are not cheap, at least a million bucks a piece, and each detainee will get one at the expence of the US tax payer, even though the outcome is meaningless.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Lifer

IMO That pile of shit should have a bullet in his head and dumped in the ocean, fish gotta eat too.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Lifer

A another indication of the nauseating weakness of this country. 5 months is a slap on the wrist for a guy like that and an insult to all the victims of terrorism.

Being soft on terrorism during the punitive phase of punishment makes a whole lot of sense. I feel so much safer now.

It's funny how people forget the intense visceral feeling and sentiment of this country just 7 years ago. I haven't forgotten, why has everyone else forgotten? 5 or 6 years ago when the fervor was still high this guy would not have gotten off with a possible 5 month sentence.

Sad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Fuck that trial

Fuck that jury

Fuck the sentence

Fuck that mother fucker

It sickens me when these fuckers get released out here, let alone through the "proper process." How the FUCK is this ending terrorism?!?!
Well, remember those that got released and sent to afghanistan?

They had a long-term rental agreement with a steel cargo container in the hot sun...
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
It's funny how people forget the intense visceral feeling and sentiment of this country just 7 years ago. I haven't forgotten, why has everyone else forgotten?

Sad!
I KNOW you ain't talkin to me.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
actually NO I am not, I am actually really pissed that our government wasted all this money on a trail that has a meaningless outcome. These trials are not cheap, at least a million bucks a piece, and each detainee will get one at the expence of the US tax payer, even though the outcome is meaningless.
Damned good point.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper

They had a long-term rental agreement with a steel cargo container in the hot sun...
Damn soldiers and their Ready-Bake Ovens. LOL!!!!
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
A another indication of the nauseating weakness of this country. 5 months is a slap on the wrist for a guy like that and an insult to all the victims of terrorism.

Being soft on terrorism during the punitive phase of punishment makes a whole lot of sense. I feel so much safer now.

It's funny how people forget the intense visceral feeling and sentiment of this country just 7 years ago. I haven't forgotten, why has everyone else forgotten? 5 or 6 years ago when the fervor was still high this guy would not have gotten off with a possible 5 month sentence.

Sad!
You're going to have to throw me a few clues...
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Num say'n? (tm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper

That makes me a sad panda!

DFWMustangs.net
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost
I vote that he has an "incident" with an inmate and is mortally wounded.
Cockmeat sandwich.
SS

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
-Samuel Johnson
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Bullet Sponge

Yep. Definately a cockmeat sandwhich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement