Denny could be paying up - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Denny could be paying up

Sooner than he thinks.

Oil down 2 bucks to 117 as inventories are up more than expected.

"Oil tumbles on surprise jump in supply
Crude futures fall nearly $2 a barrel after the government reports that inventories rose more than expected."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Sooner than he thinks.

Oil down 2 bucks to 117 as inventories are up more than expected.

"Oil tumbles on surprise jump in supply
Crude futures fall nearly $2 a barrel after the government reports that inventories rose more than expected."
Nah... I'm good for now.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Nah... I'm good for now.
for now...

Where are all those people betting $5 a gallon gas by labor day and the speculators claiming $200 a barrel was nearing!

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Out

Quote:
for now...

Where are all those people betting $5 a gallon gas by labor day and the speculators claiming $200 a barrel was nearing!
I'm not going to go there either, but things should be doing a U-turn around the time I'll be home for a week or so.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Lifer

I believe it was $15/gal gasoline...

And I bet neither has to pay by the 12/31 deadline.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Imagine that.

Oil Falls After U.S. Supplies Increase, Fuel Demand Declines

By Margot Habiby

Aug. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Crude oil futures fell after a U.S. government report showed an unexpected increase in inventories and an extended decline in fuel demand.

Crude supplies rose 1.61 million barrels to 296.9 million barrels in the week ended Aug. 1, the Energy Department said today in its weekly report. Inventories were forecast to fall 200,000 barrels, according to the median of analyst estimates in a Bloomberg News survey.

``The market focus is shifting back toward the direct oil fundamentals, such as how's demand, where's supply and where are inventories?, and away from some of the wider issues like what's the Federal Reserve Board doing with interest rates,'' said Tim Evans, an energy analyst with Citi Futures Perspective in New York.

Crude oil for September delivery fell $1.62, or 1.4 percent, to $117.55 a barrel at 11:35 a.m. on the New York Mercantile Exchange. It has fallen more than 20 percent since reaching a record $147.27 a barrel on July 11, the definition of a bear market.

U.S. fuel demand averaged 20.1 million barrels a day during the four weeks ended Aug. 1, down 2.6 percent from a year earlier, according to Energy Department data released today.

The Energy Department released its weekly supply report at 10:35 a.m. in Washington.

Oil rose as high as $120.49 a barrel earlier after the U.S. State Department said world powers have agreed to pursue further sanctions against Iran.

The U.S. and other permanent members of the United Nations Security Council reached the decision after receiving Iran's response to an incentives package aimed at persuading the Persian Gulf country to suspend uranium enrichment, Gonzalo Gallegos, a State Department spokesman, told reporters in Washington.

`No Choice'

``We have no choice but to pursue further measures,'' Gallegos said, calling Iran's response a ``stalling tactic.''

Oil also rose after a Turkish section of a BP Plc-led pipeline for Azeri crude was shut by an explosion. The cause of the blast and the timing of the resumption of flows were unclear, a spokesman at the Ankara-based Energy Ministry said.

``It's a huge pipeline and European consumers' dependency on it is increasing,'' said Hannes Loacker, an analyst at Raiffeisen Zentralbank Oesterreich in Vienna. ``After dropping $30 in four weeks it's easily possible for things like this to increase prices.''

BP spokesman Robert Wine in London said there is no impact on exports from Ceyhan and that the company is starting up another pipeline from Baku as an alternative export route. BP and its partners shipped almost 1 million barrels a day through the Azerbaijan-Turkey link in May.

The Baku-Tblisi-Ceyhan pipeline may reopen next week after repairs, which will take ``a few days,'' said Mehmet Akif Sam, a spokesman for the Energy Ministry.

Brazil Project

Chevron Corp. and its partners may be forced to delay the start of a $2.8 billion oil project in Brazil by three months because a platform and rig will be delivered behind schedule.

Production at the offshore Frade field in Brazil may only begin in March and reach a peak of about 100,000 barrels a day in two years, said officials at one of the project partners, who asked not to be identified before an announcement. ``If there are any more delays, March sounds right,'' said Luis Felipe Reis, Chevron Brasil's communications manager.

Brent crude for September settlement fell $1.55, or 1.3 percent, to $116.15 a barrel on London's ICE Futures Europe exchange. Earlier, it touched $115.60 a barrel.

To contact the reporter on this story: Margot Habiby in Dallas at [email protected].

Last Updated: August 6, 2008 12:07 EDT

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird

It'll go to the closest.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:

Closest to the pin on 12/31. Unless it sits at 125.00 someone gets paid.

post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:

Care to place a wager with the same stips...100 I win, 150 you win...

Closest to the pin on 12/31?

$50/100/150$?
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Closest to the pin on 12/31. Unless it sits at 125.00 someone gets paid.
Something tells me if I don't pay by Sept 30th, you're going to have a good race on your hands
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:11 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Something tells me if I don't pay by Sept 30th, you're going to have a good race on your hands
LOL.

Now here is a bet!

Quote:
I don't share Matthew Simmons's angst, but I admire his style. He is that rare doomsayer who puts his money where his doom is.

After reading his prediction, quoted Sunday in the cover story of The New York Times Magazine, that oil prices will soar into the triple digits, I called to ask if he'd back his prophecy with cash. Without a second's hesitation, he agreed to bet me $5,000.

His only concern seemed to be that he was fleecing me. Mr. Simmons, the head of a Houston investment bank specializing in the energy industry, patiently explained to me why Saudi Arabia's oil production would falter much sooner than expected. That's the thesis of his new book, "Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy."

I didn't try to argue with him about Saudi Arabia, because I know next to nothing about oil production there or anywhere else. I'm just following the advice of a mentor and friend, the economist Julian Simon: if you find anyone willing to bet that natural resource prices are going up, take him for all you can.

Julian took up gambling during the last end-of-oil crisis, in 1980, when experts were predicting a new age of scarcity as the planet's resources were depleted by the growing population. Julian had debunked these fears in "The Ultimate Resource," the bible of Cornucopian economics, which showed how human ingenuity had kept driving down the price of energy and other natural resources for centuries.

He offered to bet the pessimists that oil or any other resource they chose would be cheaper, in real terms, at any date they picked in the future. The ecologist Paul Ehrlich, author of "The Population Bomb" and "The End of Affluence," took up his offer and chose copper, tin and three other metals worth $1,000 in 1980.

When the famous bet was settled 10 years later, the value of the metals had declined by more than half. As usual, people had found new ways to get the metals as well as cheaper substitutes, like the fiber optic cables that replaced copper telephone wires.

After collecting his winnings, Julian expanded his challenge, offering to bet anyone on any other resource price or measure of human welfare. Julian, who died in 1998, never managed to persuade Mr. Ehrlich or other prominent doomsayers to take his bets again. But now we have a braver prophet in Mr. Simmons.

I proposed to him a bet using what Julian considered the best measure of a resource's value: how it compares with the average worker's wage. I offered to bet that the price of oil would not rise faster than the average wage, meaning that future workers would be able to afford oil more easily than they could today.

Mr. Simmons said he favored a simpler wager, based on his expectation that the price of oil, now about $65 per barrel, would more than triple during the next five years. He said he'd bet that the price in 2010, when adjusted for inflation so it's stated in 2005 dollars, would be at least $200 per barrel.

Remembering a tip from Julian, I suggested that we use the average price for the whole year of 2010 instead of the price on any particular date - that way, neither of us would be vulnerable to a sudden short-term swing as the market reacted to some unexpected news. Mr. Simmons agreed, and we sealed the deal by e-mail.

The first person I told was Julian's widow, Rita Simon, a public affairs professor at American University. She was delighted to see Julian's tradition carried on and thought the bet sounded so good she wanted a piece of the action herself.

With Mr. Simmons's approval, we arranged for Rita and me to split the wager, with each of us putting up $2,500 against Mr. Simmons's $5,000. (Note to accounting department: I'm aware that my expense account doesn't cover gambling. I'm using my own money.) All the money is being put into escrow in a joint account; the winning side will collect the $10,000 plus any accrued interest on Jan. 1, 2011.

I realize this isn't a sure thing, because the price of oil has risen before - it quintupled in the 1970's. But then it dropped, thanks to new discoveries and technologies, validating the Cornucopians' optimism.

So I figure the long-term odds are with me. And while I'm at it, I'll extend Julian's challenge and consider bets from anyone else convinced that our way of life is "unsustainable." If you think the price of oil or some other natural resource is going to soar, show me the money.

Email: [email protected]

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:43 PM
reppin tha westside

100 a barrel and 3.00 a gallon fuel by nov 1

write that down

------------------------------------------------------------------------
El Duderino.......of the Crown Royal Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Jester, your posts do the same thing as going to a county fair, you really make people think "Hey, I'm not so fucked up after looking at that guy!"
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Every day is.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwell
100 a barrel and 3.00 a gallon fuel by nov 1

write that down
If so, I'll buy you one of those cheap beers you're holding in Dannys pic.

David
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 PM
reppin tha westside

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajet69
If so, I'll buy you one of those cheap beers you're holding in Dannys pic.

David
duly noted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
El Duderino.......of the Crown Royal Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Jester, your posts do the same thing as going to a county fair, you really make people think "Hey, I'm not so fucked up after looking at that guy!"
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

December 100 put options looking pretty strong at the moment. The 110 December put options aren't as strong meaning that traders think the price will be between 100-110 in December. More than 3 to 1.

I was pretty close when I gave it my 70% chance of hitting 100.

Last week for every bet there was for the price of oil to increase there were 10 bets it was going down.

post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
for now...

I'm one that thought $5 a gallon was coming. $200 oil, I don't know. We need to get by this little bump in the road with Iran before I'll totally give up on a huge spike. Is it likely, no. Possible? Yes.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
I'm one that thought $5 a gallon was coming. $200 oil, I don't know. We need to get by this little bump in the road with Iran before I'll totally give up on a huge spike. Is it likely, no. Possible? Yes.
That is my thoughts on this whole deal, we are still going over bumps and even with the market making a slight turn there is always that "hurricane" that can occur and shoot this thing back to around $150 or higher. Market is still in a bubble and just because it is deflating doesnt mean it is going to pop just yet.

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128
Powered by: Tripp Motorsports E85 carburetor

NHRA Super Street-4040
IHRA Hot Rod-404
NHRA ET-404M
IHRA SSS-4X4M

How am I supposed to get my own T-Shirt with all those different numbers?
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax404m
That is my thoughts on this whole deal, we are still going over bumps and even with the market making a slight turn there is always that "hurricane" that can occur and shoot this thing back to around $150 or higher. Market is still in a bubble and just because it is deflating doesnt mean it is going to pop just yet.
I heard a guest on talk radio this morning (Beck's show), saying he feared Israel going after Iran, and it easily leading to $300 a barrel oil, if they sent in missiles. Sounded pretty realistic to me...

post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:23 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

ah... those of so little faith... have I ever led you astray before?

Dollar is at 8 week highs against the Euro and Oil is at 7 or 8 week lows. Until the dollar loses its current steam oil is going no where but down. Given the fear of a global economic slowdown the dollar, for whatever reason, is still considered "safe haven."

post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:38 PM
<Insert Title Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
ah... those of so little faith... have I ever led you astray before?

Dollar is at 8 week highs against the Euro and Oil is at 7 or 8 week lows. Until the dollar loses its current steam oil is going no where but down. Given the fear of a global economic slowdown the dollar, for whatever reason, is still considered "safe haven."
Don't forget precious metals are flopping like dead fish. Gold, Silver, Platinum are all down.

So those hedges aren't doing so hot against our rapidly-strengthening dollar.

o1wc, I believe.

post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restomod66
Don't forget precious metals are flopping like dead fish. Gold, Silver, Platinum are all down.

So those hedges aren't doing so hot against our rapidly-strengthening dollar.

o1wc, I believe.
Haha.

Yea the entire commodity range got bitch slapped this month.

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
for now...

I have to admit, I was one of those people. I am GLAD that I was wrong!
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris
I have to admit, I was one of those people. I am GLAD that I was wrong!
Hey man, me too. I'm just afraid to think we're already in the clear. All it takes is one mad little jew to send a nuke into Tehran, it's "game on"!

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
Hey man, me too. I'm just afraid to think we're already in the clear. All it takes is one mad little jew to send a nuke into Tehran, it's "game on"!
I am sorry, but I about fell out the chair laughing, luckily I hadn't taken a drink yet

Then again 01WC you are right on the commoditys getting their ass's handed to them, then again I wonder what happens after the olympics are over and Chinas oil demand plunges?

on an off topic rant we moved floors at the office 2 weeks ago and I cant get my damn KLIF to come into reception anymore so no more beck then again WBAP comes in crystal clear now and I can listen to the fat f*ck mark davis again /rant off

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128