Why Democrats don't want to lower gas prices - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

Why Democrats don't want to lower gas prices

Senator lets cat out of the bag on Bloomberg TV show

WASHINGTON – A Democratic senator on the Energy and Natural Resources Committee inadvertently explained why her colleagues have no intention of ending the moratorium on offshore oil drilling or increasing the areas open for exploration and production – no matter how popular the idea might be with gas prices soaring.

In an interview with Bloomberg TV's "Money and Politics" last night, Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., explained Democrats don't want to increase supplies of oil and gasoline because they want to wean Americans off of petroleum products.

Asked point-blank if Democrats in the Senate would consider how increasing the supply of oil would lower the prices that are pinching U.S. consumers, Cantwell replied: "Oh, we definitely want to move beyond petroleum. And so there will be a supply side offered by the Democrats and it will include everything from battery technology to making sure that we have good home domestic supply, and looking, as I said about moving faster on those kind of things like wind and solar that can help us with our high cost of natural gas."

The point was underlined by Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, who said Democrats are not even permitting debate on legislation and amendments designed to increase the supply of oil and gasoline to U.S. consumers.

"Today, the appropriations markup that was going to include amendments that would open up the outer continental shelf and maybe even shale in Colorado and Utah was canceled," she told the same Bloomberg interviewer. "It wasn't postponed, it was canceled. So that indicates to me that the majority is not going to try to have an open debate, but I hope I'm wrong. If they have an open debate, and we're allowed to have amendments, and we have a balanced plan that includes production in all the sectors, then I believe we can meet this problem in a bipartisan way, and that's what we should be doing for America."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=70337
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 PM

Wait... you mean to tell me that Democrats realize that gas prices, in the long run, will never go down even close to where the were a year ago, so rather than spend taxpayer money trying to pass bills to artificially/temporarily lower the cost of fuel, they'd rather look beyond, to the future, and find an energy source that would not only be more cost effective, but harm our environment less?

What are they thinking?!?!?
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpamp
Wait... you mean to tell me that Democrats realize that gas prices, in the long run, will never go down even close to where the were a year ago, so rather than spend taxpayer money trying to pass bills to artificially/temporarily lower the cost of fuel, they'd rather look beyond, to the future, and find an energy source that would not only be more cost effective, but harm our environment less?

Short-term relief isn't going to prevent or suspend innovation of a renewable energy source. That's terrible logic for not increasing drilling or at least attempting to bring the prices down until we move on to a different energy source.

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

LMFAO! Worst response, ever. I'm surprised to see you had time to respond to this thread, with the bitch slapping you are taking in the other thread. Figured you had enough to keep your head in a dictionary for a few days, at least!

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365706
post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor
Short-term relief isn't going to prevent or suspend innovation of a renewable energy source. That's terrible logic for not increasing drilling or at least attempting to bring the prices down until we move on to a different energy source.

It's not like crude oil fell a decent amount when Bush lifted the Executive Ban or anything. I'm sure glad Congress knows what to ignore better than we do.
post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
It's not like crude oil fell a decent amount when Bush lifted the Executive Ban or anything. I'm sure glad Congress knows what to ignore better than we do.
Right!!

post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
I'm sure glad Congress knows what to ignore better than we do.
Too bad they didn't ignore the "speculator, hedge fund" hype that's been getting so much media play lately. Hell, I think it was a 94-0 vote today.
post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
LMFAO! Worst response, ever. I'm surprised to see you had time to respond to this thread, with the bitch slapping you are taking in the other thread. Figured you had enough to keep your head in a dictionary for a few days, at least!

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365706
Haha. You totally discredited my post! You're a genius!
post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 AM
IA2

Lets move past the drill/no drill argument for a minute and look at what the legislators are doing. Remember that their job is to REPRESENT the people, who clearly want relief at the pump/meter. Instead we have elected eco-nazis following their own strict personal agendas/beliefs ("move past petroleum"); after all, they know what is best for us

I guess that it has never occurred to them that it doesn't have to be an all or nothing kind of deal. We can work on both the supply side as well as the conservation side while continuing to look for alternative fuel sources. Instead the eco-nazis are rubbing their hands in glee at the opportunity to force their brand of radicalism by way of hard times to the US citizen and business owner. The cost of this approach is unsustainable.

I look for a lot of democrats to get a boot in the ass come the next election.
post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyro
Asked point-blank if Democrats in the Senate would consider how increasing the supply of oil would lower the prices that are pinching U.S. consumers, Cantwell replied: "Oh, we definitely want to move beyond petroleum.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=70337
Well hell...let's just go ahead and move beyond cancer while we're at it.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #11 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:

You're fucking insane. You can't even see past your own party lines to see how wrong your representatives are.

post #12 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:33 AM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01gt

What a fantastic analogy! I say let's move beyond using the sun as a provider of illumination and heat!
post #13 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Time Served

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Lets move past the drill/no drill argument for a minute and look at what the legislators are doing. Remember that their job is to REPRESENT the people, who clearly want relief at the pump/meter. Instead we have elected eco-nazis following their own strict personal agendas/beliefs ("move past petroleum"); after all, they know what is best for us

I guess that it has never occurred to them that it doesn't have to be an all or nothing kind of deal. We can work on both the supply side as well as the conservation side while continuing to look for alternative fuel sources. Instead the eco-nazis are rubbing their hands in glee at the opportunity to force their brand of radicalism by way of hard times to the US citizen and business owner. The cost of this approach is unsustainable.

So true

2003 White GT
Current N/A Best
[email protected] (2-7-09)

BBk Headers and X-Pipe
Mac ProDumps
4.10 Gears, Eaton Diff and 31 spline axles
Diet (currently 2885 without me in it)
Everything else stock (paper filter even)

post #14 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Quite a reach there, Stretch. Cancer vs. oil?

It's not the fucking Dems job to "wean us" from petroleum products.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #15 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Old Fart

I think the powers against offshore drilling is bunch of bs.

I worked on Prudhoe Bay oilfield in Alaska. The oilfield was clean as can be, generated tons of jobs, and never hurt the environment.

The offshore drill sites can be made to be clean and safe as well, when regulated competently.

The filling and unfilling of the crude reserves give us a small bargaining chip. Not sure if it is much to bargain with.

America needs to get off the oil tit.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #16 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Many voters will still blame the President for high gas prices, oblivious to the fact that it is Congess that has control of setting our policies.
post #17 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
Many voters will still blame the President for high gas prices, oblivious to the fact that it is Congess that has control of setting our policies.
At least I'm encouraged by their 9% approval rating...

post #18 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Lifer

Quote:

I dont think I've ever seen anyone as ignorant as you.
post #19 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Dan
I dont think I've ever seen anyone as ignorant as you.
That TOTALLY discounts my point! Again! You're so smart!!

post #20 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:

What point? You ask a loaded rhetorical question that blows.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #21 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
What point? You ask a loaded rhetorical question that blows.
No, my "loaded" question was making a great point. I was pointing out that just because someone isn't looking for the same way out of a problem as you, doesn't mean they're not working toward a better solution.
post #22 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:52 AM
350z

Quote:
No, my "loaded" question was making a great point. I was pointing out that just because someone isn't looking for the same way out of a problem as you, doesn't mean they're not working toward a better solution.
I think the point is they are not doing what they were voted in to do, represent the American people.

or somthing

tacos?
post #23 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

As others have said a million fucking times, I don't give a shit what they are looking at. Constituents want relief NOW. The fucktards that make up the Dem controlled Congress, are ignoring what the very people that voted them in to office want, need, and are demanding. They can take their alternative energy and shove it up their fucking asses. I want relief NOW, not 20 years down the road.

But honestly, I'm ok with it. I guaran fucking tee you Congress won't be Dem controlled the next go round. In fact, I'd say less than 25% remain in Congress after the next round of voting. It's time for change alright. But Obama, and you bleeding liberals aren't the answer, period.
post #24 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:59 AM
$uper $low

Quote:
It's extremely easy for someone with their kind of money to afford to hold out until whatever great new means of energy rolls around.
Meanwhile, we cut pennies in half just to make ends meet.

They aren't doing their fucking job, and are ignoring the people.

If you don't feed your pet for a month because you know there will be some great new food out next month, and you don't want to waste money this month. . . . what good does it do to buy the new food when your pet is dead?

Yes, i said "pet", because that is more than likely the mindset those liberal nut fuck tools use.

post #25 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 AM
AHMO!

Quote:

Mike...you should start a company that teaches people to be logical and intelligent...

If you can figure out how to do this you would make millions.
post #26 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Time Served

Drilling isn't going to provide relief NOW. We won't see the impact of a lift on ANWR or offshore drilling for years.

The relief NOW is dealing with the speculators driving these prices.

If you want relief in a couple of years, sure lift the bans on ANWR and offshore. If you want relief in a couple of years, lift the nazi rules and regs on refineries.
If you want relief in a couple of years, lift the nazi rules on nuclear plants.

Curbing the speculation is the only relief you will see now, but the politicians don't want to upset the money makers on wall street. That's a problem on both sides of the aisle.

2009 Night train
post #27 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Worship me

Quote:

You sound like an expert in the oil & gas industry....
post #28 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
Drilling isn't going to provide relief NOW. We won't see the impact of a lift on ANWR or offshore drilling for years.

If you want relief in a couple of years, sure lift the bans on ANWR and offshore. If you want relief in a couple of years, lift the nazi rules and regs on refineries.

Curbing the speculation is the only relief you will see now, but the politicians don't want to upset the money makers on wall street. That's a problem on both sides of the aisle.
I disagree. It is all about perception. If Congress opened up drilling today prices would drop. Reasoning being that in the long term oil is worth less, the people who want to hold it as an asset (like gold) would view any potential new supply negatively. How much it would drop is anyone's guess.
post #29 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Lifer

Quote:

The fact that oil has fallen $15 a barrel since Bush lifted tha "ban" on his side, should say something. I think if the senate decided to lift the ban today, oil would fall $10 a barrel tomorrow. Remember, "speculation" would come into play, knowing that "new" oil was coming onto the market.

post #30 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Worship me

Quote:

An excellent point.

If you want to see how leftist regimes gain power simply read this post then read the second post in this thread, made by Gpamp.
post #31 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Lifer

even if they drill and find oil, they still have to get permission to pump it.
even if they could pump it, China would end up getting it anyway, they are willing to pay more for it on the open market.
because Chinas ever increasing demand grows faster then the rate of production, the price will still increase.
post #32 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Drilling isn't going to provide relief NOW.

Wrong. Bush lifting the ban IMMEDIATELY dropped crude oil prices. Have you been paying attention?

Quote:
We won't see the impact of a lift on ANWR or offshore drilling for years.

Wrong again, see above. It may not be as cheap as we'd like it to be, but it WILL be cheaper. You absolutely can not argue that. Granted, it will be cheaper in coming years if the US was drilling and producing more, but Bush's move is proof positive there WILL be immediate relief. I know what you're saying, and I agree to a point. But you're ignoring what happened in the market last week.

Quote:
That's one way to help, and I'm sounding like a broken record here, but so is lifting the ban.

Quote:
You mean the ones the Dems put in place? Yeah, good luck with getting those overturned, considering it's a Dem controlled Congress at the moment.
post #33 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
Quite a reach there, Stretch. Cancer vs. oil?

It's not the fucking Dems job to "wean us" from petroleum products.
Ya think?
Sarcasm = a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!
post #34 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996
even if they drill and find oil, they still have to get permission to pump it.
even if they could pump it, China would end up getting it anyway, they are willing to pay more for it on the open market.
because Chinas ever increasing demand grows faster then the rate of production, the price will still increase.
Wow. Just...wow.

post #35 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Ya think?
Sarcasm = a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual

Honestly Randy, that's what I took from black01gt's post. I read it as being sarcastic, not a stretch at all.
post #36 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Honestly Randy, that's what I took from black01gt's post. I read it as being sarcastic, not a stretch at all.
Cool. It was early...

post #37 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:

go back to school and learn about supply and demand.. idot! Looking to the future is great if you have a plan. But your congress that you swing off the nuts from, are looking to the future with no plan to stop the current crisis... meanwhile the economy goes to hell and a handbasket.. Man, we have some genius elected officials

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...

Last edited by The Punisher; 07-23-2008 at 12:20 PM.
post #38 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Haha. You totally discredited my post! You're a genius!
I think you discredit your own post! Everyone knows its the koolaid talking...

Stand by or fight while Obama wages his war against capitalism...
post #39 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Wrong. Bush lifting the ban IMMEDIATELY dropped crude oil prices. Have you been paying attention?

Wrong again, see above. It may not be as cheap as we'd like it to be, but it WILL be cheaper. You absolutely can not argue that. Granted, it will be cheaper in coming years if the US was drilling and producing more, but Bush's move is proof positive there WILL be immediate relief. I know what you're saying, and I agree to a point. But you're ignoring what happened in the market last week.

That's one way to help, and I'm sounding like a broken record here, but so is lifting the ban.
The prices dropped because the speculators speculated a possibly increase in supply. If speculation was taken out of the conversation, then it would rely on true supply/demand. ANWR and offshore drilling would not offer any new supply for years.

Hence take care of the speculation and let's get it truly based on supply/demand. You are pretty much guaranteed a price drop because supplies are at a good level.

2009 Night train
post #40 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Lifer

Quote:
The prices dropped because the speculators speculated a possibly increase in supply. If speculation was taken out of the conversation, then it would rely on true supply/demand. ANWR and offshore drilling would not offer any new supply for years.

Hence take care of the speculation and let's get it truly based on supply/demand. You are pretty much guaranteed a price drop because supplies are at a good level.
There is no proof of the assumption that ANWAR and off-shore drilling would take "years". To the contrary, depending on where they are drilling, 10-12 months is possible in some area's.

post #41 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

High oil prices benefit both the Democrats and the Republicans.

Democrats get to push Al Gore's agenda and the Republican backers make a shit load of money.

If oil prices drop, Al Gore go to the wayside and the Republican backers don't make as much money.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #42 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Lifer

Quote:

I wasn’t trying to discount your point. You post up stupid shit trying to show how smart you are but when one of these guys shoots your theory down, you ignore them or focus on some small detail that is totally unrelated to the topic...

Let’s see if I can get this right...

Your point was, the Dems want to encourage alternative energy.

I agree with you, that it is a great thing. The problem is, MOST Americans, want (and need) relief from energy prices, NOW, not 5 years from now.

Regardless of party, each one of those dumbasses in Washington is elected to represent the people. They aren’t doing that by burying their head in the sand and refusing to try and provide some relief.

There are people a lot smarter than me about this issue but it would seem to me, they should be discussing the effects of the speculators. The effects of drilling off shore, the effects of opening up the national reserves, the effects of opening up new refineries, even the effects of repealing the stupid gas tax.

In my opinion, everything should be put on the table and EVERYTHING should be done to lower current energy prices. At the same time, they need to encourage alternative energy for the future. They could easily do that by offering tax breaks or subsidies or something...

I’m not the smartest mf’er on the planet but common sense tells me, you can’t lower energy prices by ignoring them…
post #43 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:03 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
There is no proof of the assumption that ANWAR and off-shore drilling would take "years". To the contrary, depending on where they are drilling, 10-12 months is possible in some area's.
It wouldn't take years.

There would be more "boots on the ground" than Iraq and Afghaniland combined the day after it is opened up.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #44 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
High oil prices benefit both the Democrats and the Republicans.

Democrats get to push Al Gore's agenda and the Republican backers make a shit load of money.

If oil prices drop, Al Gore go to the wayside and the Republican backers don't make as much money.
This is why it'll NEVER go down. Period. Go ahead and make a new source of energy. Once they find a way to capitalize on that, we're gonna get it in the keister again.
post #45 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Lifer

Quote:
It wouldn't take years.

There would be more "boots on the ground" than Iraq and Afghaniland combined the day after it is opened up.
Of course you're right. It would almost be a race to see who could get the most the soonest. You would see "cutting edge"drilling technology again. All the natural gas around here (Ellis/Johnson County) has forced companies to get to that gas quicker and more effectively, due to competition. The oil would be no different. I liken it to the California "gold rush", for lack of a better term.

post #46 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Wait... you mean to tell me that Democrats realize that gas prices, in the long run, will never go down even close to where the were a year ago,
A year ago? They are headed that way now. What makes you think they won't cointinue even past that without artificial market manipulation like rationing and price caps?
post #47 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
I disagree. It is all about perception. If Congress opened up drilling today prices would drop. Reasoning being that in the long term oil is worth less, the people who want to hold it as an asset (like gold) would view any potential new supply negatively. How much it would drop is anyone's guess.
absolutely, and perception drives the very speculation in question.

I wonder if Bush's EO had as much to do with drops as other factors though. I think part of the timing was based on Chinese energy policy.
post #48 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
It wouldn't take years.

For offshore east coast, I'm betting two years or more, for various reasons, especially considering the court barrages that are blocking even wind farms. I bet the initial exploration kicks off in a flash, but I don't know about extraction. You are talking about something that will be as NIMBY prone as a nuclear plant.

For ANWR, I bet a year though. Which itself could slow offshore down too.
post #49 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:

So if we're moving beyond oil products, what's wrong with using more oil products until we develop something renewable that works?
post #50 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Lifer

the price drop last week was because of Mexico hedging the price of oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement