Humans are crazy... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Humans are crazy...

Every now and then I come across a question that stumps everyone.

This popped up as I quit a part time pizza delivery job.

As a new and insulting pay method was enacted, I did the math and told them I
would not work for that sort of pay.

Subject about "giving notice" or finishing the week was addressed because I was NOT giving any advanced notice so that they could have time to fill the gap left by me leaving.

I calmly asked "How much notice do you give when YOU decide that the employee/employer relationship is over?"

Stunned looks and mutterings of "customary, fair or right thing to do" fell out of their mouth.

Questoin: Lacking a severence deal, why do employers get away with expecting (and often getting)"notice" from leaving employees?

Bruce

P.S. I have a lot of these silly questions, but I won't spring them all at once.
Also found that folks here are NOT politically correct and like it that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Factory Issue

They just think they can lord it over you that way. f you can't stay, you can't stay. It's not that hard to fill a non-skilled spot, anyway.

Give me a dollar.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Musician for the deaf

The usual drawback is that they mark you as "not eligible for rehire".

That means you can't use it as much of a reference, or it isn't going to look good.

Some will do it anyway. That is why a certified resignation outlining the company policy pertaining to rehire status, and noting the methods you are using to inform them (quote employee handbook extensively) will usually help.

For a pizza joint, just find a new job now, then leave.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:31 PM
mannish boy

two weeks notice is the rule... if you don't give 2wks, you're not elligible for rehire
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Time Served

For most jobs, notice periods are built into the terms and conditions of employment contract you sign for both the employer and the employee. They write them in so you are not only contractually obligated but that's how long they expect you to give so you won't have to give longer. So if you have a 2 week notice period in your employment contract and they want you to work an extra month, then they are contractually obligated to let you leave after 2 weeks. It's a tool to help alleviate scheduling or hiring burdens on management. The only problem is that if you put in your notice and they've got their shit under control (like Walmart for example), they'll terminate you almost immediately. Basically if you put in your notice you're ready to leave, so you either give two weeks or leave immediately . . . get what you wanted both ways. They don't have to give termination notice unless it's included in your contract or you amended it to include it.

my regards
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Out

I have always left employment under good conditions, so this has never come up.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:16 AM
mannish boy

I haven't always left under good terms, but it hasn't ever hurt me...

one contract I was under required 90 days notice, and I gave it, and it worked out fine.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Still...

Just wondering and commenting on how this issue is stacked in the favor of the employer.
Even some severence packages kick in after 2 years or so.

Just odd that the majority of jobs if the employee terminates without notice its a bad mark, but if the employer terminates without notice its normal.

Bruce

Next week we discuss utilities..so hold on to a few bill statements.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnorant
Just wondering and commenting on how this issue is stacked in the favor of the employer.
Even some severence packages kick in after 2 years or so.

Just odd that the majority of jobs if the employee terminates without notice its a bad mark, but if the employer terminates without notice its normal.

Bruce

Next week we discuss utilities..so hold on to a few bill statements.
Usually, the employer has reason to terminate the employee without notice also.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Usually, the employer has reason to terminate the employee without notice also.
Usually, the employee has reason to terminate the employer without notice also.

Looks equally valid to me!

Bruce
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Out

Quote:

Bruce
OK. Then quit and defend your actions, rather than get fired/laid-off and have them defend theirs.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:19 AM
mannish boy

dude, it's a pizza place... fuck them...

but in the real world, you can't just walk out on a job and expect everything to be kosher. if you were worth a fuck, they're going to be hurting to replace you. if you want them on your resume and/or as a reference, you need to leave on good terms.

a potential employer wants to know that when/if you should decide to part ways with them that you won't leave THEM in a bind!!!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:33 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
dude, it's a pizza place... fuck them...

but in the real world, you can't just walk out on a job and expect everything to be kosher. if you were worth a fuck, they're going to be hurting to replace you. if you want them on your resume and/or as a reference, you need to leave on good terms.

a potential employer wants to know that when/if you should decide to part ways with them that you won't leave THEM in a bind!!!
It's a pizza place

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Just a thought..

I'm not worried about my reputation in this episode.

I just was looking to see how attitudes range on this subject.

Despite my odd twist on this I discovered that my own attitudes were pretty close to the normal reactions of most.
If I may ask..what are some of the perfectly valid reasons that an employee is justified in quitting with no notice?

At other sites, one of the main reasons seems to be changes in pay structure.
Some of these stories are just rude!!

Bruce

Last edited by egnorant; 07-20-2008 at 01:04 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Packin' up...

With any job, just put in your two weeks, don't walk out.

You will run into your old managers and it will be awkward. It's a small world and you never know who will be where, or who is whose friends, when it's time to look for a new job.

It would come back to haunt you.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:

Bruce
Companies don't give a fuck what you think; when it's your word against theirs, I'm going to assume that the interviewer is going to have a tendency to respond more to the company's recommendation than your side of the story. That is, unless you have a fantastic interview that makes your interviewer's dick tingle.

I'm in the last week of my job, but my superiors have known for two months now my date of departure. Thus, I've worked it out that I can stay on as a seasonal employee working holidays and summers, get to keep my employee discount while I'm not working for them, and will walk out having a great reccomendation from a Fortune 100 company.

The usefulness of said reccomendation probably will be a moot point when I'm out of school, but for any job I apply for over the next 4 years I'd rather have that reccomendation than to not have it. No reason to unecessarily burn bridges just because you think you're "right." Your thoughts are absolutely worthless when in context of a couple billion dollar a year company's guidlines.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
If I may ask..what are some of the perfectly valid reasons that an employee is justified in quitting with no notice?
There is no need for justification. You either work for someone or you don't. Employers are bound by far more than employees are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement