Terrorists now have US Constitutional Rights!!! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

Terrorists now have US Constitutional Rights!!!

Flipped open my AL newsletter for Post 321 last night and had to put it down until this morning after reading this. What the fuck happened to common sense?

The information is available via the usual news sources, but I like some of the comments made in this article.

http://www.legion.org/whatsnew/publi...r/story?id=616

Quote:
The nation's leading veterans organization reacted immediately to Thursday's Supreme Court ruling that foreign terrorists have U.S. constitutional rights. The ruling came as the result of a challenge by detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, who want hearings in U.S. civilian courts. "To suggest that foreign terrorists, who have never set foot in this country and respect no civilized laws, should enjoy the same rights under our Constitution as U.S. citizens," American Legion National Commander Marty Conatser said of today's 5-4 ruling, "must make America's founding fathers turn over in their graves." Conatser pointed out that The American Legion has sent delegations to monitor activities, including detainee hearings, at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. "Two American Legion past national commanders have visited Camp Delta. They found that the detainees were humanely treated, well-fed and provided with medical care that surpasses what many veterans receive. We currently have a distinguished Legionnaire viewing hearings down at Guantanamo. As the deputy commanding general of Guantanamo told our Washington Legislative Conference, if the situation were reversed, these terrorists would define mercy as a knife blade on the back of the neck instead of the front." Chief Justice John Roberts dissented in the decision. He wrote that the United States enacted "the most generous set of procedural protections ever afforded aliens detained by this country as enemy combatants." Justice Antonin Scalia joined the dissent, writing that the majority's decision "will make the war harder on us. It will almost certainly cause more Americans to be killed." "The Supreme Court has made its ruling," Conatser said. "It seems that terrorists taken on foreign battlefields will now be entitled to lawyers at taxpayers' expense and all the other rights that American citizens enjoy. It would have been wonderful if the terrorists had treated Matt Maupin, the U.S. soldier captured and brutally murdered in Iraq, with the same respect. In fact, one of the men on trial, Kahlid Sheikh Mohammed is not only the alleged mastermind of 9/11 but is widely believed to have personally beheaded journalist Daniel Pearl." Conatser said that The American Legion will look at various ways to protect America within the confines of the latest Supreme Court decision.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Lifer

they either have rights in military courts or civilian courts. its got to be one or the other because there is no other category. personally I would rather these people be under civilian law jurisdiction, because it then allows "we the people" to tri and punish these people. military courts are often under the jurisdiction of international treaties that place restrictions on punishment and trial processes.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I foresee many releases from Gitmo in the coming months.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Lifer

many already have been released, half of them go on 60 min and write books about how they were wrongly detained, the other half end up fighting in Iraq. the problem is we dont have any information on these people, many of them were sold to the US by other militant groups after 9/11, so there is very little evidence if any in some circumstances.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Out

I don't see many getting a conviction from this. They were taken under extinuating circumstances. No police investigation, follow-up reports, photos from the "crime scene," etc. Looks like we'll be seeing them again real soon.

Here's to fighting a conventional war against an unconventional enemy! I love how the US takes on the impossible while trying to appease the masses. I can just see the troops throwing their hands in the air, yelling, "I'm out!" I just want to call the shots for just ONE DAY... that's about all that's needed to make more of a difference than all the butt fucking that's been going on in Congress since September 12th, 2001.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Lifer

all this evidence gathering is something that sould have been done in the first place, otherwise use a different system.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Musician for the deaf

Rights are protections against the government in one sense. All humans have those rights according to both the constitution and US law.

Which is a damn good thing. Those terrorsist have the right to a fair and speedy trial, and that gives us a valid moral reason for kicking some ass and laying waste to whole cities if someone is inhibiting this effort by harboring them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball996
all this evidence gathering is something that sould have been done in the first place, otherwise use a different system.
I agree, I like the system where you level their entire town with artillery as a punitive response to their attacks.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
I agree, I like the system where you level their entire town with artillery as a punitive response to their attacks.
Save tax dollars, use a few bombs for one day, than harvest terrorists for years? Sounds like a superb system to me

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128