Yet another idiot quote from Obama.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Yet another idiot quote from Obama....

Barack Obama’s book “Dreams from My Father” is a (tiresomely) long meditation on race and hatred. It shows Obama to be a twisted, bitter little man: obsessed with race and his self creation into an angry black man.

If you’re an Obama supporter and you haven’t read the book then you’re ignorant fool. If you’re an Obama supporter and you have read the book you’re a racist, a Marxist or an idiot – or some combination thereof.

Since Obama would go on to become a member of a Black Nationalist church for over 20 years his comments about black nationalism/black racism are especially interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama
In talking to self-professed nationalists like Rafiq, though, I came to see how the blanket indictment of everything white served a central function in their message of uplift; how, psychologically, at least, one depended on the other. For when the nationalist spoke of a reawakening of values as the only solution to black poverty, he was expressing an implicit, if not explicit, criticism to black listeners: that we did not have to live as we did. And while there were those who could take such an unadorned message and use it to hew out a new life for themselves – those with the stolid dispositions that Booker T. Washington had once demanded from his followers – in the ears of many blacks such talk smacked of the explanations that whites had always offered for black poverty: that we continued to suffer from, if not genetic inferiority then cultural weakness. It was a message that ignored causality or fault, a message outside of history, without a script or plot that might insist on progression. For a people already stripped of their history, a people often ill equipped to retrieve that history in any form other that what fluttered across the television screen, the testimony of what we saw every day seemed only to confirm our worst suspicions about ourselves.

Nationalism provided that history, an unambiguous morality tale that was easily communicated and easily grasped. A steady attack on the white race, the constant recitation of black people’s brutal experience in this country, served as the ballast that could prevent the ideas of personal and communal responsibility from tipping into an ocean of despair. Yes, the nationalist would say, whites are responsible for your sorry state, not any inherent flaws in you. In fact, whites are so heartless and devious that we can no longer expect anything from them. The self loathing you feel, what keeps you drinking or thieving is planted by them. Rid them from your mind and find your true power liberated. Rise up, ye mighty race!

This process of displacement, this means of engaging in self criticism while removing ourselves from the object of criticism, helped explain the much admired success of the Nation of Islam in turning around the lives of drug addicts and criminals. But if it was especially well suited to those at the bottom rungs of American life, it also spoke to all the continuing doubts of the lawyer who had run hard for the gold ring yet still experienced awkward silence when walking into the clubhouse; those young college students who warily measured the distance between them and life on Chicago’s mean streets, with the danger that distance implied; all the black people who, it turned out, shared with me a voice that whispered inside them – “You don’t really belong here.”

In a sense, then Rafiq was right when he insisted that, deep down, all blacks were potential nationalists. The anger was there, bottled up and often turned inward. And as I thought about Ruby and her blue eyes, the teenagers calling each other “nigger” and worse, I wondered whether, for now at least, Rafiq wasn’t also right in preferring that that anger be redirected; whether a black politics that suppressed rage toward whites generally, or one that failed to elevate race loyalty above all else, was a politics inadequate to the task.

It was a painful thought to consider, as painful now as it had been years ago. It contradicted the morality my mother had taught me, a morality of subtle distinctions – between individuals of goodwill and those that wished me ill, between active malice and ignorance or indifference. I had a personal stake in that moral framework; I’d discovered that I couldn’t escape if I tried. And yet perhaps it was a framework that blacks in this country could no longer afford; perhaps it weakened black resolve, encouraged confusion within the ranks. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and for many blacks, times were chronically desperate. If nationalism could create a strong and effective insularity, deliver on its promise of self-respect, then the hurt it might cause well-meaning whites, or the inner turmoil it caused people like me, would be of little consequence.
Black racism... it's a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownragtop
Barack Obama’s book “Dreams from My Father” is a (tiresomely) long meditation on race and hatred. It shows Obama to be a twisted, bitter little man: obsessed with race and his self creation into an angry black man.

If you’re an Obama supporter and you haven’t read the book then you’re ignorant fool. If you’re an Obama supporter and you have read the book you’re a racist, a Marxist or an idiot – or some combination thereof.

Since Obama would go on to become a member of a Black Nationalist church for over 20 years his comments about black nationalism/black racism are especially interesting.

Black racism... it's a good thing.
why do people think he is black? dark skin doesnt make you black. all the blackpeople are voting for him because they think he is plack. the mofo is muslim. there is a difference. bush ate tacos in mexico to get votes his second time around. he's not mexican. its what they do to get votes. obama danced to an r&b song. that doesnt make him black..lol
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITESTANG
why do people think he is black? dark skin doesnt make you black. all the blackpeople are voting for him because they think he is plack. the mofo is muslim. there is a difference. bush ate tacos in mexico to get votes his second time around. he's not mexican. its what they do to get votes. obama danced to an r&b song. that doesnt make him black..lol
He is black because his father was a black African. Obama is NOT a Muslim!! And by the way, Muslims can be black as well.

Sigh! See Denny, this is what I was talking about.

Last edited by 99MustangGT; 07-10-2008 at 07:08 PM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99MustangGT

hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I'd fuck her and confess my love while using my wife as the mattress.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Time Served

Quote:

If a member of the KKK will call you a "Nigger" then you are black enough to be called black.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo855
If a member of the KKK will call you a "Nigger" then you are black enough to be called black.
The KKK think people who listen to eminem are "niggers". Yeah, lets leave it up to a bunch of uneducated rednecks who can't even spell ethnicity to tell us what it is.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
The KKK think people who listen to eminem are "niggers". Yeah, lets leave it up to a bunch of uneducated rednecks who can't even spell ethnicity to tell us what it is.
Why not, would make a good reality tv show

71 Camaro 355sbc 6.472 @ 104mph/10.311 @ 128
Powered by: Tripp Motorsports E85 carburetor

NHRA Super Street-4040
IHRA Hot Rod-404
NHRA ET-404M
IHRA SSS-4X4M

How am I supposed to get my own T-Shirt with all those different numbers?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Horsepower Extractor

Quote:
Don't tell us what the KKK think unless you've got membership status. Eminem is nothing but trash like Obama.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Deuce
Don't tell us what the KKK think unless you've got membership status. Eminem is nothing but trash like Obama.
US being ur KKK or US in dfwstangs? just curious?

EDIT I read it again and I think you mean US as in dfwstangers my bad.

Quote:
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Muslim is a religion.... not a race

NO NO NO, it should be DFWLS1's, CUMMINS, C6 VETTES.net
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gt-stanger
Muslim is a religion.... not a race
No. No.. that would just make too much sense!!
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99MustangGT
He is black because his father was a black African. Obama is NOT a Muslim!! And by the way, Muslims can be black as well.

LMAO!

Right. There's enough to hate the guy without making stuff up about him. The book is a pity cry about a "poor little 'ol black man, though."
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I don’t believe that Obama is religious, period. In the book, Obama comes off as an agnostic. He only joined Trinity United after being advised that if he was going to solicit aid from area churches he needed to have a church home. He stayed because he liked the ‘Kill Whitey’ rhetoric.

I don’t think he’s a Muslim. Any interest he might have in Islam is merely incidental to his family history and his Afrocentric tendencies. There are a lot of reasons to hate Obama… this isn’t one of them.

(I always thought it was funny that black people would reject Christianity – the religion of their former white slave masters- to adopt Islam – the religion of their former Arab slave masters.)
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownragtop
(I always thought it was funny that black people would reject Christianity – the religion of their former white slave masters- to adopt Islam – the religion of their former Arab slave masters.)

Arab masters what u talking about

Quote:
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 PM

I just read this:

"Who hasn't screwed a goat? Where I come from, it's the same thing as tossin' horse shoes. We'd screw goats, and if they squealed, we'd gut them with our knives. In honor of the Dark Lord, of course." -John McCain 1996

And now it's on the internet, so it MUST be true!! Again!!!
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:06 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpamp
I just read this:

"Who hasn't screwed a goat? Where I come from, it's the same thing as tossin' horse shoes. We'd screw goats, and if they squealed, we'd gut them with our knives. In honor of the Dark Lord, of course." -John McCain 1996

You do realize that the original quote has been widely distributed in print media, right?
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Out

Quote:
I just read this:

gcrampinmyside, you do realize that it's a quote from Obama's book, right? Silly dolt.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:30 AM

Definitely.

I'm just pointing out how silly it is that every day someone comes in here and posts a new thread with either something Obama said that he really didn't say, or they regurgitate the same crap from one of his books, out of context. I mean... I read that passage twice, and didn't see where "black racism... it's a good thing" summed it up, at ALL. And in high school and college, I may have really sucked at the math portion of any test, I always did great on the reading comprehension parts.

The regurgitations are one of the reasons I don't like coming into the political forum anymore. Same crap, over and over and over.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Definitely.

I'm just pointing out how silly it is that every day someone comes in here and posts a new thread with either something Obama said that he really didn't say, or they regurgitate the same crap from one of his books, out of context. I mean... I read that passage twice, and didn't see where "black racism... it's a good thing" summed it up, at ALL. And in high school and college, I may have really sucked at the math portion of any test, I always did great on the reading comprehension parts.

The regurgitations are one of the reasons I don't like coming into the political forum anymore. Same crap, over and over and over.
My God you stupid dipshit if you dont believe this is how old Barry thinks you are pretty fucking dumb. The man wrote it down and published in a book and you stupid fuckers still want to give him a pass. You really need to lay off the dope man and get your mouth off of his balls and your head out of your ass.

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Bullet sort of looses his grip when he factually gets his ass tore off.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Horsepower Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercobra03
US being ur KKK or US in dfwstangs? just curious?

EDIT I read it again and I think you mean US as in dfwstangers my bad.
Either way.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Shut up you hillbilly retard. Stop watching Jeff Foxworthy and go bang your sister or something.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

Quote:
Speaking of same crap over and over and over: each and every time a "regurgitation" is posted regarding obama, you alone can be counted on to argue the point with blind obedience.

DFWMustangs.net
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Horsepower Extractor

Quote:
Shut up you hillbilly retard. Stop watching Jeff Foxworthy and go bang your sister or something.
Do you know me?
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 AM
T-MINUS

This guy is going to fuck it up for blacks in the future for elections.

I think D.L. Hughley even said 'He's the wrong black guy at this time' even though he plans to vote for him.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Your reading comprehension sucks; as I’ve demonstrated in this thread and this thread. You see what you want to see – facts be damned.

Let me show you how to discriminate the pertinent information from the quoted passage. Take the following sentence and begin parsing out the irrelevant parts.
Quote:
And as I thought about Ruby and her blue eyes, the teenagers calling each other “nigger” and worse, I wondered whether, for now at least, Rafiq wasn’t also right in preferring that that anger be redirected; whether a black politics that suppressed rage toward whites generally, or one that failed to elevate race loyalty above all else, was a politics inadequate to the task.
First let’s remove Ruby and her blue contacts and kids calling each other nigger.
Quote:
I wondered whether, for now at least, Rafiq wasn’t also right in preferring that that anger be redirected; whether a black politics that suppressed rage toward whites generally, or one that failed to elevate race loyalty above all else, was a politics inadequate to the task.
Now let’s take out the mention of Rafiq and his redirected anger…

And we’re left with this.
Quote:
(I wondered) whether a black politics that suppressed rage toward whites generally, or one that failed to elevate race loyalty above all else, was a politics inadequate to the task.
FOCUS on that. He thinks that the unifying solidarity provided by black bigotry/black racism is the only way out for blacks.

Now take the following sentence and utilize the same methodology of distillation and you’re left with what I’ve bolded.
Quote:
If nationalism could create a strong and effective insularity, deliver on its promise of self-respect, then the hurt it might cause well-meaning whites, or the inner turmoil it caused people like me, would be of little consequence.
FOCUS on that. Black bigotry/black racism is insignificant – so long as it helps advance the black race.

See. Black racism is good because it helps promote solidarity amongst the black collective. And racial solidarity is the key to black advancement. Rise up, ye mighty race!

Now, of course, you don’t 'get it' because YOU HAVEN”T READ THE BOOK. You’ve bought into the DNC CREATED IMAGE of BARACK the UNIFER- BARACK the RACIAL HEALER. Which is utter BULLSHIT. (The DNC was so excited to find a well spoken, educated, ultra liberal black man they just couldn’t contain their enthusiasm long enough to check his resume. Oops.)

But as always, I’m here to help.

I intended from the start to include in this thread all the pearls of wisdom that Obama espouses in ‘Dreams’. You can use this thread as Cliff Notes – since you couldn’t possibly be troubled to actually read this shit. (I’ll even include page numbers for those that want to follow along at home.)

We’ll start with mom dumping Barack with the grandparents so that she can return to Indonesia.
Quote:
… I’d arrived at an unspoken pact with my grandparents: I could live with them and they’d leave me alone so long as I kept my trouble out of sight. The arrangement suited my purpose, a purpose that I could barely articulate to myself, much less to them. Away from my mother, away from my grandparents, I was engaged in a fitful struggle. I was trying to raise myself to be a black man in America, and beyond the given of my appearance, no one around me seemed to know exactly what that meant.
(p.75-76)
So young Barry turned to popular culture (Soul Train & Richard Pryor), his grandfather’s black friends (especially Frank – aka Frank Marshall Davis: poet and Communist Party member) and basketball. It was on the basketball court that Obama would make his closest friends.
Quote:
And it was there that I would meet Ray and the other blacks close to my age who had begun to trickle into the islands, teenagers whose confusion and anger would help shape my own.
(p.80)
Ray was two years older and from the mean streets of LA. That made him authentically black to Obama. Ray was the catalyst for Obama’s emerging hatred.
Quote:
…I had begun to see a new map of the world, one that was frightening in its simplicity, suffocating in its implications. We are always playing on the white man’s court, Ray had told me, by the white man’s rules. If the principal, or the coach, or a teacher, or Kurt, wanted to spit in your face, he could, because he had power and you didn’t. If he decided not to, if he treated you like a man or came to your defense, it was because he knew that the words you spoke, the clothes that you wore, the books you read, your ambitions and desires, were already his. Whatever he decided to do, it was his decision to make, not yours, and because of that fundamental power he held over you, because it preceded and would outlast his individual motives and implications, any distinctions between good and bad whites held negligible meaning. In fact, you couldn’t even be sure that everything that you had assumed to be an expression of your black, unfettered self – the humor, the song, the behind-the-back pass- had been freely chosen by you. At best, these things were a refuge; at worst, a trap. Following this maddening logic, the only thing you could choose as your own was a withdrawal into a smaller and smaller coil of rage, until being black meant only the knowledge of your own powerlessness, of your own defeat. And the final irony: Should you refuse this defeat and lash at your captors, they would have a name for that, too, a name that could cage you just as good. Paranoid. Militant. Violent. Nigger.
(p.85)
Obama would study the words of Baldwin, Ellison, Hughes, Wright and Dubois and try “to reconcile the world as I’d found it with the terms of my birth. But there was no escape to be had.”
Quote:
Only Malcolm X’s autobiography seemed to offer something different. His repeated acts of self creation spoke to me; the blunt poetry of his words, his unadorned insistence on respect, promised a new and uncompromising order, martial in its discipline, forged through sheer force of will. All the other stuff, the talk of blue-eyed devils and apocalypse, was incidental to that program, I decided, religious baggage that Malcolm himself seemed to have safely abandoned toward the end of his life. And yet, even as I imagined myself following Malcolm’s call, one line in the book stayed with me. He spoke of a wish he’d once had, the wish that the white blood that ran through him, there by an act of violence, might somehow be expunged. I knew for Malcolm, that wish would never be incidental. I knew as well that traveling down the road to self-respect my own white blood would never recede into mere abstraction. I was left to wonder what else I would be severing if and when I left my mother and grandparents at some uncharted border.
(p.86)
That’s all for right now – I don’t want to destroy your imaginary world all at once.

Lots more to come...

Last edited by blownragtop; 07-12-2008 at 06:47 PM.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Either way.

O well I have never known anyone in the KKK so atleast if I have questions I know where to go.

Quote:
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Part 2 - Fun with real quotes from Obamanation

So what’s a disaffected angry black man to do – living in Hawaii, attending a prestigious prep school and enjoying the comforts of a supportive family – GET HIGH.
“Help… help. I’m being oppressed.”
Quote:
Junkie. Pothead. That’s where I’d been headed: the final, fatal role of the young would-be black man. Except the highs hadn’t been about that, me trying to prove what a down brother I was. Not by then, anyway. I got high for the opposite effect, something that could push questions of who I was out of mind, something that could flatten out the landscape of my heart, blur the edges of my memory.
(p.93-94)
By then Barack had learned how to put up fronts to mask his deceit – a skill that’s serving him well today.
Quote:
…People were satisfied so long as you were courteous and smiled and made no sudden moves. They were more than satisfied; they were relieved – such a pleasant surprise to find a well-mannered young black man who didn’t seem angry all the time.
(p.94-95)
Before he left Hawaii for college Barack went to visit Frank the poet for the last time. Frank gave him some advice about what college was really about:
Quote:
“Leaving your race at the door,” he said. “Leaving your people behind.” He studied me over the top of his reading glasses. “Understand something, boy. You’re not going to college to get educated. You’re going there to get trained. They’ll train you to want what you don’t need. They’ll train you to manipulate words so they don’t mean anything anymore. They’ll train you to forget what it is that you already know. They’ll train you so good, you’ll start believing what they tell you about equal opportunity and the American way and all that shit. They’ll give you a corner office and invite you to fancy dinners, and tell you you’re a credit to your race. Until you want to actually start running things, and then they’ll yank on your chain and let you know that you may be a well-trained, well-paid nigger, but you’re a nigger just the same.”
(p.97)
Frank’s parting advice was to “Stay awake.” – blacks have to remain ever vigilant lest the white man sneak up on them.

Frank’s paranoia seems to have been contagious.
Quote:
I had stumbled upon one of the well-kept secrets about black people: that most of us weren’t interested in revolt; that most of us were tired of thinking about race all the time; that if we preferred to keep to ourselves it was mainly because that was the easiest way to stop thinking about it, easier than spending all your time mad or trying to guess whatever it was that white folks were thinking about you.

So why couldn’t I let it go?
(p. 98)
Why is Obama obsessed with race? He never really answers that question satisfactorily. But he doesn’t much care for people (of any color) who don’t share his sick fascination.

In college he met Joyce, a self described ‘multiracial’ student, who took exception to being termed ‘black’.
Quote:
…“It’s not white people who are making me choose. Maybe it used to be that way, but now they’re willing to treat me like a person. No – it’s black people who always have to make everything racial. They’re the ones making me choose. They’re the ones telling me that I can’t be who I am…”

They, they, they. That was the problem with people like Joyce. They talked about the richness of their multicultural heritage and it sounded real good, until you noticed that they avoided black people. It wasn’t a matter of conscious choice, necessarily, just a matter of gravitational pull, the way integration always worked, a one-way street. The minority assimilated into the dominant culture, not the other way around.
(p. 99-100)
Much later in the book – during his visit to Kenya – he is ‘insulted’ by the mere presence of white tourists.
Quote:
I felt them an encroachment, somehow; I found their innocence vaguely insulting. It occurred to me that in their utter lack of self consciousness, they were expressing a freedom that neither Auma nor I could ever experience, a bedrock confidence in their own parochialism, a confidence reserved for those born into imperial cultures.
(p. 312)
People that were unencumbered by questions of race – whether through certainty or lack of awareness - would always be a source of resentment for Obama. This identity confusion would serve as a motivator for Obama’s carefully cultivated ‘blackness’.
Quote:
… The truth was that I understood her (Joyce), her and all the other black kids who felt the same way she did. In their mannerisms, their speech, their mixed up hearts, I kept recognizing pieces of myself. And that’s exactly what scared me. Their confusion made me question my own racial credentials all over again, Ray’s trump card still lurking in the back of my mind. I needed to put distance between them and myself, to convince myself that I wasn’t compromised – that I was indeed still awake.

To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk rock performance poets. We smoked cigarettes and wore leather jackets. At night, in the dorms, we discussed neocolonialism, Franz Fanon, Eurocentrism, and patriarchy. When we ground out our cigarettes in the hallway carpet or set our stereos so loud that the walls began to shake, we were resisting bourgeois society’s stifling constraints. We weren’t indifferent or careless or insecure. We were alienated. (p. 100-101)
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Token Union Member

Blownragtop,

Your doing a damn fine job exposing Obama for the fraud he is. It's a shame the liberal of the board, aka Gpamp, has his rose colored glasses on and refuse's to comment, but thats no suprise.

TRAIN TRASH it's like WHITE TRASH but with money.

My other vehicle is a Locomotive.

Don't cupple up without protection.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Lifer

Good thread, but this is obvious to anyone who is paying attention. I've touched on this before. Obama is obsessed with race and well as issues with his own identity. He cries a lot for a man who is a Harvard Law Alumni, Attorney, and U.S. Senator. His net worth is over a million dollars. He has a wife and two kids and is the presumptive Democratic nominee.

It's difficult to listen to a discourse about rampant oppression by a guy who is standing on the top of the world in his professional life. A great deal of leading black activist fail to grasp that concept. Find a better candidate for your rhetoric. A black guy living underneath the 635 overpass would offer a more convincing delivery of the now very trite I'm an oppressed black man chestnut.

He is a fraud in my opinion. I am judging him by his voting record, not just his incredible talent at fabrication and pandering such as in his '07 Selma speech. His voting record indicates that he is exceedingly liberal. And voting 'not present' on a lot of key issues tells you a lot about his character or lack thereof. He is not a man of principle in the way I define it. I think he has the Halle Berry syndrome, but to a much larger degree. He is a demagogue. And he sees himself as a harbinger of grand and sweeping change in America. His "Change" means to renounce individualism and promulgate programs that redistribute the wealth and put us all on a equal playing field. Welcome to Socialism 101.

There is no such thing as an ideal candidate. Even a very admirable man like John McCain has his share of political faux pas. I don't agree with everything he has to say, but he is much closer to the center. In the center lies common sense, fairness, true justice, and pragmatism. And maybe even a Patriotic respect for this country and it's roots.

I quit wasting my breath on this Obama subject a while back. Aside from his dubious voting record, he simply doesn't have the tenure. A junior Senator with a less than stellar voting record should not be President. It doesn't make sense. JFK (his hero) had almost 15 years in the political arena before becoming President. Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 07-16-2008 at 02:18 AM.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Lifer

We need an angry, young, black man as president to purge this country of the sins it committed more than 150 years ago by angry old WASP men who have long been dead but whose offspring continue to reap the rewards of those who had been enslaved. It's payback time people. Oppress the white man and teach him a lesson of what it is like to be face down in the cotton field.

What is that man saying anyway? Anyone? Has O'Blama really said anything in the past year?
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
He is a demagogue. And he sees himself as a harbinger of grand and sweeping change in America. His "Change" means to renounce individualism and promulgate programs that redistribute the wealth and put us all on a equal playing field. Welcome to Socialism 101.
Very perceptive and succinctly put.

The overarching theme of ‘Dreams’ is the corrupting influence of ‘white’ (Eurocentric) society on the world. The paradox for Obama is how to tap into and exploit the riches of the west, for the benefit of black people, without becoming enmeshed in the white capitalist system.
Quote:

For the first time in my life, I found myself thinking deeply about money: my own lack of it, the pursuit of it, the crude but undeniable peace it could buy. A part of me wished I could live up to the image that my new relatives imagined for me: a corporate lawyer, an American businessman, my hand poised on the spigot, ready to rain down like manna the largesse of the Western world.

…It was the same dilemma that old Frank had posed to me the year I left Hawaii, the same tensions that certain children in Altgeld might suffer if they took too much pleasure in doing their schoolwork, the same perverse survivor’s guilt I could expect to experience if I ever did try to make money and had to pass the throngs of young black men on the corner as I made my way to a downtown office. Without power for the group, a group larger, even, than an extended family, our success always threatened to leave others behind.
(p. 329-330)
Both Barack’s father, and his father before him, had tried to reconcile the white world with their African heritage and failed; failed because, in Barack’s estimation, they had lost faith in their fellow (black) man. This is especially upsetting to Obama because we are led to believe that blacks are inherently communal – a common belief of Afrocentrics.

Indeed, for Obama, Afrocentrism versus Eurocentrism can be easily summed up as communalism versus individualism or, even more simply, black versus white: mutually exclusive ideas that cannot successfully coexist.
Quote:
The emotions between the races could never be pure; even love was tarnished by the desire to find in the other some element that was missing in ourselves. Whether we sought our demons or salvation, the other race would always remain just that: menacing, alien and apart.
(p. 124)
Throughout the book Obama shows his distaste for individualism and its inevitable (he believes) sins of materialism and greed: therefore racial solidarity is the key to black advancement. Thus began his ideas for community organizing and his rejection of American (white) society. And his mantra of change.

Quote:
…I’d pronounce the need for change. Change in the White House, where Reagan and his minions were carrying on their dirty deeds. Change in the Congress, compliant and corrupt. Change in the mood of the country, manic and self absorbed. Change won’t come from the top, I would say. Change will come from mobilized grass roots.

That’s what I’ll do, I’ll organize black folks. At the grass roots. For change.

(p.133)
Obama would quickly become discouraged in Chicago – his naïve idealism was no match for the staggering dysfunction of the black community. His mind would start turning toward the power of black nationalism.
Quote:
In search of some inspiration, I went to hear Kwame Toure’, formerly Stokely Carmichael of SNCC and Black Power fame, speak at Columbia…. Inside, Toure’ was proposing a program to establish economic ties between Africa and Harlem that would circumvent white capitalist imperialism.
(p. 139)
His time in Chicago was a period of coalescence for his emerging nationalist tendencies – he couldn’t help but be influenced by those he talked and worked with.
Quote:
“The first thing you have to realize,” he said, looking at Johnnie and me in turn, “is that the public school system is not about educating black children. Never has been. Inner-city schools are about social control. Period. They’re operated as holding pens – miniature jails, really. It’s only when black children start breaking out of their pens and bothering white people that society even pays any attention to the issue of whether these children are being educated.”

“Just think about what a real education for these children would involve. It would start by giving an understanding of himself, his world, his culture, his community. That’s the starting point of any educational process. That’s what makes a child hungry to learn – the promise of being part of something, of mastering his environment. But for the black child, everything’s turned upside down. From day one, what’s he learning about? Someone else’s history. Someone else’s culture. Not only that, this culture he’s supposed to learn is the same culture that’s systematically rejected him, denied humanity.”

“…I try to give them a different value orientation – something to counteract that materialism and individualism and instant gratification that’s fed to them the other fifteen hours of the day. I teach them that Africans are a communal people.”
(p. 258-259)
Even in Africa he would find no relief from the all pervasive influence of whites. When a waiter ignores Obama and his sister to first serve whites (who the waiter knows will pay) he tries to imagine the motivations of such an African.
Quote:
He’s learned that the same people who controlled the land before independence still control the same land, that he still cannot eat in the restaurants or stay in the hotels that the white man has built. He sees the money of the city swirling above his head, and the technology that spits out goods from its robot mouth. If he is ambitious he will do his best to learn the white man’s language and use the white man’s machines, trying to make ends meet the same way the computer repairman in Newark or the bus driver back in Chicago does, with alternating spurts of enthusiasm or frustration but mostly with resignation. And if you say to him that he’s serving the interests of neocolonialism or some other such thing, he will reply that yes, he will serve if that is what is required. It is the lucky ones who serve: the unlucky ones drift into the murky tide of hustles and odd jobs: many will drown.

Then again, maybe that’s not all that the waiter is feeling. Maybe a part of him still clings to the stories of Mau-Mau, the same part of him that remembers the hush of the village night or the sound of his mother grinding corn under a stone pallet. Something in him still says that the white man’s ways are not his ways, that the objects he may use everyday are not of his making. He remembers a time, a way of imaging himself, that he leaves only at his peril. He can’t escape the grip of his memories. And so he straddles two worlds, uncertain in each, always off balance, playing whichever game staves off the bottomless poverty, careful to let his anger vent itself only on those in the same condition.

A voice says to him yes, changes have come, the old ways lie broken, and you must find a way as fast as you can to feed your belly and stop the white man from laughing at you.

A voice says no, you will sooner burn the earth to the ground.
(p. 314-315)

Last edited by blownragtop; 07-22-2008 at 10:14 PM.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Bullet Sponge

You know, I'd write something like this but it'd be boycotted as racist...
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_frost
You know, I'd write something like this but it'd be boycotted as racist...
As of now, you're just loved for being a racist
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:50 AM
PAN

Nicely posted excerpts!

And it comes as absolutely no surprise that gpamp has apparently bowed out of this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement